Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Underwear

Athena
  • Start Topic

Hated pretty much all of the designs.  I consider myself a liberal prude.  I have no problem with how anyone wants to explore sex, (as long as it doesn’t involve minors & it’s consensual).  I think what makes something or someone “sexy” is personal and spans a very broad spectrum. So get your freak on with fetishes if it is your thing.  However, I don’t care to know what your fetishes are.  I don’t want to hear about bondage or S&M or ball gags, or sniffing underwear, thanks.  If and when I do, there are plenty of resources on the internet to do ‘research’!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
16 hours ago, leighdear said:

Why was every female model plus-sized, and none of the male models had even ONE excess ounce, not a dad bod in sight?

Bingo! I was thinking the same thing. Why not have plus size men models? So much effort is put forth about ‘real women’, ‘embrace your curves’, etc... Well, ‘real men’ don’t always look skinny and buff. Double standard? 
I didn’t like anything they sent down the runway but I’m not into lingerie, I’m someone who sleeps in a men’s size large t-shirt. 
I thought Angel/Minju should have gone home for that overly lacy monstrosity. 

• Love 7

Holy bad ideas Claire and Adolfo! That lingerie looked like cut up drapes. 

Angel and Minju lack sexual experience [very high voice]? They kept saying they didn't know what 'lingerie' meant and I don't think the explanation really landed. 

Edited by Adgirl
  • Love 3

The male designer judge from last episode must have fought HARD for Kiki and Farai to result in a non-elimination. As soon as Farai said something like, if a high end fashion house made this everyone would think it was cool and where do they get [steal] the ideas from? Us! He would not budge on his support of them. 

Anyway to this episode, Angel and Minju's was awful but they have won 2 challenges so I can see why they were safe. Esp since the other bottom team was a team that's been in the bottom 3 times already. 

Claire and Adolfo are lucky there were some designs worse than theirs. That looked straight out of a Dracula movie. I know Claire was pissed that Kiki and Farai weren't eliminated but, get your head in the game! At least last week's guest judge didn't convince them to get rid of you guys instead!

I hope during the application/audition process for this show the designers were told that it was teams of 2 and you could apply as a duo or you could apply as a single but then would be paired up with another single. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I hope during the application/audition process for this show the designers were told that it was teams of 2 and you could apply as a duo or you could apply as a single but then would be paired up with another single. 

This has got to be the way they structured it.  If you weren't already part of a designing/fashion pair, you could apply as a single and they would team you up with somebody. 

Kind of like going as a single, on a ride at an amusement park.  They seat you with another single rider.   *LOL*

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 1/30/2020 at 4:44 PM, leighdear said:

Why was every female model plus-sized, and none of the male models had even ONE excess ounce, not a dad bod in sight? 

This! “All body types” only applies to women apparently.  I can’t help but think that this decision was made because the primary audience for this type of show is women and gay men, and therefore the female models should/can be “relatable” but the male models need to be visually appealing to that demographic.  Men are still supposed to be eye candy in this industry because of who the audience is.  Do any plus size male models even exist? Is that even a thing? I’ve never seen any.  

• Useful 7
  • Love 11

I’m glad Ferrari and Kiki are finally gone. They were in the bottom almost every single challenge.  And despite their dramatic outburst in the last judging, I don’t think racism had anything to do with it.  I don’t doubt they’ve encountered racism/obstacles in real life, but on this show, most of the judges (and most of the contestants, come to think of it) are people of color. Or at least a good portion are.  It doesn’t seem like a case of anyone underestimating them because of their race. In fact I think they used that issue to manipulate the results of the last episode to keep themselves from going home.  The reality is, they just made bad decisions (mainly Kiki, with her insistence on raw edges in the last challenge and no underwire in this one).  Their designs were the least successful.  Bye!

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, iggysaurus said:

This! “All body types” only applies to women apparently.  I can’t help but think that this decision was made because the primary audience for this type of show is women and gay men, and therefore the female models should/can be “relatable” but the male models need to be visually appealing to that demographic.  Men are still supposed to be eye candy in this industry because of who the audience is.  Do any plus size male models even exist? Is that even a thing? I’ve never seen any.  

I seem to remember America's next top model did a photo shoot with male plus sized models one year. So they do exist somewhere in the industry but too few and far between. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iggysaurus said:

There are a few, but I agree that the focus on “plus size”, seems to only focus on women. https://www.thecut.com/2019/10/the-new-frontier-of-plus-size-male-modeling.html

• Love 2

The larger guys on PR were only included in the "Real People" or "Family Group" challenges.  They did outfit a musical group one season, I think "The Sheepdogs"?  Does that sound right?  I seem to remember a beefy lead singer and a lot of REALLY BAD designs and construction.  

• LOL 3
On 1/31/2020 at 7:43 AM, BusyOctober said:

I don’t want to hear about bondage or S&M or ball gags

As someone with a very strong gag reflex, just the idea of a ball gag makes me, well, you know.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:54 PM, Samwise979 said:

I know Claire was pissed that Kiki and Farai weren't eliminated but, get your head in the game! At least last week's guest judge didn't convince them to get rid of you guys instead!

yeah when Claire said "there are too many people here" I thought "hey you, you might have been eliminated last time so I wouldn't mention that!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

anyone know what the deal is with the mini bottles of champagne they enjoy after the runway? Looks like a cup on top-- but how is it opened?

I was kind of creeped out by the models for Angelo and Charles. The male model looked like a very young teen. And they were the couple that "had a moment" on the runway.

• Love 6

Thanks for the info on plus size male models - that's interesting! However, from the one article linked above, it sounds like it's based more on the guys being extremely tall and "brawny," rather than any of them just being pudgy or fat.  So it still seems like a bit of a different standard compared to the plus size female model trend.  

It's great if designers can make clothes that work for all sizes. I just think the concept of this challenge was strange - having ALL the female models be plus sized (in more of the pudgy sense), while all the men were rail thin and buffed, and the fact that this approach was chosen for the underwear challenge specifically. Not that I wanted to see doughy men wearing underwear.  I'm overweight myself and I don't particularly want to see other overweight people of any gender modeling underwear/bondage gear or whatever.  That's just me though. 

• Love 5

I really did not like many of the designs for this episode.

Was so glad to finally see Kiki & Farai get eliminated. I understood what Kerby was saying last episode when he was describing how high-end fashion houses often swipe designs of young up and coming designers of colour, and that they face insurmountable barriers all the time due to racial discrimination. I just think he picked the wrong hill to die on when it came to these two. Most of their designs were hot messes, and very poorly constructed to boot. Their elimination was due to a lack of talent and nothing else.

The runway effects for this show were unnecessary and annoying - the constant exploding fireballs were obscuring the models and it was hard to see the designs as they walked. And I'm with the poster who commented on the previous episode thread about how irritating the constant 3-2-1 countdowns are! It's totally getting to me!

Starting to get to know some of the contestants:

Boy are both Claire and Carli ever sourpusses! I'm finding them both supremely unpleasant to watch. I can't believe how bent out of shape Claire was about Kiki and Farai staying. Focus on your own stuff lady!

Daniel is indeed cute and easy on the eyes.

I love the Dragon Princess team, but they had a narrow escape this week, and need to step things up.

The fetish dudes irritate and bore me. They probably deserved to win for colourful originality this time around, but I couldn't care less about any of their designs or their "scene".

• Love 2
On 2/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, dleighg said:

anyone know what the deal is with the mini bottles of champagne they enjoy after the runway? Looks like a cup on top-- but how is it opened?

I was kind of creeped out by the models for Angelo and Charles. The male model looked like a very young teen. And they were the couple that "had a moment" on the runway.

They are called sippers. You open the bottle & put the "cup" on top. You can see the normal top of the bottle here. image.png.17f1903b718b4c3a55278725cc8779c4.png

The guy looked super young and emaciated. Very creepy

• Love 8
On 1/31/2020 at 8:54 AM, GoldaVining said:

Ha! My boobs are so sad they need scaffolding and a winch crane.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:01 AM, leighdear said:

My bobs are so sad, I'm having an Irish Wake for them next week.  And I'm not Irish.  *ROFL*

My nipples stare at my toes all the time 😞

No surprise there wasn't an elimination from last episode.

This show was a whole lot of ugly, I didn't see a single thing I liked, they could have eliminated them all. I'm so glad Ferrari and Kiki are gone, but I was surprised they didn't eliminate 2 teams. I wonder if they plan on doing that in a future episode?

I forgot to ask this question before, so I'll do it now. In the suit episode, Hayley didn't line the entire jacket because she didn't have enough material. Does this mean they can't just go back to the fabrics & take what they need after the original choosing? I sort of assumed they could, but if she ran out of material, it doesn't seem like they can.

• Love 2
On 1/31/2020 at 4:43 AM, BusyOctober said:

I don’t want to hear about bondage or S&M or ball gags, or sniffing underwear, thanks.  If and when I do, there are plenty of resources on the internet to do ‘research’!

Isn't this show on the internet tho? 
Sorry couldn't resist.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2020 at 10:04 PM, Samwise979 said:

I seem to remember America's next top model did a photo shoot with male plus sized models one year. So they do exist somewhere in the industry but too few and far between. 

ANTM called them "brawny".  Here's one.

2505119D-849D-4C61-8AA2-C87DA7DEA4B2.jpeg

• Love 2
On 2/2/2020 at 10:59 PM, iggysaurus said:

I’m glad Ferrari and Kiki are finally gone. They were in the bottom almost every single challenge.  And despite their dramatic outburst in the last judging, I don’t think racism had anything to do with it.  I don’t doubt they’ve encountered racism/obstacles in real life, but on this show, most of the judges (and most of the contestants, come to think of it) are people of color. Or at least a good portion are.  It doesn’t seem like a case of anyone underestimating them because of their race. In fact I think they used that issue to manipulate the results of the last episode to keep themselves from going home.  The reality is, they just made bad decisions (mainly Kiki, with her insistence on raw edges in the last challenge and no underwire in this one).  Their designs were the least successful.  Bye!

Look, if you see anything other than WHITE white, you have probably experienced some kind of racism or discrimination. The only discrimination these two sisters have experienced have been from people who hate terrible clothes. Oh, wait.....

• LOL 1

This episode was a clunker for just about all of them. Up until now I thought at least some of the designs (although not always my taste) were more progressive/modern than the stuff the PR designers make. ...I mean, PR just did a tie dye episode and declared tie dye was having a moment. ...was it?!

Anyway, they need to lose the runway theatrics, cuz I don't need flames with my fashion. It's very hard to see the clothes when explosions are going off.  Simple is better. 

• Love 5

It's really mean that they sent all of the designers home for the night without announcing a decision for the previous challenge. I would guess most of them didn't get much sleep since they didn't know what was going to happen.

As for the actual decision, that's bull shit. If all four judges were split, that shouldn't mean that no one gets eliminated. You shouldn't get a pass for making crappy outfits just because the judges couldn't decide. And as multiple people pointed out, Farai and Kiki were in the bottom THREE times (out of only FOUR challenges).

I was glad that when Daniel suggested a silk pajama shirt for the extended size model, Carli immediately shot that down.

It wasn't until Marco mentioned that he designs underwear that I realized where I remembered him from. Two years ago, the San Francisco Ballet did a piece choreographed to Bjork's music and the costumes were designed by Marco (complete with the face mask/muzzle accessory). You can see some pictures/video footage here.

Carli and Daniel - I didn't like the lace trim on the male model's outfit, mostly because I really didn't like the way the black lace looked against that blue color. I also have a personal thing about lace edging because usually it annoys my skin. I also didn't like the camisole top he was wearing. I hate having a loose top when I go to bed because I inevitably roll over and then the material gets twisted around my torso. Because the female model's outfit was all black and dark blue, I couldn't see much detail on the runway. It just looked like a dark nightgown.

I didn't like Farai and Kiki's because the satiny fabric they used looked wrinkled/bunched up on the runway for the female model's shorts. The bra top looked like it didn't fit the model very well.

Ashton and Marco's looks were very colorful, which I liked. The way Marco patched the pieces of color together made it look like a print, which was really cool. Hahaha, I loved that Adriana said that she would wear both outfits.

Charles and Angelo's designs were both very simple from a distance (which was not helped by the fact that both models were wearing only black). I liked that Charles made sure that the female model had enough support. Her top looked like it fit so well.

Angel and Minju surprised me when they chose all that lace. I didn't like either outfit and I did not like the styling at all.

Claire and Adolfo's red velvet gave it a very 90s Frederick's of Hollywood look.

FINALLY Farai and Kiki have been eliminated! This was their fourth time in the bottom so it was their time to go.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
typo
  • Love 2
On 2/3/2020 at 10:18 AM, dleighg said:

The guy model reminded me of Jason from “The Good Place” and so it seemed all kinds of wrong, although I can’t articulate why.

i have to crack up every week at Charles telling Angelo to hurry. Angelo seems like he could definitely drive you nuts but damn he is adorable. Very nice to look at and he always seems sweet and happy.

ETA: @ElectricBoogaloo, I just wanted to mention how much I always enjoy your thoughtful and detailed posts, both here and re: Project Runway. You often touch on things I missed or would like to think more about. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4
(edited)

@Tabbygirl521 awwww, thanks! Ha, even though it's only the fifth episode, you're right - Charles is constantly telling Angelo to hurry up! I love how Angelo never tries to protest that he IS hurrying because he clearly knows that he isn't! They're a good team. Charles can tell him to focus/hurry and Angelo doesn't get defensive or protest.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2020 at 11:01 PM, Cheezwiz said:

Boy are both Claire and Carli ever sourpusses! I'm finding them both supremely unpleasant to watch. I can't believe how bent out of shape Claire was about Kiki and Farai staying. Focus on your own stuff lady!

Yes. They are the most annoying contestants to me, as well.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

ETA: @ElectricBoogaloo, I just wanted to mention how much I always enjoy your thoughtful and detailed posts, both here and re: Project Runway. You often touch on things I missed or would like to think more about. 

Yes, I'd like to chime in on that....doesn't hurt that I agree with you most of the time, either. 😍

• Love 2

I decided to wait until this season of PR was finished before watching this show, afraid I would get them all mixed up. So I'm late to the party. I was hoping this show would be a "smarter" version of PR, but no. I died laughing at this episode's runway show. Every single outfit was hilarious. I don't know what planet these people live on. 

I also wanted to snark on Tan's tearful outburst and that group hug. All this felt very much like manufactured drama to me. 

• Love 3

I really did not like Claire's poor attitude about not eliminating contestants the night before.  Although I agree that the judges should have come together to make a decision, Claire was one of the designers up for elimination, although she seemed to have forgotten that.  How can she be so cocky about her "trash bag landed on chest" design and think she was robbed when her future with the show was in just as much jeopardy as the other pair of designers?  I also can't agree with Kerby Jean-Raymond's decision to leave the judging because it wasn't going his way.  Egos abound here!

• Love 2

While I absolutely hated Angel and Misou's, I though the most boring team and should've been bottom was the black lingerie team.  If a high slit is the most exciting element they deserve to be voted off.  There was nothing about that outfit that looked interesting, unusual.  It was boring.

Started binging over the weekend and got to episode five.

The designers who don't know each other are at a real disadvantage.

Looks like producers think we all watch for scripted quips and gags. Ugh.

I appreciate the use of both genders for models but agree that the dudes have perfect healthy bodies while the women range from too thin to healthy to obese.

I like seeing the wide range in aesthetics but don't see any attractive clothes. However the camel suit was divine.

Not familiar with Tan's TV work until now (I refused to watch Queer Eye redux). But he seems especially superficial and camera-hungry. His comments are based on his own personal preferences vs. having a more open mind, or he settles for an "I agree." There doesn't seem to be much thought there. It's as if he loves to buy and wear clothes but isn't open-minded about fashion's variety.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Sesquipedalia said:

This episode was the first tv show to ever set off my Amazon Echo. 

funny, it didn't do mine. For awhile, maybe 3-4 months back, there were several ads (that I was -- LOL-- listening to on the radio on my Echo--- that shut it up for several seconds. They seem to have solved *that* one.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, Samwise979 said:

The male designer judge from last episode must have fought HARD for Kiki and Farai to result in a non-elimination. As soon as Farai said something like, if a high end fashion house made this everyone would think it was cool and where do they get [steal] the ideas from? Us! He would not budge on his support of them. 

I get that they struck a nerve for him in regard to racism, and I know that Black people experience systemic racism, not only in business, but in everyday life every day. However, in my opinion, this was not a racist moment. He hadn't seen their previous bad designs and poorly executed work.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:13 AM, GaT said:

I forgot to ask this question before, so I'll do it now. In the suit episode, Hayley didn't line the entire jacket because she didn't have enough material. Does this mean they can't just go back to the fabrics & take what they need after the original choosing? I sort of assumed they could, but if she ran out of material, it doesn't seem like they can.

My speculation is that the fabric room was closed to repair the problems with the fabric bolt holders and clean up and disinfect the bloodied areas.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As for the actual decision, that's bull shit. If all four judges were split, that shouldn't mean that no one gets eliminated. You shouldn't get a pass for making crappy outfits just because the judges couldn't decide. And as multiple people pointed out, Farai and Kiki were in the bottom THREE times (out of only FOUR challenges)...

I didn't like Farai and Kiki's because the satiny fabric they used looked wrinkled/bunched up on the runway for the female model's shorts. The bra top looked like it didn't fit the model very well.

To me, taking a premade bra and sewing fabric to it isn't design/craftsmanship at the level that this competition demands. And why wasn't the wretched cameltoe of those poorly fitted, too-short shorts mentioned? Farai did a nice job for their male model with that same fabric.  I think Kiki dragged Farai down. I hate team competitions.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

We just started watching NIF this week. When we saw Ashton and Marco’s facemask look all we could think of were “men ahead of their time”. 🤣😭

I started it this weekend as well (30 day free Netflix subscription). I was concerned about the tiny thong for the male  model, but they fixed the problem of "a nut hanging out," as I think Ashton said. That model must be a waxer! Because that was a smooth situation down there. And he was hot, hot hot. I loved the shot of him doing pushups before the runway. I thought their looks were wildly successful.

• Love 2
On 2/4/2020 at 2:01 AM, Cheezwiz said:

Was so glad to finally see Kiki & Farai get eliminated. 

Did I miss something in the rule book that said that the decision by the judges has to be unanimous?

Kiki and Farai were told time and again that they needed to edit their creations, yet seemed to keep adding and adding. Sometimes piling on all the extras is just a way to distract people from realizing that the concept isn’t great to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I didn't mind the winning designs, but I felt the team was one of several that completely ignored the instructions to make the female look male, and the male look female.  I think maybe they could have been recognized as a top look, but the win should have gone to designers who did what they were asked.

I really loved the winning look here...so much color and fun, and super sexy without looking trashy.

It seemed a little odd to me that Charles said he knows how to create "extended size" lingerie because his sisters are bosomy, but he walked the talk! As a bosomy lady myself, his design definitely seemed the most supportive and flattering.

Edited by Iseut
  • Love 1

Judging the competition is model Adriana Lima. However, it seems that there's a recurring sentiment: the expectation that breasts must maintain a perky and lifted appearance, often achieved with the help of undergarment wires, to be deemed appealing. This commentary echoes similar observations made during the competition.