Type keyword(s) to search

2020 Audition Speculation

ByTor
  • Start Topic

On 2/4/2020 at 1:39 AM, scorpio1031 said:

Oh oh oh - RAVEN - the gal who was late last year to finals?  Does anyone know her IG?

Don't know her IG...but on subject of Raven....Does anyone think she sill make it very far since she broke one of the 'unwritten rules of the DCC' by  being late to interviews (even tho it was due to accident or sthn on her way there)? We have all seen somewhere down the line where a few didn't make it or make it back bc of one lil mistake (late,etc)... and just curious...

On 2/20/2020 at 12:44 AM, BluegrassDCCFan said:

She's delusional if she thinks she'll make it past prelims after that F Bomb last year (unless they string her along until the interviews and confront her about doing that)

That very reason or for the lovely 'ratings'./or both...guess we shall see!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/20/2020 at 8:58 PM, PepperM said:

Looks like Kelly Porazzo is planning on trying out again too?

79376FFA-ABA0-4F15-BBAF-E4295116F259.jpeg

Sorry but this looks either like a bikini or at least bikini bottoms/panties!

Edited by dccstar7
Added content
  • Love 2
On 3/6/2020 at 9:20 AM, UnicornKicksBack said:

Reminds me of Kelli q - looks older, needs a hair makeover, but she can dance.

yes to all...and the choreography looks forced with her. (translation: not comfortable looking)

11 hours ago, dccstar7 said:

Don't know her IG...but on subject of Raven....Does anyone think she sill make it very far since she broke one of the 'unwritten rules of the DCC' by  being late to interviews (even tho it was due to accident or sthn on her way there)? We have all seen somewhere down the line where a few didn't make it or make it back bc of one lil mistake (late,etc)... and just curious...

Her IG is raveneliseanzaldua and I’m in the same camp - I feel like when you’re late, that’s a big ole black mark on your record regardless of how long it’s been. 

On 3/9/2020 at 8:07 AM, evasworld123 said:

Oh cool! Thanks for confirming. Do you know if she’s planning to audition again this year? 

Last I heard she is planning on it but not 100% sure due to wedding in November. I really hope she does- I think she has a good shot of making it. Especially given some of the cut girls from s13 that made the squad in s14 and the caliber of talent from some of the s14 rookies. She is very well spoken in person and would be a good ambassador for the team.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, JennyKC said:

Last I heard she is planning on it but not 100% sure due to wedding in November. I really hope she does- I think she has a good shot of making it. Especially given some of the cut girls from s13 that made the squad in s14 and the caliber of talent from some of the s14 rookies. She is very well spoken in person and would be a good ambassador for the team.

Agree!

• Love 1
On 3/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, MrsEVH said:

89354313_2544169549244498_20300728614686

First row:  (L-R) Tori (DMD), Julia (DMD), Riley (DMD), Dejanae, Jenifer (DMD), Janie (DMD), Alise (DMD).

Second row (L-R) Brittany (AAIA), Tara (DCC), Hunter (DMD), Jourdyn (AAIA, TLD), Raven (AAIA)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 2/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, DCC fan said:

I wondered that, too. May be why there are hundreds less auditioning than when the show first started?

I’ve wondered many times if the reason we don’t see as many girls trying out as we did in the early seasons is due in part to the rise of social media.

I know that at least SOME of the girls in earlier seasons saw the DCC as a stepping stone into the entertainment industry, especially if they had model-good looks but couldn’t get their foot in the door with a reputable agency (recall how many girls in the past had “portfolios”).

Just look at Rycroft (who went on to The Bachelor, before DWTS fame) or even Abigail Klein, who successfully broke into the business.  Whether they were open about it or not, their goal wasn’t just about dance...it was to break into the entertainment business, period.

Nowadays, girls are finding it cheaper and easier to “get discovered” via Instagram.  Wannabe actors and models who can’t get seen by an agent have alternatives now: they find out about casting calls, go to auditions, and get bookings through paid membership sites. When I first started (I used to be a part-time professional actor), talent agents were the only source of such privileged information.  

I think the sudden decrease of new talent, especially stunners like Abigail Klein, is due to super-beautiful hopefuls thinking the DCC is way too much work, and finding easier ways to break into show business.  That reduces the crowd of potential TCCs to some really good dancers with great technique, but aesthetically they’re more on par with Gina, or “muscle-arms” Lacey, or Amy, Maddie, Alexandra, Christina, Selena, etc. The internet has lured the REALLY beautiful girls away from using the DCC to “get discovered”.  That’s why we’re seeing far more “makeover candidates” and far fewer Brittany Schrams than we used to.

That’s why girls like Rachel W, Tasha, “50-yards” Kelsey, or “nasty-in-a-good-way” Kalyssa stood out so much in recent seasons.  If those gals were around in seasons 2-5, they’d blend in well with the rest of the DCC:  the Dancing Covergirl Cheerleaders.  But the internet wasn’t an alternative for model-perfect girls back then.

From where I’m sitting, it seems they had less-experienced dancers make TC in the first season (one TCC  in season 1 said, “I’ve only done cheer up til now, this dancing and kicking, pointing your toes, etc is new to me.”). I’m assuming that first season more or less reflected the norm for TCCs at that time. But then the first season aired on tv, motivating tons of really pretty model hopefuls to audition and hopefully get seen, maybe “make it big”.

But then the internet started to syphon-off a significant percentage of potential TCCs, and the size of the crowd at prelims dropped off.  A large number of ones missing were those former high school cheerleaders/drill team...ones who generally make better calendar models than serious dancers.

Edited by IluvKelsiReich
Edited for clarity
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, DCCFanatic82 said:

Updated today - the CDC recommends that events consisting of 50 or more people now be suspended for 8 weeks (until May 10). (link)

Auditions begin May 2.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if auditions AREN'T suspended because the DCC are lucky to have gotten the 100-120 in the past and, given the situation, they'll be lucky to get 50 girls and that's if they're not counting the judges, CMT staff, and everyone else.  If they count just the people needed to put auditions on, the staff will outnumber the people auditioning and likely by a good number.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, DCCFanatic82 said:

Updated today - the CDC recommends that events consisting of 50 or more people now be suspended for 8 weeks (until May 10). (link)

Auditions begin May 2.

Have we any verification that they’ll even HAVE a Season 15, coronavirus or not?

50 minutes ago, IluvKelsiReich said:

Have we any verification that they’ll even HAVE a Season 15, coronavirus or not?

Well how else will they celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Dallas Cowboys:)  Forget the DCC😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
19 hours ago, IluvKelsiReich said:

I’ve wondered many times if the reason we don’t see as many girls trying out as we did in the early seasons is due in part to the rise of social media.

I know that at least SOME of the girls in earlier seasons saw the DCC as a stepping stone into the entertainment industry, especially if they had model-good looks but couldn’t get their foot in the door with a reputable agency (recall how many girls in the past had “portfolios”).

Just look at Rycroft (who went on to The Bachelor, before DWTS fame) or even Abigail Klein, who successfully broke into the business.  Whether they were open about it or not, their goal wasn’t just about dance...it was to break into the entertainment business, period.

Nowadays, girls are finding it cheaper and easier to “get discovered” via Instagram.  Wannabe actors and models who can’t get seen by an agent have alternatives now: they find out about casting calls, go to auditions, and get bookings through paid membership sites. When I first started (I used to be a part-time professional actor), talent agents were the only source of such privileged information.  

I think the sudden decrease of new talent, especially stunners like Abigail Klein, is due to super-beautiful hopefuls thinking the DCC is way too much work, and finding easier ways to break into show business.  That reduces the crowd of potential TCCs to some really good dancers with great technique, but aesthetically they’re more on par with Gina, or “muscle-arms” Lacey, or Amy, Maddie, Alexandra, Christina, Selena, etc. The internet has lured the REALLY beautiful girls away from using the DCC to “get discovered”.  That’s why we’re seeing far more “makeover candidates” and far fewer Brittany Schrams than we used to.

That’s why girls like Rachel W, Tasha, “50-yards” Kelsey, or “nasty-in-a-good-way” Kalyssa stood out so much in recent seasons.  If those gals were around in seasons 2-5, they’d blend in well with the rest of the DCC:  the Dancing Covergirl Cheerleaders.  But the internet wasn’t an alternative for model-perfect girls back then.

From where I’m sitting, it seems they had less-experienced dancers make TC in the first season (one TCC  in season 1 said, “I’ve only done cheer up til now, this dancing and kicking, pointing your toes, etc is new to me.”). I’m assuming that first season more or less reflected the norm for TCCs at that time. But then the first season aired on tv, motivating tons of really pretty model hopefuls to audition and hopefully get seen, maybe “make it big”.

But then the internet started to syphon-off a significant percentage of potential TCCs, and the size of the crowd at prelims dropped off.  A large number of ones missing were those former high school cheerleaders/drill team...ones who generally make better calendar models than serious dancers.

Good analysis and I completely agree. Thank you for it.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, IluvKelsiReich said:

Coincidentally, I've just finished counting exactly how many girls are at auditions each season, and the numbers match up with what you're saying.

Season 1: 240

Season 2: 300

Season 3: 378

Can't count for season 4 because this one was done at the Gaylord Texan and they don't pan out over them in the stadium

Season 5: 285

Season 6: 242

Season 7: 288

Season 8: 322

Season 9: 241

Season 10: 232

Season 11: 204

Season 12: 195

Season 13: 175

Season 14: 161

It certainly does seem that the TV show was a pretty significant draw for the first few seasons and then there's been a pretty steady decline since. I'm glad you agree about the level of dance skills in general about the ladies in the earlier seasons, because I feel that on this board we tend to reminisce about seasons past and some of the superstar dancers on those squads, but after watching some of the earlier seasons again, they were... overall not as technically skilled at auditions as in more recent years, to put it nicely.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, phylogeny said:

Coincidentally, I've just finished counting exactly how many girls are at auditions each season, and the numbers match up with what you're saying.

Season 1: 240

Season 2: 300

Season 3: 378

Can't count for season 4 because this one was done at the Gaylord Texan and they don't pan out over them in the stadium

Season 5: 285

Season 6: 242

Season 7: 288

Season 8: 322

Season 9: 241

Season 10: 232

Season 11: 204

Season 12: 195

Season 13: 175

Season 14: 161

It certainly does seem that the TV show was a pretty significant draw for the first few seasons and then there's been a pretty steady decline since. I'm glad you agree about the level of dance skills in general about the ladies in the earlier seasons, because I feel that on this board we tend to reminisce about seasons past and some of the superstar dancers on those squads, but after watching some of the earlier seasons again, they were... overall not as technically skilled at auditions as in more recent years, to put it nicely.

Wholeheartedly agree, the early seasons the technical dancers were rare, pretty girls, but average dancers. Some were untrained! Now having no dance training means it's not gonna happen. 

• Love 6
On 2/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, dreamcatcher said:

I definitely want to see Lacey back, but I don’t get why she never gets past finals. She’s much better than half of the team imo...

Agree with you on this @dreamcatcher! She was such a pretty girl and I'd hoped she would try out again.

• Love 5
On 3/9/2020 at 11:01 PM, dccstar7 said:

Sorry but this looks either like a bikini or at least bikini bottoms/panties!

Yes! That was my 1st thought! A pretty girl,  but this outfit looks like it came outa Victoria's Secret bra & panty selection! Hopefully, she will be in 'dancewear' at auditions & NOT in a bra and panty style 'getup'!

• Love 2
On 3/16/2020 at 4:09 PM, phylogeny said:

I'm glad you agree about the level of dance skills in general about the ladies in the earlier seasons, because I feel that on this board we tend to reminisce about seasons past and some of the superstar dancers on those squads, but after watching some of the earlier seasons again, they were... overall not as technically skilled at auditions as in more recent years, to put it nicely.

Agreed! I also think some of those past DCC superstars we remember so fondly were such favorite standouts in part because the overall level of dance skill was less than now. There were plenty of past DCC who were gorgeous and well-trained technical dancers, but I agree that the show has brought more dancers on that elevated level to auditions and the team. Some of the past standouts and technical favorites have been local ladies from Texas and the Southwest region-- . And while the DCC have drawn candidates from across the nation and a few other countries for years, the show definitely increased the draw for beautiful and strong technical dancers from farther away. I agree that, if there is to be a DCC squad next year, it likely will be a veteran squad. And yes, it probably would keep some cheerleaders on the team who otherwise maybe would be cut, but I really love this squad and think they would make an excellent vet-only team. It makes sense, in terms of eliminating the unnecessary risk of spreading the virus at auditions for just a handful of positions on the team, because even when this isolation period ends, there still will be reason to weigh the benefits and risks of larger group gatherings. Also, training camp seems unlikely to happen at any length or intensity on par with past summers. Of course, these over the top training camps are a main factor in how they have elevated the skill and talent of the team over the years of the show to the quality they have now. I would be happy for Christina, Amy, Miranda, Maddie and Victoria to retire, though Miranda has grown on me this past year or so, Maddie surely is going nowhere because what else would she do and why give up being teacher's pet DCC,  a nd, of course, VK won't be retiring before she's cover girl, group leader, and PBC. I actively like most everyone on the team, am indifferent to a couple, and 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, M1977G said:

I agree that, if there is to be a DCC squad next year, it likely will be a veteran squad. 

The Denver Broncos Cheerleaders are holding virtual preliminary auditions. They're going to post the details tomorrow. That should be interesting.  What a different world we are in right now.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
On 3/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, EricaShadows said:

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if auditions AREN'T suspended because the DCC are lucky to have gotten the 100-120 in the past and, given the situation, they'll be lucky to get 50 girls and that's if they're not counting the judges, CMT staff, and everyone else.  If they count just the people needed to put auditions on, the staff will outnumber the people auditioning and likely by a good number.

Looks like the first round may be by videos

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cheerleaders-auditions-2020

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Cruisegirl said:

Looks like the first round may be by videos

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cheerleaders-auditions-2020

I'm pleased to see that the DCC are actually taking the health issues seriously and not like they're above it or that it's a personal attack on them (or at least that's how Kelli might see it, depending on her moods).  It might also be a chance for them to slip in seeing splits on both sides (from the front and from the side for each set) to determine flexibility and to have them do maybe 30 seconds to a minute of high kicks to determine flexibility, stamina, and general fitness.  That could eliminate a good chunk of the people auditioning right there.

As for Finals, I want someone (hopefully several someones that don't include Victoria) to come in and blow Maddie's hip-hop game out of the water and do it in such style that anything Maddie does pales in comparison.  I'm not hating on her hip-hop but it is so vanilla and bland that the true hip-hop, done well, is a-frickin-mazing compared to anything she puts out.  Whoever choreographs for her (if she doesn't do it) should be ashamed of themselves.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
On 3/21/2020 at 7:23 PM, EricaShadows said:

I'm pleased to see that the DCC are actually taking the health issues seriously and not like they're above it or that it's a personal attack on them (or at least that's how Kelli might see it, depending on her moods).  It might also be a chance for them to slip in seeing splits on both sides (from the front and from the side for each set) to determine flexibility and to have them do maybe 30 seconds to a minute of high kicks to determine flexibility, stamina, and general fitness.  That could eliminate a good chunk of the people auditioning right there.

This!  I think video submissions for pre-lims are a great idea....pandemic or not!  They should definitely include kicks and splits.  This way they can already have an idea of what the dancer can or cannot do. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, mizzhyer said:

This!  I think video submissions for pre-lims are a great idea....pandemic or not!  They should definitely include kicks and splits.  This way they can already have an idea of what the dancer can or cannot do. 

They’d never do it as Kelli won’t be able to say that hundreds have been gathered for the auditions. Although if it goes well, she might switch to tapes precisely because we won’t be able to see how many actually attended.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

When CMT MTT spotlights TCC auditioners, how many do you think will *woman crying gif* about the time they thought they/their cousin once removed had coronavirus but turns out it was just a bad flu and they then realized how truly short life is, it’s such a gift! And that they have a gift of dance and they will never take a single breath or experience for granted! *shows TCC auditioner pirouetting at SMU room or KCDF, pose!*

I am stir crazy in NY working on taxes from home so let me be snarky, let me be...snarky. 😂😂😂

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Cappuccinagina said:

When CMT MTT spotlights TCC auditioners, how many do you think will *woman crying gif* about the time they thought they/their cousin once removed had coronavirus but turns out it was just a bad flu and they then realized how truly short life is, it’s such a gift! And that they have a gift of dance and they will never take a single breath or experience for granted! *shows TCC auditioner pirouetting at SMU room or KCDF, pose!*

I am stir crazy in NY working on taxes from home so let me be snarky, let me be...snarky. 😂😂😂

You can be just as snarky as you want to be 🙂

Stay safe!!

• Love 6
On 3/21/2020 at 6:23 PM, EricaShadows said:

As for Finals, I want someone (hopefully several someones that don't include Victoria) to come in and blow Maddie's hip-hop game out of the water and do it in such style that anything Maddie does pales in comparison.  I'm not hating on her hip-hop but it is so vanilla and bland that the true hip-hop, done well, is a-frickin-mazing compared to anything she puts out.  Whoever choreographs for her (if she doesn't do it) should be ashamed of themselves.

I believe her mom choreographs a lot of her routines, I know at least one of her finals hip hop routines was done by her mom.  Which.... seems about right.

Edited by aeroluv327
corrected misspelling
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5

I always thought that the first round of auditions should be the kickline, and a full split.    If you can't do that, then you don't need to be auditioning.   

I also don't like the jump split.    It's just too hard on bodies, and even though it looks spectacular, it's not necessary.      A regular split in order, the way they do the wave thing (the foot on back of the person next to you thing) .

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I always thought that the first round of auditions should be the kickline, and a full split.    If you can't do that, then you don't need to be auditioning.   

COSIGN! Like, you had a whollllllleeeee year to get that over split (I would want an oversplit as a judge haha) and imma need effortless Lacey/Holly P kicks. No Mackenzie (sorry!), no stories over mystery torn muscles, etc. you had time to get this. A year is plenty of time to do this, especially if you’re already a dang dancer!! 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Cappuccinagina said:

COSIGN! Like, you had a whollllllleeeee year to get that over split (I would want an oversplit as a judge haha) and imma need effortless Lacey/Holly P kicks. No Mackenzie (sorry!), no stories over mystery torn muscles, etc. you had time to get this. A year is plenty of time to do this, especially if you’re already a dang dancer!! 

Preach, sista! 😂 But then there wouldn’t be a show without all the "will she or won’t she get her kicks up" drama 🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Surely I’m not the only one thinking about signing up?!  Takes the fun out of speculating who might be auditioning, but no way I would show up in person for this. I would, however, happily do it in my living room. 

• Love 21

Oh, you're not the only one.  I'm working from home right now and Texas is only 2 hours ahead of me.  While there's no feasible way for me to attend prep classes in person (nor would I put myself through the scrutiny of showing up on social media accidentally because someone decided to post a video of me dancing), I'm seriously considering it.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, kalibean said:

Surely I’m not the only one thinking about signing up?!  Takes the fun out of speculating who might be auditioning, but no way I would show up in person for this. I would, however, happily do it in my living room. 

I would love to sign up but the main issue is time difference to the UK! I go to bed too early to stay up and join in during the night!

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, SmpIsimon said:

I'm hoping the show doesn't happy this year, mainly to spare us all from another season of VK.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if it DID happen, mainly to feature Victoria.  They'll probably also "change up the format to keep it fresh" and decide to feature the veterans more, only to show one particular veteran.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 3

So, has CMT mentioned anything about bringing back MTT? While I would love a “farewell” themed season to the show itself if they knew it would be the last, I’d be 100% okay if it doesn’t come back. I feel as though the caliber of women coming to audition will far exceed what we’ve seen since the age of instagram fame has taken over. 

5 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

I'm hoping the show doesn't happy this year, mainly to spare us all from another season of VK.

I have been watching since season one, and it's still one of my favs. I would be seriously bummed if they did not have it. There is still a lot of entertainment value beyond the annoyance of VK IMO

• Love 17
On 3/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, Blue hues said:

Any Texas pageant girls auditioning?  Sheridan Donovan, Jewel Lablanc or Briton bonaquisti?  Don’t they dance together?

Yes-- check @carlye_zeringue on instagram. her stories show her dancing in Shelly's online prep class. Carlye has competed in Miss TX and been in the Top Ten a couple of times.

27 minutes ago, Anduril said:

I didn’t read through the whole thread but will there be a training camp this year? 

Because of the pandemic and all. 

All they have said so far is that they will most likely be asking for video submissions for auditions, which were supposed to start the first weekend in May.  Training camp usually starts first week of June.  Like anything else, it's probably day by day.

• Love 1

Seems like it would be prudent to say that if they can't have TC, they have a vet only season just in case football doesn't happen this year.  It would be really hard to have online TC and a HUGE bummer for a girl to make it if football does get cancelled.  I'd love to see the season then morph into a "top 5" format or something - like senior superlatives.  Five most popular over the life of MTT, 5 best dancers, 5 most awkard moments, 5 best comebacks, 5 youngest, 5 oldest, 5 shortest, 5 tallest, etc. interspersed with where are they now moments on one of the five......something like that.

• Love 9

My guess is the calendar shoot won't be out of the country.    Also, with travel restrictions, and quarantine if you leave the country, and return, my guess is the international applicants won't be making training camp.       Or even coming here to try out.   Did they even have any international TCC or DCC this year?      

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is the calendar shoot won't be out of the country.    Also, with travel restrictions, and quarantine if you leave the country, and return, my guess is the international applicants won't be making training camp.       Or even coming here to try out.   Did they even have any international TCC or DCC this year?      

I think Yuko was the last one. 

A few teams (Mavs, Ice Angels, Ice Girls) haven't done any out of the country calendar shoots in 2 or 3 years.