Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Prints & Patterns

Athena
  • Start Topic

WOW. That was head and shoulders above every single print challenge runway I've ever seen on PR. So many great looks. Prabal mentioned Instagram and most of those designs would have photographed so well for Insta.

I liked the watercolour print design, the one where they painted on the top, the least and would have sent them home. The pair that had to leave was not as exhuberant as the rest, but even the judges agreed that it was commercial - which is not a bad in fashion, is it?

• Love 6

I was actually a little disappointed in a lot of the results, despite the fact that I was liking everyone's original prints and how effortlessly they were made (chalk drawings, simple computer aided sketches, paintings.) 

I am again annoyed by the 'team' aspect, I think the Scottish girl is getting a bit of a bad hand dealt to her with her partner, the ex-Marine who takes over every challenge so their finished looks reflect him and not her. That said, she could be a bit more obstinate about it, but then they risk not coming together and finishing.

Did NOT like the winning looks, just a lot of volume, and the tulle didn't work for me. I felt like Prabal Gurung was sold on the story and not the garments themselves. If these had been created by any other team, minus the story, I doubt they would have won. I feel the winner should be based on the look alone. Kinda soured this show for me (but I'll keep watching!)

Edited by amusebouche
Re-phrased my criticism about the winning looks
  • Like 1
  • Love 19

I like Angel and Minju, but I didn’t care for their winning looks.

I don’t mind the team aspect with the teams that knew each other going in or even with the British guy and his partner who have similar backgrounds, but I feel for the Scottish woman as well as the first woman that was eliminated. I don’t think they (or their partners) would have gone far either way, but the team aspect made it difficult, at least to watch. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, amusebouche said:

Did NOT like the winning looks, just a lot of volume, and the tulle didn't work for me. I felt like Prabal Gurung was sold on the story and not the garments themselves. If these had been created by any other team, minus the story, I doubt they would have won. I feel the winner should be based on the look alone. Kinda soured this show for me (but I'll keep watching!)

Again, the looks seemed to be a riff on the Korean Hanbok dress.  I lived in Korea for 7 years and immediately saw that in their first dress and this 2nd pair.  

https://hanboksarang.com/

If the Korean woman is going to bring that long, flowing look out every challenge, it's going to get old fast.  

• Love 5

I like Angel and Minju but I really disliked their winning designs. I liked Kiki and her teammate (don’t know names yet) designs better. The other top designs, Juluan and Scottish lady’s was interesting too. 
I didn’t think the losing design was that bad, the dress was cute.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 5

I was quite surprised that Ashton and Marco were in the bottom since I really liked their looks.  Of course I'm a sucker for the goth/punk aesthetic so that might have something to do with it.  Julian and Hayley make me tense while watching, he's overpowering and she's kind of sour.  I could maybe like them as individuals, but as a team they need to go.

It occurred to me that Carli looks like Ricky Gervais in drag and now I can't un-see it.

I also appreciate how un-pretentious the hosts are...they seem to be having a good time with it.

Edited by leocadia
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, leocadia said:

It occurred to me that Carli looks like Ricky Gervais in drag and now I can't un-see it.

Oh crap! You're right, and now I can't unsee it either. I do quite like her though.

What I am liking about the show: I like the hosts, I like that most of these folks have established careers in fashion, I love how international it is, love all the different accents. 

What I don't like: that it is so far all team challenges. And that some teams know each other while others don't. Seems unfair. 

I love that some of them did decide to make their own prints. 

• Love 4

I've only watched up to this episode so far.  I was super impressed with what came out for episode 1 so I was really disappointed in this one.  I hated all of the prints.  All of them.  I like prints and patterns a lot, but just not these.  I also hate the team aspect of this.  While it can improve the quality of each garment, it just feels like one of them is always getting lost in the process.  Especially the Scottish girl. 

• Love 4

After two episodes, I’m mostly enjoying this. I’m finding it to be a bit too much chatter from the hosts, and way too much talking during the runway. I hate the “3, 2, 1, go” during the runway. Such a small thing, but it drives me nuts!  lol And the constant music in the background is a bit much. 

I do like how they are producing better quality garments than on PR. I also like how everyone gets a chat with the judges and not just the top and bottom looks.

I’m rooting for Charles from Hamilton, simply because he’s from Hamilton! 🇨🇦

Edited by Jessa
  • Love 7
On 1/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, leighdear said:

If the Korean woman is going to bring that long, flowing look out every challenge, it's going to get old fast.  

Look how she dresses, that's exactly what she has been wearing every day, she's locked into that style.

I'm not loving the team aspect, but I would guess that they're only doing that to knock down the amount of designers, then they'll switch to individual challenges. I hope.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2020 at 1:11 PM, leocadia said:

I was quite surprised that Ashton and Marco were in the bottom since I really liked their looks.  Of course I'm a sucker for the goth/punk aesthetic so that might have something to do with it.  Julian and Hayley make me tense while watching, he's overpowering and she's kind of sour.  I could maybe like them as individuals, but as a team they need to go.

Ooh I didn't like Ashton and Marco at all. They seem very full of themselves. Julian and Hayley made me tense too--they're oil and water. It doesn't seem quite fair that some teams were random and some were old friends/collaborators who were used to working together. Uneven playing field. I don't like teams anyway. I'd like the individuals to show us what they've got. If the idea is that there are too many contestants and they want to weed out the field quickly, I think they should just start with fewer players in the first place. What's the point of bringing in 18 people, only to pare it down to 8 or 10 as fast as possible?

I was sad to see the eliminated team go, I liked their looks. Naresh was philosophical, but Lorena was pissed. It did make me laugh a little that she didn't make much effort to hide it. But she's the reason they went. She was too timid to splash out on a bold print. Naresh would have gone all out, I think, if he had a partner who was down. He was a gentleman, and see where it got him? Too bad.

Oh my, Julian is really astonishingly handsome isn't he? Holy cats.

Hayley seems to be one of those people who won't speak up but then mutters under her breath. Put up or shut up. Don't stalk around being disapproving.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Jessa said:

. I hate the “3, 2, 1, go” during the runway. Such a small thing, but it drives me nuts! 

We are the same person. It's small but it drives me nuts. Maybe because you can tell she's milking that moment with the very deliberate hand gestures, etc. My husband kept asking why I was tripping off that. Can't explain it so bless you for understanding.😋

• Love 4
18 hours ago, ChelleGame said:

We are the same person. It's small but it drives me nuts. Maybe because you can tell she's milking that moment with the very deliberate hand gestures, etc. My husband kept asking why I was tripping off that. Can't explain it so bless you for understanding.😋

I’m glad I’m not alone with my irrational reaction to it. I mean, do it once to start the runway show if you must, but why multiple times? 

Now every time it happens, know I’m glancing over to share a knowing look with you. 👀 

Edited by Jessa
  • Love 2
On 2/3/2020 at 12:09 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

I was sad to see the eliminated team go, I liked their looks. Naresh was philosophical, but Lorena was pissed. It did make me laugh a little that she didn't make much effort to hide it. But she's the reason they went. She was too timid to splash out on a bold print. Naresh would have gone all out, I think, if he had a partner who was down. He was a gentleman, and see where it got him? Too bad.

I was hoping, for their sake, that they could create something restrained but also awesome. Nope! Julian came out on top by being a bulldozer and not listening to his loud-pattern-averse partner. Naresh compromised, as they're supposed to, and went home for it. I did think it was boring, though, with so much of that monochromatic, fussy, toile-type print. Mixing in a 3rd pattern might have helped, or breaking up the female outfit with the 2nd prints. Color would have helped. There had to have been a better solution than that. If I had to guess,  not making their own print was probably the deciding factor even over being boring. The plaid guys created something new.

However, if I'd been judging I might have instead tossed out the punk look or the third one on the bottom, the watercolor one, because I prefer boring to ugly. None of that together for me. The paperbag waist on the watercolor look was so unflattering. I liked where the plaid was headed but agree it felt old and not in a old-is-new way. Just old. I really don't like those guys on a personal level.

Also had some quibbles with the top picks. The winner was fine, I really liked how the patterns were distinctly different and yet worked together extremely well. Didn't think the wedding story should have swung Prabal quite so much from "meh" to "OMG", and the tulle wasn't entirely successful. The African-inspired look was really good at first glance, great silhouette and vibe, but the border print felt so very literal -- why is there a zebra? because there are zebras in Africa. The cowmaflage was definitely not my taste but I can see why it was successful in an editorial-street-Insta way.

I gave up on PR a few years ago. I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality coming down on the runway here, a big step up IMO.

• Love 3

I love print challenges, mostly because there always seem to be so many designers who say things like "I don't design with color" and "I don't use prints." I was surprised that so many of the teams decided to make their own prints. I mean, I would just because who knows when you'll ever have the chance to design your own print again?

I liked the way that Farai and Kiki's mixed their print with  other prints, but I wasn't crazy about the garments that they made. The dress on the female model was pretty basic and the male model was wearing a very loose/unstructured shirt and pants.

I liked that Claire and Adolfo's white and light green color scheme was so unexpected. I liked how tailored but easy the female model's outfit looked. The jacket was cute and the pants fit her really well. The male model's look complemented the look but design wise, the pieces were just there.

Naresh and Lorena's black and white toile print was very safe. Once again, I preferred what the female model was wearing. I did not like the shiny snakeskin jacket on the male model at all.

Julian and Hayley really went bold with their print, their color choices, and the design on their male model. The female model's dress was a bit basic in design. It looked like a standard summer dress.

Ashton and Marco's look was definitely a bit too derivative of their inspiration. I agreed with Tan that it was too Gwen Stefani. It felt more like a performance costume than a runway look.

Angelo and Charles had an okay print in terms of design but it was bold and striking on the runway.

Angel and Minju's wedding idea sounded interesting when they described it but I wasn't sure how it would end up looking. The prints they designed reminded me of something you would see at Ikea - very colorful with large shapes. I think I would have liked their prints better if they had scaled them down slightly. What I liked best about their two prints was how complementary they were to each other.

Carli and Daniel BARELY had a print. I was not a fan of the silver jeans because, as Tan said, they've been done.

• Love 2

Count me among those who would really appreciate an explanation as to how these teams were chosen. 

Carli and Daniel should have gone home.  I was surprised they weren't in the bottom two.  When Ashton & Marco were named I knew they weren't going home and it would be Naresh and Lorena.  I really loved their dress from Ep 1, so I was really hoping they'd stick around. 

I found it funny that here Tan & Alexis are harping on Ashton and Marco's for a 90's design inspiration, when Alexis' dress looked like something from the 80's.  (I was actually disappointed that on "prints/patterns" week she chose something so subtle and rather frumpy.)

I really like Angel and Minju, they're just so damn cute, but I really did not like their outfits this week.  (Loved Ep 1's pink dress.)  The dress was ok, but I don't even know where to begin with the male model's outfit. 

I'd like to see a fashion show where there are random people chosen off the street brought in to judge, along side with the professional judges.  I sometimes get where the judges are coming from, but other times, I'm just so confused.  (cow-maflage outfits, I'm looking at you.)

Are there any sites with post-elimination interviews that don't contain spoilers? 

• Love 2

I am enjoying this show a lot. I got a kick out of the one LA guy who was dismayed that they’d have to use prints and how prints would be everywhere and it would be so awful. Dude, you’re sporting full sleeves - you are a walking print. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
On 2/23/2020 at 7:42 PM, chaifan said:

Carli and Daniel should have gone home.  I was surprised they weren't in the bottom two.  When Ashton & Marco were named I knew they weren't going home and it would be Naresh and Lorena.  I really loved their dress from Ep 1, so I was really hoping they'd stick around. 

Same - I really thought that Carli and Daniel would be out.  Their print was so muted AND the design wasn’t great.  I would have given Naresh and Lorena the edge for making great, if boring, clothes.  I was hoping maybe they’d edge the dress with a pop of ribbon or something when they were done so early, but nope.

I liked team LA Plaid’s male look a lot, but the women’s look was no bueno to me. 

I am not enjoying the little “tip” segments.  They seem pulled straight out of Queer Eye to me. And does anyone in 2020, watching a fashion design show, not know about horizontal versus vertical stripes?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I am enjoying this show a lot. I got a kick out of the one LA guy who was dismayed that they’d have to use prints and how prints would be everywhere and it would be so awful. Dude, you’re sporting full sleeves - you are a walking print. 

Exactly what I said! You have prints on your skin. Ha.

I was happy to see Lorena go after she picked such boring fabrics. Did she think she could make it through the competition making nothing but solid black garments? And she had a bad attitude. But I hated Carli and Daniel's, too. That paper bag waist was super unflattering (but is it ever?), and their "water colors" look like those "paintings" you get when you give an animal* a palette of paints and a brush.

*I have a "painting" done by a dachshund that would have made a prettier print than theirs.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2020 at 12:22 PM, carrps said:

But I hated Carli and Daniel's, too. That paper bag waist was super unflattering (but is it ever?), and their "water colors" look like those "paintings" you get when you give an animal* a palette of paints and a brush.

Thank you for giving me something to laugh about in the midst of this coronavirus panic.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Thank you for giving me something to laugh about in the midst of this coronavirus panic.

You're welcome! If it's all I can do, it's better than nothing. 😜

I wasn't wowed by any of these looks. And my loathing of team challenges is being amped up with each episode. Let these contestants rise or fall on their own!

I think my expectations may have been too high because of the praise this show was getting in the Making the Cut thread, and don't get me wrong, the show itself is head and shoulders above MTC. But if it's going to be all team challenges, ugh.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:43 PM, Ashforth said:

I wasn't wowed by any of these looks. And my loathing of team challenges is being amped up with each episode. Let these contestants rise or fall on their own!

I think my expectations may have been too high because of the praise this show was getting in the Making the Cut thread, and don't get me wrong, the show itself is head and shoulders above MTC. But if it's going to be all team challenges, ugh.

I completely agree! I hate hate that this is a team challenge. It doesn't seem at all fair some people are getting through based on their partners skills looking at you Angelo and other people get kicked off Naresh because they compromised.

I also had higher expectations due to the praise of this show on MTC.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:09 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

If the idea is that there are too many contestants and they want to weed out the field quickly, I think they should just start with fewer players in the first place. What's the point of bringing in 18 people, only to pare it down to 8 or 10 as fast as possible?

This 100%

On 1/30/2020 at 9:37 AM, amusebouche said:

I didn't like the winning look either and I also feel they won because of their story!

• Love 1
On 2/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

And at least you can change out of a print and launder it while you try a different aesthetic.  "Dude" is stuck with those sleeves for life; a life ending with wrinkly skin and horrified grandchildren.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The challenge was to go big and bold with prints, and it evoked mixed reactions. Some expressed amazement at the quality of the designs, believing that many would be Insta-worthy.

However, not everyone was impressed with the results, despite appreciating the original prints' creation.

The team aspect of the competition garnered mixed opinions, with some feeling it put certain contestants at a disadvantage. Winning looks and the influence of storytelling on the judging panel also drew criticism, causing a bit of disappointment for some viewers.

🤞Despite these concerns, many are still committed to watching the show.