Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: Suit Yourself

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Lemons said:

I’ll say it again.  His family is from Mexico.  They probably were told about the American dream and how great it was on the other side of the border.  So easy to buy a house, a car, have kids.  The ideal country.  Who knows.  But they were not Americans.  

I know everyone’s trying to be politically correct but know your facts.  

Sergio being of Mexican descent is no excuse for his overwhelming ignorance.  If his family was told about the so-called American Dream in Mexico, I'm sure they discovered American REALITY once they arrived in the US.

I have a degree in history, so I know what the 50s were REALLY like.  Unlike Sergio.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, SailorGirl said:

Damn Marquise! I dug it! The model definitely helped sell it! 

That model could sell ice to Eskimos (as my grandmother used to say- I know it's not PC, but you get my drift....)!!  He was something!  

• Love 17

Shavi saying "What?  We won?!" in response to Marquise congratulating him ---- this brought me to tears!

I still love Alan.

So jealous of Chelsey's body - DAMN, girl!

I need the info on Marquise's model pleeeeeeeeaseeeeeeee   he was just… wowowoowow

Google says that Celine Dion and John Galliano's backwards tuxedo was in 1999.  That's only 20 years ago.  I was …… let's just say a kid, but it made a big impression on me.  Not because I liked it or anything.  LOL.  Just because I was obsessed with fashion and the Oscars.  How old is Sergio?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

It had better not be a Victoria/Brittany/Sergio finale. Though I could stand Sergio if he’d stop talking about his “causes”. Not that it’s wrong to have them, but he SO didn’t have one this week and he was talking out of his ass.

If Sergio does make it to the finale, will he give a running commentary on all the political statements each of the dresses stand for as the models are walking down the runway?  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I wish Alan could be part of the show somehow. Yeah he’s extra but he just makes me smile.

As soon as Delvin started saying this was his challenge I knew he’d be in the bottom. I’m relieved he gets to stay and couture another day!

Yooooo Marquise’s model was a fucking boss on the runway he worked it. I’m usually not into the womenswear becoming menswear thing but it really worked for this look. I could see an actual celebrity wearing that on the red carpet. 

Edited by charming
  • Love 19
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Because everyone thought Sergio was being disingenuous.  Don't say your design was inspired by the country going backwards.

Say your design was inspired by John Galliano in 1999.

He was lying, pure and simple.  If you're inspired by other artists, admit it.  Otherwise, you look like a snake.

Exactly.  One look at his designs and it's clear he knows who Christian Dior is and has no problem copying him.  If Sergio had said he wanted to make an homage to Galliano's backward tux, that would have been fine. 

• Love 17
39 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

Fuck. That whining witch is still there. And Brittany too. A few weeks ago she swore she was always the center of attention as a child and now she had a rough childhood? Pick one. Christian disappointed me with the save. At top 7, she should have her shit together.

Victoria gave her model hips and the cut on the waist was weird and bunchy. Not excited by her being back in the top.

Sergio is going to preach about the awesome 50’s where the man worked, the womenfolk cooked, and gay people like him would have been shunned. And let’s not even get into civil rights or the way other minorities were treated. Idiot.

Not just a gay man, but a gay man with Mexican immigrant parents!!!  In Texas!!  (Where Mexicans were considered lower than second class citizens in the 50's.)

He would have HATED living during the 1950's!!!!  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

IThoughtSergio'sBackwardsSuitLookedBetterThanTheOriginal *ducks and runs in case of flying rotten tomatoes*

It's easy to improve upon a design you're stealing from, and with the benefit of 20 years of distance from it.

• Love 18
23 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I’ll say it again.  His family is from Mexico.  They probably were told about the American dream and how great it was on the other side of the border.  So easy to buy a house, a car, have kids.  The ideal country.  Who knows.  But they were not Americans.  

I know everyone’s trying to be politically correct but know your facts.  

Sergio was specifically talking about America.  His whole statement was about America and "Make America Great Again".  he was talking about America going backwards and how it should go all the way back to the 1950s when things were better.

He never brought up Mexico.  I don't know why his statement should be untouchable.  I think it's okay for us to criticize his statement that he chose to make. 

A lot of Americans would rather live in 2020 than the 1950s and Elaine voiced that opinion.

2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Sergio, Celine Dion wore a backwards tux at some award show back in the day, it is not something new. 
Victoria is bugging me more right now, I hope she’s out this week. 

It was probably when she said "I cannot take another negative criticism about my work."  Oh my god she's starting to make me insane.

• Love 22

Sergio's look was fine, but as many have said, it's already been done... and also, didn't Nancy do a backwards white shirt in one of the first episodes? I get wanting to mix thing up, but just turning shit around has been done...

I'm like the winning look this week a lot, it has good presence on the runway and the model did sell it very well. 

I also am okay with Brittani being offed, but also being saved. I honestly hate the stupid save, so i'd rather it get used now when there still a good handful of designers left because then we can forget about it and not expect some dumb twist right before the final episodes or something. 

This episode didn't hold my attention as much, so i really don't remember a lot of the looks... I did like Geoffrey's jump suit though.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Are Karli and Thom Brown wearing pants? Thijin (sp?) really walks the hell out of everything. I thought everyone’s was pretty good except Brittany’s. 

I thought Karlie's runway look was really bad.  Maybe it was a Thom Browne design.  Regardless it looked like she was playing rugby all day and had her clothes tattered or something.  I didn't get it.

I DID like her hair though.  And Christian was wearing a really cute outfit this week in the design room - a patterned shirt, green pants, and cute shoes.

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Because everyone thought Sergio was being disingenuous.  Don't say your design was inspired by the country going backwards.

Say your design was inspired by John Galliano in 1999.

He was lying, pure and simple.  If you're inspired by other artists, admit it.  Otherwise, you look like a snake.  He did not "invent" this idea.  If you're in fashion, you should know the history of fashion.  We're not asking him to know what people wore in the 1600's here.  It was a big viral moment before social media even existed.  And it was relatively recent.

Sergio also bragged during his sketching time talking heads that the backwards tuxedo was something that has NEVER been done before - something totally new.  

I'll never be convinced that he is that ignorant of fashion history.

And add me to the small group of people who did not really like Celine's backward tuxedo jacket (I think that was a last minute decision of Celine's and Galiano's to flip it, so it wasn't even designed that way-which you could tell from the lack of correct tailoring).  I thought that Sergio's dress was very well made - he can definitley tailor the hell out of a garment - and looked great on the model.

There is one thing I remember from a past season of PR - I can't remember who said it, but it was something like "this is a design competition, not a tailoring one", so these designers who are excellent at tailoring need to up their design skills as well.

• Love 18
25 minutes ago, charming said:

Yooooo Marquise’s model was a fucking boss on the runway he worked it. I’m usually not into the womenswear becoming menswear thing but it really worked for this look. I could see an actual celebrity wearing that on the red carpet. 

I agree. I would love to see someone wearing that on the red carpet, and really wish and hope that someone does. Mr. Hula-la was super impressed with it too. Alas, he is not a celebrity, and we have no red carpet in our future, so he won’t be the one wearing it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

My takeaway from this ep...

Delvin is an awful human being.  And, is it my imagination or did Victoria have even more hair?

That's all I got.  What a lackluster bunch of designers.  Not a one of 'em, except maybe Sergio and Dayoung, if she'd stayed, is worth a Christian save.

• Love 9

Haven’t read all the posts yet, so I apologize if someone already covered this, but I am very surprised that Christian said that the difference is satin. That is not correct. My boyfriend owned an exquisite gross grain trimmed tuxedo. I think he purchased it at Paul Stuart. I also purchased a vintage tux jacket. Peacock Blue with a black gross grain shawl collar. A frenemy bullied me into letting her buy the vest, which I, months later, saw lying on her apartment floor. 

Why, oh, why, oh, why did I eventually years later throw that tux jacket out....

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 4

Sergio is so confusing. He seems like such an ass in his talking heads and on the runway but seems so nice when just talking with the other designers. Which one is real? 

He definitely didn't think about his political statement this week. I think all he meant was he wished family's could live off one salary. He wasn't thinking about all the negative things about the 50s. 

I think his design was better than Celine's outfit because with Celine's, she decided last minute to wear that jacket backwards so it was not tailored to be worn like that. With Sergio's, his design was meant to be worn backwards and therefore fit the model backwards. No way he didn't know about Celine's look though. How could he not? And also someone mentioned above, Nancy did a backwards shirt earlier in the season so how can he say no one has EVER done it before. 

Delvin, Brittany and Victoria are awful humans. 

I'm glad Christian used his save even though it was on Brittany. At least now it's gone. 

Nancy taking Tyler away from Delvin was a dick move. 

Victoria saying Nancy designs the same thing every week was laughable. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 11

Alan: “Victoria is definitely a solo designer, she does not work well with other people, she barely works well with herself.” HAH!

I couldn’t believe when Victoria criticized Nancy for doing the same thing every week with the same silhouettes. Has she actually looked at the stuff she’s been putting out? How did the judges love her dress? It looked too tight & ill-fitting to me.

The way everyone kept drooling over Marquise’s model felt really harassing to me. If they did that to a woman, it would be a real #metoo thing.

I’m glad Nina brought up Céline Dion’s red carpet backward tux look. That was the first thing I thought of when he brought up what he was doing & how unique it was.

Brittany needed to go home because of those shorts alone, they were awful, and I knew just by the way people were talking & how they kept showing her that Christian was going to save her.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Marquise’s look was by and far the best of tonight!  But why are all these men’s pants so short ? Is the ankle really “ male cleavage”? Back  in the day we called pants that were above the ankle “ high waters”

That judge apparently does not know the definition of "cleavage."

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Just cringe when Sergio opens his mouth. And why did Christian not comment on the similarity of his outfit to Celine Dion's? I realize a lot of it is the editing monkeys, but it seems like Christian is more helpful to some designers than others. I totally get that a designer like Sergio may not be receptive to Christian's advice. But things sure seem skewed this season.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't want to get spoiled because I just started watching, so maybe someone has mentioned this already, but when Christian said "Tuxedo Park is a historic enclave in UPSTATE NY" I cringed. As someone who lives an hour north of New York City, and has to deal with lots of people saying that I therefore live "upstate," I should be used to this. But Tuxedo Park is BARELY north of the New Jersey state line! And I would have to drive SOUTH to get there!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

He was lying, pure and simple.  If you're inspired by other artists, admit it. 

Agreed. Sergio's problem is his megalomania. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else and thought he could put one over with his "No one's ever done a backwards tuxedo." As if he could convince an entire panel of judges. I immediately remembered Celine's look, and I also remembered when women wore their cardigans and their boyfriends' v-neck sweaters backwards. And St. Laurent created his tuxedo Le Smoking look in the 60s.

I also think that Sergio has attached himself to Nancy for strategic reasons.

Thom Browne's inclusion as a judge was impressive; he's so successful, compared to some of the other celebrity "judges" PR has forced on us. A reminder that CFDA plays a role in this season's winner.

I'm thrilled for Marquise, but I liked Geoffrey's design better.

I thought Victoria's dress was boring and underwhelming. Delvin's was horrible. Nancy's was better than the criticism it received. Christian encouraged the use of her print.

I didn't mind the initial smack talking about Nancy, because they all do it occasionally, and are asked by production to comment on each other's looks, but it crossed over to mean, especially Delvin. And blaming Nancy for the busted buttonhole attachment was a real low blow. Christian pushed back on that. Delvin's a nasty piece of work and he would bring headaches to CFDA's process.

Because of CFDA's agenda (sponsoring commercial looks by skilled designers), and Bravo's desire for drama, I think the final three will be Victoria, Brittany and Sergio-or-Delvin.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 18

I'm sorry Delvin took a turn into catty bitchy town last nite. I didn't hate his look, but he was too confident about it.

Sergio is a mess. I don't know if he's a bad person, but he's disingenuous AF, and full of himself and full of shit. His look was pretty. They often--tho definitely not always-are. But he was a teenager when Celine Dion wore that dumb tux, and probably already interested in fashion, and it's bullshit that he never saw it then, or since. But I actually did like his version better. His stupid 50's comment was...stupid.

Sorry Brittany got the save.

Loved Marquise's look, he deserved the win. I could totally see Billy Porter wearing that. And Timothy Chalamet could rock Geoffrey's jumpsuit.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I have had a hard time with “Dr.Couture” and his arrogance all season, but tonight he was just a mean girl to Nancy. He’s not nearly as good as he thinks he is.

It was bad enough that Delvin, Brittany and Victoria were cutting up on Nancy's design behind her back but then to actually be able to smirk at her as he walked past her and Sergio, knowing she overheard their conversation?  That was shocking in it's cruelty.  He and his fellow mean girl Brittany can go any time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
(edited)

Giving a new interpretation of a tuxedo is an interesting challenge because how far can you push it before it isn't a tuxedo anymore? Color choice is important because if you go navy blue, that's playing it safe. If you pick red, you risk making your model look like someone who valet parks cars.

I hated what Karlie was wearing at the beginning of the episode. She looked like a little kid who decided to dress up as a waiter. Her runway outfit looked like an 80s made for tv movie version of a naughty schoolgirl.

Can Sebastian come by and bring me carbs every morning?

Too many of the remaining designers did not take full advantage of having someone in the workroom to help them. I'm a control freak so I get wanting to do everything yourself but you have TWO DAYS. Farm out the simple stuff to your assistant.

I wish that Geoffrey had not made the shoulders so extreme. Christian was right when he said it would make it look dated. I was surprised that Geoffrey didn't use leather accents (like a leather bow tie). I just assumed he would do something like that. I'm not a fan of manpris. They just look like floods to me.

Delvin, I question your taste level based solely upon the fact that your initial instinct for a tuxedo challenge was POWDER BLUE. Tyler knew it was heinous. Christian knew it was terrible. How did everyone but Delvin know this? I get that he was annoyed with Nancy, first for using Tyler as a model and then for breaking the button hole machine, but I laughed SO HARD when Christian suggested that he sew it by hand and then pointedly said that they didn't have a button hole machine on his season and he did just fine.

Whoever said that Delvin's dark green color looked dated was right. I remember seeing blazers that color at the mall in the 00s. What is with that fucking sideways mullet hem? I am so sick of seeing that every week this season. Once again, I hated the flood pants. The corset part was flattering in the front but it was making the back of the jacket wrinkly. He should have either made the jacket more form fitting or found a better way to incorporate the corset so it wouldn't wrinkle the jacket.

OMG, Victoria thinks a leg garter makes a dress look sophisticated? GURL. And somehow Victoria of all people has the nerve to complain that someone else makes the same look every week? HAHAHAHAHAHA. I thought her design looked too similar to what Christian made for Billy Porter. Yet somehow the judges loved what she made again. WHY?

I cracked up when Nancy said she was choosing a print for the pants because that would mean no VPL. Practical - I approve! I wish Nancy had lined the inside of the coat/skirt with a different color. I didn't like seeing the white as her model walked down the runway. I also wish it had been more flowy. It looked really stiff. The white lapels were too big for my taste. I wish she had used bright pink on the lapels for a pop of color.

I hated the shorts that Brittany put on her model. I know she didn't have enough fabric to make pants but ugh. Formal shorts are bad enough but short formal shorts? The thing I liked best is that she used the print intended for the lining as the main material. I also liked the jacket was open wide on the chest but it made the skinny lapels not lie flat and the buttoned waist ended up making it look like too much like a woman's blazer.

Sergio thinks that wearing clothes backwards is thinking outside the box. I guess that means he never saw Celine Dion wearing a white backwards tuxedo by Galliano to the Oscars in 1999. And the kids in Kriss Kross were geniuses! There was a room full of designers so I was surprised that it wasn't until 2/3 of the way through the episode that someone mentioned that Sergio's white backwards tuxedo was a total rip off of what Celine Dion wore a decade ago but Sergio's version was not as well made. If you're going to copy something that iconic, at least use a different color. I also did not like the pastel pink lapels. I totally cracked up at everyone's expressions when Sergio started his story but what kind of person would say that the 1950s were a great time to live? FFS. Yes, I'm sure all the people who weren't allowed to vote or get married back then thought it was just dandy. Did you know that women weren't allowed to open their own bank accounts in the 50s? Sounds like a great time to go back to.

I liked the cut of Marquise's jacket and I liked the train in the back which gave it drama. It definitely helped that he had an awesome model who had a great body and a great walk. I couldn't decide if I liked the horizontal stripes of fabric or not. The only thing I didn't like was the high turtleneck of the white shirt.

Sergio being genuinely kind and supportive to Nancy isn't enough to totally redeem him, but it's helping a little.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 21
11 hours ago, raven said:

How cute to bring back the eliminated designers in suits and tuxes.  I like the twist that they're picking who to work with.

I'm panicking a little with the early Geoffrey focus.

I hated that there was one more 'former' than there is 'current'.  That young lady shouldn't have been left to stand on that stage, unpicked.  Awful.

• Love 19
12 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

It was bad enough that Delvin, Brittany and Victoria were cutting up on Nancy's design behind her back but then to actually be able to smirk at her as he walked past her and Sergio, knowing she overheard their conversation?  That was shocking in it's cruelty.  He and his fellow mean girl Brittany can go any time.

I really have no issue with people judging the work of others. It is a competition and that is a natural outcome of these people living together. I saw Delvin’s reaction as more sheepish and generally agree with his assessment if the work of others.

Why didn’t they get any plus size male models? Could it be that the show drips of hypocrisy and it rife with producer shenanigans.....no that would take away from the pure nature of good clean fashion competition.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Victoria’s was a pulling mess. Ugh.

I sort of agree with this.  If the goal is to highlight the model's curves, then mission accomplished.  If the goal is to highlight the well-constructed and designed garment, nah.

10 hours ago, Archer27 said:

And then Sergio looked like such an ignoramus about claiming to know cultural, political, societal, and gender issues of the 50s, yet did had no idea of the 1996 Celine Dion backwards suit...it seemed so disingenuous.    

...it was a blatant lie.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

How is it possible that this is the first time I have noticed that Marquise can’t sketch to save his life?

Sort of makes sense, considering he's self-taught.  I would imagine that design schools have an illustrating curriculum?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3