Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: In Dreams Begin Responsibilities

ShortyMac

Multiple Emmy Award-winner Edie Falco stars as a former high-ranking NYPD officer who becomes the first female chief of police for Los Angeles.

Air date: 2/6/2020

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this... I like the chief of staff.. I liked that they explained why it was potentially a bad move for tommy to act the way she did... We've got some real scumbags... But they are amusing... The relationship with the daughter is tense but realistic so far... ( I'm guessing she was in the closet for a while had the husband and Daughter.. And that put stress on her not living her truth... Add that to the normal pressures of the job..  Almost getting raped.. Probably was closed off as a parent)  

• Love 6

I follow Edie like an adoring puppy. Love seeing a naturally maturing face.

And I really like that the actors look like real people.

Adelaide Clemons (the blonde PR guru) was so great in Rectify. Good to see her again.

I thought the creepy guys in cars were child abductors. So glad that was not the case. Of course, the writers just had to make the child a victim of abuse, as if her story was not already dramatic enough.

I wish this was set in a different city. I like variety in series locations and LA is overdone.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, cheetahchirps said:

Agreed, they’re ticking all the boxes to appeal to women in today’s America, but Edie elevates anything she appears in, so I’ll be back  next week.

I'm a woman in today's America and they are sure appealing to me. I missed the first 15 minutes due to cat but I really enjoyed the rest. I love the cast dynamic and I'm super excited to see Thomas Sadoski again. I loved him in The Newsroom.

Tommy seems like it's going to be a middle of the road drama. Not one that makes me bawl every week (looking at you This is Us and shows in Shondaland) but just a solid drama.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I wish this was set in a different city. I like variety in series locations and LA is overdone

These days there are probably more L&O-type shows set in Chicago than anywhere, and not so many in LA. No?

22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Tommy seems like it's going to be a middle of the road drama. Not one that makes me bawl every week (looking at you This is Us and shows in Shondaland) but just a solid drama.

Yes. No weekly 3-hankie shows for me. 
If I quit this show it will likely be due as much to too much soap operatics than anything else.  

• Love 2

Edie Falco is a queen as far as I'm concerned so I'll watch anything she does.  That said, I did like this.  It was a bit uneven but that's to be expected from pilots and the potential is there in a solid cast.  The mayor could be an interesting character.

I got a kick out of Tommy turning down the woman in the bar (Layla from Arrow?) because at her stage in life she'd much rather have the extra hour of sleep.  😂😂

• Love 11

The writers missed a golden opportunity. Near the end, someone said something to Tommy about learning things by watching "The Godfather." He should have said by watching "The Sopranos."

Anyway , a few too many things going on. But I adore EF too.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I've heard a lot about Edie Falco but never really watched her in anything, so I was hyped to give this a try.

It was...ordinary.

A good actor can cover a multitude of sins, but this is pretty cookie-cutter writing so far.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm a woman in today's America and they are sure appealing to me. I missed the first 15 minutes due to cat but I really enjoyed the rest. 

It was the opposite for me. I was done after ten minutes, but the cat wasn't ready to get up yet. Fortunately, he decided it was bedtime after another 20 minutes (I admit his attention span and tolerance are a lot better than mine).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thought the show was ok.  Somewhat formulaic, but that can be ok.  I like Edie Falco and I like that she looks like a person who could be in that job (as opposed to how shows tend to really glam up the star female actress).    I think the first episode did a good job of introducing the players and my guess is that we will see more of that beautiful woman Tommy turned down at the bar.  

My companion, who is a 72 year old male, was not thrilled with the show.  He likes the more traditional cops n robbers stuff (like the FBI shows) so this didn't appeal to him, and my guess is that more women than men will want to watch this show.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

My companion, who is a 72 year old male, was not thrilled with the show.  He likes the more traditional cops n robbers stuff (like the FBI shows) so this didn't appeal to him, and my guess is that more women than men will want to watch this show.  

74 year old male here and I'm in. EF is one of my faves. Just loved her as Carmela and Jackie. Hoping her Tommy also fulfills my expectation.

• Love 7

Go ahead, tick my boxes.

Sure, it's a procedural on CBS, and the plot twists and formula is clearly visible. But I like the characters, I like the point of view, and I liked the episode a lot. It might use the same basic structure of a lot of network shows, but it's airing perspectives that aren't seen nearly enough, and I'm here for that.

I'm glad Edie Falco is finally on a show I can watch without paying for "premium" channels.

And I know it's a cliche, but it's true about a NY slice.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

What I wouldn't give for a NY slice or two or three.

Three things I miss immensely since moving out of NYC is pizza, egg rolls, and Italian bread.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, preeya said:
22 minutes ago, possibilities said:

What I wouldn't give for a NY slice or two or three

And this is why they didn’t set the show in Chicago —where we have real pizza. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Starchild said:

I've heard a lot about Edie Falco but never really watched her in anything, so I was hyped to give this a try.

It was...ordinary.

A good actor can cover a multitude of sins, but this is pretty cookie-cutter writing so far.

It is like Deputy without the bang bang violence and more office politics. Add in a federal judge forcing the diversity hiring like 9-1-1 Lone Star.  Only instead of the LA Sheriff in tan and an old car we have a LAPD Chief in blue

5 hours ago, Raja said:

It is like Deputy without the bang bang violence and more office politics. Add in a federal judge forcing the diversity hiring like 9-1-1 Lone Star.  Only instead of the LA Sheriff in tan and an old car we have a LAPD Chief in blue

They have a good amount of the same Bones.. These shows are like first cousins... Because I went in thinking deputy.. Which has kept my interest as a weekly cop show... And I saw many similarities but different executions... Looking fwd to how it keeps going.. Particularly how it went down with her daughter's dad.. Is he still alive?  

I could watch Edie Falco read a telephone book if such things existed.

She is a beautiful woman who naturally ages.  Loved her in anything she does.

I did like the pilot.  I was surprised that the story line was as revealing as it was.  Usually pilots skimp on substance of the main character, only revealing basic stuff to keep you watching in the future.  Look how long NCIS took to explore its Gibbs character.

It did win its time slot in the ratings.  It's survival all depends on how CBS uses it in its future fall and/or winter schedule and if the fall 2020 drama pilots are any good.

• Love 5

I agree it is CBS formulaic. That isn't always bad. So many actors I enjoy, and I love anything Falco does. I think I'm going to enjoy the characters. And, yes, there were the obligatory pilot issues. I look forward to more episodes. 

• Love 1

Ok.  I wasn't really expecting to like this but it was.....ok.  

Procedurals aren't really my thing.  Criminal Minds is my only real procedural and that is coming to an end so.....  This has a bunch of things I like about it but also the piloty aspect that does need to be worked on.  

I really like Tommy and making her a late in life lesbian is something that is going to anger a bunch of CBS traditonalists but I find it the most interesting thing about the show.  Someone who is just discovering the part of herself but at very inconvient time in her life when people are more fascinated with her sexuality then she actually is.    

I haven't really gotten the names of anyone else yet but I can see where a bunch of the storylines will be going.   The dude who use to have her job bites back at every action she takes.  They mayor trying to have it both ways.  Some people in the LAPD have her back while others are use to the way things were and resent her presence and the real changes she is trying to make.   

Plus Eddie Falco.

This has potential.  We will see where it goes.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, LisaM said:

Having Tommy move in with her daughter's family is a smart idea. 

The actress who played her daughter is only listed in the pilot episode on IMDB, so I'm not sure where they are going to go from there.

• Love 1

I don't watch any of the other procedurals so I'm fine with the formula here -- it's new to me.  Except that I thought the mayor was going to tell Tommy to watch The Wire for an education in crime, not The Godfather.  But as stated above, The Sopranos would be good too.

I have a lot of respect for Edie Falco as an actor but I really didn't like the characters of Carmela Soprano or Nurse Jackie (only watched the first season of NJ though).  It's early yet but I like Tommy.  Her vulnerability makes her sympathetic, but she's also strong and confident. 

I like the minor characters, and I like that the dialogue was quick and snappy.  Also like seeing Adelaide Clemons from Rectify -- but I don't recognize anyone else.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I don't watch any of the other procedurals so I'm fine with the formula here -- it's new to me.  Except that I thought the mayor was going to tell Tommy to watch The Wire for an education in crime, not The Godfather.  But as stated above, The Sopranos would be good too.

There is no way in hell that any big city Mayor, especially one looking for his next office when he is termed out of office, would make any analogy between his city and Baltimore of The Wire.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I like the minor characters, and I like that the dialogue was quick and snappy.  Also like seeing Adelaide Clemons from Rectify -- but I don't recognize anyone else.

Corbin Bernsen was the most recognizable besides Falco.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, Raja said:

There is no way in hell that any big city Mayor, especially one looking for his next office when he is termed out of office, would make any analogy between his city and Baltimore of The Wire.

Not so's anyone could hear him anyway.  😉  But if he's honest with himself, he'll see the similarities.

33 minutes ago, preeya said:

Yes, I did recognize him.  LA Law was a favorite.  He's aged nicely. 

• Love 2

I kind of liked it, as far as procedurals go.  I was rather expecting some serious twists with the immigrant woman, such as the child not really hers and she was on some nefarious person's payroll, etc., etc., that could have been stretched out over a couple of episodes.

One thing I will point out, for the benefit of the writers.  Did anyone notice the "Los Angeles Tribune" newspaper headline?  "Mayor diffuses crisis".  You defuse a crisis.  You diffuse a substance in another substance.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

One thing I will point out, for the benefit of the writers.  Did anyone notice the "Los Angeles Tribune" newspaper headline?  "Mayor diffuses crisis".  You defuse a crisis.  You diffuse a substance in another substance.

When Lou Grant retired the city desk went to shit.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5

Would someone PLEASE stop writing “the first female” to be  (insert position of power) as some awesome accomplishment by a female or decision by a committee of mostly men?
It would piss me off to no end if I worked hard in a male dominated field to establish myself and was offered and accepted a position of power only to be met with accolades that were all focused on my assigned gender at birth.  As if my personal conduct, work record and integrity meant nothing because “oh yay a person born with a vagina is in charge”.

Gross.

Edie, I appreciate that you are aging gracefully with a minimum of cosmetic procedures/fillers and I applaud you for that but could you lose the bad blonde dye job look?  Go natural~people in power born with penises do it all the time, especially in LA.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, kicotan said:

Would someone PLEASE stop writing “the first female” to be  (insert position of power) as some awesome accomplishment by a female or decision by a committee of mostly men?
It would piss me off to no end if I worked hard in a male dominated field to establish myself and was offered and accepted a position of power only to be met with accolades that were all focused on my assigned gender at birth.  As if my personal conduct, work record and integrity meant nothing because “oh yay a person born with a vagina is in charge”.

Gross.

Especially in this case where the Mayor said it was forced upon the city by a Federal judge. Even if he justified it to himself that he would have done it anyway like President Clinton decided to have a female Attorney General

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kicotan said:

Gross.

Edie, I appreciate that you are aging gracefully with a minimum of cosmetic procedures/fillers and I applaud you for that but could you lose the bad blonde dye job look?  Go natural~people in power born with penises do it all the time, especially in LA.

But it is still something noteworthy... That's the unfortunate bit... She's emminently qualified  and a federal judge still had to force the issue... Its not a zero sum situation... Its an accomplishment based purely on merit.. But also because of the prejudice so many before her faced.. And what she faced... In real life when I hear such and such was the first black or Latino or Asian or any marginalized group to do something I just think about how wild it is that it took so long.. With so many qualified ppl being overlooked or straight up ignored for things that they had no control over

• Love 1

Interesting.   Most posters seem kind of lukewarm about the show, but willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because of Edie Falco.

I loved it. 

A middle-aged lesbian trying to wade through the LA crockpot of power stew as the new Chief of Police?  Moving in with her estranged, conflicted daughter.  A notorious background about which she's half bitter, half pragmatic.  I see a minefield for her to negotiate, rife with the potential for betrayal on a daily basis.  Olivia Benson would KILL for anything half as fresh as that.

Edited by candall
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

And thanks for not telling Tommy to watch a groan-worthy, on-the-nose Sopranos. 

Good point that name dropping The Sopranos would’ve been too on the nose. So I guess The Godfather was just code for The Sopranos. 

• Love 1
On 2/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, preeya said:

OMG - I totally did not know that was him.  I was like "he's good looking but I can't place him".  I'm 55 and watched LA Law in its first runs and his mother on YR since I was a child helping my mother fold sheets. LOL   I hate myself right now.  

• Love 1