Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E18: Big Girls, Do Cry

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kate has been vile to so many people that it's hard to pin her behavior with Simone as racist. Some of her criticism of Simone was justified, and some was Kate's routine, uncalled-for snark. She does that to most of her stews.

I'm not so sure Lee didn't know about all of the mistreatment of the women in real-time. He may have chosen to adhere to production's script so that the mistreatment could continue, unchecked by him. If so, he sold out.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

Can't, won't state that the issue Kate had with Simone was race based.  Let's say it was her just being a bitch to Simone... So if that continued for the season, then I could certainly see that Simone would have disdain for Kate.

I find it commendable that Simone was at least respectful to Kate face to face and continued to do her job and NOT  be confrontational as past "stews" have with her.. because that generally doesn't work out for Black employees....

I don't see why the "Kate heads" seem to hate Simone because Kate over the course of time treated Simone poorly and Simone vented her frustrations in talking heads only. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

It isn’t always a race issue. Only when it obviously is one. It is not as big an issue as it might be because Kate has so many ride and die defenders.

Several commenters have explained it much better than I ever could. 

I would use Justice Potter Stewart’s stark insight “I don’t attempt to further define it......but I know it when I see it.”

Yeah, I don't see it at all. Simone was a useless asshat, whining and complaining that she wasn't being spoon fed training that she was already supposed to have had in the first place. And then being given tips and hints by Kate and failing miserably anyway, she still complains.  Sorry but we're gonna have to invoke the almighty 'YMMV' on this one because people of all colors, religions, and sexual identities can be assholes too, and stating a fact does not make it a Fact.

As for Kate, I sooooo hope she's getting her own show, or a better show, or a huge opportunity because she's put up with a lot of useless asshats over the years on BD. That said, this season has really turned me off, I don't think I'll be back for another season. I tried the sailing version and turned it off after 20 minutes, it's just as bad.

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

Can't, won't state that the issue Kate had with Simone was race based.  Let's say it was her just being a bitch to Simone... So if that continued for the season, then I could certainly see that Simone would have disdain for Kate.

I find it commendable that Simone was at least respectful to Kate face to face and continued to do her job and NOT  be confrontational as past "stews" have with her.. because that generally doesn't work out for Black employees....

I don't see why the "Kate heads" seem to hate Simone because Kate over the course of time treated Simone poorly and Simone vented her frustrations in talking heads only. 

I think Simone's whining about not getting any training would have went over better if her training needs didn't include how to open bottles, how to cut lemons, how to make iced coffee, how to pour a beer, etc. and if she was more gracious while accepting instruction.

• LOL 1
  • Love 22

I think Simone's whining about not getting any training would have went over better if her training needs didn't include how to open bottles, how to cut lemons, how to make iced coffee, how to pour a beer, etc. and if she was more gracious while accepting instruction.

Very strange to me however, that aside from the episodes in the beginning highlighting those issues, NO MORE was pointed out on subsequent charters... So I have to assume she improved enough for Kate to stop bitching about Simone's performance toward the end of the year.. Moreover, on those subsequent highlights of charters Simone seemed quite competent in carrying out her duties. 

• Love 8

I think once Simone stopped focusing on what was NOT happening and also quit trying to satisfy her itch with Tanner and developed more of a spine she improved greatly at her duties.  Perhaps she was just overly nervous and cautious the first few weeks!  Once she got some confidence she seemed to move into the role.

• Love 10

I am a Kate fan and I don't hate Simone. I don't think she was an excellent stew but don't think she was god awful either. And she wasn't mouthy or belligerent like some stews have been. But I don't think Kate was mean girl to her either like she has been to others. I thought she was mean to Amy (who didn't deserve it) and really mean to Caroline (who kind of DID deserve it, maybe not ALL of it but most). This season Kate was more distracted with the dick bros. I really think Simone had such an issue with Kate (yes, she kept her issues pretty under wraps and was very mature and respectful...but her talking heads showed she had issues with Kate) all because of Tanner. Tanner liked Kate first. But he took Simone as it was better than nothing (in his eyes). Then he washed his hands of Simone (asshole that he is). And went back to trying to get with Kate. I think when Simone was with Tanner he was spilling his poison for Kate (that he got from Kevin and Ashton) to her and so she got sucked in and also disliked Kate (mob mentality). Then when Tanner and Kate were flirting, well that made her hate Kate more. It will be telling if she sides with the dick bros on the reunion show (she already was siding with them on the what happens with Andy show with Kevin and Jemele). 

Edited by Lamima
  • Useful 4
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, tiredofwork said:

find it commendable that Simone was at least respectful to Kate face to face and continued to do her job and

I didn’t find her particularly respectful. She blew her off when Kate told her she shouldn’t be sitting around chatting with Tanner where she could be overheard by the guests. She often mumbled or didn’t respond at all when Kate spoke to her.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, gingerella said:

I tried the sailing version and turned it off after 20 minutes, it's just as bad.

It was boring and predictable!

It will quickly morph in to the same formula BD has been churning out lately.

I remember there was a reality show about a hotel in Palm Springs, Le Parker Meridian, (I stayed in the NYC location...fancy!) and it was really fun and interesting, none of the crap we have on the boats that borders on HR level issues.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I didn’t find her particularly respectful. She blew her off when Kate told her she shouldn’t be sitting around chatting with Tanner where she could be overheard by the guests. She often mumbled or didn’t respond at all when Kate spoke to her.

Kate chastised Simone in her usual Kate way, which was kind of passive aggressive kind of indirect and definitely bitchy. Multiple posts took note and asked why Kate couldn't simply tell Simone to "Be quiet. Even when on break we're still on a charter and breaks need to be quieter, less obtrusive, and less prone to interrupting the guests' very expensive vacations." Lee used to say they were in the vacation business, but not on vacation. It shouldn't be that hard for Kate to say "Simone, the guests can hear you. You're being too loud." Instead it was something like "I know the sunset was lovely and it motivated you to have a deep conversation with Tanner about the impact of your grandmother in your life, but the guests heard that conversation too and told me all about it."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Kate chastised Simone in her usual Kate way, which was kind of passive aggressive kind of indirect and definitely bitchy. Multiple posts took note and asked why Kate couldn't simply tell Simone to "Be quiet. Even when on break we're still on a charter and breaks need to be quieter, less obtrusive, and less prone to interrupting the guests' very expensive vacations." Lee used to say they were in the vacation business, but not on vacation. It shouldn't be that hard for Kate to say "Simone, the guests can hear you. You're being too loud." Instead it was something like "I know the sunset was lovely and it motivated you to have a deep conversation with Tanner about the impact of your grandmother in your life, but the guests heard that conversation too and told me all about it."

Kate is a chief stew, not a baby sitter ! Simone was hired as a 2nd stew ! Not as a greenie !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 12

Looks like they've been casting for a BD season 8 since late Oct, similar to last year, when actual filming then began in late Feb.   Production used the same Diana Wallace casting agency, let's hope they learned from the disastrous casting for season 7.  No hint on whether Kate returns.  I'm still hoping for an All Stars Cast crew for season 8.  Many past fan favs were at the big cast reunion and seemed interested in returning for another season... 🤞

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I watched the last few episodes back to back and noticed one of Simone's go-to moves:

Step 1: Talk shit about Kate as a human being - versus standard-issue boss-venting - in her THs and to people like Kevin, emphasizing how vile phony, inauthentic Kate is when Kate is bright and friendly her.

Step 2: Respond in a bright and friendly way when Kate talks to her collegially or compliments her work.

Step 3: Shows no self-awareness that this is bru-level projection and hypocrisy

Simone's the agent of her own misery, whether in chasing after a loser or insisting Kate's positive feedback is an insult.

She chose to ally herself with a disgusting crew of misogynists, just because her boss acknowledged that a colleague (Courtney) deserved to share the second-stew rank.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Multiple posts took note and asked why Kate couldn't simply tell Simone to "Be quiet. Even when on break we're still on a charter and breaks need to be quieter, less obtrusive, and less prone to interrupting the guests' very expensive vacations."

Possibly because she felt the need to walk on eggshells to avoid just the kinds of accusations she's facing now.  Simone managed to take everything as a slight.  So Kate was sort of in a lose-lose situation in dealing with someone who managed to be simultaneously both a dunderhead and a snake.

Simone could have spoken in one of the six (ten?  I forget how many) languages she allegedly knows and at least kept the guests from understanding what she was saying while she was talking in their earshot. 

It's hard to believe now, having seen what we've seen of her, that I was so excited to finally see a person of color join the crew.  She may have ultimately ruined that same prospect for a lot of worthier people, which is a real shame.  If BD continues, I hope they cast the next pioneer crew member with more care.  Sometimes you suspect that these choices are made intentionally, as a form of sabotage.  Wouldn't be the first time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, heavysnaxx said:

I watched the last few episodes back to back and noticed one of Simone's go-to moves:

Step 1: Talk shit about Kate as a human being - versus standard-issue boss-venting - in her THs and to people like Kevin, emphasizing how vile phony, inauthentic Kate is when Kate is bright and friendly her.

Step 2: Respond in a bright and friendly way when Kate talks to her collegially or compliments her work.

Step 3: Shows no self-awareness that this is bru-level projection and hypocrisy

Simone's the agent of her own misery, whether in chasing after a loser or insisting Kate's positive feedback is an insult.

She chose to ally herself with a disgusting crew of misogynists, just because her boss acknowledged that a colleague (Courtney) deserved to share the second-stew rank.

*claps slowly and with deep appreciation*

Your entire post is so spot on, expressed way better than I could have done. ^THIS^ times a million.

Just as repugnant was Kevin's weak attempts at gas lighting Kate with the Bruchebags, by always saying untrue shit like, "Service is pathetic. Kate's given up. Kate isn't even trying. Kate just doesn't care." The next thing usually uttered by that douchebag was something about how HE has to carry the service on his shoulders because Interior isn't doing anything. Which first of all was BS because nobody bitched about Interior Service. And second, he was always bitching about Interior but somehow Miss I'm So Smart Mathmetician Simone cannot see that SHE is part of that diss, yet instead she continues to stoke the Kate shit talk with Kevin because she knew the Bruchebags hated Kate already. She's lame. The guys are lame. I'm over them all. It'll be interesting to see if AssTon brings his roid ragey anger to the reunion or not, especially after he got his ass handed to him on his last appearance on WWHL.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 22

It's hard to believe now, having seen what we've seen of her, that I was so excited to finally see a person of color join the crew.  She may have ultimately ruined that same prospect for a lot of worthier people, which is a real shame.  If BD continues, I hope they cast the next pioneer crew member with more care.  Sometimes you suspect that these choices are made intentionally, as a form of sabotage.  Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm trying to understand this... So Simone is the "Jackie Robinson" of BD  and if she excelled then perhaps the yachting world, BD, whatever would hire more  Black folk...  But since she was not "Allstar" quality there is systemic race rules that prohibit hiring more Black folk because Simone didn't pass the litmus test.???

Does this rule apply to seemingly incompetent White folk????in this yachting society?   Of course  not because we've seen streams of them...

I'm just looking for clarity on this point.

Edited by tiredofwork
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, tiredofwork said:

I hate fake people. I have much more respect for stews that stand up to Kate than those that smile in her face and then trash her every chance they get. It’s a coward’s move. Plus, when was Simone treated poorly or bullied as some have claimed? If telling a person they’re  not very good at their job is bullying, bring on the AI/robots to replace these sorry employees. I think Simone’s dislike of Kate stems largely from jealousy. Simone throws herself at Tanner and can’t hold his interest. Meanwhile Tanner is practically hounding Kate. 

• Love 14

I really enjoy Below Deck, but I'm so relieved that this season is over (I've said that before - the misogyny and sexual aggression are sickening.) I was impressed at the class the ladies had in saying goodbye to their coworkers - Kevin leaving without saying goodbye was pretty tasteless.

However, I'm definitely looking forward to the reunion - at least two parts of the boys being held accountable for their actions. My schadenfreude meter is ready and waiting.

• Love 15

I am not sure why any of the ladies on this boat even contemplated getting into bed with Tanner’s sweaty ass. I felt like I could smell his stale beer breath in every scene he was in. Add in the cigarettes and the sweat and I was nearly holding my nose sitting at home on my couch. I can only imagine the stench in person. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, TeeMo said:

I am not sure why any of the ladies on this boat even contemplated getting into bed with Tanner’s sweaty ass. I felt like I could smell his stale beer breath in every scene he was in. Add in the cigarettes and the sweat and I was nearly holding my nose sitting at home on my couch. I can only imagine the stench in person. 

Don’t forget the puke! He kissed Simone after throwing up. Beyond his horrible personality, Bru is so disgustingly physically unappealing. 🤮

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

Not a fan of BD Med, and no interest in the sailing yacht new version, so OG BD is all I got. And if Capt. Lee and Kate don't return next season, it's unlikely I'll watch it. If they DO return and we get stuck with another cast of alcoholic bro boys I won't watch it. Yes, we'll likely get one or two crew members who regularly over-indulge; that seems kind of a given in the 20-something yachtie world and I can deal with that. A whole gang of guys who get black-out drunk and band together in their misogyny is repulsive and NOT entertaining. 

• Love 14
17 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Not a fan of BD Med, and no interest in the sailing yacht new version, so OG BD is all I got. And if Capt. Lee and Kate don't return next season, it's unlikely I'll watch it. If they DO return and we get stuck with another cast of alcoholic bro boys I won't watch it. Yes, we'll likely get one or two crew members who regularly over-indulge; that seems kind of a given in the 20-something yachtie world and I can deal with that. A whole gang of guys who get black-out drunk and band together in their misogyny is repulsive and NOT entertaining. 

I'm hoping Captain Lee is back.

• Love 4
On 2/3/2020 at 7:44 PM, breezy424 said:

Nothing much to say.  These brus are such immature assholes. 

No.  You don't kick sand at anybody.  Well, maybe if you're six years old.  And it appears that Kate wears contacts.  That can be brutal if you get sand in an eye with a contact.

Go away Simone.  Use your math degree that you keep going on and  about.

Really Court?  You spent the night with that bru?

Sorry Kev.  You're not as good as you think you are.  Tom Cruise?????  Yeah.  Ok.

The reunion is going to be at least two parts because the listing show next Monday as Reunion part one.  It should be a doozy.

My daughter when she was 3 got sand in her eye while playing in the sandbox at preschool. I had to take her to Urgent Care later that day because not all of the sand was flushed out of her eye and she had corneal tears. It was like a couple of days of painkillers plus antibiotic eye drops. Do you know how hard it is to put eye drops into the eye of a screaming 3 year old? Kevin should go straight to the 9th circle of hell. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
On 2/4/2020 at 12:00 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

Why does everything need to be made into a race issue? I am seriously asking this. I assume that if someone of another race is terrible at their job, or is an ass, or drinks too much, or is a nut job, etc., one can never say anything negative because, race? This entire season has been like this here, and it is sad. I didn't like Simone, NOT because of her race, but because she was arrogant while at the same time sucking at her job, and because I HATE the use of OMG. Is that not a valid reason? Does it HAVE to be race? 

I have to jump on the train also of not seeing this as a racism thing. First off, we have had a couple of cast members that were people of color (including one that Kate absolutely loves and continues to keep in touch with despite having been on four seasons ago). Yes, Simone is the first black cast member but not the first POC. What do we see as a trend though of Kate hating? Lazy and incompetent staff. Simone not only had absolutely no clue what she was doing but was also lazy and showed absolutely no initiative. In one of the previews, you see Kate tell her that she needs to go to Fort Lauderdale and take one of the courses that teaches you service. Go watch YouTube videos like the third stew at BD Yacht did at her last job. Go practice opening wine bottles in your free time. Actually listen when people are trying to give you advice. THAT’s what Kate had an issue with—not the color of Simone’s skin!

• Love 20

I've already made it known I hate the brus but after watching some of the reunion previews, I would think twice about releasing Aston's rope last season after his foot was caught it in.  Okay, kidding (sorta) but I don't understand their doubling down on their behavior given all of the negative feedback they have received.

I don't think we'll see any of them again and I laugh that their antics have been caught on camera as a recording forever.  Ashton is clearly jealous of Kate, Kevin's skills are subordinate to Kate's (and he hates that) and Tanner has some special needs.  As in IQ challenged.  

I don't quite know what to think about Brian other than I feel very sorry for his daughter.  Nobody deserves a Dad like that.

To quote Heather Dubrow, if everybody says you're dead, it is time to lie down.  Brus, if everybody calls you mysognistic, it is time to check out.  Go away. Go home. You were given an opportunity to be loved and you blew it.  Get lost.

• Love 7
On 2/5/2020 at 12:54 PM, tiredofwork said:

I think Simone was the most mature and rational person on the boat.

She stood up for herself with both Tanner and Kate and did so far more respectfully than the way either of them treated her.

Kate is a hypocrite to the 100th degree.  Everything she blames on Ashton, she is guilty of herself.  

This show is ALL about Kate and Captain Lee and between the two, it's Kate's way or the highway.  It's a no-win for just about everyone else.  Gawd.  I watched a few episodes from the 2nd season and Kate was feared even then...although I think she got meaner to her crewmates as time has gone on.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2