Type keyword(s) to search

Unsellable Houses - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I agree with everyone else, those home owners were the worst landlords.  I no longer own rentals, the Seattle area rental laws are not landlord friendly at all.  Renters may go without paying rent for at least six months, until you may evict for non payment.  They then move before the court date, and the landlord is stuck with no rent, and a trashed house.  

I wonder if that is why the twins didn't rent out the house they were going to rent out, and use it as an AB&B?

Obviously the house last night, was not part of what's happening in the area, and I cannot imagine how they had only two renters with that much damage.   Although, renters can be very hard on a house.  

• Useful 1
On 4/20/2021 at 11:05 PM, ByaNose said:

They do stage with way too many tchotchke’s.

Is one of them named Joanie?  

[Cuz Joanie loves tchotchke's]

Probably the high calorie Sarah Palin one.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

The latest episode had a house stuck in the 90’s. It is funny but the 90’s really did have a look beyond the puffy curtains and bows. There was something about the arches and stucco which I immediately knew it was last updated in the 90’s. What were we thinking. They did a feature wall when you enter the house which I didn’t actually hate. The one thing going for the house was that it was in good shape and didn’t need that “much” money. The sisters (well, the brunette one) were still as annoying as ever. Every time they pan to Jeff he always looks like he wants to get far away from these girls. I don’t know the history from Jeff. Was he always working with the sisters or was he just the creation of HGTV casting. Either way he looks truly pained in their presence. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Either way he looks truly pained in their presence. 

Sometimes Jeff seems to really be pained, knowing how much work their idea involves in a short time frame; other times I think he makes that pained face to keep himself from laughing at the twins. He does manage to figure out how to create what they want.

I did like it when he made the executive decision not to use a third clashing tile on the floor of the shower a few weeks ago.  

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
(edited)

The twins say they are mirror twins (one split egg), but pics of them when they were kids show one blonder one - did they start dying their hair in grade school?

ETA, I found a pic when they were ~5 and both had dark brown hair, but by ~8 one is blonder.

Edited by deirdra
(edited)

The house on this week's new episode was originally on the market FSBO, for $410k, they put $60k or maybe more into it, put it on the market for $510k accepting offers, and ended up selling for $710k.      Yes, the place sold for $200k profit to split, $300k over the unsellable price.     The siding was disgusting before. 

I'm very suspicious when a place is that neglected, like the rental property from the week before.   I figure when there is no maintenance to the big items like siding, that there's a lot more that was neglected over the years.  (I hope I was close on the numbers).

I think since Jeff the contractor has lighter color eyes, they may be sensitive to the TV lights.    And he probably is trying not to laugh at some of the outrageous ideas that the twins come up with. 

I've had friends who moved to the Seattle area in the early 1990's, and the prices there have always been hideously high.     Places going for over list is very common there, and has been for years.     I don't understand how anyone can pay $200k to $300k over asking price.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)
12 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The house on this week's new episode was originally on the market FSBO, for $410k, they put $60k or maybe more into it, put it on the market for $510k accepting offers, and ended up selling for $710k.      Yes, the place sold for $200k profit to split, $300k over the unsellable price.     The siding was disgusting before. 

I'm very suspicious when a place is that neglected, like the rental property from the week before.   I figure when there is no maintenance to the big items like siding, that there's a lot more that was neglected over the years. 

Same here.  And the people who paid $200K over asking also waived the inspection, so they are stuck with the problems. Maybe that is why the blonde one likes dark olive and wood-covered walls - they would temporarily hide all sorts of mold in the drywall.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

I had to laugh that the bedroom, which was supposed to be for a teen-ager, "the really fun room", was decorated with 45s. I know LPs are coming back into vogue - but 45s? Have the twins recently been binge watching Gidget movies? Who associates 45s with today's teenagers? And as a buyer, I wouldn't appreciate the paint haphazardly splashed on the wall. Even the kid didn't seem to appreciate it, though to his credit he was diplomatic: "I'll probably paint on it some more." Lol

I don't know. These two seem to be so on point with all the decorating trends that I can see the homes on this show looking very dated within 10 years. Not that it seems to matter. The housing market in that area seems to be on fire. $712,000 with no inspection makes me think the buyers out there are either all in a state of mass hysteria, and/or they're flush with cash after selling their previous homes in California (or some other hyper-inflated market). Unless the entire country gets a pay raise - I don't know how these types of prices are sustainable.

• Love 4

My first thought about the room for a teenager was  really??  What teenager today would even know about  45s and LPs? The first thing that they would do is trash the records and  paint the wall.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

My first thought about the room for a teenager was  really??  What teenager today would even know about  45s and LPs? The first thing that they would do is trash the records and  paint the wall.

And whine about having to fill, sand and prime all the nail holes before repainting so it won't look pock-marked.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 6/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, Mannahatta said:

I don't know. These two seem to be so on point with all the decorating trends that I can see the homes on this show looking very dated within 10 years. Not that it seems to matter.

I complain to my boyfriend about all the crap they stuff in the houses when they stage and how generic it all is. Watching this episode, I said, "There's a whole generation of people who think unique style would be a tray from Target printed with the word "Eat"," and right after that, the camera panned between the "dining room" and the kitchen, showing a framed print with the word "home".

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I complain to my boyfriend about all the crap they stuff in the houses when they stage and how generic it all is. Watching this episode, I said, "There's a whole generation of people who think unique style would be a tray from Target printed with the word "Eat"," and right after that, the camera panned between the "dining room" and the kitchen, showing a framed print with the word "home".

I've heard over and over again buyers not knowing what to do with a room, so maybe..... ;)

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I do think it’s funny. I’m always tempted to buy or make one of those eat, drink or laundry room signs. I saw one YouTube influencer mentioned that a while ago to stop with all the signs. People know which room their in. YOU DON’T NEED A SIGN. LOL!!!! That said, I think one for staging should be the max. I’m selling my house and I might put one in my laundry room because it’s so depressing down there. I’m hoping the sign distracts the buyer that I have no windows. My laundry room is very un-HGTV. I usually just buy new clothes so I don’t have to go down there. LOL!!!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I do think it’s funny. I’m always tempted to buy or make one of those eat, drink or laundry room signs. I saw one YouTube influencer mentioned that a while ago to stop with all the signs. People know which room their in. YOU DON’T NEED A SIGN. LOL!!!! That said, I think one for staging should be the max. I’m selling my house and I might put one in my laundry room because it’s so depressing down there. I’m hoping the sign distracts the buyer that I have no windows. My laundry room is very un-HGTV. I usually just buy new clothes so I don’t have to go down there. LOL!!!!!

Is it going to be a lighted neon sign like the Property Brothers use?  I hope so.  I'd buy a house with that! /end sarcasm

• LOL 2
38 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Is it going to be a lighted neon sign like the Property Brothers use?  I hope so.  I'd buy a house with that! /end sarcasm

If I were renovating and agreed on a specific budget I would be pissed that the money was spent on something as stupid and impractical as a neon sign.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, NYGirl said:

No neon. I’m not that extra. LOL!! I’m more in the line of the ones Michael’s or HomeGoods would sell. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So tonight's new episode "Day Care Redo", is bizarre.   I know I say it every week, but 1 1/2 bath for that price is mind boggling.   $375k for 1 1/2 bath, 3 bedrooms, and it didn't sell for that price?      I bet they wanted someone to buy the business and the house.      And a half bath off the breakfast nook or dining room? Ick!  

Why spend a lot on a fancy farm apron sink?   Isn't there a cheaper model?  They always over spend on extras.    The stop at the "Estate sale" is ridiculous.    The awful wallpaper is hideous.   I hate the burgundy paint with black tile on the fireplace.   I don't like the way the kitchen back splash tile doesn't coordinate with anything. 

But, why didn't they put more cabinets, and counter top space instead of the big metal shelf in the kitchen?   Also, I would have put more cabinets, and counters at the sink area.  

The little office area next to the half bath was a good idea, and better than having an eating area next to the half bath.    I hated the turquoise sink.   Just get another countertop, and undermount sink attached.    

Main full bath is nice.   I would have put in another longer vanity, for additional counter space.  I bet a buyer will put a table or something for more counter space at the end of the bathroom vanity.  

Unsellable price $375k, reno costs $ 50k, new list price $500k, selling price $550k waiving all inspections and contingencies.    

Even in a competitive market like the Seattle area, the real estate agent who bought the house waived the inspections, and contingencies.     That just floors me, unless that was for the show, and the real estate agent was going to buy that house before the reno started?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

The only thing I hated from the Daycare renovation was the red/maroon fireplace, the back tile and the staging of said fireplace. It was truly ugly. Everything else was a nice improvement. That said, I’m not paying over $500,000 for a one and half bathroom house. Especially, a “retro” half bath. No way! Once again, Lindsay annoyed with her annoying and ugly finds & staging. I don’t care if this is really her or her tv schtick but she’s annoying either way. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

Just wondering, is Leslie not married?  We see her kids but never a husband, whereas we see Lyndsay's whole crew.

They are both married. They had an episode where they had some sort of family party or birthday party. Both men were there.

• Love 1

That fireplace was hideous. They should've either built a new surround over it or knocked down the "brick" and redid it. It was so 1970s. That bathroom sink was also extremely 1970s--I grew up with one just like that; my mother still uses that same bathroom sink as she and my dad still live in my childhood home. It's not "vintage" if it was builder grade for tract homes in the early 1970s. "Vintage" implies inherent value...right??

Painting over that countertop and cabinet while spending thousands of dollars elsewhere was a complete miss. I've lived in several low-to-mid-range apartments that paint over countertops to "refresh" them, and it always looks cheap and janky, because it is.

• Love 2

All I saw with that turquoise sink was myself scrubbing away at the scum that would accumulate around that metal band.  The kitchen (again) was a total miss.  I can never have enough counter space, and there was at *least* 5 feet of space that they just ignored.

• Love 5

Just to be shallow while I watched a couple of episodes today-the blond really needs to find a new color and cut! I realize that Seattle is rainy all of the time so it would behoove her to find a cut (and color) that was easy to manage but also looked good. Now it’s stringy and thin and every different length. 

• Love 6
(edited)

That colour of red on the fireplace could have looked ok in a matte finish instead of the high gloss paint, but the shiny black tile above it looked cheap and hideous.  When you have to go looking for a rusted old wash bin to tone down the shine on the cheap black tile to fool people into thinking it goes with the painted brick, you know you have no design sense.  It reminded me of an episode a couple of weeks ago when the twins had to add a slotted wooden floor covering to hide the juxtaposition of clashing floor & shower tiles.  It is as if they buy discounted tiles and cans of paint and throw random stuff together.  How much did they pay the agent & his fiance to say that they loved the shiny fireplace and the cheap vanity paint job in the bathroom with the turquoise sink?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I thought for sure they would paint that hideous pink exterior. It would have been so easy considering it was a ranch. Did they say why they left it that color? I tend to fast forward through the scenes where they're talking so maybe I missed something. And that fireplace was such a travesty that I found myself fantasizing about taking a sledge hammer to it. As for the turquoise sink - it gave off cheap motel vibes.....This was such a weird episode. To quote Nina Garcia from the old Project Runway - "I question their taste level."

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Just to be shallow while I watched a couple of episodes today-the blond really needs to find a new color and cut! I realize that Seattle is rainy all of the time so it would behoove her to find a cut (and color) that was easy to manage but also looked good. Now it’s stringy and thin and every different length. 

It only rains %9.4 of the time in Seattle, not the most in the lower 48. 

58 minutes ago, Mannahatta said:

I thought for sure they would paint that hideous pink exterior. It would have been so easy considering it was a ranch. Did they say why they left it that color?

Not that I heard.  They seemed to be doing everything on the super cheap.  The green shutters made the house look even pinker.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hated the pink outside color.   My guess is the realtor from their company that bought the house was the buyer all along, and he wanted to wait to do the outside paint.     I think that the office area was for him, and all of the renovations were what he wanted, and I bet he actually bought it before the remodel, and they did the open house for the show.      

A buyer of the 90's house "Nineties to Now" Season 2 Episode 11, which first aired a couple of weeks ago, (which they reran today, and I missed it) wrote a thread on the Unsellables page on Reddit.  This was the house that needed new siding, and the couple were downsizing.    It was at Lake Stephens .   Interesting reading about the buyer's experience.   One thing I will mention is that the buyer said you can buy some or all of the staging furniture, and other items. 

"Renewed Ocean Views" Selling the late mother's condo.  2 bed/2 bath condo.  The bathrooms are a decent size for a condo.  At last, they say the buyer is 'mature'.    There's an ensuite, and a guest bath.   They   couldn't find a condo comp, so they found a single family about the same side.     (A hint for taking down mirrors safely, and easily, call the mirror/glass company, they can usually get it off the wall in one piece).    Why do they always put a plant in the shower?   

Previous market price $644k,  reno $50k, list price $750k , sold for $760k, $66k over previous asking, 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

That colour of red on the fireplace could have looked ok in a matte finish instead of the high gloss paint, but the shiny black tile above it looked cheap and hideous.

Discount love motel

• Love 5
On 6/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, Gam2 said:

My mom and I hate-watch this show and I say to her EVERY TIME how I wish she would do something to that dead, damaged, over-processed hair! I find these two SO annoying. They’re not nearly as adorable as they think they are. I’m sure they imagine themselves to be the manic pixie dream girl version of interior decorators but they’re just annoying 40+
women who drive a VW bus 🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I actually liked the condo redo. Here wasn’t too much they could do with the footprint and condo rules which was a nice change of pace. I wasn’t 100% in love with the tile choice. Maybe, about 95%. Expanding the kitchen and the counter was a great idea made the place look bigger. The bathrooms turned out nice and, with that view it was beautiful place to live. Of course, I wouldn’t  spend over $500,000 (which I don’t have anyway) for it but someone who has that money to burn got themselves a nice place. And, yes the sisters are still annoying. Their mother seems nice enough though. 

• Love 3

The condo looked nice but I there was one small change they failed to make which stood out like a sore thumb.  They painted all the walls white but left the 1980's almond outlets and light switches and they just looked dingy.  Switching them out for white ones would not have broken the bank and it would have looked so much nicer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 5/25/2021 at 10:01 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Sorry, but hanging old windows from the porch, without a bottom anchor is not a good move.

OMG...thank you! I just saw this episode last night... and couldn't believe that was a considered some sort of super creative move. That would be the first thing I would remove if I bought that house. Yuck!! 

• Love 5
(edited)

Edmonds condo - I was surprised that the HOA rules would allow an open flame feature on that narrow wooden deck.
My townhouse community (in the Seattle suburbs) has large brick-paved ground level patios - we are not allowed to have gas or charcoal-burning barbecue grills. Insurance costs would be prohibitive.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 6/22/2021 at 11:22 PM, ByaNose said:

I actually liked the condo redo. Here wasn’t too much they could do with the footprint and condo rules which was a nice change of pace. I wasn’t 100% in love with the tile choice. Maybe, about 95%. Expanding the kitchen and the counter was a great idea made the place look bigger. The bathrooms turned out nice and, with that view it was beautiful place to live. Of course, I wouldn’t  spend over $500,000 (which I don’t have anyway) for it but someone who has that money to burn got themselves a nice place. And, yes the sisters are still annoying. Their mother seems nice enough though. 

I agree, and also wasn't a huge fan of the tile choices. Didn't hate them, didn't love them. They may have looked better in person than on video. I liked the final epoxy wall in the bathroom, but thought the drah-mah about it was hokey. Of COURSE they could choose better colors than the garish sample they saw, and I was muttering "FFS, stop with the stupid narrative about this and pick a decent color and get on with it." TBH I think it would have been better to do that whole bathtub/shower enclosure in those epoxy walls vs. using tiles on the two short walls, but that's just IMO and I'm no designer, lol.

Their mom had a good point about the old cabinets over the washer and dryer, but I thought their solution didn't go far enough. It was fine that they changed the door handles on the cabinets  - but IMO the cabinets with that old tired finish were still jarringly out of place in the updated decor. Those cabinets should have been painted in a color to match or complement the new kitchen cabinets - or even to match the green folding doors of their enclosure. New handles or not, those cabinets just looked so tired and sad. If I were buying that condo I'd paint those cabinets first thing.

13 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Edmonds condo - I was surprised that the HOA rules would allow an open flame feature on that narrow wooden deck.
My townhouse community (in the Seattle suburbs) has large brick-paved ground level patios - we are not allowed to have gas or charcoal-burning barbecue grills. Insurance costs would be prohibitive.

That jumped out at me too. I'm in a condo in Denver, and the fire code (i.e., City law) prohibits open flames on balconies. There's an exception for some LP-fired or natural gas devices meeting certain standards. A friend who lived in a high-rise condo here, got an electric outdoor grill for her condo balcony - that's legal because there's no open flame involved. I was dubious that the twins' gadget would be okay under local laws or HOA rules. 

ETA: I was irritated by the "twin plays with her tools" story line. Waste of bandwidth. Look, lady, you're a Realtor, not a remodeler. It's almost insulting to people (including women) in the skilled trades to show up with your little rolling tool bag and jump into "helping" with the actual SKILLED WORK being performed on your project. Grrr . . . (In another forum here we have a running joke that the Duggars seem to think that if they watch a skilled tradesperson at work for an hour or two they can then do that job themselves. I saw a similar kind of ignorant condescension in the "twin with her tools" storyline. HATED it, in case I haven't made that clear. 😡)

Additional edit: I wish they would go back to the half hour format. They wasted so much time with stupid sh*t including the faux drah-mah over the epoxy wall colors and Little Miss Toolkit's ignorant antics. I don't care about the twins' families, and the fewer moments of them trying to act cute onscreen, the better. All of that stupid padding to stretch the show to an hour wouldn't be missed if they gave it up and went back to the half hour format.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 14
(edited)
On 6/24/2021 at 7:05 AM, Jeeves said:

That jumped out at me too. I'm in a condo in Denver, and the fire code (i.e., City law) prohibits open flames on balconies. There's an exception for some LP-fired or natural gas devices meeting certain standards. A friend who lived in a high-rise condo here, got an electric outdoor grill for her condo balcony - that's legal because there's no open flame involved. I was dubious that the twins' gadget would be okay under local laws or HOA rules. 

ETA: I was irritated by the "twin plays with her tools" story line. Waste of bandwidth. Look, lady, you're a Realtor, not a remodeler. It's almost insulting to people (including women) in the skilled trades to show up with your little rolling tool bag and jump into "helping" with the actual SKILLED WORK being performed on your project. Grrr . . . (In another forum here we have a running joke that the Duggars seem to think that if they watch a skilled tradesperson at work for an hour or two they can then do that job themselves. I saw a similar kind of ignorant condescension in the "twin with her tools" storyline. HATED it, in case I haven't made that clear. 😡)

Additional edit: I wish they would go back to the half hour format. They wasted so much time with stupid sh*t including the faux drah-mah over the epoxy wall colors and Little Miss Toolkit's ignorant antics. I don't care about the twins' families, and the fewer moments of them trying to act cute onscreen, the better. All of that stupid padding to stretch the show to an hour wouldn't be missed if they gave it up and went back to the half hour format.

Ditto on all that.  No open flames are allowed on our condo balconies, though natural gas BBQs w/hoods are allowed (no wood, briquets or propane). The twins probably had to take it with them when they de-staged the place.  We cannot even put up lights like that except for 2 wks around Xmas.

Nothing in that place struck me as "Mediteranean". More like Miami. I liked the light teal tiles, but that was too much of them.  Inside a shower or between upper & lower cabinets in a kitchen would have been an OK amount.  The whole wall above the buffet was way to much.  And it looked stupid on the fireplace with that 1990s mid-tone wood mantle, slate-look hearth and 4th colour/texture above the mantle. I'd rather put art there and change it & the colours when I get tired of something. The epoxy wall would have looked nice on all 3 sides of the tub instead of mixing it with not-quite-matching cheap subway tiles with more grout lines to leak.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

I hated the minty tiles around the fireplace. I wish they'd used the same tile as on the hearth.

I can't say I loved the extra-long cabinet/countertops, but I suppose that area would just be awkward unused space otherwise, so I'll allow it. Heh. I actually quite liked them leaving the original cabinets in the laundry closet, since they were real wood, functionally fine, and behind louvered doors, so no one would see them.

And yeah, so way that firepit(?) is allowed. I'm thinking it was there just for staging.

• Love 3
(edited)

People were wondering if the twins had a warehouse full of random stuff to mix & match into their renos.  I LOLed on the latest show when I saw that Jeff is the one with a warehouse.  I guess if he has a lot of bad renters it makes sense.  The twins probably have a warehouse of stuff for staging or selling in their store, whereas Jeff keeps leftover tile, flooring, lumber and any useable stuff pulled out of other homes.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1

When we sold our first house, our realtor told us something that I’ve never forgotten. My preference when looking at different homes has always been Do Not Do Any Upgrades. Your taste is not my taste.  If you spend $20,000 putting in new carpet/flooring, paint, etc, then I have to live with it because I can’t justify ripping up or replacing brand new items. But I hate them for years. Sell it to me cheaper and I will replace what needs done with what I prefer. The realtor told me that I was in the minority, that 90% of buyers want to be able to walk into a house and put their furniture down and live. They don’t want to monkey with decorating choices or the work it takes to redo something as simple as installing curtain rods or painting.

The reality is that most people are decorating challenged. I did interior design work for five years and most of my clients were paralyzed when it came to making decorating decisions. They hated it with a passion akin to that of going to the dentist. So most of these buyers are probably pretty happy with the changes made on this show. I always want to start “baaing,” though, when I see the same design features as every other show. I call it Sheep Design, because of the sheep mentality to follow the herd. When decorators behave like sheep, they are just copying what others are doing. I am literally amazed at the number of HGTV designers /hosts with their own shows who have absolutely NO education, training, or degrees that qualify them to be design experts. If you’re going to put yourself out there as an expert on interior design, you’d better have the educational attainment to justify the position. 

I will say that the third episode of Rock the Block that the twins won did have a nice design aesthetic. And their genuine emotional breakdown when they were announced as winners was really touching. They referenced how much pressure they have been under and how much they missed home and their families.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Lake Erie Lass said:

. I am literally amazed at the number of HGTV designers /hosts with their own shows who have absolutely NO education, training, or degrees that qualify them to be design experts. If you’re going to put yourself out there as an expert on interior design, you’d better have the educational attainment to justify the position. 

That's what I don't understand about Christina Haack Etc Etc Etc supposedly having a design business for well heeled clients. She talks like she does the designs. Wouldn't those people hire a real designer?

• Love 4

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? Agree totally. Every house on Flip or Flop had the same colors, kitchen design, finishes, etc. Boring! Sheep design again. I’m sick of open shelving in the kitchen, gray or white paint choices, and furniture that is not comfortable for long term seating when you’re relaxing with your family. Real people watch TV and lay on the couch!!

When HGTV first started, they had actual professional designers and gardening experts. I appreciate the efforts of the tradesmen/women on the shows who have real knowledge of construction, plumbing, electricity, etc that make sure the homes are safe and solid. It’s the design half of the teams that are contributing to the hot mess of current design trends. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lake Erie Lass said:

I call it Sheep Design, because of the sheep mentality to follow the herd. When decorators behave like sheep, they are just copying what others are doing.

Excellent description, I will have to remember that!  Sheep Design:  gray, white, quartz countertops, hard wood floors, open concept, stainless steel appliances, ginormous bathrooms.

• Love 3

After the long term rental, where the house was totally trashed before, and didn't look that much better after (the family room was also the laundry room I think), and the one where a relative of the sellers said the house hadn't been on the market before the show's remodel, I don't even watch this. 

I can't watch all of that cheap stuff they use for decorating, that's just plain cheap and ugly.     They put too much stuff in a room, and in the market they're in, a simple repaint, and just spiff it up would work.     

I agreed on their kitchen on Rock the Block, where the judges said the finishes looked cheap.     Everything in their Unsellable houses looks like clearance rack stuff, and nothing is coordinated. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Everything in their Unsellable houses looks like clearance rack stuff, and nothing is coordinated. 

And then they stick a dozen nails in every freshly painted wall and hang up whatever scraps they have lying around and call it art.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, deirdra said:

And then they stick a dozen nails in every freshly painted wall and hang up whatever scraps they have lying around and call it art.

Wall art is usually yarn around a ring of some sort. Basically, it’s just another dusk collector that people DIY for $5. Hard pass.

• Love 4
(edited)

This comes back on 12 April, so next Tuesday.    

Remember the house in Snohomish that they remodeled, bought from the owner, and kept because they were going to rent it out, and probably one of the sons would live there during college?  The one with the hanging window frames on one end of the front porch?    It's for sale for $897,750.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1