Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Apocalypse? Now?! / S05.06: Oops!... I Did It Again

Welcome back, Magicians!  They've been missing for such a long time, but tonight they're back.  The humor, the weirdness, the character interactions.  This is the stuff that made me love Magicians.  Best episodes of the season.

Margo:  "Of course we're the chosen ones.  We're us."  Indeed, Margo, indeed.

All M and E's attempts to fix things were fun.  It makes me wonder, though, how many times these people have died.  Consider 39 times during the first time loops and how many times during these.

Having to talk to whales, who, it turns out, are magicians who are keeping the Kraken locked up.  This is the classic fun weirdness of Magicians.

GREAT to see Eliot's arc.  He pulls himself together, figures things out, saves the day.  We were robbed of Eliot last season with him being the monster all season.  I missed Eliot, and I missed Eliot and Margo.  Great to see him/them again!

What a touching scene between M and E at the end.  Great to see the friends back together again.

I really enjoyed these episodes.

• Love 10

This was a fun two hours. The ironic/hilarious thing is that on This Is Us, they just did a trilogy of episodes that covered the same time period but from three different characters' points of view. I got annoyed having to hear some of the same lines three times, but give me a time loop on The Magicians and I love it!

I loved getting to see Margo and Eliot together again. I know we've seen them together this season, but this was old school Margo and Eliot. But I also loved that Margo always sees through Eliot's bull shit and tried to get him to talk to her about what was upsetting him.

I know that Eliot was feeling haunted by the monster version of himself, but I totally cracked up when it turned out to be Charlton leaving strawberry colored messages and whispering to be polite. I always enjoy seeing old characters come back so I liked seeing Daniel again too. And good to know that he wasn't interested in getting revenge on Penny (also revealing that Margo was willing to sacrifice Penny in order to get Daniel's help - at this point, I think the only person who she wouldn't sacrifice for the greater good is Eliot, unlike Julia who gave up the chance to save the world in order to save Penny just last week).

Speaking of Penny, I like him but I knew they were in a time loop so I laughed when he tried to travel to the moon and ended up a pool of blood.

Heh, Margo should learn to peek under people's mask before jacking them off three times!

For an episode where the world ended multiple times, I laughed A LOT.

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

They mentioned that somebody had to give up their shade to get the moon rock, but the never told us who volunteered.

I'm guessing it was Alice. She probably rationalized that giving it up mean that she wouldn't hurt from missing Quentin anymore. Based on the fact that Julia hugged Kady before the world ended, I assumed that Julia still had her shade.

• LOL 2

This was good! I'm glad they ran them back to back, whatever the reason. The cliff-hanger at the end of the first hour would have been excruciating. 

I really enjoyed the heist-like nature of the first episode, it reminded me a lot of the episode when they all pulled that bank job. It's so nice to have all the characters working together again in the same place, something that has been lacking in the show for far too long. I hope they circle back to Marina because I want to know why she wanted the harmonic convergence to happen and why she hid the depository. (Her new look is distracting though, I didn't even recognize her until someone said her name.)

I appreciate the attention to detail too. Admittedly, without the benefit of the "previouslies" I wouldn't have remembered the half-necklace thing or the fact that Margo and Eliot sprayed themselves with something they stole from Jane Chatwin, which caused them to remember the time loops.  That's some pretty sharp writing. (Side note: the guy who wrote the first episode is also the voice of the bunnies.)

The second episode was even better, but I'm partial to time loop stories. Wonderful character development for Eliot and great to see the return of Todd! And Charlton! 

Let's hope the show can keep up the momentum going forward. It feels like they really pulled it together with these two episodes after a tepid start to the season. I'm so glad they didn't drag this apocalypse thing out for the entire season.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

They mentioned that somebody had to give up their shade to get the moon rock, but the never told us who volunteered.

No one ended up giving up their shade, because they didn’t steal the moon rock, just made security think it was stolen by having Kady look like the daughter, who was the only one that could have stolen it, which distracted them long enough for them to take their attention away from the vault. 

• Useful 4

Any episode with focus on Eliot is just gonna automatically jump up into my favorites. But am I wrong that he didn't really tell Margo all that much that she actually remembered at the end? I don't want Alice to be the only person that knows about the mosaic timeline. I need to watch again, there was so much going on. I did love seeing Charlton again, his facial expressions were cracking me up. 

10 hours ago, emcmac87 said:

No one ended up giving up their shade, because they didn’t steal the moon rock

I'm not sure this is true, didn't she say the shade was in payment for her help? She still helped them. 

As for these episodes: you know when a show has lost you and you're not sure if it's because it's worse than it was before or if it's because it's just... lost you? Well, this show has lost me. I was mostly bored.

Apart from the digs at Trump of course. That shit never gets old.

No one ended up giving up their shade, because they didn’t steal the moon rock, just made security think it was stolen by having Kady look like the daughter, who was the only one that could have stolen it, which distracted them long enough for them to take their attention away from the vault. 

I think the moon rock owner's ex still had to remove the spell that was protecting the moon rock though. I'm unclear whether the spell prevented anyone from removing it from that room or whether it also prevented anyone from using it the way our gang did. They destroyed it in the process of casting so that seems like whatever protection it had needed to be removed.

I didn't realize it was a double episode, I kept wondering how I had missed last week's episode when I went to watch on my streaming service.  

Seemed like I just saw a 'blow up the moon' story line on Agents of Shield, so it was nice that this was wrapped up pretty quick.  I laughed at all the attempts to stop the moon pieces from hitting earth and failing.

I agree that is unclear whether or not Mayakovsky's daughter removed the spell or not, since the moon rock wasn't moved.  I guess we'll find out next week if giving up her shade has affected Alice or Julia.  I agree that if its anyone, its probably Alice.  Julia's been there, done that.

I too had forgotten about the necklace bit until the previouslies.  I did remember the time travel guy.

Margo and Eliot are just the best, especially together.  Of course Margo would piss off the whales.  

I liked seeing both Marina and Charlton again.  I'm pretty sure Marina's desire to have the harmonic convergence happen was the same as the moon rock owner's, take advantage of whoever is left on earth and assume power over them.

45 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I'm pretty sure Marina's desire to have the harmonic convergence happen was the same as the moon rock owner's, take advantage of whoever is left on earth and assume power over them.

The fact you have to assume is the problem. She just pops up suddenly and Mwahahaha's all over everything. It was really clumsy writing, which I do not expect from this show (or at least never used to).

Also, I finally realise what my biggest issue with this episode was - the 'apocalypse' they were trying to save the world from for an entire episode? Was the moon, not the harmonic convergence. So the biggest threat to Earth? Was them. They were just trying to clean up their own damn mess. 

Appleman's usual acting masterclass aside, neither of these episodes were particularly well-written and it showed.

Edited by AudienceofOne
1 hour ago, AudienceofOne said:

The fact you have to assume is the problem. She just pops up suddenly and Mwahahaha's all over everything. It was really clumsy writing, which I do not expect from this show (or at least never used to).

Marina said she needed the power of Harmonic Convergence for her mission. She also learnt from the guy in the hidden library that Kady was going to try to stop it so she followed her to the party. And since Kady's story with the hedges is not over we will know more about said mission later.

19 hours ago, JonasArm said:

My biggest question in all of this concerns Fillory, weren't Margo, Elliot and the rest 300 Fillory years away in the future?

I feel like I missed an entire episode because I am LOST when it comes to Fillory. Are they in two separate timelines, or did everyone leave except Fen? I'm legitimately sure I missed at least part of an episode, and recaps don't help lol 

Edited by RedInk
21 hours ago, JonasArm said:

My biggest question in all of this concerns Fillory, weren't Margo, Elliot and the rest 300 Fillory years away in the future?

When Everett died and all his acquired magic poured back out causing the surges the Earth-verse and the Fillory-verse were knocked out of temporal synch so that 300 years passed on Fillory between the time Margo left Fen and Josh in charge and when she and Elliot returned. Apparently, things have settled back down now so their relative time rates are what they were before. 

Much like Josh, I love a good time loop story!  No different here. 
All of Carlton’s explanations for why he did the things to get Eliot’s attention were hysterical. And man did I cackle at the very end when Margo came around the corner in the background, saw Todd talking to Julia and did this move:

EEA3E49F-B236-4DD9-B32E-31AA51B7CFF9.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Apparently, things have settled back down now so their relative time rates are what they were before. 

300 more years have still passed in Fillory than in our world, though. We may be synced up with Fillory but it's a Fillory that's 300 years away from the Fillory we were synced up with last season. And at the start of this season Margo and Eliot expressed the very real possibility that if they went back through the tree portal they might wind up 300 hundred years later in Earth's future. Thankfully that didn't happen.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, Poltargyst said:

Welcome back, Magicians!  They've been missing for such a long time, but tonight they're back.  The humor, the weirdness, the character interactions.  This is the stuff that made me love Magicians.  Best episodes of the season.

Margo:  "Of course we're the chosen ones.  We're us."  Indeed, Margo, indeed.

All M and E's attempts to fix things were fun.  It makes me wonder, though, how many times these people have died.  Consider 39 times during the first time loops and how many times during these.

Having to talk to whales, who, it turns out, are magicians who are keeping the Kraken locked up.  This is the classic fun weirdness of Magicians.

GREAT to see Eliot's arc.  He pulls himself together, figures things out, saves the day.  We were robbed of Eliot last season with him being the monster all season.  I missed Eliot, and I missed Eliot and Margo.  Great to see him/them again!

What a touching scene between M and E at the end.  Great to see the friends back together again.

I really enjoyed these episodes.

This episode had all of the highlights of reasons I love this show, but I am still so upset about Quentin that it made me realize that I may never have the same enthusiasm that I had before they killed him off. It's a shame. 

Still, Margo and Eliot are my favorite parts of the show. I loved how they tried to come up with a solution by partying. I love getting a lot of Eliot after missing him last season. 

I am a sucker for heists and time loops, so this is as good as it gets. Lol.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved getting to see Margo and Eliot together again. I know we've seen them together this season, but this was old school Margo and Eliot. But I also loved that Margo always sees through Eliot's bull shit and tried to get him to talk to her about what was upsetting him.

I also love that she doesn't expect him to be anyone other than who he is. She saw that he wasn't okay and basically said: okay, you sit this one out. I think that is one of the things this show does right. Characters recognize trauma or depression or grief and recognize that they cannot fix it. 

On 2/13/2020 at 7:28 PM, TexasGal said:

Joining the love for an Eliot heavy episode!  This was good stuff.

Are you the Kraken?

Heee. I loved that line.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:01 PM, Hanahope said:

Margo and Eliot are just the best, especially together.  Of course Margo would piss off the whales.  

I loved when Eliot acknowledged that it sounded like her. 

I have to throw in some love for Josh and his stress baking and love of time loop stories. I really liked these episodes, but as I mentioned above it still felt like something was missing for me. I am scared I won't be able to fully enjoy any of this season because of my bitterness. Sigh.

Nonetheless, I loved the ridiculous and absurd here. I thought Penny exploding was hilarious (sorry Penny). Of course whales are magicians. What else would they be? I loved the sleep deprivation and the return of Charlton and Marina. It was a solid outing for me. 

• Love 1