Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Guilty

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

But they specifically had Eric say, he didn't know until later that Maggie's mom was also at the hospital that night. And we saw him noticing her mom being told the son had died.

Eric and Chloe could have been at a hospital outside of Boston because it specialized in whatever kind of disease Chloe had. Seems like a pretty big coincidence though.

I thought the same but I don’t think he really saw her mom, I think the scene was cut in a way that sounds and activities in 2 different hospitals were overlapped and Eric walking to get a soda for Chloe happened in one place and her mom getting news about Chad happened somewhere else at a different time. 

My reasoning for that is that if he saw her mom getting the news as he was walking with Chloe’s soda, there’s no way he delivers her soda and almost immediately gets a message about a heart. 
There was also a shot of a gurney with a body covered and a hand with an engagement ring on it. I think that was to show the aftermath of the motorcycle accident. So actually 3 different hospitals, three different timeframes. 

Probably have to rewatch and also go back to the story Maggie’s mom told her to verify the timeline between Chads accident and being declared dead. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

I thought the same but I don’t think he really saw her mom, I think the scene was cut in a way that sounds and activities in 2 different hospitals were overlapped and Eric walking to get a soda for Chloe happened in one place and her mom getting news about Chad happened somewhere else at a different time. 

He did. He heard her first, then he saw her and walked away because it was awkward, as one does when there is a sad moment, as if to give her some sort of privacy.

The confusion is understandable because it was confused, how they cut and edited the episode 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, alexvillage said:

He did. He heard her first, then he saw her and walked away because it was awkward, as one does when there is a sad moment, as if to give her some sort of privacy.

The confusion is understandable because it was confused, how they cut and edited the episode 

I still don’t see how that works, he was getting Chloe a soda. He passes her mom (unknown to him) getting the news about Chad,  delivers the soda and immediately gets a text about a heart?  The mom barely had time to realize her son was dead. 
I’ll watch again... this is bugging  me!!!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iwasish said:

I still don’t see how that works, he was getting Chloe a soda. He passes her mom (unknown to him) getting the news about Chad,  delivers the soda and immediately gets a text about a heart?  The mom barely had time to realize her son was dead. 
I’ll watch again... this is bugging  me!!!

I just rewatched that scene. Chad arrives near dead. He is holding the soda can and the voice over says: "I didn't realized until later, your mother was at the hospital" as the scene shows him watching her asking about her son and the doctor asking: "Are you Ms. Bloom?"

If there is someone at the hospital in need of a heart and one is available at that hospital, that person gets the heart, so it is fast. Maybe not as fast as the show implied but that's how it was written

• Love 1
4 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I just rewatched that scene. Chad arrives near dead. He is holding the soda can and the voice over says: "I didn't realized until later, your mother was at the hospital" as the scene shows him watching her asking about her son and the doctor asking: "Are you Ms. Bloom?"

If there is someone at the hospital in need of a heart and one is available at that hospital, that person gets the heart, so it is fast. Maybe not as fast as the show implied but that's how it was written

I watched again too. You are correct. 

• Love 1

I love Jason Ritter and would happily accept the return of his character ASAP even if it makes little sense.  Let’s face it, A Million Little Things is a nighttime soap and soaps are known to reshape storylines in order to bring back popular actors even if it baffles the mind of the viewer.  Sometimes suspending common sense is worth it.  

Let me add:  It’s quite obvious the writers (and/or editors) did a TERRIBLE job in showing us what happened in the Eric/Chase/fiancé scenes.  It was clear as mud.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 2

For some reason, I thought Chad only died four years ago, not six. Add me to those confused about Chad being in the same hospital as Chloe (and thinking that she got the heart after the motorcycle accident -- comments above have sorted that out for me). I thought Maggie's parents lived in California, and Maggie moved to Chicago to get away from them and the Chad memories, and then moved to Boston to get away from friends telling her to try to beat cancer again. (For someone who runs away from things, she's not the best to tell Gary what to do.)

Maybe I'm just better at working out things . . . but I thought Gary was old enough to have already figured out "accept my mother for who she is/was, not for who I want her to be." No need to go to NYC to confront her. If she'd regretted her leaving him, she'd have reached out by now. He already knows she sucks on that accord.

Hated Rome's friend suggesting that Rome had no legal recourse if the friend had stolen the plot. Anyone in show business knows that's not true. Copyright infringement, theft of intellectual property, whatever you call it, not allowed.

Though "drama" requires it, I chafed at Eric having to talk through Maggie's door rather than merely texting his message. Jane the Virgin aptly wove texting into its scenes. Wish more shows would figure out how (though Eric's monologue was quite long), since it better represents what a person would do if someone wasn't taking their phone calls.

I hate-watch this show, so all of this is fun for me.

Edited by smartymarty
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Does anyone else find Rome annoying?
I didn’t think him showing up at the dinner to confront his friend was cool or edgy or even funny. 

While I guess it could be annoying, the fact that the wait staff didn’t connect Regina with her mom because of the race difference, is it really that big a deal? That happens a lot and not just because of race, age can be a big factor, old guy with young wife, old wife with young  husband. What about Eddie and Theo?  There’s never been a situation where someone did a double take or erred in recognizing them as father and son? Think of  Charlie in the future being somewhere with only Katherine.  Without describing herself as “STEPmother” or Charlie as “STEPdaughter”  no one would know.  I kind of think that’s a petty point to get so peeved over... annoyed yes, but minor in the face of all the issues there can be. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

While I guess it could be annoying, the fact that the wait staff didn’t connect Regina with her mom because of the race difference, is it really that big a deal? That happens a lot and not just because of race, age can be a big factor, old guy with young wife, old wife with young  husband. What about Eddie and Theo?  There’s never been a situation where someone did a double take or erred in recognizing them as father and son? Think of  Charlie in the future being somewhere with only Katherine.  Without describing herself as “STEPmother” or Charlie as “STEPdaughter”  no one would know.  I kind of think that’s a petty point to get so peeved over... annoyed yes, but minor in the face of all the issues there can be. 

I'm guessing it is not a big deal the first few times it happens, but if it happens over and over for decades it may get more frustrating.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iwasish said:

I didn’t think him showing up at the dinner to confront his friend was cool or edgy or even funny. 

I'm in an interracial marriage and maybe because I'm in a city or more progressive state, I could count on 1 hand the number of times someone noticeably wondered about me being my kids mom. I actually never thought about it and my son said he would pick up on it at times but he realized I didn't. It was just a second look. Early on, having my husband arrive to drop something off for me, caught some by surprise but we were far from the only couple that was mixed race and I see that almost gone now with couples. I work in a large hospital and see every type of family there is. I felt Regina's comments were rude but everyone has a different experience depending where they grew up and their own personality.

I found the most annoying and sad thing my whole life, was being just another white woman to many racial comments when they didn't know about my family. I would need many pairs of hands and feet for that and in this climate today, I can still see many hidden racists who still feel skin color makes you someone to confide their beliefs in. 

That said, I would hate to be Charley in that family much more than any other family on the show.  ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm guessing it is not a big deal the first few times it happens, but if it happens over and over for decades it may get more frustrating.

I'd actually think the opposite. Wouldn't surprise you after a while. That said, I'm not in that situation, and only experienced the "there's your grandfather," pointing to my dad. Not something I ever got upset about since I considered it a logical conclusion, but of course race is a much more heated issue than age.

I called that happening as soon as the receptionist confirmed the dinner reservation.... These writers are so transparent, and un-original. And what was so different about what Rome said at dinner to what he'd said in the office? His speech only worked if/because the actor (right?) was moved by it. Seems he would have addressed his thoughts to that guy instead of the producer guy if getting the actor on his side was his plan.

27 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

I'd actually think the opposite. Wouldn't surprise you after a while. That said, I'm not in that situation, and only experienced the "there's your grandfather," pointing to my dad. Not something I ever got upset about since I considered it a logical conclusion, but of course race is a much more heated issue than age.

I called that happening as soon as the receptionist confirmed the dinner reservation.... These writers are so transparent, and un-original. And what was so different about what Rome said at dinner to what he'd said in the office? His speech only worked if/because the actor (right?) was moved by it. Seems he would have addressed his thoughts to that guy instead of the producer guy if getting the actor on his side was his plan.

I think the saying "the straw that broke the camel's back" is more descriptive of the erosive nature of having that sort of thing happen to you all the time. As for the parent issue - I was pretty ticked off when a new co-worker asked if the my kids (a picture I'd just hung) were my grandchildren. Don't think the kids would have minded (in fact they didn't  - they found it hilarious)

My take was that he did it specifically to tank the story thief's impending deal with the guy Rome wanted to play the part. Or at least, let him know that the guy isn't trustworthy. And me, I have no problem shining a light on thieving assholes. May have done it a time or two in my life - though more slyly. I generally gave them enough rope to hang/reveal themselves in meetings.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

The writing on this show is just so sloppy.  I wish they would steal a writer or two from "This is Us" and see how to really write a drama.  Everything that happens on that show has a purpose and this show just seems to introduce characters and plotlines that just don't go anywhere.  What was the point of the whole AJ storyline?  And the storyline with the assistant?  And Delilah being broke but then all of a sudden she wasn't broke?   And what do all these people even have in common besides hockey and a dislike for their mothers?   Maggie needs to find her own friend group and move on from her ex's friends.  How do either of them get over their relationship if they are always at the same kids birthday parties or meeting at the restaurant.  I would be pissed if I were Gary and she kept showing up.

And Katherine needs to find new friends for herself and Eddie.  Yes, he needs a relationship with Delilah because they are co-parenting but that doesn't mean they all have to have to hang out as "friends".  

The only somewhat realistic character at this point is Sophie.  I actually liked how she got drunk with her friend.  It was one of the few realistic portrayals of a teen acting out I've seen on network TV.  

On 2/7/2020 at 10:09 AM, Suzn said:

I about gagged on hearing "best mom".  She was ready to abandon her children!  How can they gloss over that?

I don't recall either Eddie or Delilah saying they were going to abandon their children. They were going to leave their spouses.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, KaveDweller said:

I think Eddie told Rome and Gary that he was planning to leave Katharine for Delilah, just not that they literally had suitcases packed. He had been telling them even before Jon died about how he was going to leave Katharine.

I'm not really sure there is value in telling anyone more at this point. They know they cheated, they know about Charlie. It doesn't matter at this point what they were going to do, since they are no longer planning to do it. It's just going to cause more pain. Telling about Charlie was needed because she is a person who deserves to know who her family was, and Eddie deserves to know his kid, and all that.

Plus, I never got the impression they were going to run away and never see their kids again. They were being assholes, but neither of them are that much of an asshole. They care about their kids, even if they aren't perfect parents.

Yes, Eddie had been unhappy for quite a while, and at the time, Gary was practically begging him to leave Katherine.

I took the packing scene to mean that they were going to meet up at a hotel room and figure out the details of their respective divorces later. Most likely Delilah would've hoped to get custody, and maybe even Eddie hoped he would get custody of Theo as well, since he was the stay-at-home parent. 

And I agree, telling those who do not know the gory details what Eddie and Delilah were thinking or planning at the time will serve no purpose but to rub salt into wounds. I think folks just want the dreaded, hated Delilah, and to a lesser extent Eddie, to keep on suffering for their actions. It's not Sophie, Danny, and Theo's business what was going through grown folks' heads, they're kids. My parents went through a rough patch and they didn't fill me in on every detail of what did or didn't happen and what thoughts were going through their heads at the time.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

And I agree, telling those who do not know the gory details what Eddie and Delilah were thinking or planning at the time will serve no purpose but to rub salt into wounds. I think folks just want the dreaded, hated Delilah, and to a lesser extent Eddie, to keep on suffering for their actions. It's not Sophie, Danny, and Theo's business what was going through grown folks' heads, they're kids. My parents went through a rough patch and they didn't fill me in on every detail of what did or didn't happen and what thoughts were going through their heads at the time.

It still doesn't make Delilah the 'best mom', and I think that's more of the point that's being made. She still has handled things VERY BADLY. We know that she loves her kids and she's not the worst mom, but she was still planning to lie to her kids. Before Jon died, she was definitely going to cause a very ugly situation to erupt with her affair. By, yes, deciding to leave with Eddie and drop the bombshell that she was leaving Jon for Eddie (which would have been the worst way to handle it with the kids, and that's also on Eddie for also going to create that situation with Theo). We also know she keeps running to her friends for help with her kids, even when the situation is super minor. She's made some very crucial mistakes, mistakes that could have been disastrous had she not been convinced to tell the truth. 

Unfortunately, Gary has Delilah so high up on a pedestal that it has somewhat affected my opinion of him. This is also the guy who found out about the affair on his birthday and promptly ate birthday cake and laughed with Delilah while being so angry at Eddie that he ended up punching him. 

I just asked for Delilah to be appropriately punished by having ONE person mad at her for more than a week. Sophie is that outlet for me right now and it IS satisfying. 

Eddie has suffered for his actions and has had to claw his way back to forgiveness. That's why I'm not as upset. Delilah has only JUST hit that rock bottom and will have to claw HER way back to forgiveness with Sophie, and that's what I am interested in seeing.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It still doesn't make Delilah the 'best mom', and I think that's more of the point that's being made. She still has handled things VERY BADLY. We know that she loves her kids and she's not the worst mom, but she was still planning to lie to her kids. Before Jon died, she was definitely going to cause a very ugly situation to erupt with her affair. By, yes, deciding to leave with Eddie and drop the bombshell that she was leaving Jon for Eddie (which would have been the worst way to handle it with the kids, and that's also on Eddie for also going to create that situation with Theo). We also know she keeps running to her friends for help with her kids, even when the situation is super minor. She's made some very crucial mistakes, mistakes that could have been disastrous had she not been convinced to tell the truth. 

Unfortunately, Gary has Delilah so high up on a pedestal that it has somewhat affected my opinion of him. This is also the guy who found out about the affair on his birthday and promptly ate birthday cake and laughed with Delilah while being so angry at Eddie that he ended up punching him. 

I just asked for Delilah to be appropriately punished by having ONE person mad at her for more than a week. Sophie is that outlet for me right now and it IS satisfying. 

Eddie has suffered for his actions and has had to claw his way back to forgiveness. That's why I'm not as upset. Delilah has only JUST hit that rock bottom and will have to claw HER way back to forgiveness with Sophie, and that's what I am interested in seeing.

I do have to admit that even I, as someone who actually likes Delilah, raised an eyebrow at the "best Mom EVER" remark, lol! I guess I just considered the source - as has been pointed out, Gary doesn't have a wealth of good examples from which to draw his conclusions.

I am enjoying the Sophie storyline. I think it's relatively realistic for her to be so angry, though I'm not hung up on realism when it comes to tv shows. I like to sit back and be entertained, and I find this show quite the entertaining soap opera. The characters are all hot messes in one way or another, and I'm here for it all.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I don't recall either Eddie or Delilah saying they were going to abandon their children. They were going to leave their spouses.

Yes, Eddie had been unhappy for quite a while, and at the time, Gary was practically begging him to leave Katherine.

I took the packing scene to mean that they were going to meet up at a hotel room and figure out the details of their respective divorces later. Most likely Delilah would've hoped to get custody, and maybe even Eddie hoped he would get custody of Theo as well, since he was the stay-at-home parent. 

That's true, I don't think anyone thought they were leaving the kids permanently. The way they wrote their conversations in person and on the phone though, they were "done" and both hadn't talked to their spouses about it, but Deliah was leaving. She filled the fridge like her main job was shopping, laundry done, etc. Poor Jon is at the office, one less thing to do. I don't think she planned on living there until they sorted out the living situation. To put your lover so high up over your kids, and both weren't being abused, was sordid and I can't forget it. They were still young. Wait, talk to spouses and sort it out. She's not 18, the passion was ongoing for a while, she could have handled a few weeks more.  (and it sure ebbed fast later!)

I don't tell my kids everything but she was going too then. Now it would just be turning the knife I agree.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, debraran said:

That's true, I don't think anyone thought they were leaving the kids permanently. The way they wrote their conversations in person and on the phone though, they were "done" and both hadn't talked to their spouses about it, but Deliah was leaving. She filled the fridge like her main job was shopping, laundry done, etc. Poor Jon is at the office, one less thing to do. I don't think she planned on living there until they sorted out the living situation. To put your lover so high up over your kids, and both weren't being abused, was sordid and I can't forget it. They were still young. Wait, talk to spouses and sort it out. She's not 18, the passion was ongoing for a while, she could have handled a few weeks more.  (and it sure ebbed fast later!)

I don't tell my kids everything but she was going too then. Now it would just be turning the knife I agree.

I  agree it’s a lot to dump on them, and we don’t know specifically what the kids have been told, but sometimes it is better to yank the bandage off all at once and let the wound scar over. Only telling part of the story and parceling the rest of it out over time will keep reopening it and it may never heal properly. How can the kids ever really trust that they’re getting the truth about anything.  Once your parent(s)tell you something that turns out to be a lie, even when they fess up and tell you they lied so you wouldn’t be hurt, you lose trust in those who you should be able to believe in. Trusting anyone 100% after that is very difficult. 
I’ll confess that there’s a big part of this story line that mirrors things that happened in my family. I know firsthand the impact that choice to lie made by my parents, that they may have felt was in our best interests at the time...when everything (I’m not even sure it’s everything) fell apart, how relationships have been forever changed. Maybe telling us the truth from the start would have been difficult and there would have been repercussions, maybe we could have come to terms with it. But we’ll never know.  I just know the pain,  anger, confusion and mistrust we feel as we try to rebuild some kind of real relationships.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:15 PM, KaveDweller said:

Exactly. All my life, I have been asked, "Where are you from?" and it has just gotten more and more annoying as the years go on. And it's not that I'm trying to keep it a secret. It's more the fact that so many complete strangers think it's perfectly acceptable to (1) assume I'm from somewhere else and then (2) ask me where I'm from based on what my face looks like and then (3) think it's perfectly fine to keep interrogating me when the answer I give doesn't satisfy them ("I was born in Chicago" is always followed by "But where are you REALLY from?" and then "Where are your parents from?").

They don't mean to be rude or invasive but after the 100th time, I started to realize that I don't owe anyone an answer, least of all a stranger who is making assumptions based on my appearance and just being nosy.

Imagine being asked the same personal question by strangers regularly while you're grocery shopping or putting gas in your car or waiting in line. Even if it's something innocuous like your shoe size (or something more judgmental like how much you weigh), there's a point where most people will just get sick of answering the same question over and over for people who really have no need for that information. So yeah, I get why Gina got prickly. It's like getting a paper cut in the same spot over and over (ha, a million little paper cuts?). No, it's not going to kill you but it is really fucking annoying and becomes a sensitive spot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/12/2020 at 3:00 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Exactly. All my life, I have been asked, "Where are you from?" and it has just gotten more and more annoying as the years go on. And it's not that I'm trying to keep it a secret. It's more the fact that so many complete strangers think it's perfectly acceptable to (1) assume I'm from somewhere else and then (2) ask me where I'm from based on what my face looks like and then (3) think it's perfectly fine to keep interrogating me when the answer I give doesn't satisfy them ("I was born in Chicago" is always followed by "But where are you REALLY from?" and then "Where are your parents from?").

They don't mean to be rude or invasive but after the 100th time, I started to realize that I don't owe anyone an answer, least of all a stranger who is making assumptions based on my appearance and just being nosy.

Imagine being asked the same personal question by strangers regularly while you're grocery shopping or putting gas in your car or waiting in line. Even if it's something innocuous like your shoe size (or something more judgmental like how much you weigh), there's a point where most people will just get sick of answering the same question over and over for people who really have no need for that information. So yeah, I get why Gina got prickly. It's like getting a paper cut in the same spot over and over (ha, a million little paper cuts?). No, it's not going to kill you but it is really fucking annoying and becomes a sensitive spot.

I get what you're saying. I was raised in a diverse city and it wouldn't even dawn on me to ask someone where they or their family are from unless we became friends. How is it my business what a stranger's nationality or ethnicity is? If they bring up the topic first, maybe, but otherwise no.

That being said, I do not find it a stretch that the hostess at the restaurant would assume that Regina's mother hadn't shown up yet based on the "evidence", for lack of a better word. If the situation were reversed and the hostess looked into the dining room and saw only people of color, I would expect her to think that my mother hadn't arrived yet just based on my ghostly complexion, lol. Her assuming that Regina's mother was black is not something bad, it's a logical conclusion.

I think society as a whole is learning slowly that those types of conclusions are not always right, and the best we can hope for is that when they realize their mistakes, they learn and grow. But teaching people that what they have always known and believed is not always the case, that one plus one does not always equal two, well, that is going to take some time.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I get what you're saying. I was raised in a diverse city and it wouldn't even dawn on me to ask someone where they or their family are from unless we became friends. How is it my business what a stranger's nationality or ethnicity is? If they bring up the topic first, maybe, but otherwise no.

That being said, I do not find it a stretch that the hostess at the restaurant would assume that Regina's mother hadn't shown up yet based on the "evidence", for lack of a better word. If the situation were reversed and the hostess looked into the dining room and saw only people of color, I would expect her to think that my mother hadn't arrived yet just based on my ghostly complexion, lol. Her assuming that Regina's mother was black is not something bad, it's a logical conclusion.

I think society as a whole is learning slowly that those types of conclusions are not always right, and the best we can hope for is that when they realize their mistakes, they learn and grow. But teaching people that what they have always known and believed is not always the case, that one plus one does not always equal two, well, that is going to take some time.

So in the future Reginas mother should tell the wait staff that she is waiting for her daughter to arrive and by the way, “ she’s black”. Or should the  wait staff ask “ is your daughter  white, black, Asian?” Regardless of how society has changed or is changing I think that scenario is just too petty to even use an example. 

There's no need for her to make any assumption about what Regina's mother looks like. The hostess could have said, "Feel free to take a look around and see if your mom is here," (which is what I've been told many times when I arrive at a restaurant and say that I'm meeting someone or a group of people). Or she could have said, "What name was the reservation under? I can check to see if we've seated her already." 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There's no need for her to make any assumption about what Regina's mother looks like. The hostess could have said, "Feel free to take a look around and see if your mom is here," (which is what I've been told many times when I arrive at a restaurant and say that I'm meeting someone or a group of people). Or she could have said, "What name was the reservation under? I can check to see if we've seated her already." 

Exactly. I've gone to restaurants where my husband, friends, or mother have been waiting. I don't think any of the hostesses ever presumed to know if they were there unless there was a reservation.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2020 at 7:16 PM, KaveDweller said:

But they specifically had Eric say, he didn't know until later that Maggie's mom was also at the hospital that night. And we saw him noticing her mom being told the son had died.

Eric and Chloe could have been at a hospital outside of Boston because it specialized in whatever kind of disease Chloe had. Seems like a pretty big coincidence though.

OK, that's what I thought. It is a huge coincidence if that's the case but I guess it's what they are going with. The whole premise of this story line is pretty flimsy so why not I guess. Does anyone remember where Maggie's family was from?