Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Holy Ship! We're Sailing!

• Start Topic

Welcome to Below Deck Sailing Yacht, where the winds are stronger, the stakes are higher, and the job is tougher than ever. This season, the crew boards Parsifal III, a 180-foot long luxury sailing yacht. The existing crew includes Captain Glenn Shephard and yachtie couple Paget Berry and Ciara Duggan, who are joined for the charter season by Chef Adam Glick (Below Deck Mediterranean), Jenna MacGillivray, Byron Hissey, Madison Stalker, Georgia Grobler, and Parker McCown. For the first time ever, Paget and Ciara find themselves working in the same department. And with the boat in total disarray, tensions between the old and new crew begin to simmer as they hustle to get ready for their first charter of the season.

Airs February 3, 2020.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

I am SO looking forwad for this one ! I LOVE sailing ! I was "raised" on sailing boats, and the Parsifal III is SO beautiful ❤️  ❤️ ❤️

Me too. I also think the crew will have to be more competent which probably means they will all have diagnosed personality disorders.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

The ship is beautiful but there is too much chrome/silver accents in the interior for my taste.  What a pain that will be to keep clean.

Seriously, the stuff piled everywhere the day before charter was ridiculous.

• Love 5

Erm, did that one guy just ask, “Do you think it’s funny that I’m still breastfed by my mother?”

Did I mishear that? 

Edited by Jel
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Jel said:

Erm, did that one guy just ask, “Do you think it’s funny that I’m still breastfed by my mother?”

Did I mishear that? 

It's in a preview.   

It’s not funny.  It’s very strange. 

Is that even possible?  I missed that part in health class.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

It's in a preview.   

It’s not funny.  It’s very strange. 

Is that even possible?  I missed that part in health class.

Indeed. Whizzes right past funny, flies past Freudian and ends at straight up Greek tragedy.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 14

Is this the first time the original crew ever had charters that were longer than day trips because they really seemed unprepared for a charter season, much less one that was televised.  They seem pretty laid back at this point but I’ve been fooled before. On the other hand, Jenna went to the Kate Chastain charm school. I like Madison’s energy but I fear another Rocky.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I mostly enjoyed it.

The cupboards don't have latches on them???  WTH.  I've never been on a sailing yacht that big but I've never been on a sailboat that doesn't have latches.  

I haven't made conclusions yet about the crew.  Glenn seems pretty laid back.  We'll see how Adam makes out.  The couple who stayed on the boat seems rather sloppy to let the boat go into such disarray.  Parker sailed lazers and hobies.  He knows how to sail.  Don't know if he knows how to handle the equipment on a sailboat this size.  Don't know about the chief stew.  She looks like Kim Raver from Grey's Anatomy.  Madison could be fun or maybe a lunatic.  Same goes for Georgia.  We'll see.

Adam had the best line of the night about when you pull the sails up and turn the engine off, it's the best.  Yep.

• Love 14

Awesome boat!  Crew, better then some we've seen, interior dealt with the disaster of the unprepared yacht, and deck crew already knew how to deal with anchors and sails.

Cannot believe that they didn't spend any time doing a trial run.  Sharp must be desperate to rent the boat out the instant they had possession of it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Is this the first time the original crew ever had charters that were longer than day trips because they really seemed unprepared for a charter season, much less one that was televised.  They seem pretty laid back at this point but I’ve been fooled before. On the other hand, Jenna went to the Kate Chastain charm school. I like Madison’s energy but I fear another Rocky.  

There are special crews that move boats from different ports and to be refitted or chartered for a season. That's primarily what Chandler did prior to season 6. Those crews are often skeleton.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, breezy424 said:

She looks like Kim Raver from Grey's Anatomy. 

Thank you!  Jenna looked like someone I'd seen on TV before and I was trying to figure it out.  It's been a while since I've seen 24 and I don't watch Grey's.

I want to like the captain, but he's either really a slacker or really up for production shenanigans for the boat to be in that state of disarray the day before they were to pick up the first guests.  Either option can lead to a weird season.

The aerial photography of Greece is stunning, however.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

That’s how they cast them, loud, opinionated, undiplomatic.

They’re probably told that they should be vocal, even if it causes drama.

Especially if it causes drama.

Boat and locale are beautiful but it’s a gimmick.  Are they going to repeatedly show things falling when thy put up the sails?  After  the first few times, it will get old.

No way charters on this sailing yacht should cost the same as the BD yachts, since there aren’t the same amenities like water toys.  Are there tenders to take guests to beaches?

But the guests don’t pay real charter rates on BD shows so tips will probably be comparable since it’s fake.

In the “coming this season” scenes, one guy was whining that he didn’t get a shrimp cocktail.  Honestly at times, these luxury yacht charters seem like glorified booze cruises.

29 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

Thank you!  Jenna looked like someone I'd seen on TV before and I was trying to figure it out.  It's been a while since I've seen 24 and I don't watch Grey's.

Oh man, people used to be brutal to her on 24.

They used to call her horsey-faced Audrey.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, breezy424 said:

oards don't have latches on them???  WTH.  I've never been on a sailing yacht that big but I've never been on a sailboat that doesn't have latches.  

The ones that opened you could see had patches they just didn’t engage.

Does anyone know the ages of Paget and his girlfriend? She said her parents moved to Spain when she was 13 and hired him as their captain! They give me weird vibes.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 11

I was into this! The location is beautiful and I like that they’ve changed up the “format” by having some of the crew already living and working together before the others came aboard. 

I also liked the captain. He seemed pretty nice and laid back. I saw this article/interview with Adam and Jenna, which pretty much confirms my initial thoughts. It also hints as some forthcoming drama between her and the rest of the stews. I somehow missed that all 3 stews were sharing one room. 
 https://decider.com/2020/02/03/below-deck-sailing-yacht-chef-adam-glick-jenna-macgillivray-interview/

• Love 8

This was a palate cleanser after watching the end of regular recipe Below Deck.

A colleague's husband spent 10 years building a stunning sailing yacht, and I was fortunate to take a spin out of Oxnard. A few minutes into it we were boarded by law enforcement who grimly interviewed us and then left, definitely dampening the mood.

I do see some casting similarities - Jenna/Kate and Madison/Rocky. The couple in a relationship is a new crew twist.

The captain appears jocular and laid back. He says he can drop anchor and take a swim, and remarked casually in another conversation that autopilot was driving the boat. I'll enjoy seeing how he operates the boat.

It's also going to be interesting to watch an engineer work.

When the tardy couple arrived, they appeared to be drunk and ready to bring hijinks. (Big surprise.)

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 9

So far so good, with the exception of Adam...gahhh, not my favorite chef for sure. I agree that Madison is another Rocky.

I see some problems for Ciara being professional with her boyfriend on board with her and in the same department. Ciara comes off like she is better than everyone else on board. Just my take.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season and hope it doesn't get boring with the same old same old drama.  Here's to hoping!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

I was into this! The location is beautiful and I like that they’ve changed up the “format” by having some of the crew already living and working together before the others came aboard. 

I also liked the captain. He seemed pretty nice and laid back. I saw this article/interview with Adam and Jenna, which pretty much confirms my initial thoughts. It also hints as some forthcoming drama between her and the rest of the stews. I somehow missed that all 3 stews were sharing one room. 
 https://decider.com/2020/02/03/below-deck-sailing-yacht-chef-adam-glick-jenna-macgillivray-interview/

Really interesteing article, with a lot of info !

• Love 2

Madison is going to get on my nerves. And her math skills suck. When she was saying how she's such a hard worker, she said "Normal people's 100% is like, my, 324%." 

First, that doesn't make much sense regardless. But....if I try....

What you said is that when you're working at YOUR 100% you're working 1/3 as hard as most people's hardest.

Why couldn't she just say that her 100% is 3x as much output as most people's 100%?

And does anyone else think that Parker looks a bit like Bradley Cooper?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Jel said:

Did I mishear that? 

No you didn’t but what’s the big deal?

Everyone knows that Colin and Tanner are both still being breastfed.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The ones that opened you could see bad patches they just didn’t engage.

Does anyone know the ages of Paget and his girlfriend? She said her parents moved to Spain when she was 13 and hired him as their captain! They give me weird vibes.

I thought she said 15, but still creepy nonetheless. That whole arrangement is weird. Those 2 and the captain have been living in the boat for so long they have family pictures hanging up all over, but the place was a disaster. I get they were remodeling, and the lack of prep was probably for the cameras, but I’d be pissed if I got there and there was nothing set and what was done was half assed.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

Those 2 and the captain have been living in the boat for so long they have family pictures hanging up all over, b

In their defense when they actually showed the picture wall it was in their cabin.

Similar the condition of the boat seemed to be a bit of exaggeration, it was mostly the deck cushions and clean linens. They said they redid the entire deck so a lot of the stuff looked like it had been recently delivered for the charter season. I mean in past season there was rotting food in the kitchen and other nasty stuff when they arrived on the boat. Even the stuff out in the kitchen looked like it was there so the chef could organize the galley how he or she wanted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It's probably a story for the show.

The chief stew is going to have a battle with the couple probably over something unrelated and then she'll bring up the cushions, the lack of steak knives, all that stuff.

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, dleighg said:

and isn't 74 degrees for a "hot tub" pretty cold? Apparently it was even colder than that. But hot tubs are typically around 100 aren't they? 

Yeah thats like swimming pool temperature.

Unheated swimming pool.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, dleighg said:

And does anyone else think that Parker looks a bit like Bradley Cooper?

Is Parker the one with the thick eyebrows?  He reminded me of a young George Clooney - cute, but he knows it.

Speaking of cute, I think Captain Glenn is adorable!  I can’t put my finger on why though, it’s so weird.

The stews are interesting - I like Madison and Georgia so far - but deck crew looks like a mess.

I hope that breastfeeding line was a joke.

• Love 3
On 2/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, Lady of nod said:

Wow this is gonna be quite a shitstorm. I'm up for it.

This couple have lived on the boat for 9 months and the interior is a nightmare. He doesn't know how to turn the hot tub on. There  are no steak knives for the guests. The sails already popped out of the whatever it is. Bring it on

Oh, there were some red flags in her life story, too.  Homeschooled by parents who decided on a whim that the whole family should move on to a sailboat despite having no real experience sailing.  She falls for the guy her parents hire to help with the boat.  Literally the first guy who came along.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

I hope that breastfeeding line was a joke.

It has to be.  Otherwise, we are talking Rocky-levels of insane there.

And was I mistaken, or was Captain Glenn sharing a room with another crew member? 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

It has to be.  Otherwise, we are talking Rocky-levels of insane there.

And was I mistaken, or was Captain Glenn sharing a room with another crew member? 

You were not mistaken. They do seem like they’re already friends, at least. 

I think captain Glenn is a cutie too. He reminds me of my father in law—very relaxed and affable (and he also coincidentally sails). 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, breezy424 said:

I mostly enjoyed it.

The cupboards don't have latches on them???  WTH.  I've never been on a sailing yacht that big but I've never been on a sailboat that doesn't have latches.  

I haven't made conclusions yet about the crew.  Glenn seems pretty laid back.  We'll see how Adam makes out.  The couple who stayed on the boat seems rather sloppy to let the boat go into such disarray.  Parker sailed lazers and hobies.  He knows how to sail.  Don't know if he knows how to handle the equipment on a sailboat this size.  Don't know about the chief stew.  She looks like Kim Raver from Grey's Anatomy.  Madison could be fun or maybe a lunatic.  Same goes for Georgia.  We'll see.

Adam had the best line of the night about when you pull the sails up and turn the engine off, it's the best.  Yep.

Maybe in her THs, otherwise, she looks just like Princess Beatrice of England to me. 

• LOL 2
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:14 AM, terrymct said:

Oh, there were some red flags in her life story, too.  Homeschooled by parents who decided on a whim that the whole family should move on to a sailboat despite having no real experience sailing.  She falls for the guy her parents hire to help with the boat.  Literally the first guy who came along.  

This was weird right? How OLD is Paget compared to her? Seems to be a likely huge age gap. And hey, I am ten years older than Mr. Crazydoxielady, but this seems to be a bigger gap, and any woman under 25 is light years behind a man in his mid to late 30's which is where I am pegging Paget. Its also odd that they have little concern that the boat was in complete disarray and they did next to nothing to prepare it for charter. You gotta wonder what they did all day every day!

I have a huge six person hot tub. In the winter (I am in Boston area) it is kept at 103-104 degrees. In the summer we make it a "cool tub" and put the temp down to 85-88 degrees, its cool/warm...but we don't sweat in it. Seventy four degrees sounds mighty uncomfortable when you take into account a normal body temp is 98.6 degrees.  Paget and his little filly clearly were not enjoying hot tubby time while alone on the boat!

Nice to see Adam without man trap Malia breaking his heart. He is a cutie pie and I have high hopes for him this season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

When Adam and Jenna appeared on WWHL they showed a preview where they hooked up in the hot tub. The engineer scoffed and said it would be a disaster. I think it is a great move for Adam. A sexually satisfied Chief Stew would be much easier to deal with for the rest of the crew. I always thought that was why Kate and Hannah were so dysfunctional. Especially Hannah.

Adam needs to take one for the team. 

You might call it a well laid plan.

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given what a weird love sick puppy Adam was over Malia was I will go with disaster.

This.  And given how much of a shitshow most romances on BD iterations are...I'm expecting the worst.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given what a weird love sick puppy Adam was over Malia was I will go with disaster.

I don’t think so. Jenna was in the audience when Adam was a guest on WWHL. They have also made some joint appearances to promote the show on various podcasts you can find on YouTube. They seem to get along just fine and there is no tension at all. This might be the hookup that breaks the mold.

I would not judge Jenna on the past performance of the other Chief Stews. Kate is so messed up that she was arrested for beating her last partner and Hannah turns catatonic when she likes a guy.

I hope Jenna is normal. So far she seems to be.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, Lady of nod said:

Wow this is gonna be quite a shitstorm. I'm up for it.

This couple have lived on the boat for 9 months and the interior is a nightmare. He doesn't know how to turn the hot tub on. There  are no steak knives for the guests. The sails already popped out of the whatever it is. Bring it on!

Glenn does seem nice though.

Nicely put!

On 2/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, breezy424 said:

Me neither.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:48 AM, biakbiak said:

😂

On 2/5/2020 at 8:14 AM, terrymct said:

🤣 (rubs hands together) This is going to be good.

Gotta say I was not very impressed with the show.  See you all next week.

• Love 1

I haven’t decided if I like this version or not just yet. I’m happy to see Chef Adam again though. Captain Glenn seems really laid back, and doesn’t  seem to micromanage his crew or play favorites.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 2

I love Captain Glenn so far!!!! But I also really liked Sandy at the beginning, so I’m prepared to change my mind as needed.

I would be so embarrassed to leave the boat such a mess for the new crew to deal with. Ashamed, even.

I am not immediately disgusted or infuriated by any of their personalities so far, but based on the preview for next week I guess the Breast Feeding Deckhand is going to gross me out pretty good.  

Gotta say, the concept of a yacht of this size and grand caliber also being a sailboat is not appealing to me, from the standpoint of a being a potential client. Which I am not, there is no potential that I would ever have enough money to charter a yacht, but let’s pretend I could ... if I want a luxury boat vacation it would not include at any point  tipping from side to side, requiring me to tightly grip things while I listen to objects falling and crashing around throughout the boat. I feel like sailing and luxury are mutually exclusive, and if you want the thrill of sailing and keeling back and forth, do it on a sailboat and then go on a motor yacht for fine dining, 5 star accommodations and service. 

I can’t believe how large the galley is.  The whole interior, really. I expected it to be less nice somehow, more utilitarian. I wish I had that cutlery drawer with the inserts - so organized! And ... bare. There’s a lot of stuff that can get thrown around in there, but I guess in such a dangerous environment it’s a good thing there are no knives!

Looks like this season the obnoxious brus are going to be charter guests and maybe not crew members. Depending on which guy it is, I might really enjoy watching him slip and faceplant into the water.

• Love 4