Type keyword(s) to search

Indebted - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

I was really willing to be patient and give the show the benefit of the doubt, but it's just not getting better. Can we take this cast and put them into the hands of actually competent writers?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, JeezumCrow said:

In the pilot there were two (a boy and a girl) but in most of the subsequent episodes only the son was mentioned, so I figured the daughter was just the victim of post-pilot changes. But then they referenced multiple children again and I can’t understand why this family has a daughter that they don’t even acknowledge. 

My DVR did me a service and skipped the last episode. I can’t bring myself to sit through any more, not even for Steven Weber. 

The daughter did appear in last week's episode.  That one (tooth fairy) was originally listed as the second episode, so maybe they just stopped showing the daughter after that one was filmed.  By the way, they are listing two episodes for March 26 now.  I don't know if they want to burn them off more quickly (understandably), or if NBC is trying to push back the Will & Grace finale and make it a big deal, even though that isn't getting the greatest ratings either.

• Love 2

I think part of their problem is they only tackle one subject at a time that consumes the entire cast. If you are not interested in or can not relate to the problem they are having (I find I have little interest in their one percenter crises). Typically a comedy will have 2 or 3 simultaneous plots so maybe somebody else's story arc might be of interest to you. They should probably break the group into smaller parts to let them explore their own very different arcs. 

• Love 5

I just noticed this show is on Hulu. I just watched/dozed through “Everybody's Talking About Doctor Uncle” (don’t know if it had an ending).
The minute Richard Kind walked in, I was taken back to the episode of The Nanny in which he played “A man whom Fran snubbed in high school has written a play and threatens to jump off a ledge unless Maxwell reads it“ (The Playwright), which was so much better written.

Instead, this was full of gross, not funny stuff like strawberry oatmeal baths for eczema. 
Dear student interns writing for this show:  
Just because you juxtapose 2 things that are gross together, that does not equal funny/hah-hah. 

• Love 1

So I guess they have to have a theme every week - mental load, hot goss, big brothering/whatever...?  And so weird that they have 2 kids who are never there for meals, etc.  But I already decided I'm not their audience, so i guess I should keep my opinions to myself at this point.

• Love 4

Yeah this show annoys me but I keep watching for Fran.

What’s up with Rebecca?  She bugs; I feel like she’s constantly trying to do some cutesy Drew Barrymore impersonation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Welp, I just pulled the plug on this show and deleted it from my dvr.  It just wasn't getting better IMO.  If I hear there's an improvement I may try back.  This is a real waste of talent and it makes me sad.  Fran was even yelling some of her lines in this most recent episode about her brother.  Oh well.

• Love 4

I've been watching for Fran, but I just can't do it anymore.  It's getting painful.  Rebecca doesn't have a job, right?  But she can go to the dealership and buy a minivan on her own without having Dave sign any paperwork?  Does that mean she paid cash for it?  And then Dave goes and buys another minivan?  If Rebecca took out a loan and he tried to get financing that would raise all sorts of red flags when he went to buy the second minivan.  Plus didn't anyone notice that vehicles had been traded in and were missing?  And I'm completely ignoring all of the lying to the spouses and thinking it's a good idea craziness.  It's just too much of a stretch of, not just reality, but also intelligence.  Goodbye show.  Fran, I love you, but I just can't bring myself to watch this dreck.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I've been watching for Fran, but I just can't do it anymore.  It's getting painful.  Rebecca doesn't have a job, right?  But she can go to the dealership and buy a minivan on her own without having Dave sign any paperwork?  Does that mean she paid cash for it?  And then Dave goes and buys another minivan?  If Rebecca took out a loan and he tried to get financing that would raise all sorts of red flags when he went to buy the second minivan.  Plus didn't anyone notice that vehicles had been traded in and were missing?  And I'm completely ignoring all of the lying to the spouses and thinking it's a good idea craziness.  It's just too much of a stretch of, not just reality, but also intelligence.  Goodbye show.  Fran, I love you, but I just can't bring myself to watch this dreck.

I kept rolling my eyes at the “broke” parents being able to afford 4 phones. 
Such a waste of a great cast. I guess there was no money left to pay real writers?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

None of the episodes have been good, but this one was excruciating.  I looked forward to the commercial breaks because it meant the episode was getting closer to the end.  At least there is a marathon of The Nanny on now so I can see Fran with much better writing.

• Love 4

I caught this interview with Steven Weber while doing my taxes.
I may have twitched when I heard him say "It's a great show," but thinking later that I must’ve misheard, I found the interview online, and  (starting at the 1.50 minute mark) I noticed that his voice says one thing, but his eyes tell something else, and he quickly goes on to talk about it being a great cast (which, IMO, it is) and makes no mention of the writing (youtu.be/DltZ2ddGcYA). 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I really wanted to like this show but I just can't.  I've watched every episode so far and I don't think I want to force myself through any more.

It's not funny and I'm pretty darn tired of them lying to each other or manipulating each other.  They don't seem like good people; they're not that kind to each other (despite the fact that the show want's us to think that they are a loving, happy family) and it's not entertaining to watch. 

Plus I'm always so bothered by how practically nonexistent the children are.  They aren't even at family dinner scenes.  There are no places set for them!  They only show up/are mentioned when specifically necessary for the plot.  Other than that...where are they?  Who knows?  What are they doing?  Who knows?  I know the kids aren't as big a focus for this show compared to something like Full House or The Nanny but it's lazy writing to have them only exist when convenient.

Oh, and for being broke the parents certainly have a lot of money to spend on stupid things like multiple phones, $100 cash from the "tooth fairy", etc.  They also seem to be doing nothing to help fix their financial situation, like, getting jobs.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:33 AM, AnimeMania said:

I think part of their problem is they only tackle one subject at a time that consumes the entire cast. If you are not interested in or can not relate to the problem they are having (I find I have little interest in their one percenter crises). Typically a comedy will have 2 or 3 simultaneous plots so maybe somebody else's story arc might be of interest to you. They should probably break the group into smaller parts to let them explore their own very different arcs. 

Now that you mention this, yes.  I feel like this is definitely one of the problems with the show.

• Love 6

I thought the first episode was mildly better than the second, though I don't know why we're supposed to be excited about Dave and Rebecca having a night away from their mostly imaginary children that we never see anyway (I think they showed the daughter in the second episode when Stew was making tacos?)

Last night I watched the last episode of The Nanny, which always makes me get choked up even all these years later.  I don't think I'll be crying in a few weeks when this show has its season finale, unless it's a few tears of joy that it's over.  (It looks like there are four more episodes, unless it gets renewed for some reason.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

After vowing to be done with this, I couldn't find the remote and left it on NBC. I just...I mean...I...sigh. I've seen these actors be funny, even with bad material in other shows. This whole thing is just terrible because, even if the jokes hit, they are still four self-absorbed unlikable adults (oh, wait, five, forgot the daughter...a preview for Dave and Rebecca's kid of her future.) It's played without any scope or nuance, just bumbling idiots with no real cares getting in their own way.

I erased a big Seinfeld contrast paragraph, but the gist of my rambling is that if this show wanted to go for heavy irony where they learn all the wrong lessons from their experiences, it isn't working because there's no wink and nod to it. It's presented as "yeah, they're terrible, but they come together at the end" and...I don't want people like this coming together. I want them separated, possibly by court order.

• Love 3

Still watching when convenient on Hulu for indefinable reasons. Corona virus news distraction maybe?

This show has given me a new respect for Peter Chuck Lorre.
I don't watch all of his shows and had to quit Two and a Half Men because it was gross, but Lorre would never have let this cut-rate crap be seen if it had his name in any way attached to it.

Edited by shapeshifter
Chuck Lorre is not Peter Lorre LOL
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Still watching when convenient on Hulu for indefinable reasons. Corona virus news distraction maybe?

This show has given me a new respect for Peter Lorre.
I don't watch all of his shows and had to quit Two and a Half Men because it was gross, but Lorre would never have let this cut-rate crap be seen if it has his name in any way attached to it.

I think you mean Chuck Lorre 😁

On 3/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, AncientNewbie said:

I erased a big Seinfeld contrast paragraph, but the gist of my rambling is that if this show wanted to go for heavy irony where they learn all the wrong lessons from their experiences, it isn't working because there's no wink and nod to it. It's presented as "yeah, they're terrible, but they come together at the end" and...I don't want people like this coming together. I want them separated, possibly by court order.

I think the writers definitely want to be compared to Seinfeld (though they probably think it would be favorably).  It was especially evident toward the end of the "Doctor Uncle" episode where everyone was yelling out those expressions like "little-sistered," "baby-boyed" and whatever they said about Debbie (Fran).  I could just imagine them in the writers' room thinking they had come up with the catch phrases that were going to sweep across America!

My cat kept hitting the space bar during that paragraph, and got really mad at me for continuing to try to type.  He was going, "Why are you typing something about that crappy show instead of giving me your full attention?" and he does have a point.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

During the "Neighbors" episode. I actually laughed a few times, I guess that is a good sign.

Why was Dave drinking directly out of the bottle at a Wine Tasting Party, I thought the point was that everybody should try a little to see which wines they liked.

Indebted shut down production so the final episode of the shorten season will be on April 16.

Edited by AnimeMania
add info on short season

What's weird is that the Deadline article I read said they did finish production, but NBC moved the finale up because of other things on the schedule being switched around.  Then when I looked at the listings at The Futon Critic, it looks like they do have all 13 episodes completed and they aren't showing episode 11.  The plot has to do with Dave being sick and everyone thinks he's acting like a big baby about it, so maybe they actually dropped the episode because it would be too uncomfortable to watch. 

Here is the link with the listings and the crossed-off episode: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/indebted/listings/

I thought this week's episode was a little better than what they've usually done.  I could relate to not answering the door, though the doorbell constantly ringing in the first scene was getting on my nerves (same with later when Stew wouldn't stop yelling, "Shame!" at the partygoers after Deb went upstairs).  And unlike that horrible minivan episode, I actually wanted the show to come back from commercial break, in part because all the ads were really sappy (especially for the affiliate's local news) and getting on my nerves.

• Love 3

Stamford CT, to be exact. It's been mentioned, plus I noticed Steven Weber wearing a Stamford Ct t shirt in one episode, as well the UConn stuff in the Neighbors episode. 

I have to say I really enjoyed that one. I do like Fran Drescher and Steven Weber in this, I think they are funny together and have good chemistry. The husband, wife, and sister are inconsistent but have their moments. It's growing on me.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I do like Fran Drescher and Steven Weber in this, I think they are funny together and have good chemistry

Yes, the cast is fine, I just still can't relate to the plots or "humor." I've been saying it is poorly written, but maybe the writing improved and  it's still just not my thing. I am pretty picky when it comes to comedy.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, the cast is fine, I just still can't relate to the plots or "humor." I've been saying it is poorly written, but maybe the writing improved and  it's still just not my thing. I am pretty picky when it comes to comedy.

It's definitely an old-school broader comedy, and it takes me a while to get into those sometimes. I still enjoy them, but I also enjoy many single-camera, no audience comedies as well.

This and Outmatched aren't great, but there's enough there for me to stick around with both. Next I'm going to give Broke a try.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, shapeshifter said:

I am not picky in the least when it comes to comedy, yet I still can't get into the show either. There are elements I like. I like the sister. I think I might like Adam Pally and his wife. I don't like the parents that live with them and "mooch" off of them. I don't like shows where a person's freeloader status is a constant plot point. (Hence while I like crap comedy I couldn't really get into 2.5 men either).  Also I'm over the overly-involved Jewish mom trope. 

• Love 1

I just watched the Shiva episode. Still not amused. Is it supposed to be funny that the broke parents didn’t just sell the house in Florida and buy one in Connecticut if they wanted to be near family? I think I might like a show about fun Aunt Hilda, except I think this was it. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is it supposed to be funny that the broke parents didn’t just sell the house in Florida and buy one in Connecticut if they wanted to be near family?

First thing I thought of. The writers did not think of this? I know they have to keep the parents in-house for the story line, but at least explain why they can't sell the Florida house. If I thought of it, everyone else did, too.  The actors keep me watching - I like them, but the storylines not so much. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I know they have to keep the parents in-house for the story line, but at least explain why they can't sell the Florida house.

Right. Or maybe even have the parents totally screw up the sale of the Florida house Lucy & Ricky-style so they don't wind up with enough money for a house in Connecticut. This is the show I would enjoy. Maybe my taste is too old. Get off my lawn, and all that jazz.

• Love 2