Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Who to Marry, Where to Live, and Other Non-Show Stuff

• Start Topic

On 10/21/2020 at 9:52 AM, Silver Bells said:

I think I did hear something like that along the line.  I also agree with you about the deal breakers.  

I think when she was able to be married to a man that she was already attracted to, BENNETT, she changed her mind about wanting to be married.

On 5/13/2015 at 5:17 PM, Jellybeans said:

If they could do it in a way were most couples made it work I think most people would do it. Saves time! 🙂

In a way, a lot of us are introduced through a friend.  In my case, my husband was shy to come over to me, so he sent his cousin to soften the blow.  The cousin came over to me with mu husband and said “I want you to meet my baby cousin”.  I laughed and said “are You his lawyer”?.  Then we all laughed, and that was it.  55 yrs ago, haha.  It was a match, and no money involved.     Sorry to repeat, but I just love that story.💞

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 5

We were assigned lab partners in chemistry 101 freshman year of college.  We hit it off and have been married 34+ years and together a few years longer.  When we got married our lab instructor found out and he sent a card shaped like a flask that said...see, I knew there was chemistry.....  still have it tucked away somewhere.

it seems like yesterday that I met him and thought his dark curls were sexy....he still makes me weak in the knees!

• Love 6

I met my husband at a bar I went to with some friends. I noticed him because I like tall guys and he is 6’7. I also noticed it looked like he had a gun holster under his shirt. He told me he would buy me a drink if I could guess what he did for a living and I said “I hope you’re a cop!” We have been married 25 years and yes he is a cop!

• Love 3

Doug and JamieO “acting” in a 1 minute segment in the Lifetime Movie Dear Christmas starring Melissa Hart and Jason Priestley.
Shocked Miss FameHo let Doug have any lines.
Don’t bother wasting any Black Friday online shopping to watch this dog.

• Love 1
On 11/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, humbleopinion said:

Doug and JamieO “acting” in a 1 minute segment in the Lifetime Movie Dear Christmas starring Melissa Hart and Jason Priestley.
Shocked Miss FameHo let Doug have any lines.
Don’t bother wasting any Black Friday online shopping to watch this dog.

I saw that! My husband and I tried to watch this the other night. Shortly after that Jamie and Doug segment we turned it off. It was so stupid. I couldn't do it, even though I kind of love Jason Priestly. I couldn't get past the part where she DROVE from Chicago to Lake Tahoe. What??? And I was distracted by the fact that it looked like her parents house and ALL of the clothes were red and green, just in case we didn't realize it was a Christmas movie. What a dog indeed.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Agree.  There are things to see.  The four times we went tho, it was about 104 degrees outside.  I had to stay in the pool.  I’ve never smelled pot tho .. maybe because it was years ago before it became legal?  Now that I’m thinking, even Cancun and Jamaica are out of the country and maybe not allowed. ☹️

Yes it is verrry hot in the summer! Two years ago I road tripped there with my 10 yo son to meet my friend whose son is close in age and the boys are friends. She had a conference and a free room at the Bellagio. While she was at her conference  I marched the boys down the strip mid afternoon to the Avengers Experience at Treasure Island. It’s about a 30-40 minute walk. It was about 110 degrees. I swear those boys acted like it was a death March! 😂

I don’t know about Jamaica but Mexico is definitely open so they totally could have gone to Cancun!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Yes it is verrry hot in the summer! Two years ago I road tripped there with my 10 yo son to meet my friend whose son is close in age and the boys are friends. She had a conference and a free room at the Bellagio. While she was at her conference  I marched the boys down the strip mid afternoon to the Avengers Experience at Treasure Island. It’s about a 30-40 minute walk. It was about 110 degrees. I swear those boys acted like it was a death March! 😂

I don’t know about Jamaica but Mexico is definitely open so they totally could have gone to Cancun!

We flew from New York to Vegas.  Like I said, we did go to Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon.  I was pissed because I wanted to drive to California thru Death Valley.  But, my big, tough, three year Army guy was afraid we would maybe get stuck in the valley, so that was out.  I was so close, yet so far, lol.  Oh, and I wanted to go to a couple of ghost towns, but he wasn’t interested.  We flew halfway across the country so he could play slots, which he could have done where we live.  He’s a stay at home sports watcher .. I’m an adventurer.  Dammit.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

We flew from New York to Vegas.  Like I said, we did go to Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon.  I was pissed because I wanted to drive to California thru Death Valley.  But, my big, tough, three year Army guy was afraid we would maybe get stuck in the valley, so that was out.  I was so close, yet so far, lol.  Oh, and I wanted to go to a couple of ghost towns, but he wasn’t interested.  We flew halfway across the country so he could play slots, which he could have done where we live.  He’s a stay at home sports watcher .. I’m an adventurer.  Dammit.

A went to Vegas a few years ago with a friend who'd never been before - I'd been a few times. We rented a car one day and did the Death Valley thing. It was amazing. We were there in March and it was still incredibly hot, and we made sure when we were walking in a section that was sand dunes that we left markers (empty water bottles that we picked up on the way back) - and we didn't go more than a few hundred yards. I'm glad we did, as there was a weird mirage where it looked as if the car park was not behind us (as we knew it was) but way over to the right. I can see how people can get lost there. We also saw a roadrunner cross the road followed by a coyote (!), and there are so many different places to see - the Golden Canyon, Zabriskie Point at sunset, Ash Meadows... it was astonishing.

I said to my friend that, as he'd not been to Vegas before, we'd do whatever he wanted - with one exception. I insisted that we went to see Donny Osmond at the Flamingo. I was going to marry him when I was 14, and still love him as much as I did in 1973.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Yeah that’s a little far to go just for some slots! I live in California. It’s a 45 minute plane ride or a five hour car ride. In non-pandemic years we go once or twice a year. It’s regularly 100 degrees plus from May through October where I live so the heat doesn’t bother me, but I could see it being hard if you’re not used to it, just like I feel like I’m dying every time I go to the east coast or Midwest in the summer. I cannot stand humidity! Back to our show.......

It seems like most of these people, other than Virginia have been to Vegas before, so it doesn’t seem that exciting to go there for a honeymoon. It’s not a romantic place. They are staying at Mandalay Bay, right? What an ugly hotel for a honeymoon! They could have at least put them in The Bellagio or The Venetian!

• Love 3

Las Vegas to Zion NP  is only a 2 hour drive for Angel's Landing and The Narrows hikes.

Then another 90 minutes to Bryce Canyon and the hoodoos.

Then drive back to LV or continue and do the rest of Utah's NPs.

Antelope Canyon is also good to bundle with the Grand Canyon or maybe Monument Valley.

Las Vegas has Valley of Fire and Red Rocks Canyon to hike if you want to stay close to the slots..

• Love 1

I've actually been dipping my toe into the dating waters after divorce (my idea so not real anxious to get back into anything).  So, deal breakers:  illegal drugs, heavy drinking, smoking, too hard core political in either direction (i.e. nut jobs), mental illness, lying, problem adult children (family drama and chaos), children out of wedlock, history of cheating or abuse, any type of weird sex.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Jerry Orbach singing live as Lumiere at the Oscars from Beauty and the Beast

I love a kick line to the big finish.....Bravo!

I always felt like L&O missed an opportunity the entire time Jerry Orbach's Lennie Briscoe was partnered with Jesse L. Martin's Ed Green. Two Broadway vets and Martin's singing voice is incredible. Surely there could have been one scene with the two of them singing along to a song in a bar?

RIP Jerry Orbach. You are missed.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Oh, um... wow. 😬

I think these were chose specifically for this show because of their issues.  Well, should be 'interesting', I guess.

After I'd read the description of each participant, I thought "Gee, are you people that oblivious you don't know why you can't find a partner? Because it's glaringly obvious to me!"

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I think this sums it up perfectly! It's a little bit like Olivia and Brett last season. Honestly, these are the couples make this show - not the total obvious villains like Chris. There's nothing to discuss there because there is only one way to see that couple - toxic.

With a couple like Jake or Haley I think everyone's personal experiences and own stories influence whose side you will end up on, much like Brett and Olivia. But at the end of the day, neither of these people are horrible, just horribly mismatched. They both seem much more likeable when apart. It would be best for them to end it now and go their own separate ways. That being said........Team Jake all they way! ;-0

I really struggled to finish this one. I have been care taking my husband who just had back surgery on Wednesday. I just couldn't concentrate. I only remember Jake and Haley and a sad/awkward dinner and wedding video for Clara & Ryan. Something is definitely wrong there. If they don't make it I will not be shocked, but I do admit it will make me kind of sad. Were Vincent and Brianna even on this episode? I would rewatch but I just don't have it in me to sit through this nonsense twice!

Tell your husband “welcome to the Club”.  My hubs and I both had back surgery.  Fusions with plates and bolts.  😀😀

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Tell your husband “welcome to the Club”.  My hubs and I both had back surgery.  Fusions with plates and bolts.  😀😀

Oof - I feel for you! Based on the way he's acting, I can tell it's painful. He had a disk replacement after three years living with the pain. It's been a week, I tell ya - my normally health and fitness hubs (he is built like Jake) has turned into a giant man baby. I swear, I birthed two children with less drama than I am getting from him.  I had a call with his doctor yesterday, and after that phone call, I am done babying him. Just call me Nurse Ratched. Fun times 😜

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Oof - I feel for you! Based on the way he's acting, I can tell it's painful. He had a disk replacement after three years living with the pain. It's been a week, I tell ya - my normally health and fitness hubs (he is built like Jake) has turned into a giant man baby. I swear, I birthed two children with less drama than I am getting from him.  I had a call with his doctor yesterday, and after that phone call, I am done babying him. Just call me Nurse Ratched. Fun times 😜

It sounds disgusting, but my husband put a bucket by our bed so I could pee in it as I could NOT walk 5 feet to the bathroom the first week.  He emptied and washed out bucket every morning, and waited on me for about three weeks.  I did the same for him.  The pain is unbelievable.  Now, I need another fusion, but won’t go.  It’s too much.  Pre- op, P.T. the dr. Visits.  This is the only time they can complain, so they go for all they can get.  I told him now try to shit out three watermelons.  You’ll see what pain is.  🥵😝

• LOL 2
28 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

It sounds disgusting, but my husband put a bucket by our bed so I could pee in it as I could NOT walk 5 feet to the bathroom the first week.  He emptied and washed out bucket every morning, and waited on me for about three weeks.  I did the same for him.  The pain is unbelievable.  Now, I need another fusion, but won’t go.  It’s too much.  Pre- op, P.T. the dr. Visits.  This is the only time they can complain, so they go for all they can get.  I told him now try to shit out three watermelons.  You’ll see what pain is.  🥵😝

OMG that sounds horrible! I am kind of pissed bc my husband's surgeon totally downplayed the post-op/recovery so we were shocked at how much pain he's in. I brought him home and he asked for a bottle to pee in as he was sitting on my couch and I said, aw hell no. Sorry for the pain, but take your walker and shuffle off to the toilet dude! It's day 7 and I have him walking for the first time in a week without a walker. Baby steps!

But seriously, this is the stuff of real life. This is why I roll my eyes at the people on this show - they are looking for some happily ever after fantasy, but instead it's peeing in buckets and bottles and a spouse who is willing to clean that up for you. Speaking of, I have to go run by CVS when I get off work in an hour to pick up a suppository bc this guy has not pooped in a week and we are reaching crisis mode. For better or for worse, amiright? ;-0

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Does anyone know what happened to @Neurochick?  I haven't seen her around since last Fall and I used to appreciate her posts especially in the MAFS threads.  PM me if necessary, thanks.

I was thinking the exact thing.  I did see her very recently on one of the threads, but can’t remember which one.  It might be MAFS Australia?  Or somewhere else I’ve been.  If I see her again, I’ll pm you.  There are lots of new names.  People get banned, then get a new name and start again.  I did, lol.

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I was thinking the exact thing.  I did see her very recently on one of the threads, but can’t remember which one.  It might be MAFS Australia?  Or somewhere else I’ve been.  If I see her again, I’ll pm you.  There are lots of new names.  People get banned, then get a new name and start again.  I did, lol.

I looked at her profile and it looks like she stopped posting at the very end of December 2020.  I thought maybe if she's posting under a new name she'd PM me if I posted about her.

I got banned once too.  I was one of the earliest posters in this thread and you liked my post, LOL.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I looked at her profile and it looks like she stopped posting at the very end of December 2020.  I thought maybe if she's posting under a new name she'd PM me if I posted about her.

I got banned once too.  I was one of the earliest posters in this thread and you liked my post, LOL.

Haha, I think we all did at one point.  I still like your posts, and you!   I just don’t like Haley, lol.    Btw, whatever happened to Reality Police?  She was very sick in hospital and was set to come home and then nothing.  I’ve pmd her but no answer ???? And Walnut Queen.  Two lovely people.  I hope they are o.k.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Haha, I think we all did at one point.  I still like your posts, and you!   I just don’t like Haley, lol.    Btw, whatever happened to Reality Police?  She was very sick in hospital and was set to come home and then nothing.  I’ve pmd her but no answer ???? And Walnut Queen.  Two lovely people.  I hope they are o.k.

I don't remember Reality Police but I know Walnut Queen for a very long time.  I think she came over from TWOP when I came here in 2014.  I hadn't realized she disappeared.  I thought maybe she was just watching different shows.  I was wondering what happened to Buttersister too but suddenly she reappeared and I hadn't seen her post for YEARS.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2021 at 10:11 PM, Yeah No said:

I don't remember Reality Police but I know Walnut Queen for a very long time.  I think she came over from TWOP when I came here in 2014.  I hadn't realized she disappeared.  I thought maybe she was just watching different shows.  I was wondering what happened to Buttersister too but suddenly she reappeared and I hadn't seen her post for YEARS.

I was Elevation on Mighty Big TV and TWOP but never made it even close to Stalker status!

• Love 1

I haven’t watched this series since Season 3, I think. But I tuned back in for the latest season and now I’m hooked. My cable actually has the entire series On Demand! Catching up on 10 seasons seems a bit daunting, though, so which seasons would you recommend as a must-watch? If you just remember certain couples names but not the season number, I can Google and figure it out. Thanks!

1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

I haven’t watched this series since Season 3, I think. But I tuned back in for the latest season and now I’m hooked. My cable actually has the entire series On Demand! Catching up on 10 seasons seems a bit daunting, though, so which seasons would you recommend as a must-watch? If you just remember certain couples names but not the season number, I can Google and figure it out. Thanks!

Definitely New Orleans. Definitely not Houston or Atlanta unless your goal is just to watch the car crash. Both seasons were hot garbage.

Edited by Ilovepie
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Definitely New Orleans. Definitely not Houston or Atlanta unless your goal is just to watch the car crash. Both seasons were hot garbage.

Hmm. Well, I’m a Bachelor viewer who is “Here for the Wrong Reasons” if you know what that means. If it’s high drama entertainment, I’m in. Thanks for the tips!

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

Hmm. Well, I’m a Bachelor viewer who is “Here for the Wrong Reasons” if you know what that means. If it’s high drama entertainment, I’m in. Thanks for the tips!

In that case, I direct your attention to season 12 in Atlanta, the "most dramatic season yet!" ;-p

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

I recommend the NOLA season also. Washington D.C. was a disaster. Houston was also really bad. Atlanta had its moments. If you watch it, I would recommend fast-forwarding through any segments with Chris and/or Paige. Just my two cents.

Or if you love the draaahhhma watch ALL of the Chris/Paige interactions. Also, Chris/anybody else interactions.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 1/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, JenE4 said:

Thank you! I’ll watch that one first.

Please post and let us know how you like Atlanta episodes. I agree watch, New Orleans second as it is very good in a different way.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, gingerandcloves said:

I recommend the NOLA season also. Washington D.C. was a disaster. Houston was also really bad. Atlanta had its moments. If you watch it, I would recommend fast-forwarding through any segments with Chris and/or Paige. Just my two cents.

It’s funny, I remember criticizing the NOLA season (12) early on for being boring. But by the end of the season, I loved that the couples mostly dealt with “normal” relationship issues—and the early days of COVID. There was the expected reality show editing and producer antics, but this season remains my favorite. 

I haven’t been able to finish most of the other recent seasons—my heart breaks too much for these couples and what the producers put them through. 

Charlotte (9) had some cringey moments, but I remember having lively discussions in the forum. And I liked most of the couples. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Wait, was everything Lindsey said in the bathroom on the PA system? I think Chris and Mark should go bro it up back in PR.

I couldn’t find a forum for My Killer Body, but are these women going to board certified surgeons or do they just have really bad luck? Very few reputable surgeons will even do butt implants in the US. Sorry for the off topic. I’m just smh. 

Well, one woman this episode had her procedure done in a hotel room with a woman who mixed baby/mineral oil with freeze pack solution and called the resulting jug silicon so...

2 minutes ago, PupCal said:

Well, one woman this episode had her procedure done in a hotel room with a woman who mixed baby/mineral oil with freeze pack solution and called the resulting jug silicon so...

Thanks! I guess that answers my question. 😫

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I didn't say it was. I live in New Jersey. I live in the east. Money goes further in Boston than it does in the nj. NJ is crazy expensive to live in. I make less than Mark seems to while i live in my own townhouse, have no debt, have savings in the bank, save money every month, never miss a bill and never struggle for money. Im also not rich by any means. Never have been. I see the world. I understand the struggle. Six figures is not the norm in any state of the country. Certain areas in certain states. Sure. But, that's splitting hairs. 

@Racj82, here are links to some articles ranking the top ten states with the highest cost of living in the US.  In the first two, New Jersey is not even on the top ten list.  On the second, it is tenth on the list while CT and MA rank with higher costs of living.  

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/most-expensive-states-to-live-in

https://www.insure.com/cost-of-living-by-state.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/these-are-americas-most-expensive-states-to-live-in.html

This one below, based on the government cost of living index places MA as 5th on the list, while CT is 8th.  NJ is 12th!

https://meric.mo.gov/data/cost-living-data-series

So this is why I don't agree with you.  Some of what you may be experiencing may be because NJ is very expensive in some areas and not as expensive in others.  Bergen County is very high compared with other counties.  The people on MAFS are living not only in one of the most expensive states in the nation, but they are living in one of the most expensive cities in the entire country when cost of living is factored into the equation.  Here is an Investopedia list  of the top 10 most expensive cities in the US.  Boston is number 4 on the list under NY, San Francisco and Honolulu in that order.

CT is also extremely expensive.  Sure, we have areas that are less expensive, but especially in the cities and their suburbs it can be very high.  If an admin. assistant can make upwards of $65,000 per year 6 years ago in Hartford (which is when I stopped working), I can't imagine what it must be like now to live on that as rents and housing prices, plus groceries (all thanks to the pandemic) have gone way up.  I was living alone on $55,000 ten years ago and struggling, and I didn't have a lavish lifestyle either.  I was lucky and had a comparatively cheap apartment in not such a fashionable neighborhood.  And even THEN it was hard to get by.  And believe me, I'm the queen of budgeting.  I cook for myself.  I shop in off price places.

So Mark, selling gym memberships?  Not a lucrative career.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

@Racj82, here are links to some articles ranking the top ten states with the highest cost of living in the US.  In the first two, New Jersey is not even on the top ten list.  On the second, it is tenth on the list while CT and MA rank with higher costs of living.  

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/most-expensive-states-to-live-in

https://www.insure.com/cost-of-living-by-state.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/these-are-americas-most-expensive-states-to-live-in.html

This one below, based on the government cost of living index places MA as 5th on the list, while CT is 8th.  NJ is 12th!

https://meric.mo.gov/data/cost-living-data-series

So this is why I don't agree with you.  Some of what you may be experiencing may be because NJ is very expensive in some areas and not as expensive in others.  Bergen County is very high compared with other counties.  The people on MAFS are living not only in one of the most expensive states in the nation, but they are living in one of the most expensive cities in the entire country when cost of living is factored into the equation.  Here is an Investopedia list  of the top 10 most expensive cities in the US.  Boston is number 4 on the list under NY, San Francisco and Honolulu in that order.

CT is also extremely expensive.  Sure, we have areas that are less expensive, but especially in the cities and their suburbs it can be very high.  If an admin. assistant can make upwards of $65,000 per year 6 years ago in Hartford (which is when I stopped working), I can't imagine what it must be like now to live on that as rents and housing prices, plus groceries (all thanks to the pandemic) have gone way up.  I was living alone on $55,000 ten years ago and struggling, and I didn't have a lavish lifestyle either.  I was lucky and had a comparatively cheap apartment in not such a fashionable neighborhood.  And even THEN it was hard to get by.  And believe me, I'm the queen of budgeting.  I cook for myself.  I shop in off price places.

So Mark, selling gym memberships?  Not a lucrative career.

I agree.  I was reading on Boston.com earlier that Boston has the second highest rents after San Francisco.  Average rent for one bedroom in South Boston is $2375/month, well above the national average of $1688.  This is why there are not many working class folks left in Southie.  Mark's friend had on a Brockton t-shirt.  If Mark lives there, the rents are a lot less so he is probably living well with his salary as the average rent is $1400.  .  

Well this is really interesting. I assumed Boston would be fairly expensive, I had no idea it was this much so. I would never dream of dunking on anyone for what they do or how much they make, but I get why $65k isn't great for that area.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Three million dollars?  A year?  Right off the bat? 

You're right that she doesn't say that directly, but I don't hear it indirectly, or even hear any math that would result in that. 

It cost a million dollars nowadays to raise a kid, 0-18, not including college and private school if you are into that.