Type keyword(s) to search

Media for La Brea

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

When TV's Big Fall Finales Are Airing, Including Grey's Anatomy And One Chicago Shows
By Nick Venable last updated 1 day ago
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/when-tvs-big-fall-finales-are-airing-including-greys-anatomy-and-one-chicago-shows 

Tuesday, November 30

• La Brea Season 1, NBC, 9:00 p.m. (Season Finale)
  • The Hot Zone Season 2, Nat Geo, 10:00 p.m. (Season Finale)
  • Chucky Season 1, Syfy/USA, 10:00 p.m. (Season Finale) 

The Best Shows and Movies to Watch This Week: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, La Brea Season Finale
Tim Surette, Allison Picurro, Kelly Connolly     Nov. 25, 2021
https://www.tvguide.com/news/best-shows-movies-to-watch-this-week-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-la-brea-season-1-finale/ 

THE BEST SHOWS AND MOVIES TO WATCH NEXT WEEK
La Brea
Season 1 finale Tuesday at 9/8c on NBC, Wednesday on Hulu

La Brea is, without a doubt, a stupid show, but it's also the highest-rated of the new stupid shows. If you haven't been following, La Brea is about a group of Los Angelenos who fall into a sinkhole and pop out the other side in 10,000 B.C., while the people back in 2021 try to get them home. There are giant sloths, saber-toothed tigers, and inane bickering and arguing between survivors. The series has been renewed for a second season, meaning you can watch the finale knowing you will get answers to whatever ridiculous cliffhanger ends the season. - Tim Surette ....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

There's a special La Brea fan experience set up at San Diego Comic-Con: Special Edition this weekend...

CAN YOU SURVIVE ‘LA BREA’ EXPERIENCE AT COMIC-CON SPECIAL EDITION? [UPDATE NOVEMBER 26]
In Comic-Con Special Edition, Offsites by Kerry Dixon    November 26, 2021
https://sdccblog.com/2021/11/can-you-survive-la-brea-experience-at-comic-con-special-edition/ 

Something is coming from down below! NBC is surprising attendees at Comic-Con Special Edition with an offsite at the convention for their series La Brea.

Fans will be transported from the Gaslamp Square (501 L Street) near the Tin Fish, back to 10,000 B.C. Iconic elements from the series such as a giant mammoth skull, mountain-like sculptures along with building and car debris from the recent sinkhole off La Brea Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles.

Attendees can stop by all weekend (Friday, November 26 and Saturday, November 27 from 9AM PT – 6PM PT or Sunday, November 28 from 9AM-4PM) for survival-themed giveaways, water refill stations, and photo ops.

Need to recharge after a long day of fighting exhibit floor crowds, er, prehistoric creatures? The area will also have a forest-themed picnic space with water refill and phone-charging stations.
Parks & Cons took a trip back in time to La Brea at the offsite this morning to get a closer look, which included several photo ops including a posed photo looking like you’re falling into the sinkhole from the series.
Additionally, you can score exclusive swag like a La Brea waterbottle and SYFY bag — with staff telling folks to come back later, as they’ll have different swag throughout the weekend.

(Parks and Cons)

Edited by tv echo

Media report on La Brea panel at San Diego Comic-Con: Special Edition yesterday (Nov. 27)...

‘La Brea’ Boss Teases Season 2 Will “Put Characters In Different Worlds’
By Rosy Cordero     November 27, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/11/la-brea-boss-teases-season-2-spoilers-1234880283/ 

The cast and executive producers of NBC’s La Brea appeared virtually at Comic-Con Special Edition on Saturday to discuss the surprise hit which was recently renewed for a second season at NBC.

Panelists included stars Natalie Zea, Eoin Macken, Jon Seda, Chiké Okonkwo, and Nicholas Gonzalez; and co-showrunners David Appelbaum, Steven Lilien, and Bryan Wynbrandt.
“One of the great things about this show is that we had a really long gestation period,” said creator and executive producer Appelbaum. “We started filming the pilot right before the pandemic and then we shut down. We had basically over a year of thinking and planning. We had a mini room of writers where we started developing the stories for the first part of the season and thinking about the arc of the season. That gestation period really allowed us to come up with all these great twists and turns in a way that a lot of network shows never really have the ability to do.”

Zea teased her character Eve’s priorities as the season unravels—especially as she continues to interact with Gonzalez’s Levi Delgado.

“I think she’s doing a lot of compartmentalizing,” she said. “I think at this point, survival has to be sort of no. 1 on the list of things to do. And being horny has to be further down there or so. Weirdly, having to survive is a good distraction for her to be in denial about her personal life which is in shambles. She’s busy trying to save the world!”

Ahead of the show’s Season 1 finale, Seda teases what fans can expect to see from his character Dr. Sam Velez and Sam’s daughter Riley (Veronica St. Clair).

“Everyone’s making their decision on whether they want to go or stay,” he said. “For whatever rhyme or reason, I think Sam and Riley are still holding onto that hope that they’re going to get back to their family. I think they make a solid decision together.”

Of the finale, Appelbaum added, “Without actually giving away what happens, this is a story about a family trying to reconnect—emotionally and physically. They’re on that path in the finale but it won’t be easy.”

“They’re going to be separated in new and interesting ways,” he continued. “We’re going to be putting characters in different worlds moving into Season 2. There are going to be a lot of unexpected surprises that will happen at the end of the finale that is going to put our characters in a lot of different places. But also, we’re going to retain a lot of what we saw in Season 1. There are still going to be characters in the clearing trying to figure out how to survive down [there]. But one of the goals of the show for future seasons is to expand what the show can be.”

La Brea‘s Season 1 finale airs Tuesday, Nov. 30, at 9 p.m.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Media report on La Brea panel at San Diego Comic-Con: Special Edition yesterday (Nov. 27)...

‘La Brea’ Boss Teases Season 2 Will “Put Characters In Different Worlds’
By Rosy Cordero     November 27, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/11/la-brea-boss-teases-season-2-spoilers-1234880283/ 

From that article:

"One of the great things about this show is that we had a really long gestation period,” said creator and executive producer Appelbaum. “We started filming the pilot right before the pandemic and then we shut down. We had basically over a year of thinking and planning. We had a mini room of writers where we started developing the stories for the first part of the season and thinking about the arc of the season. That gestation period really allowed us to come up with all these great twists and turns in a way that a lot of network shows never really have the ability to do.”

They had a year after the pilot was shot -- and this is what they came up with ? Seriously ?

• LOL 6

La Brea Creator Stands by Decision to Not Get Bogged Down by Minutia
By Matt Webb Mitovich / November 29 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/11/29/la-brea-creator-addressed-season-1-nitpicking/ 

If NBC’s La Brea has ever left you wondering when and how Eve managed her first wardrobe change upon landing in 10,000 B.C…. who finally got the Jeep started (and how)… or from where Scott and Veronica got that very handy cow harness… know that that is a feature, and not a bug, of the freshman NBC drama.

Glossing over such small details in the service of a greater good is “certainly” by design, La Brea creator and co-showrunner David Appelbaum told TVLine ahead of the Season 1 finale (airing Tuesday at 9/8c). Over a compact, 10-episode season, “We don’t want to waste too much time in the minutia of how did this happen and how did that happen.”

“A lot of the fun of the show is moving story forward and having momentum,” he continued. And while puzzling over, say, how all the items in a wardrobe trailer stayed on their racks after tumbling down a massive Los Angeles sinkhole can be “fun,” “getting into the nitty gritty details can get a little boring,” he said.

“We do always think about questions like that,” Appelbaum noted, “but we don’t get hung up on them and make the story rest on them. We’re more into pushing the story forward.”
“I do” check in on the discourse, he said. “Also, other writers and friends will send me fun tweets that are happening during the show, so I’m definitely aware of what people are saying online. One of the pleasures of doing this is you work on something so long, it’s fun to see how the audience is reacting to certain things.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
49 minutes ago, tv echo said:

TVline:

other writers and friends will send me fun tweets that are happening during the show, so I’m definitely aware of what people are saying online

Hear that peeps? Get tweetin'!

Edited by shapeshifter
Gack! “Hear” NOT “Here”!

Any word on when they're coming back?  I think retaining viewers depends on it.  If they come back in the late winter/early spring it will be fresh enough for a lot of people to remember,  but if they wait till fall I think people will have forgotten a lot of the details, or just plain lost interest.  Not to mention all the competition from returing established shows in the fall.  I'm also not planning on getting further into a show for 10 episodes a year.  I'd just wait for it on Netflix and watch them all close together,  but that's not what advertisers are paying for, that's what I'm paying for.  And if advertising drops off this will be cancelled and there won't be a season 3.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, eskimo said:

Any word on when they're coming back?  I think retaining viewers depends on it.  If they come back in the late winter/early spring it will be fresh enough for a lot of people to remember,  but if they wait till fall I think people will have forgotten a lot of the details, or just plain lost interest.  Not to mention all the competition from returing established shows in the fall.  I'm also not planning on getting further into a show for 10 episodes a year.  I'd just wait for it on Netflix and watch them all close together,  but that's not what advertisers are paying for, that's what I'm paying for.  And if advertising drops off this will be cancelled and there won't be a season 3.  

This Deadline interview dated yesterday (November 30) does say the writing has already begun and “the production is going to be starting up soon,” but nothing else about expected air-date for season 2, which is not surprising and sounds both realistic and honest.
IMO, given ongoing “supply chain” issues and new travel bans due to the omicron variant, the show’s people will have to be pretty nimble if season 2 will even begin by fall 2022. Maybe ramp up the CGI budget to create believable backgrounds for shots that typically wouldn’t need them???

Lost did a lot of helpful recapping before at least one new season, which La Brea is going to need even more, IMO, given both the likelihood of delays and that viewers will have watched a ton of other stuff in the mean time.

Lost managed to survive the Writers Strike, which might provide a bit of a blueprint for La Brea, but looking at just the titles of that shortened 4th season of Lost, it was really all about strengthening the writing and storytelling, like “The Constant” (wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lost_episodes#Season_4_(2008)). Given the increase in competition these days, I think quality of writing applies even more for La Brea, no matter how long the gap between seasons.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Video of La Brea virtual panel for San Diego Comic-Con: Special Edition (premiered on Nov. 27)...

Comic-Con Panel: Survival and the Unexpected Journey | NBC's La Brea
NBC  Nov 30, 2021

TV Guide Magazine's Damian Holbrook moderates a San Diego Comic-Con panel with the cast and creators of La Brea including Natalie Zea, Eoin Macken, Jon Seda and more.

Edited by tv echo

Spoiler warning - includes talk about Season 2...

La Brea Boss Is Planning a Lot More Surprises in Season 2 After That Shocking Finale
Lauren Piester   November 30, 2021
https://www.tvguide.com/news/la-brea-boss-is-planning-a-lot-more-surprises-in-season-2-after-that-shocking-finale/ 

Sad news, Tar Heads: La Brea Tuesdays are over, but only for now. Season 1 of NBC's delightfully bonkers drama about a sinkhole that opens up in Los Angeles and turns out to be a portal to 10,000 BC has now ended, with a few twists to keep us anxiously awaiting the debut of Season 2. Creator David Appelbaum does not yet know when Season 2 will premiere, but the writers' room is hard at work on what comes next for the survivors of that epic sinkhole. 
I definitely gasped the loudest when Josh and Riley were pulled into the light with Lily. Are they going to 1988? 
David Appelbaum:
One of the important aspects of the show is about seeing if this family can be reunited, and wanting to make that a difficult journey, a challenging journey. So, you know, at the end of Season 1, Gavin and Izzy jump into a sinkhole and land in 10,000 BC and they're going to start this mission to find Eve (Natalie Zea) and everyone in the clearing, but we didn't want the family to come back together immediately. So that was one of the reasons for sending Josh and Riley through the light to where they're going. I don't want to give away exactly what happens, but they are going to be in a different timeline and a completely different world than we've seen so far in the show.

As the show itself pointed out, Seattle is a very long way from LA. Even Topanga was a far walk from La Brea and Wilshire, and Seattle is a whole lot farther. How are Gavin, Izzy, and Ella going to get there? Could someone have a plane down there? 
Appelbaum:
I think people are going to be really surprised by what that journey looks like. It's not going to be anything that I think anyone is really expecting to see. I don't want to give away the method by which they get there, or they try to get there, but there's going to be some interesting twists and turns. I think it's going to be a very satisfying journey. 

I feel like they could find a boat, maybe? 
Appelbaum:
Yeah, they could find a boat. 

We learned in the finale that Aldridge had built a skyscraper in 10,000 BC, but we don't know any more beyond that. Obviously, we've been desperate to know what she's up to for a while, so how did you decide what to reveal and what to hold onto with her?
Appelbaum:
Throughout the season we've teased a mystery with Aldridge that she has a bigger role in all the things that have been happening, from the first time we meet her when she mysteriously has a plane. I think one important aspect of the show is that we know the audience is craving answers, so we want to give those to the audience, but also open up new mysteries as well. We find out in the finale that she was involved in the creation of this building. We don't say what the use of the building is, or why it's here, or who is inside, but that's the next step of the journey. In the beginning of Season 2, we're going to start to unpeel the layers of that onion very quickly. I think the audience can rest assured that there are going to be answers, and they're going to be surprising and fun ones. We're not going to make them wait forever. 

Can you talk about what Season 2 might look like? Obviously, there will be more sets than just the wreckage of the Petersen Auto Museum. 
Appelbaum:
There are a lot of stories set up by the end of the finale. There's going to be Josh and Riley's journey in this strange new world they find themselves in, in this new timeline. There's going to be a new story with Eve and Sam (Jon Seda) trying to figure out what happened to their children and how to get them back. There's Gavin and Izzy's journey in 10,000 BC, trying to figure out how they'll reunite with their family. There'll be Lucas (Josh McKenzie) dealing with the death of his mother. We're going to be introducing new characters as well, so we've really set up a number of stories in the finale that we're going to be picking up with right away in Season 2.

La Brea Creator Sheds Light on [_______]'s Vanishing and the Season 1 Finale's Other Big Twists
By Matt Webb Mitovich / November 30 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/11/30/la-brea-recap-season-1-finale-josh-vanished-gavin-sinkhole/ 

TVLine asked La Brea creator/co-showrunner David Appelbaum many of our burning questions about the freshman finale’s big twists, and where the fall’s No. 1 new drama is heading in Season 2.

TVLINE | OK, first up: Josh, Riley and Lily. Do we the viewers have enough information to make an educated guess about when and where they disappeared to?
I don’t want to say exactly where they go, but in Season 2 they will be in a different time period. Their story will be outside of 10,000 B.C. That will be one of the fun things about Season 2, finding them in a world completely different from anything we’ve seen on the show so far.

TVLINE | I was thinking about what Aldridge said about time being a flat circle or whatever, and that would at least suggest that a portal could deposit someone in the future, beyond 2021. 
It’s possible. One of the fun things about the show is that we want to keep ourselves open to lots of different story possibilities, and the world of these sinkholes and the science we’ve set up behind it allows you to have different time periods that we can explore.
TVLINE | That very modern tower that Aldridge led Scott to — is that going to be a main set for Season 2?
It’s going to be an important set piece, yeah. We are going to explore this building and go into it at a certain point and see what’s inside. I think that’s going to be one of the fun things, really opening up this world that they are in. The animals will always be an important part, but there are a lot of mysteries to explore — and one of the things the audience will be curious about is, “What exactly is this place?”
TVLINE | Is anybody of importance waiting for us inside that tower?
There will be people of importance, absolutely. We will find a lot of interesting things inside there — but I won’t say who or what.

TVLINE | Turning to Gavin, Izzy and Ella…. I did the math, and allowing for eight hours of sleep per night, they have at least a 22-day walk ahead of them, from Seattle to Los Angeles. Do you have any shortcuts planned? Or are they going to saddle up that woolly mammoth?
Well, the adventure of their journey to Los Angeles is going to be a fun story point. I don’t want to give away how they get there or how that journey exactly goes, but it’s going to be one of the big pleasures of Season 2, taking these characters who had been in the modern world this whole time and seeing how they survive in the world down there. There is no clearing, and there are no other people that they’ve fallen down there with, so it’s going to be an interesting thing to see what they do — and if they can get there.
TVLINE | You established that Silas is some sort of scientist peer of Rebecca’s, but people were expecting for another shoe to drop regarding his identity. Is there one to come?
We are going to learn a lot more about him in Season 2. One of the things this show does well is we give the audience answers — we’ve been doing that all season. But there’s only so far we want to push that, and we do want to leave things in question and open to be answered in Season 2. But yes, we’re going to learn more about what his connection to Gavin and to Aldridge is. He’ll be an important part of the story moving ahead.

TVLINE | And just to be clear, Silas is in fact Isaiah’s grandfather?
Yes. He is.

'La Brea’ Boss Teases New Worlds & Time Periods and What’s Next in the Love Triangle in Season 2
Meredith Jacobs   NOVEMBER 30, 2021
https://www.tvinsider.com/1023882/la-brea-season-1-finale-gavin-izzy-10000-bc-josh-portal/ 

How many time periods will we see in Season 2?
David Appelbaum:
I don’t want to say exactly the answer to that, but we will be exploring new worlds and new time periods that we hadn’t seen in Season 1. One of the things we always want to do with the show is expand what it can be. So I think moving into new territory like that will be one of the exciting things [of Season 2].

Gavin, Izzy, and Ella think they’ve made it to 10,000 BC. Have they arrived the same day as Isiah and the others went through the light?
Yes, they have. They’re in the same time period in 10,000 BC as everybody else. That’ll be one of the fun things in Season 2 is tracking Gavin, Izzy, and Ella as they try to get to Eve and everyone in the clearing and seeing these people who were in this modern world for a season now having to contend with the elements of 10,000 BC.
Josh, Riley, and Lilly have been taken somewhere. It’s the same light that was to take Isiah to 1988, but can you definitively say that’s when it took them?
I don’t want to say definitively when it took them, but it has taken them to a different time period and we’re going to watch them and see what happens to them in this new world that they’re encountering. There’s gonna be a lot of fun in exploring completely different terrain than we’ve seen so far on the show.

With Josh and Riley going through the light, something that we didn’t know happens until now, has everything that’s happened so far still happened or might some things have changed because of time travel?
That’s one of the fun things about a time travel show. When they stopped the plane from taking off, then the plane disappeared from the excavation site. So there will be opportunities for playing with time travel like that. We’ll definitely be able to keep things like that open, but it’ll be a case by case thing where we find ways to play with those ideas.
What can you say about the journey you want Josh and Riley to take by going through the light and how it relates to what we’ve seen of them so far?
We’ll continue to develop Josh and Riley’s relationship and their romantic story. That was something we were just kind of scratching the surface of in Season 1. So they’re going to be put on a completely new and exciting adventure and in a new world, but their relationship and their romantic story is going to continue to be at the heart of their journey.

It seems like Levi [Nicholas Gonzalez] would be more than happy to start things up again, but Eve maybe seems torn after what she’s learned about Gavin? Where do the three stand in terms of their feelings?
Like with any good love triangle, it’s a difficult choice. Because of what Eve’s learned about Gavin and his visions have been real, it’s forced her to reconsider her relationship with him. She feels a lot of guilt over the dissolution of their marriage and does have strong feelings for him, but at the same time she can’t help but care about Levi, who was there for her in her difficult period and has continued to be there for her now that he’s come down to 10,000 BC.

Levi loves Eve. But he’s also an honorable man and a good man and knows that she’s struggling, so he doesn’t want to take advantage of anything and pursue a relationship. And also they’ve been on this wild journey and adventure trying to survive and to save Josh. So there hasn’t really been an opportunity in Season 1 to move their romance forward. But I think in Season 2, we’re going to push that story forward. We’re going to delve more into their complicated feelings for each other. There’s going to be an evolution in all of their relationships, but that soapy melodrama is definitely a fun aspect of the show that we want to give more time to.
How’s Gavin feeling? Like Josh said to Levi, Gavin was his best friend.
Gavin, in a lot of ways, feels betrayed by what his best friend did. But he’s also a reasonable and rational person and understands that everyone was going through a difficult time. That’s another complicated relationship that we do want to explore — Gavin and Levi’s — because they do have this deep connection and history. At some point, we do want to thrust them together and seeing them having to be together and work together with this tension hanging over them will be an interesting story to track.

What did you want to do with the relationships in the Harris family — whether people are together or not — in the first season to set up where the second season is taking them?
One of the central parts of the show is trying to find out if this family can be reconnected. They are separated, on the one hand, by distance and time now, but one of the central parts of their story will be about, will they be able to get back together? But they’re also fractured emotionally. There’s so much complicated history that happened before the events of the story began and even if we do at some point get them together, there’s going to be a lot of turmoil and division between them that it’ll be hard to put everything neatly back together. That physical and emotional separation of the family and trying to heal those fractures is the heart of their relationships.
There’s good news and bad news for Ty [Chiké Okonkwo]: He’s maybe found love, but he’s also still dying. Talk about his decision to stay.
Ty, when we met his character at the beginning of the season, was at the lowest point in his life where he was about to commit suicide. But over the course of this first season, he’s found reasons to live, both in how he’s been helping and forming friendships with people in the clearing and through this budding relationship with Paara [Tonantzin Carmelo] who he’s been on this adventure with and has started to form feelings for. He’s realized that whatever remaining time he has left, he’d rather spend it with her and the people that he’s grown to care about. He’s really taken a big journey in terms of what he wants out of his life.
What can you definitively say we know is true about Silas so far?
He is Isiah’s grandfather, which means he’s Gavin’s grandfather, and he and Aldridge [Ming-Zhu Hii] are colleagues and scientists.
What can you say about when he’s from?
[Laughs] I don’t want to say anything about that yet, but Silas is going to be an important part of Season 2 and understanding his connection to this world and deepening his connection to Gavin is going to be one of the fun and exciting things that we’ll get to learn about.

One of the coolest things about the show is that we’re giving the audience answers. We are setting up a lot of mysteries, but I think sometimes shows will set up mysteries and never come back to them. But we are planning to give answers to them and then turn over new mysteries that the audience will be interested in. We’re going to learn more about Silas and his connection to Aldridge and Gavin.

What’s going on with Rebecca and Scott [Rohan Mirchandaney] and that building?
In Season 2, we’re going to explore that building and see why it’s there and understand more about the mysteries and what Aldridge’s connection to it is.
Is that something that’s going to come up in Season 2? The fact that she’s apparently made multiple trips?
Yeah. She’s going to be another character who is important to the show and the mythology and these sinkholes and this building. There are a lot of things we’re going to learn about her as we get into Season 2.

La Brea creator talks the finale's sinkholes, mysteries and if we're headed to the '80s in season 2
By Ruth Kinane    November 30, 2021 
https://ew.com/tv/la-brea-creator-talks-the-season-finales-sinkholes-mysteries-and-if-were-headed-to-the-80s/ 

This is pretty much an action show with some drama in there. What has been most challenging about shooting it? You filmed in Australia, right?
[DAVID APPELBAUM:]
Yes. Shooting in Australia has been an amazing experience. They have this beautiful natural terrain that really suits the environment of 10,000 B.C. in every way. The challenge is really the scale of the project. We have 13 series regulars. We have a huge computer graphics/visual effects budget. There's just a lot of moving pieces. Those are probably the biggest challenges, the scale and scope of the project. But I think with anything, you just manage it piece by piece and break it down into individual parts and then things start to become more manageable.
The luxury of a second season is being able to get into the backstories of your characters. Will there be flashbacks in season 2 to provide that context?
We're always open to doing flashbacks. We did flashbacks for the family in certain episodes in the first season and we'll continue to do that. It's never going to be a show based around flashbacks and we're definitely open to that idea. But certainly un-peeling mysteries and layers to all of these characters down there will be an important part of the show. Also, unveiling new mysteries and layers to the world that they're in. Those two ideas will definitely be at the center of the show in season 2.

So will we get to see the '80s next season? If Isaiah made it there?
I don't want to give away exactly what the story will be, but there will be a new world that the show is moving into. I don't want to give away exactly what we're going to see, but there would definitely be some new worlds to explore.

Okay, let's talk about some of those finale cliffhangers. Is Marybeth (Karina Logue) really dead?
She is dead.
Okay, another big question from the finale: what is that massive building that Aldridge has brought Scott to? I have a feeling you're not going to tell me, but is it at least something we'll find out early in season 2?
Well, that giant building is definitely something that's going to be explored in season 2 and, like with the first season of the show, we're going to give you answers and we're going to allow you to really get into the mystery of it. As far as what exactly it is, I don't want to say because there's some big surprises and reveals in there. But we're gonna go to the building, we're going to go inside of it. We're going to to see ... who was there. And there are going to be a lot of fun twist and repeat.

So we'll learn more about Silas (Mark Lee) and Aldrdige's connection? And the scientists in general?
Yeah, that'll be one of the big driving forces of season 2 as well — what is Aldridge and Silas' connection and their connection to Gavin.

LA BREA CREATOR UNPACKS THE 4 HUGE CLIFFHANGERS FROM THE SEASON 1 FINALE: 'IT'S A LONG JOURNEY'
By Tara Bennett     December 1, 2021
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/la-brea-creator-david-appelbaum-on-the-season-finale 

In last night's season finale, reuniting the Harris clan was absolutely a case of one step forward, one step back. In an exclusive postmortem, creator, executive producer, and co-showrunner David Appelbaum tells SYFY WIRE he and the rest of the writers have been working towards that jaw-dropping collection of cliffhangers all season.

"There's so many cliffhangers at the end of Season 1: Josh and Riley [Veronica St. Clair] going through that light; Scott [Rohan Mirchandaney] and Aldridge [Ming-Zhu Hii] finding that building; and Gavin and Izzy jumping into 10,000 BC," Applebaum says. "There's a lot of things the audience is gonna want to pick up with so we will keep [those stories] moving going forward."
As for the Harris family almost being at least in the same time together, only to have it yanked away by Josh's disappearance in the light, Appelbaum warns that the show is a marathon when it comes to the Harris clan. "One of the central parts of the show is this family and how they are going to be reunited. Separating them and keeping them apart, both across time and emotionally, is one of the central parts of the show. Can they heal the rifts that exist in their relationships? That is one of the big journeys that they're all on, is trying to be reunited. It's a long journey and not making it an easy thing is part of what inspired that idea to send Josh away into the light at the end of Season 1."

As for the cliffhanger where Aldrich reveals to Scott that she's built some kind of huge building in 10,000 BC, we're intrigued. But more importantly, we want more of that odd couple in Season 2. 

Appelbaum laughingly agrees: "Scott is one of the most fun characters to write for. He has an inherent sense of humor. We all heard his voice in our heads from very early on. Putting him with anyone can be fun, but particularly someone like Aldrich is fun because Scott is very into the mysteries and the mythology of this world. And she's the one who holds so many of the answers to that. Seeing the back and forth because of that dynamic is a lot of fun. Aldridge is going to be a really important part in Season 2, as she does claim responsibility for this building. And she is going to be someone who brings us inside of it."

Asked if Season 2 will pick up right from where Season 1 left off, or if there will be a time jump, Appelbaum offers, "I don't want to say exactly when the show's going to pick up. But the show is an adventure ride and a thrill ride. What's really important is that we keep that story momentum going forward, that we had at the end of Season 1."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

When Does La Brea Season 2 Start? (And Will It Still Film in Australia?)
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 1 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/la-brea-season-2-premiere-date-episode-count/ 

1  WHEN DOES FILMING START ON SEASON 2?
Filming of the La Brea pilot began in April 2020, and the 10-episode shoot wrapped in mid-September. Season 2, series creator and co-showrunner Davie Appelbaum tells TVLine, will follow the same pattern, kicking off production in what we in the States call “Spring” 2022.

2  HOW MANY EPISODES WILL BE IN SEASON 2?
Season 1 spanned a compact 10 episodes, and while there is no official word on Season 2’s length, it is expected to be similar if not the exact same. (In other words, this is not a show that will ever do 20-episode seasons.)

3  WILL THE SHOW AGAIN SHOOT IN AUSTRALIA?
Or might some corporate penny-pinching relocate production to, say, good ol’ Vancouver?

Worry not, the Land Down Under will continue to double as the land down under (and 12,000 years to the left). Australia — which was chosen for Season 1 largely for its visual appeal but also as part of Universal Studios Group’s mission to invest in high-end scripted series in the country — “is a fantastic place to shoot,” avows La Brea creator/co-showrunner David Appelbaum. “There’s a natural wonder to the landscape there that is perfect for 10,000 B.C. — things you can’t really get in a lot of other places.” Australia also offers up “really experienced [local] crews, too, that have stepped up at every juncture,” says the EP.

4  WILL THE CAST AGAIN FREEZE THEIR BUTTS OFF?
In a word, probably. So hold onto your shearling, Eve!

With winter spanning June to August in Australia — meaning, right in the heart of La Brea‘s season-long shoot — “We are contending with the natural environment,” co-showrunner Appelbaum notes with a laugh, “and there’s only so much you can do about it.”
5  WHEN WILL SEASON 2 PREMIERE ON NBC?
Though La Brea was originally conceived as possibly a summertime series for NBC, the demands of production and post-production instead dictated a Fall 2021 launch.

Season 2, similarly, will very likely premiere in Fall 2022, but definitely within the traditional 2022-23 TV season. (Meaning, if you were crossing fingers for Season 2 to change things up and air as soon as next summer, that won’t be happening.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
57 minutes ago, tv echo said:

When Does La Brea Season 2 Start? (And Will It Still Film in Australia?)
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 1 2021,
https://tvline.com/lists/la-brea-season-2-premiere-date-episode-count/ 

From👆
With this latest remark from EP Appelbaum, it sounds like Spring 2023 could be an unsurprising S2 start date too:
"Though La Brea was originally conceived as possibly a summertime series for NBC, the demands of production and post-production instead dictated a Fall 2021 launch.
Season 2, similarly, will very likely premiere in Fall 2022, but definitely within the traditional 2022-23 TV season. (Meaning, if you were crossing fingers for Season 2 to change things up and air as soon as next summer, that won’t be happening)" (December 1, 2021).

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

From👆
With this latest remark from EP Appelbaum, it sounds like Spring 2023 could be an unsurprising S2 start date too:
"Though La Brea was originally conceived as possibly a summertime series for NBC, the demands of production and post-production instead dictated a Fall 2021 launch.
Season 2, similarly, will very likely premiere in Fall 2022, but definitely within the traditional 2022-23 TV season. (Meaning, if you were crossing fingers for Season 2 to change things up and air as soon as next summer, that won’t be happening)" (December 1, 2021).

We will need a refresher course in all the storylines by then 

• Love 1

I read this Pajiba review of the S1 finale and became even more confused....

The 'La Brea' Season Finale Plays Musical Chairs with Time
By Dustin Rowles | TV | December 1, 2021
https://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/the-la-brea-season-finale-plays-musical-chairs-with-time.php 

That is ironic because Lily — who is Elle in the present — is now back in 10,000 BC but as an adult. Gavin (Isaiah), Lily, and Izzy managed to find another time portal in a forest outside of Seattle, which took the three of them back to 10,000 BC Seattle which is to say: This whole episode was something akin to a game of switcheroo. Isaiah (future Gavin), Riley, and Elle (past Lily) all managed to find their way to 10,000 BC, while Gavin (past Isaiah), Josh (Riley’s brother), and Lily (future Elle) are all in 1988 now. That means that Elle fell into the La Brea sinkhole as a 10-year-old, lived briefly in 10,000 BC, returned to 1988, lived for another 33 years, and is now back in 10,000 BC as a 43-year-old. It’s all starting to feel like the confusing final season of Dark, where characters traveled into the past, had sex with their grandparents and gave birth to themselves. Or something like that.

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

I read this Pajiba review of the S1 finale and became even more confused....

The 'La Brea' Season Finale Plays Musical Chairs with Time
By Dustin Rowles | TV | December 1, 2021
https://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/the-la-brea-season-finale-plays-musical-chairs-with-time.php 

Heh, it's understandable that anyone reading this would be confused because the writer miss-identifies the characters.
For example, I'm guessing

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Josh (Riley’s brother),

was supposed to be "Josh (Izzy's brother)," right?

But buried in the misspelled (it's "Ella" not "Elle") and wrongly assigned names is a valid point that thus far there has only been one version of a person in a timeline.

• Love 1

Natalie Zea and Jack Martin were at the People's Choice Awards last night (La Brea did not win anything)...

"La Brea" Stars Reveal Time Travel Fantasy at 2021 PCAs | E! People's Choice Awards
E! Red Carpet & Award Shows    Dec 7, 2021

Edited by tv echo

Midseason Ratings Report Card: NBC's Best and Worst Performing Shows
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 28 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/12/28/ratings-2021-2022-tv-season-best-worst-nbc/

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE: Sunday Night Football continues to score a touchdown (allow me the easy puns, OK?), delivering a bigger (and younger) audience than last year… The #OneChicago trifecta remains a beast, drawing slightly smaller but markedly younger audiences than CBS’ well-watched procedurals…. If you clap with one hand for NCIS being TV’s most watched drama, you gotta use the other to applaud SVU, which in its 23rd season barely lost any eyeballs. (Will the Law & Order revival prove a better lead-in than the ever-buzzless Blacklist?)… People rolled their eyes at La Brea, but NBC had the last laugh with those solid, steady numbers…. Ordinary Joe is the sort of “big swing” people beckon network-TV to take, but it’ll be a tough renewal call with those numbers.

Screen-Shot-2021-12-28-at-2.49.57-PM.png 

Edited by tv echo

The 5 worst TV shows of 2021
By Lauren Sarner    December 23, 2021 
https://nypost.com/2021/12/23/the-5-worst-tv-shows-of-2021/

“La Brea,” (NBC)

One of the many, many shows that are still trying to be “Lost,” years after that show’s time in the zeitgeist ended, this one involves a sinkhole opening beneath LA. Naturally, this sends people to a mysterious primeval land (so, it’s got a dash of “Stranger Things” as well). High concept sci-fi should be interesting and fun, and this one simply didn’t get the memo. A derivative slog. 

Edited by tv echo

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on La Brea, Chicago Fire, WCTH, Dynasty, Undone, OMITB, Flash, Ordinary Joe and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 19 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/01/19/la-brea-season-2-spoilers-murder-mystery/ 

Spoiler

I am a fan of La Brea and I can’t really explain the state Season 1 left me in. Can you tell me what Season 2 will be about? –Jimmy
One Season 2 reveal promises to be shocking, literally. Meaning, we’ll find out who/what electrocuted poor Eddie near the clearing. “That is a mystery that is going to be a big part of Season 2, finding out who did that,” La Brea creator/co-showrunner David Appelbaum told me. “It’s going to be a threat to the people in the clearing and it’s going to reemerge as an important story point.” (La Brea Season 2 is anticipated to premiere this fall.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

NBC’s ‘La Brea’ Season 2 Will Return to Australia for Production
By Patrick Frater     Jan 24, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/global/asia/la-brea-season-2-nbc-australia-1235161328/ 

NBC’s hit disaster action series “La Brea” will return to Australia for production of season two. The series will receive $11.5 million (A$16 million) of subsidy from the Australian federal government.

The move was announced on Monday by Paul Fletcher, Australia’s federal Minister for Communications, Urban Infrastructure, Cities and the Arts. He said that the show will film again in Victoria state, but gave no specifics about the timings. NBC announced the show’s renewal in November, after seven episodes had aired.
Fletcher said that filming season two in Victoria is expected to inject more than $83.1 million (A$118 million) into the economy, create jobs for 390 Australian cast and crew, and use the services of around 800 local businesses. Those are larger figures than for the first season, which government estimated had injected an estimated $60.2 million (A$84 million) into the Australian economy and created more than 475 cast and crew jobs.

In addition to filming in Down Under, Universal Studio Group and its Australian production arm Matchbox Pictures committed to partnering with the Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS) on a training initiative dedicated to virtual production.

The Victoria state government will also provide finance for the series, though the sum was not disclosed. “The Victorian Government is proudly backing the state’s screen industry through our A$192 million ($137 million) VICSCREEN strategy, strengthening Victoria’s position as a global screen powerhouse,” said the state’s Acting Minister for Creative Industries, Martin Pakula.

La Brea is flagship international television. It is the type of project that proves and extends the capacity of the Australian screen industry,” said Matchbox COO Matt Vitins. “We are thrilled at the success of season one and to be working again with Universal Television and Keshet Studios on season two.”

Edited by tv echo

Holey hell: Indebted to Lost, La Brea aims to find own path to success
By Karl Quinn    February 2, 2022
https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/holey-hell-indebted-to-lost-la-brea-aims-to-find-own-path-to-success-20220201-p59sty.html 

Since its debut on US television last September, plenty of people have noted the debt La Brea owes to Lost. But star Natalie Zea is not among them.

“I never watched Lost,” she confesses, eliciting from me a shriek of disbelief. “I came very close to getting the Evangeline Lily role [Kate], and actors tend not to watch stuff that they got close to because it’s hard. And then it becomes iconic and years go by and you’re like, ‘Oh, I never watched that.’ So it just never happened.
“I can’t really speak to the comparisons,” she adds. “I know that a lot are being made, and I wish I could answer that question better, but I think maybe I haven’t done my homework enough for it.”
“The idea really started just with an image of a sinkhole opening up in the middle of Los Angeles,” says the series’ creator David Appelbaum, who readily admits the influence of Lost. “It was an image I just couldn’t shake out of my head.
“I’d never seen a television show or a movie begin that way and I knew I wanted to incorporate that imagery in the show, but I didn’t have a story attached to it, so I just started asking questions about this situation: who are the people that fall in; who was left behind; where do they go with this world that they find down here; why did it open up in the first place? Once you start asking questions hundreds more present themselves, and you start to build out a world of characters and a setting. And then eventually there’s enough to write a script.”

It was February 2019 when that image first popped into Appelbaum’s head. NBC shared his enthusiasm for the idea, and by the tail end of the year he had a script ready for the pilot. In early 2020, they started shooting it in Vancouver, “but that’s when the pandemic began, and we shut down for a long time”.

But Appelbaum kept writing, and NBC decided to skip the usual pilot/see how it goes/commission-a-full-season-if-it-works process and went straight to series. And, crucially, the whole thing moved to Australia.

As with all Hollywood productions being shot here, money – in the form of tax offsets and direct grants from the government – was a huge factor. But so too was our success (at the time) in keeping COVID case numbers down.
There will be no excuses when La Brea returns to Australia for a second season in a couple of months. This time there will be 14 episodes, a longer stay, a bigger budget ($118 million). And if all goes well, there will be even more to come after that.

Lost ran for six seasons, and NBC is hoping La Brea – which got tepid reviews from critics, but has been a hit with viewers – might have similar longevity (after all, it does have a 12,000-year timeline to cover).

“I know how many seasons the story arc is,” Zea hints. “I’m not gonna say it, but it’s more than four.”

“The world that we’ve created down there has so many mysteries that we’ve yet to uncover, and so many different aspects of the world that are beyond what we’ve seen in season one,” adds Appelbaum. “Also, we have a really large ensemble cast, all of whom have their own stories, and we’ve just kind of scratched the surface.

“I think it has the potential to go for a long time. As long as people are watching, and as long as we’re coming up with strong storylines, I feel we can keep going.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
(edited)

La Brea Is Back at Work Down Under: Get a First Peek at Season 2 Premiere
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 4 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/05/04/la-brea-season-2-first-look-premiere-script-three-days-later/ 

Production on Season 2 of NBC’s La Brea is underway in Australia, and to mark the occasion, TVLine has an exclusive peek at the premiere.

Like, literally a peek at the premiere — meaning, the front page of the script, which reveals the title for the hit sci-fi drama’s Season 2 opener.
La-Brea-2x01-Script-TVLINE.jpg

“We’re so thrilled to be back in production for Season 2,” La Brea creator and showrunner David Appelbaum tells TVLine. “Can’t wait for our fans to see all of the mysteries and surprises we have in store. It’s going to be an exciting season.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

La Brea Is Back at Work Down Under: Get a First Peek at Season 2 Premiere
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 4 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/05/04/la-brea-season-2-first-look-premiere-script-three-days-later/ 

Hah! I'd forgotten about this show, so thanks!

So,
if they don't ride fast prehistoric animals, and
if they don't step through FTL portals, and
if they travel on foot 12 hours per day,
it will take them 31 days:

image.png.1eba64701c4bb8e5e7e441bd3dff3fa1.png

Of course, they'll likely take a scenic coastal route.
I would.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I would.

Yeah, depending on time of year (summer to fall), that posted route would be deadly hot for a long distance.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So,
if they don't ride fast prehistoric animals, and
if they don't step through FTL portals, and
if they travel on foot 12 hours per day,

For this show? I think the first two options are far more likely than them just walking.

• LOL 1
30 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Can’t they find some horses? The prehistoric ones are still wandering around at that point in history.

Fair point but it assumes anyone knows how to tame and train completely wild never domesticated horses. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Fair point but it assumes anyone knows how to tame and train completely wild never domesticated horses. 

Also fair point. I would assume it took a few generations for horses to become domesticated.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:22 PM, KaveDweller said:

Maybe they'll bump into other people who've been stuck in 10,000 BC who managed to bring some supplies/transportation with them?

Like whoever buried the Confederate gold.  Or built the tower.

• Love 2
(edited)

‘La Brea’: Tonantzin Carmelo and Michelle Vergara Moore Upped To Series Regulars For Season 2

Tonantzin Carmelo plays sexy cavewoman Paara who seems to have just the right medicine to keep Ty living. 

Michelle Vergara Moore is Ella Jones, the artist formerly known as "Lilly", who's artwork are actually memories from her past life in 10,000 BC. 

I agree, we should see way more of both of these women.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1
(edited)

NBC Fall Schedule: ‘La Brea’ Takes Over ‘This Is Us’ Tuesday Slot, ‘Quantum Leap’ Gets ‘The Voice’ Lead-Out
By Jennifer Maas   May 16, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/nbc-fall-schedule-2022-la-brea-the-voice-quantum-leap-1235267433/

NBC revealed its fall 2022-2023 lineup Monday, which includes “La Brea” occupying the current Tuesdays at 9 p.m. home of “This Is Us,” as well as the “Quantum Leap” reboot series taking the coveted post-“The Voice” launchpad. On a season that includes new coach Camila Cabello, that’s an even nicer slot to occupy as the broadcast network’s splashy new drama.
On Tuesdays, “The Voice” will kickoff the night with its one-hour edition at 8 p.m., leading into “La Brea” at 9. With the end of “This Is Us” just two episodes away, NBC had to hand the slot over to another drama for the fall and made the logical choice with breakout hit “La Brea,” which did well in the spot last fall when the final season of “This Is Us” was delayed to midseason due to the pandemic. Tuesdays will close with “New Amsterdam” at 10.
TUESDAY

8-9 P.M. — The Voice

9-10 P.M. — La Brea

10-11 P.M. — New Amsterdam

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
On 5/5/2022 at 7:59 AM, shapeshifter said:

I would.

In 10,000 b.c. the sea levels were even lower, so the 'coastal road' would not be visible on a modern map.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

NFL and This Is Us' Swan Song Top Ratings for 2021-22 TV Season; La Brea and Ghosts Lead Freshman Class
By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 3 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-season-rankings-2021-2022/

TOP NEW DRAMA | 18-49 DEMO
1. La Brea, NBC (0.9 rating, including any available Live+7 DVR playback)
2. FBI: International, CBS (0.8)
2 (tie) NCIS: Hawai’i, CBS (0.8)
3. The Cleaning Lady, Fox (0.7)
3 (tie) Law & Order revival, NBC (0.7)

In Total Viewers
NCIS: Hawai’i, CBS (8.3 million)

Edited by tv echo
  • Mind Blown 1
On 5/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, kariyaki said:

Also fair point. I would assume it took a few generations for horses to become domesticated.

But on this show, there could easily be an "Equus scotti" Whisperer who can instantly domesticate wild horses.
I could actually imagine Scott (Rohan Mirchandaney) appealing to a wild prehistoric horse, but he'd have to first fall through another sink hole into the exact spot and time--which is pretty easy-peasy on this show.
I like the name "Dawn Horse;" maybe a few fell through a rift from 56 million to 33.9 million years ago into the intrepid characters' current time in the more recent past of "12,000 years in the past" (tvline.com/2022/02/22/la-brea-season-2-more-episodes).

‘La Brea’: Jonno Roberts Joins Season 2 Of NBC Series
By Denise Petski    July 15, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/07/la-brea-jonno-roberts-season-2-nbc-series-1235063742/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Wrecked alum Jonno Roberts is set for a major recurring role on the upcoming second season of NBC’s La Brea.

Roberts will play James Mallet, a brilliant scientist and businessman who just might be trying to save the world.
Roberts, who portrayed Declan Stanwick on Wrecked, was most recently seen as Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter & the Cursed Child on Broadway. He also has guest starred on The Rookie and Sweet Tooth, among other credits. Roberts is repped by by Artists & Representatives and Weiner Dale Management.

Jonno-Roberts-NBC.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1 

• Like 1

Who's In? Who's Out? TV's Major Casting Moves for Fall (and Beyond!)
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 20 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-castings-news-spoilers-greys-anatomy-yellowstone-bridgerton/ 

LA BREA
Tonantzin Carmelo and Michelle Vergara Moore have been upped to seres regular for Season 2 of NBC’s freshman hit, in the respective roles of Paara and Ella. Additionally, Jonno Roberts (Wrecked) will recur as James Mallet, “a brilliant scientist and businessman who just might be trying to save the world.”

• Useful 1