Type keyword(s) to search

Superman & Lois Anticipation

• Start Topic

https://www.primetimer.com/pilots/pilotpreviews/superman-lois

Cool review. Sounds like a lot if going on and a lot of set up stories for the rest of the series. 

True about this feeling like a spiritual successor to New Adventures of Superman: Lois&Clark and Smallville, like a spin off/sequel of sort for both shows. Smallville was IMO, WB/CW best superhero show they have ever done and will ever do, it was only a matter of time they did something with that. And the Superman brand, just carries itself too. 

Production is stalled, just like most of Hollywood; here's an update from Deadline:

Following the unprecedented Hollywood shutdown over the COVID-19 outbreak, which left all but one broadcast pilot in limbo, I hear the networks have ordered at least one backup script each for almost all of their projects. Writing is one of very few things that can be done during the shutdown — individually or via virtual writers rooms — and the networks are using that to move the development process further. I hear ABC, NBC, Fox and the CW have ordered a second script for all their drama and comedy pilots, with ABC picking up more than one script on some projects. I hear CBS has commissioned a second script for most of its pilots.

Additionally, a number of projects — including Fox’s Call Me Kat, ABC’s The Big Sky, NBC’s LA Mayor and Young Rock and the CW’s Superman & Lois and Walker — have straight-to-series orders and have writers rooms going. Most of them were planning to film a pilot episode during pilot season, take a break to assess it before starting series production. They will now go straight to series production.

... whenever production can start up again....

• Love 1

SUPERMAN & LOIS CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS REVEALED: EXCLUSIVE
Posted by Andy Behbakht | Mar 25, 2020 
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/03/25/superman-lois-characters/ 

Rather than having to wait till May to find out if it goes to series or not, Superman & Lois was picked-up early by The CW back in January. With production happening at some uncertain point this year, given the Coronavirus pandemic, the show is still looking to add several characters to the cast. Primetimer previously revealed a handful of names that will be seen throughout season 1. Now, The Illuminerdi can exclusively reveal some more details on these characters in terms of what the casting department is looking for.
THE “BUNYAN” FAMILY IN SUPERMAN & LOIS ...
While Clark is already happily married with Lois, the series will feature another iconic Superman character that goes back to the hero’s teenage years. Primetimer revealed that Lana Lang is set to appear in the series, with the character “Sally Bunyan” most likely being a cover name for her in the casting calls.

With the production looking to cast a diverse 35-39 year old actress, “Sally” is described as a loan officer at a bank who is married to “Kyle Bunyan” and has two daughters, 16-year-old “Sarah” and 8-year-old “Sophie.” The casting description notes that they are looking for these series regular roles to be portrayed by “diverse” actors.
“Sally’s” life takes a turn when she reconnects with her high school boyfriend, which in turn is another straining factor in her marriage to “Kyle.” On the subject of her husband, the casting department is looking for a diverse actor between 35 and 39 to play “Kyle”, a fire station chief who has basically become a hero in his own right to the town. Described as being an alcoholic who has seen a lot of darkness in humanity, “Kyle” has some problematic attitude issues that affect those around him.

“Sarah” is a gifted, popular teenage girl who is keeping some dark secrets that she only begins to reveal when she begins a relationship with a certain boy. “Sophie” is described as a young girl who tends to embarrass her family. Based on these details, it sounds like the “Bunyan” family will have quite the stories to tell in the show.

IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE? IT’S RECASTING TIME!
Glenn Morshower played General Samuel Lane, the father of Lois and Lucy Lane, in the first season of Supergirl. He hasn’t been seen since the series moved from CBS to The CW, and don’t expect to see him back for Superman & Lois. The spinoff is looking to recast the part, which will be in a series regular capacity.

They’re looking for a Caucasian actor in his 60s to play Samuel, a serious Army General whose main mission is to protect the United States of America as well as the world from any threats, whether it comes from on or off Earth. Anyone who works for or together with him is expected to performing 110% no matter what.

TWO POTENTIAL MYSTERY FOES
One of the characters that Primetimer revealed would be showing up is DC foe Morgan Edge, who has already been played by Adrian Pasdar on Supergirl. However, it appears this character is also getting recast as the series regular role “Sabastien Saint”, sounds 100% like Morgan.

Looking for an actor in his 40s of any ethnicity, “Sabastian” is a smart, forceful and intense billionaire who has for some reason continued to succeed. “Sabastien’s” natural gift to drive can benefit others while it can become someone’s hell. Should this indeed be Morgan, then that makes it for a perfect antagonist for Lois and Clark.
However, it looks like Superman & Lois will have an even more dangerous villain. The final series regular part they’re looking for is “Ryan Simmons”, a diverse male in his late 20s or early 30s. Teased as being a man who has lost everything that he holds dear in life, “Ryan’s” sole purpose now is to go after everyone who is responsible for destroying his life battling with appeasing his inner rage that is getting worse.

This might be “The Stranger” role that Primetimer was referencing in their report. While there is no DC character that goes by “The Stranger” directly – though there is the Phantom Stranger – it’s most likely going to turn out to be someone from the canon whenever his identity is revealed.

Edited by tv echo

Casting news: 'Dylan Walsh To Co-Star As General Lane'

Dylan Walsh is set as a series regular opposite Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch in Superman & Lois, <...>. Walsh will play the popular comic book character General Lane, father of Lois and Lucy.

Character description:

Spoiler

Walsh’s Samuel Lane is a no-nonsense Army general who’s determined to keep America, and the world, safe from all threats – from this world or beyond. Lane’s a workaholic who demands nothing but excellence from all those in his life.

(edited)

From recent TV Insider interview with the actor who's been cast as teenager Jonathan Kent...

Spoiler

You're joining Superman & Lois as one of their sons, Jonathan Kent. Were you a DC fan before? Did you watch any of the Arrowverse shows?
[Jordan Elsass:]
It's funny because I actually was a huge Smallville fan growing up, but I don't think I ever got into Arrow or The Flash or Supergirl or Batwoman or anything like that. It's something that I have decided I will start watching because I think it's really necessary for a show like that, that already has an established universe, that I get into it beforehand.

With Little Fires, because it has never been established in a live-action setting, I was like, "You know what? I can get away with waiting to read the book, answering the questions out on my own." Whereas with the CW show that's coming out, I definitely want to make sure that I'm educated, I know the lore, I have these shows in the back of my head at all times.

Edited by tv echo

I love the idea of this show but I’m really. It here for a Lana/Clark/Lois triangle and given its CW I can’t see them being able to resist going they’re. 

Also, if This version of Lana is even half as irritating as Smallevilles Lana Then I could see myself being out from early doors..

• Love 1

I can't imagine a love triangle with Lois/Clark/Lana I really can't. I know it's the CW but they deliberately set this show up as a SuperFamily drama with twins more like Lois and Clark than Smallville. 

Lois and Clark are *the* Iconic couple that everyone knows and is tuning in for, that's the description of the show: See this couple juggling parenthood and superhero-ing. I can't imagine they would break them up for Lana drama. Even with Arrow and Flash they never had any triangle drama once the couples were serious and/or married. Even Oliver never got tempted to cheat in present day with any relationship he had on the show, it was always one at a time. They barely had much of a triangle with Kara/Mon El/Imra. 

I think they're just using Lana as a way to pad out the cast with recognisable character names like Jimmy, Cat Grant, Martian Manhunter, Winn Schott in Supergirl. They've got the boys for teen romantic drama. 

• Love 1

I'd like to see Lana be a friend to both Clark and Lois. Mention that he had a crush on her when they were kids or whatever but have them all laugh it off and firmly be friends. Leave any triangles to the teenagers and let the adults have important stories. And, if they absolutely have to have love triangles (the 100% do not) then DO NOT have one between the Kent brothers. I know the CW has a sibling swapping fetish but they need to get therapy and move on from that. Have a triangle with their classmates or friends if you feel you must but not the brothers.

• Love 5
(edited)

More casting news: 'Wolé Parks to play The Stranger'

Wolé Parks is set as a series regular opposite Emmanuelle Chriqui, Tyler Hoechlin, Elizabeth Tulloch and Erik Valdez in Superman & Lois....

Parks’ The Stranger is a mysterious visitor hellbent on proving to the world that it no longer needs Superman.

----

They're not naming him now, but this is probably a comics character, right?

Edited by Trini
29 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

whip smart, super cool wild child

LOL - ok, CW.

29 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

with some demons in her past

?? She's only a teen? I hope the actual character turns out better than this description; in any case it sounds like she might be a female version of the typical "bad boy" trope.

• LOL 2

CW scheduling announcement: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2020/05/14/the-cw-network-to-launch-its-new-season-in-january-2021-916014/20200514cw01/

The next season for new and returning shows starts in January 2021, and the show will be paired with The Flash on Tuesdays.

THE FLASH races back for season seven on Tuesday (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT), followed by the brand new series starring Earth's mightiest superhero and the Daily Planet's most intrepid journalist in SUPERMAN & LOIS (9:00-10:00pm ET/PT).

In SUPERMAN & LOIS, after years of facing megalomaniacal supervillains, monsters wreaking havoc on Metropolis, and alien invaders intent on wiping out the human race, the world's most famous superhero, The Man of Steel aka Clark Kent (Tyler Hoechlin, "Teen Wolf") and comic books' most famous journalist, Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch, "Grimm"), come face to face with one of their greatest challenges ever - dealing with all the stress, pressures and complexities that come with being working parents in today's society.

Complicating the already daunting job of raising two boys, Clark and Lois must also concern themselves with whether or not their sons Jonathan (Jordan Elsass, "Little Fires Everywhere") and Jordan (Alexander Garfin, "The Peanuts Movie") could inherit their father's Kryptonian superpowers as they grow older.

Returning to Smallville to handle some Kent family business, Clark and Lois are reacquainted with Lana Lang (Emmanuelle Chriqui, "Entourage"), a local loan officer who also happens to be Clark's first love, and her Fire Chief husband Kyle Cushing (Erik Valdez, "Graceland"). The adults aren't the only ones rediscovering old friendships in Smallville as the Kent sons are reacquainted with Lana and Kyle's rebellious daughter, Sarah (Inde Navarrette, "Wander Darkly").

Of course, there's never a dull moment in the life of a superhero, especially with Lois' father, General Samuel Lane (Dylan Walsh, "Nip/Tuck") looking for Superman to vanquish a villain or save the day at a moment's notice. Meanwhile, Superman and Lois' return to idyllic Smallville is set to be upended when a mysterious stranger (Wolé Parks, "All American") enters their lives.

Based on the characters from DC created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, SUPERMAN & LOIS is written and executive produced by Todd Helbing ("The Flash") and executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Geoff Johns. The series is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

(edited)

The CW Plots ‘Superman’ & ‘Batwoman’ Crossover In 2021
Peter White   May 14, 2020
https://deadline.com/2020/05/the-cw-superman-batwoman-crossover-2021-1202934828/

Superman and Batwoman will be coming together in a crossover event for The CW. The move comes after the network handed Superman & Lois a straight-to-series order.

The CW chairman and CEO Mark Pedowitz revealed Thursday on the network’s scheduling call that it would be planning a two-hour event pairing the two superheroes. He said it would not happen in December, given the COVID-19 production shutdown, but hoped for it in either the first or second quarter of 2021.

“We’re still working on it. It will be a smaller event than usual, we’re only planning a two-hour event. We are talking about doing Superman and Batwoman together. There’s a lot of characters coming from our other shows,” he said.

Arrowverse Crossover Pushed to 2021, Downsized to 'Smaller' Event Featuring Superman & Lois and Batwoman
By Vlada Gelman / May 14 2020,
https://tvline.com/2020/05/14/arrowverse-crossover-superman-batwoman-2021/

The network’s annual Arrowverse crossover event “will not happen in December, but it will happen, hopefully, first or second quarter of 2021,” CW Chairman & CEO Mark Pedowitz told reporters Thursday during a conference call for the 2020-21 TV season (view new schedule here).

The upcoming crossover will also be smaller in scope than the recent “Crisis on Infinite Earths” five-show spectacle that aired this past season. “It will be a smaller event than usual,” Pedowitz shared. “We’re only planning a two-hour event. We’re talking about doing Superman [& Lois] and Batwoman together, with a lot of characters coming [in] from our other shows.” The crossover will likely air as a two-hour block on a Sunday, Pedowitz added.

Edited by tv echo

I'm not so keen on Lois & Clark having teenagers, and the various love triangles involved; and Helbing's comments in the FanDome S&L panel didn't help. I also side-eye how he talks about his plans, etc. for this show based on how he treated characters on his previous show, The Flash. I liked Hoechlin and Tulloch's comments about their characters, but they can only do so much with the writing. The writing is what I'm worried about.

• Love 3

I remain of the opinion that Todd Helbing is a terrible showrunner and I will never forgive him for how he treated the WestAllen family on The Flash.

I am not sure what he plans to do here but it doesn't sound good at all. And while I am one of the few who liked Lana on Smallville I don't think the character belongs on a show with an adult Clark who's already married to Lois.

• Love 1

From the panel I got the impression that what Helbing was really interested in doing was exploring his own family dynamic in a This Is Us-style family-centered relationship drama, and the superheroic action-adventure aspect is an unwelcome burden that he had to agree to in order to get the show made. Also, triangles, triangles, and more triangles!  Everyone gets a romantic rival or two people fighting over them!

I was initially hopeful since I think Tyler Hoechlin does far better as Clark Kent than Superman (his portrayal of Clark is probably my all-time favorite, as a matter of fact), and he and Bitsy Tulloch seem to have very good chemistry. But everything I heard out of the showrunner's mouth was Not Good.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

But everything I heard out of the showrunner's mouth was Not Good.

Helbing wrote some good episodes on his previous show, The Flash, but he kinda sucked as showrunner. However, he might be better here since he's got the showrunner role from the start, and he can self-insert more easily. Don't think I'll be watching long enough to find out, though.

But speaking of the Kent family...

I wonder if Lucy Lane will be a part of this show? I figure she has to show up at some point; with her sister and father in the main cast. Someone has to be the 'cool aunt'! She was in season 1 of Supergirl (and never mentioned again), but I expect she'll have a different face and backstory if she appears here. Crisis rearranging the universe gives them the perfect excuse to do their own take on the character.

It's unlikely, but I'd also like Jimmy James Olsen/Mehcad Brooks to pay a visit; Clark should have some non-super friends too, right?

• Love 3
On 10/4/2020 at 12:03 PM, Trini said:

But speaking of the Kent family...

I wonder if Lucy Lane will be a part of this show? I figure she has to show up at some point; with her sister and father in the main cast. Someone has to be the 'cool aunt'! She was in season 1 of Supergirl (and never mentioned again), but I expect she'll have a different face and backstory if she appears here. Crisis rearranging the universe gives them the perfect excuse to do their own take on the character.

It's unlikely, but I'd also like Jimmy James Olsen/Mehcad Brooks to pay a visit; Clark should have some non-super friends too, right?

For that matter, will we see Allura and Argo City on occasion? Allura is Superman's aunt by marriage, and he and Lois did spend a considerable amount of time living in Argo City while Lois was pregnant and after she gave birth, so they would not only have Superman's only other living relative to help out as needed (besides Kara, who will probably show up herself every now and then once Supergirl ends next year), but also whatever other friends they had made while they lived there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

For that matter, will we see Allura and Argo City on occasion? Allura is Superman's aunt by marriage, and he and Lois did spend a considerable amount of time living in Argo City while Lois was pregnant and after she gave birth, so they would not only have Superman's only other living relative to help out as needed (besides Kara, who will probably show up herself every now and then once Supergirl ends next year), but also whatever other friends they had made while they lived there.

That would make sense; however, to me, it seems that showrunner Helbing wants to do his own thing and not be beholden to Supergirl's canon, so I don't know how much will be brought over from Supergirl. I mean, technically this is a spinoff, but it doesn't look like much of the creative team involved with Supergirl are involved with this.

I quit watching Supergirl, but didn't Crisis basically erase that storyline in Argo City because the kids are older now so Lois would not have been pregnant at that time. So in this new timeline we have no idea how close Clark is with his Kryptonion relatives.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, all the rest of them might just be stories he's heard from Kara for all we know. I think the two cousins still being close is the only thing we can take as a given.

With Supergirl ending, we might not even have the cousins being close!

I'm getting old, whenever I'm reminded that the two teenage boys will inevitably have large roles on this show, I sigh. Even though I adore the teenage JSA on Stargirl and liked the 20 something "kids" on Arrow. 

Just something a little weird about seeing this version of L&C with teens when we haven't seem much of them and even less of their actual relationship. 

• Love 3

Think there'll be any "legacy casting" in this? I feel like Supergirl and Crisis snagged most of the well-known actors associated with Superman already. There are still a few people from Smallville who could guest star; I highly doubt anyone from the movies would show up.

9 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

The real drama will be if only one gets powers.  That kid can angst over having to hide it while the other can angst over having a massive inferiority complex.  Thanks for resetting the multiverse Oliver!

Pretty sure this is EXACTLY what's going to happen. However, I'm guessing the other kid will also get powers later on, but they might be different powers.

• Love 1

I'm getting at least partial "Smallville 2.0" vibes from this latest trailer, and that's not a positive for me. The song choice did not fit the tone of the clips, so that was weird. They're usually good at making these trailers. Still hate the color cast they put over this; doesn't have to be  Supergirl bright, but it doesn't have to be Synder-dreary either.

I'm planning to check out the first few episodes, I don't know if I'm sticking with this. (I'm sure this will be around for at least 3 seasons, though.) I'm sure the actors will do fine, I'm more worried about the writing.

Yeah, that DystopiaVision filter they put on whenever Tyler's in the outfit isn't helping hide his perma-5 o'clock shadow either. It's fine when he's dressed as Clark, but Superman shouldn't look like he's been sleeping on a park bench and woke up with a hangover.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/7/2021 at 12:45 PM, Trini said:

I'm getting at least partial "Smallville 2.0" vibes from this latest trailer, and that's not a positive for me. The song choice did not fit the tone of the clips, so that was weird. They're usually good at making these trailers. Still hate the color cast they put over this; doesn't have to be  Supergirl bright, but it doesn't have to be Synder-dreary either.

I'm planning to check out the first few episodes, I don't know if I'm sticking with this. (I'm sure this will be around for at least 3 seasons, though.) I'm sure the actors will do fine, I'm more worried about the writing.

I just saw a review that claims the actual execution of this isn't Smallville-like. It's mainly set in Smallville, they can't help that, but the reviewer claimed it has a far more grounded feel. 

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

I just saw a review that claims the actual execution of this isn't Smallville-like. It's mainly set in Smallville, they can't help that, but the reviewer claimed it has a far more grounded feel. 

It's not really the setting I'm objecting to, it's the inevitable teen drama. And I saw at least one quote that makes it seem that while there won't be any adultery/romance with Lana (+ Clark), they're still going to use her to cause tension between Clark & Lois - Do no want!

• Love 2
On 1/17/2021 at 11:21 PM, Trini said:

Think there'll be any "legacy casting" in this? I feel like Supergirl and Crisis snagged most of the well-known actors associated with Superman already. There are still a few people from Smallville who could guest star; I highly doubt anyone from the movies would show up.

Bringing this back for a second,

I just remembered Krypton; they might be able to get Cameron Cuffe to guest star.

Is Frank Langella well enough to take on acting jobs? He played Perry White in Superman Returns. And Sam Huntington played Jimmy Olsen in that movie, I suppose he's a possibility.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1