Type keyword(s) to search

Guilty Pleasure Reading

• Start Topic

I've been known to give up or not even start some books because of the size. Brevity is the soul of wit.

I've only got limited reading time and oft times the story in a 1000 page book can become convoluted and hard to follow.  It's like the author is more concerned with the number of pages and not the story.  Of course, this is not true of all large books, but it takes skill to write an epic story.

The Red Badge of Courage is such a short novel and yet says so much.

• Love 1

Nora Roberts used to be a favorite of mine because her characters were so layered and their banter was always sharp.  Then the language got worse, the sex scenes got more and more graphic, and then I randomly read three in a row in which one of the graphic sex scenes was a rape and murder.  At that point I asked myself if this was the best use of my time, and I stopped cold turkey.  I never tried her JD Robb novels.

My guilty pleasure is anything by Jeffrey Archer.  I love his stuff!  If I want romance, I find myself turning to Catherine Anderson.  "Phantom Waltz" is good.

I picked up the new Nora Roberts book this week, the last in her most recent trilogy, this one set in Cong, Ireland. I hadn't reread the first two since the second one came out back in May, so the details hadn't stuck with me. It's definitely not her best trilogy, but I am rereading it now because I was just in Ireland last month, and we spent an afternoon in Cong (my brother is a fanatic about John Wayne's The Quiet Man, which filmed there, and is the basis of the village's economy), so I am enjoying reading the books and picturing the actual scenery in my mind.

I hadn't even made the connection to the books until we got turned around driving through the streets and ended up going through the front gate of Ashford Castle, which I remembered from the first book of the trilogy, then I geeked out.

My guilty pleasure reading with books, is that at almost 30, I still LOVE a good Young Adult/Teen novel and I kind of have no shame about it.

Right there with you, though I have little shame about it either. Love a good coming-of-age story. 

I would say really fluffy manga series geared at pre-teens are my guilty pleasure, stuff like Ultra Maniac. Though, truth be told,  I haven't indulged in the joys of manga  in  a while. Speaking of, I must confess  even though I haven't read them in YEARS. I sort of compelled to return to the Sweet Valley High series. Talk about quality cheese.

Another guilty pleasure for me is Junie B. Jones. Never read those as a kid, but I read them to my sister and think they are absolutely hilarious and I tend to have to finish them. Probably like them more than she does, truth be told. ;) 

Edited by Beezel