Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: The Sign of the Uninvited Guest

• Start Topic

Nancy and the Drew Crew follow the latest Lucy Sable murder lead, while simultaneously working to uncover the attempted murder of someone in their community. When both investigations lead back to the same person, Nancy and Nick confront the suspect with their findings.

Promo:

Original air date: 2/26/20

Did you see the stack of books the library worker was carrying?  Yellow spines!

So now Tiffany's murder is solved. Another really good episode. I'm very impressed at how they can keep the suspense up, episode through episode.

Please, no romantic triangles.

I have a pink jacket like Bess's. I bought it at the Warehouse 13 sell-off after the series ended.

• Love 2

I'm so glad they wrapped up the Tiffany Hudson murder; I feared that they would drag it out until the end of the season, so I'm happy one mystery is solved.

And I am not surprised at the killer at all. I was more surprised with the twist that Tiffany wasn't the intended target, but this makes more sense. 

Now, I do think that Nancy has it all wrong on Ryan being Lucy's murderer. He seemed stunned about the messages that were seemingly sent by him. I think Lucy haunting Ryan could be more about her trying to warn him, which is why I suspect someone in his family, rather than him, being Lucy's killer. Well, we have eight more episodes until we likely get that answer.

I still think Karen is shady as hell, but it doesn't help that she rarely appears and when she does, she's fairly useless. She could also be Lucy's killer.

I'm glad Bess figured out that she can't do the whole Lisbeth/Amaya love triangle stuff. So hopefully she ends that ASAP.

I'm not gonna lie, I genuinely thought that Tiffany's sister was going to end up killed by the end. Alas, it seems like she'll be gone for good...maybe? Poor Ace, though. 

So, it really seems like we're heading down a George/Nick romance, with Bess encouraging George to go for Nick. Though I still think Nancy/Nick will prevail, they seem to be heading down another love triangle route. Prediction? It all goes wrong and a whole lot of people get hurt.

• Love 8

Hey, they actually did solve one of the murders!  The previews didn't lie!

So, Tiffany's killer was Joshua a.k.a. Lucy's brother, but the actual intended target was Ryan this entire time, because Joshua; like Nancy; was also under the belief that Ryan killed Lucy after seeing some secret emails that ended unpleasantly.  Of course, not everything was answered, as Nancy is wondering where he got the poison from, and he can't quite answer that since he got electrocuted when he tried to attack her.  Oh, and the whole "his body has now vanished" thing.  Hmm...

That said, I don't think Ryan is going to end up being Lucy's killer in the end.  His reaction seemed sincere, so I think he'll still end up being a red herring.  I'm wondering if someone else had discovered their emails, and set up Lucy by logging in under Ryan's account.  I also think him mentioning that Owen was suppose to be meeting him at the diner on the night of Tiffany's murder will have significance of some kind.

Laura/Tiffany's sister returns and tempts Ace with going to Paris with her, but he refuses because he believes his place is here (this viewer certainly doesn't want him going anywhere!)  I wonder if this is the end for her, or if she'll return for some reason.

Bess is totally shipping Nick/George!

• Love 6

I thought they were going to drag both of those murders out! I'm glad the Tiffany murder has wrapped and she wasn't even the intended target.  So it wasn't even planned.  But of course someone gave him the poison.  And someone removed his body.  Ryan didn't kill Lucy or wrote that email. Lucy is haunting him too so maybe one parent or both?     

• Love 3

I had to laugh when Ryan showed up at the Claw at Laura's request and then asked why there was an audience there upon seeing Nancy et al. You do remember that they all work there, right?

I have to admit that the salad switcheroo was a twist that I didn't see coming. I was like okay, I guess that definitively clears Ryan of being Tiffany's murderer since he was the intended recipient of the poison! But there's still a pretty big hole missing - who supplied the poison? It's not like he used rat poison from Home Depot. They have stressed repeatedly that this is a very rare poison so where did he get it? I'm guessing it's whoever stole his body (but WHY?).

Maybe Owen was the accomplice. He was supposed to be at the meeting at the Claw the night that Tiffany died and he's rich enough to get a rare poison so maybe he gave it to Joshua and then told him that Ryan was going to be there.

I actually suspected that Lucy's mom Patrice might have had something to do with Lucy's murder, but I'll settle for Lucy's brother Joshua being responsible for Tiffany's murder.

Even though Ryan is still a smarmy douche, I believed him when he said that he didn't murder Lucy. Maybe I'm just a sucker, but he seemed like he was being sincere (or at least that he wasn't lying about that). I'm guessing that Mommie Dearest was the one behind Lucy's murder. We already know that she won't hesitate to put a hit out on someone and that she is very protective of the family's reputation. She wouldn't want a poor person like Lucy distracting Ryan from being a Hudson and all the Hudson-ness that goes along with it.

I kind of wish that Ace had said he couldn't leave Horseshoe Bay until he proved to Dominique that he's a better hacker. Can you imagine Laura's reaction to that? But the writers continue to give him funny lines. When Dominique said that they were lucky the library keeps their security footage for a year and then Ace said that was because he told his mom to do it after Serial freaked him out, I totally cracked up.

I loved Nancy sassing Karen and telling her that invading her privacy and stealing her journal =/= "doing her job." Sometimes the actress who plays Nancy annoys me with her vocal fry and mumbling, but that particular scene and earlier when she told Ace and Laura that solving a homicide together is "so romantic" were both great.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

This was a really good episode! The twists and reveals made sense and there was enough suspense to keep it feeling exciting. 

My original guess was Karen for Lucy's killer and I still think that could be the answer, but they have it set up so it could plausibly be Ryan's mom or even potentially Owen. I'd find any of the 3 believable. 

I really don't like love triangles at all, so I'm actually not on board with George and Nick. I'd rather they stick to Nick and Nancy. However, I kind of like Nancy and Ace as potential partners so if the show pairs them as a couple and George/Nick as a couple, then I'm fine with it- as long as it STAYS that way. None of the angst and partner swapping that usually happens in love triangles. And it's not that I think Nancy needs a boyfriend, but this is a CW show so unless she's paired off, it will be pining and hurt feelings. I'd rather she end up with Ace who is smart and kind and seems to be similar to Nancy in that he had some shady hobbies as a teen, if the show wants to shake up the canon couples.

• Love 5

I'm in the not buying Ryan did it camp.  Even if he sent that email, which I don't think he did, I've sent meaner emails at work and you can totally call someone a whore without murdering them.  I hate the TV troupe of someone saying "I wish you'd die" or "I could kill them" either in anger or offhandedly as proof of murder.

• Love 3

I didn't watch the previews, so I was pleasantly surprised one of the season mysteries is solved.

I also enjoyed watching more detective work in this one, though some of the methodology wasn't that believable, like Ace being able to access Lucy's old emails which Tiffany somehow went to the library to read.  Huh?   Or how Nancy was able to use her phone to pinpoint the exact IP location from which Lucy sent the email.

Well, any intelligence from Nancy is a good thing on this show.  Though she didn't realize it was Lucy's brother until that very moment.

You'd think Nancy or you know, the police, would have thought of tracing Tiffany's steps on the day of her death.  Nancy was suddenly prompted to do so because of Lucy ruining her bulletin board?

You'd also think Nancy or you know, the police, would have tried to reconstruct the night of Tiffany's death to find out exactly how poison ended up in the food.  

Having said that, I did enjoy the re-enactment of that night, though I'm not convinced Ryan would have stuck around to play.

I too doubt that Ryan is the killer.  It's only Episode 14 so they need to have a few false leads.  Basically, the question is who was impersonating Ryan.  

Lucy's brother being the murderer isn't really that satisfying.  He was hardly in it, and it's sort of sad.  So Dead Lucy wanted her brother to get caught?  You'd think she could have provided better clues.

• Love 1

I really thought they would drag out the Tiffany mystery all season long, so I am very pleasantly surprised to see it resolved now, in a way more or less works. 

I am definitely in the "Ryan didnt do it" camp. He seemed genuinely shocked to see that conversation between "himself" and Lucy, and I just dont know if Ryan is good enough at faking something like that so quickly. I suspect that it was his family, and that they killed Lucy because they thought she and Ryan would end up together and they didnt want him hooking up with a working class girl. Maybe she was pregnant with his baby, and they messed with the autopsy report? Or maybe Owen is involved, I feel like him being originally meeting with Ryan on murder night will come back again somehow. 

I thought the reveal that it was Lucy's brother trying to kill Ryan was pretty good, and it still leaves us with some lingering questions, like how he got this super rare poison, and where his body went. Was there someone else involved? At first I thought it would be one of Ryan's parents (and they killed Lucy too) or even Karen, but this works pretty well. 

I like the chemistry between George and Nick, but I dont know how I feel about Nancy and George getting into a CW style boyfriend swap. George and Nancy have just started really being friends, and this is inevitably going to end up with hurt feelings. Maybe Nancy temporarily hooks up with Ace for a bit? He just ended things with Karen (yeah you have to stay Ace, we need the comic relief!) and they seem to be hanging together a lot, but even by CW standards, thats a LOT of dating switches.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I saw some chemistry between Ace and Nancy when they were reading the love emails out loud and i think they noticed a little something, too. I would be totally up for this because they would make such a pretty couple and George and Nick have great chemistry.

Count me in a someone who doesn't believe that Ryan is Lucy's killer. I'm betting on someone in his family or Owen. 

• Love 3
On 2/28/2020 at 10:49 AM, Jenniferbug said:

I really don't like love triangles at all, so I'm actually not on board with George and Nick. I'd rather they stick to Nick and Nancy. However, I kind of like Nancy and Ace as potential partners so if the show pairs them as a couple and George/Nick as a couple, then I'm fine with it- as long as it STAYS that way. None of the angst and partner swapping that usually happens in love triangles. And it's not that I think Nancy needs a boyfriend, but this is a CW show so unless she's paired off, it will be pining and hurt feelings. I'd rather she end up with Ace who is smart and kind and seems to be similar to Nancy in that he had some shady hobbies as a teen, if the show wants to shake up the canon couples.

This. I mean, I much prefer Nick/George and Nancy/Ace (or Nancy/Ryan, don't judge me!) to Nancy/Nick but I feel like it's inevitable that Nancy/Nick is endgame and I'm not sure I'm interested in watching couples I like more be eventually ruined so that Nancy/Nick, who do absolutely nothing for me, can get together. Probably would just be better for me if they don't ever give me what I want just so I don't have to watch it be ruined lol.

I am afraid it's gonna turn out that Ryan and Lucy were half siblings so Ryan's mom killed Lucy so that they wouldn't get together. I swear someone here suggested this at some point but now I don't know if I just came up with that on my own. I hope that's not the case because ew lol.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am afraid it's gonna turn out that Ryan and Lucy were half siblings so Ryan's mom killed Lucy so that they wouldn't get together. I swear someone here suggested this at some point but now I don't know if I just came up with that on my own. I hope that's not the case because ew lol.

Ha, how very Veronica Mars/Passions that would be!

• Love 3

Well, that's one way to die 😬😬😬

Switching end game couples has happened before. Rare but still. Oliver and Felicity is a great example - she was hired for one episode and tptb saw the chemistry between them and kept her on and they just blossomed into an amazing couple. I don't think Nancy/Ace and George/Nick have that level of chemistry, I'm just saying it has happened.  

Idk if it's just because I loved him so much on The Fosters but Ace is my favorite character on the show. I love him. 

I really don't understand why, on shows and movies, if a character realizes mid conversation that the person they're talking to is the killer they don't just pretend everything is fine and then be like, ok, later dude. Then walk away and call the police. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I really don't understand why, on shows and movies, if a character realizes mid conversation that the person they're talking to is the killer they don't just pretend everything is fine and then be like, ok, later dude. Then walk away and call the police. 

LOL, so true.  Nancy couldn't have been more obvious when it dawned on her.  

She might have been trying to provoke a confession, maybe?  I wasn't sure but it seemed like she was trying to record with her phone behind her back.  Or maybe she was calling for help?  

1 hour ago, Camera One said:

LOL, so true.  Nancy couldn't have been more obvious when it dawned on her.  

She might have been trying to provoke a confession, maybe?  I wasn't sure but it seemed like she was trying to record with her phone behind her back.  Or maybe she was calling for help?  

She dialed 911 - they showed that on the phone's screen.

27 minutes ago, secnarf said:

She dialed 911 - they showed that on the phone's screen.

Thanks.  I couldn't see too clearly. 

If she wasn't recording a confession, I guess she should have feigned ignorance and just leave.  "I was looking for Nick to help him to pack... I'm so into old computers.  Does it still work?"

Lucy's brother seems like a decent guy but it looked like he had no qualms about killing Nancy as he moved menacingly towards her.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:20 AM, Camera One said:

Or how Nancy was able to use her phone to pinpoint the exact IP location from which Lucy sent the email.

Ace used a program to determine the GPS coordinates on the computer used to send the email, then Nancy typed those GPS coordinates into her phone.

I can't believe Lucy ratted out her little brother like that, so much for family. She can drop a dime on her little brother, but refuses to give any hints about who her killer is.

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I can't believe Lucy ratted out her little brother like that, so much for family. She can drop a dime on her little brother, but refuses to give any hints about who her killer is.

Yea, Lucy is kind of the worst lol.