Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: The Premiere

• Start Topic

Hand candy. Moira. Never change

I mean despite the crow attacks Alexis is quite handy with public relations. And I don't want this to be the end of the Crowening or Moira's future as a B-movie horror star.

The scene with Stevie and John was sweet. I think he misses her too.

Patrick wants kids and David has mixed feelings about it. Oh no...I hope this doesn't derail their relationship. Drugged up Patrick is hilariously cute.

Patrick: I want to tell you a secret. I'm hungry.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, redfish said:

Patrick wants kids and David has mixed feelings about it. Oh no...I hope this doesn't derail their relationship. Drugged up Patrick is hilariously cute.

I called it back in season 4 and I still stand by it: Stevie will be Patrick and David's surrogate. That will give her the challenge that she wants while also making her a part of the family (even more than she already is). 

2 hours ago, redfish said:

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Blink and you miss it 

But Johnny’s book cover had a literary puff - 

” ’Read This Now’ - Sunrise Bay’s Moira Rose” 

and also enjoyed Moira’s round a bout way of saying Alexis was right-  “you were not wrong” 

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I called it back in season 4 and I still stand by it: Stevie will be Patrick and David's surrogate. That will give her the challenge that she wants while also making her a part of the family (even more than she already is). 

That makes total sense. Patrick really dodged David's question about whether he still secretly wanted a child. My guess is that Stevie will get knocked up, and then Patrick will convince David that they should raise the kid together.

If the plot goes this way, I'm going to have a very hard time actually believing that David would agree to raise a baby.

Also, raising a kid is expensive. It's implausible enough that David and Patrick can make ends meet just for themselves, with that type of shop in a small redneck town.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

As tempting as I'm sure it is to complain that Johnny is being unfairly portrayed as an old person who can't do basic things on a computer, this is the same person who made promotional items for the motel that said, "Tweet us on FaceBook," so this all tracks. Stevie's helpful post it note reminder was hilariously simple.

I loved how supportive Johnny has been of Stevie wanting to figure out what she wants to do with her life. It's been really sweet to see him be so understanding and encouraging.

I'm so glad that Moira kept that gorgeous gold gown! She looked amazing in it. Even though the premiere didn't go quite as planned, the idea of releasing the crows was a great movie tie in. Alexis did a good job planning on such short notice.

I understood David's concern about Patrick saying things while loopy on pain meds, but I think you have to take those moments with a grain of salt too. Not everyone is revealing hidden desires when they're high. I really hope they don't have David change his mind about having a baby in the next few episodes. I don't understand why tv/movies insist that people need to have kids. I know lots of couples in long term relationships (as in decades) who are perfectly happy with their choice not to have children.

• Like 1
  • Love 19

I so hope they don't go the baby route for David and Patrick. David does.not.want.kids. Let's leave it that way. People have fulfilling lives all the time without them, but you'd rarely know that on tv shows. I hope this isn't one of them. I felt it was handled really nicely...David acknowledged his concern with Patrick's druggy baby ramblings, and Patrick assured him he was well aware of David's stance on kids and that it was okay with him. I believe him. I hope it ends there.

Druggy Patrick was hilarious. My significant other acted almost exactly like that when he had his wisdom teeth out: super affectionate, hungry, silly AF and extremely complimentary to me. He remembers none of it, but I do. And fortunately he did not suggest we have babies.

Loved the scenes with Stevie and Johnny, and was so pleased that they didn't prolong it, or that it wasn't some huge misunderstanding. Johnny really wanted her to come back, and she really wants to go back home. Sweet. Sometimes it really just is in your own back yard.

I kind of wish the premiere hadn't gone south too. Just run in and watch the film while the crows get corralled. But love that Moira got to wear her dress. I loved Alexis' dress from earlier in the day: https://wornontv.net/172458/

Great episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I so hope they don't go the baby route for David and Patrick. David does.not.want.kids. Let's leave it that way. People have fulfilling lives all the time without them, but you'd rarely know that on tv shows. I hope this isn't one of them. I felt it was handled really nicely...David acknowledged his concern with Patrick's druggy baby ramblings, and Patrick assured him he was well aware of David's stance on kids and that it was okay with him. I believe him. I hope it ends there.

My oh my, it's like people can't grow and change their opinions about things....like you know... they hated Schitt's Creek and now they like living there (except for Moira). So maybe it's not impossible for David to change his mind about the baby question. That is called growth.

• Love 2

For my money this was one of the funniest episodes ever. The whole "premier" thing was just hilariously wrong. I loved the news reporter at the end warning the audience that the footage might be graphic. Ronnie looked nice though.

I had to rewind this three times to get what Alexis was saying when she referred to Moira as a "twelve-time daytime Emmy award attending actress." Did Moira win twelve Emmys? Wait, no. Was she nominated twelve times? Wait, no. She attended the daytime Emmys twelve times. LOL. That's right up there with Alexis's "critically reviewed limited run reality series."

I called it back in season 4 and I still stand by it: Stevie will be Patrick and David's surrogate. 

Nah, that's way too much story to cram into what's left of this season, which will be the show's last. I think at most David will come around to being willing to consider adoption sometime down the road. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 2/5/2020 at 1:49 AM, Elbow said:

Did Dan Levy write those lines for Patrick about how "amazing" his own skin is?

This is not a comedy anymore.

Dan Levy didn't write this episode. But it is hardly a stretch to think that David would have a skin care regimen that would keep his skin soft. 

Hungry hippo Patrick was hysterical. And like others, I really hope that the show doesn't go in the direction of David changing his mind about children. Many couples choose not to have children (even when there is one partner who always thought they would have them) and are perfectly happy. I also know couples who had children and wished they hadn't. Not everyone IRL, or on TV, needs to have children to be happy. 

My fav line in the whole episode was Johnny saying that after Larry Air called him for a reference regarding Stevie, then asked if he was interested in becoming a pilot. It was just as funny as last week's line that Larry Air has 20 (I think it was) lawsuits against it, including one from Larry himself.

This episode was so funny, that by the end watching stoned David and Patrick reacting to the crows, I had tears from laughing so hard. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • LOL 5
  • Love 15
24 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Dan Levy didn't write this episode. But it is hardly a stretch to think that David would have a skin care regime that would keep his skin soft. 

Hungry hippo Patrick was hysterical. And like others, I really hope that the show doesn't go in the direction of David changing his mind about children. Many couples choose not to have children (even when there is one partner who always thought they would have them) and are perfectly happy. I also know couples who had children and wished they hadn't. Not everyone IRL, or on TV, needs to have children to be happy. 

My fav line in the whole episode was Johnny saying that after Larry Air called him for a reference regarding Stevie, then asked if he was interested in becoming a pilot. It was just as funny as last week's line that Larry Air has 20 (I think it was) lawsuits against it, including one from Larry himself.

This episode was so funny, that by the end watching stoned David and Patrick reacting to the crows, I had tears from laughing so hard. 

I haven't even cracked a smile at what's been onscreen this season. The first two years were absolutely hysterical. What they're doing now is not comedy. It's a 22 minute evening soap.

Edited by Elbow
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I had to rewind this three times to get what Alexis was saying when she referred to Moira as a "twelve-time daytime Emmy award attending actress." Did Moira win twelve Emmys? Wait, no. Was she nominated twelve times? Wait, no. She attended the daytime Emmys twelve times. LOL. That's right up there with Alexis's "critically reviewed limited run reality series."

Thank you for checking on this. I heard it as 12-time winning actress (I guess because that's the kind of thing we're used to hearing), which I thought conflicted with prior statements about her being the most anticipated potential nominee never to have been nominated (or something like that).

• Love 4

David deciding he wants children would be gross enough just for reinforcing the "childless people will eventually come around and realize they want kids deep-down" trope.

But it would also reinforce the equally gross idea that the dream future for every same-sex couple is to raise kids in a house with a picket fence, like a traditional straight couple.

There's obviously nothing wrong with same-sex couples choosing to do that, but that's not right for everyone - and I can't fathom that it would be right for David.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

According to Dan Levy's twitter, Moira's head piece was from Etsy - made of zip ties! She looked so beautiful - and that look on Johnny's face! 

And yeah, drugged hungry Patrick is hilarious!

Moira’s headpiece was made by the same artist who made her headpiece with the crowd earlier this season! The one for the premiere is only $40. Buy one here!

• Love 1

Like the majority of the content of this and the previous season, 'David having babies' is a subject that should be banished to romantic fan fiction, rather than actually scripted as yet another forced diversion from the comedic ensemble upon which this show is supposed to be focused.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I loved Alexis flirting/mugging with the TV cameras while Moira was giving her speech - I'd be curious to know whether it was Actor's Choice or Director's Instruction.  Little moments like that are what make this show a gem.  An undiscovered gem, IMO.

I think my favorite part of SC is the interplay between the characters - whether it's within the family or the between Rose's and the others.  Maybe I'm too easy on them (or I'm just nostalgic since I've liked Levy and O'Hara since SCTV and Elliott since Letterman and then Get A Life), but while I tend to be pretty critical about most of the shows that I follow, I have an element of fondness for this one. 

I'm going to miss it when it ends.  I rarely watch completed series over again, but I could see it happening with SC.  

• Like 1
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Moira’s headpiece was made by the same artist who made her headpiece with the crowd earlier this season! The one for the premiere is only $40. Buy one here!

I don't know what it says about me but I'm very sorely tempted.  Now do I wear it with my Helen, Sheila, or Ingrid wig? 😄

I would pay money to see Moira wear this one.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

OK, I'm throwing out my likely completely wrong theory from this episode:

Spoiler

Footage from the premiere goes viral causing the movie to go viral. Moira made some insane back-end deal that the producers had no problem with because they were sure the movie wasn't going to make much money. Moira makes a fortune as the movie becomes a must see blockbuster. 

12 hours ago, Blakeston said:

But it would also reinforce the equally gross idea that the dream future for any same-sex couples is to raise kids in a house with a picket fence, like a traditional straight couple.

There's obviously nothing wrong with same-sex couples choosing to do that, but that's not right for everyone - and I can't fathom that it would be right for David.

My husband and me are middle aged with absolutely no desire whatsoever to have children. Actually having children sounds like our personal nightmare in our perfectly organized and curated lives.

So no, we don't want kids, we are more than happy to meet up with our other childless couple friends on patios for cocktails on a Sunday afternoon and listen to the jealousy of our straight friends that wish they could do the same.

• Love 7

And even better that they had Twyla's Reneé Zellweger story in the same episode!

I mean, he spelled it a different way, but she's sure it was her brother.

I also got a kick out of Jocelyn and Twyla asking Moira if she was sure it would be okay that they hadn't seen the first two Crow movies. "It's best that way. This one blatantly contradicts a lot of what was established in the first two."

Blatantly. LOL.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I mean, he spelled it a different way, but she's sure it was her brother.

I also got a kick out of Jocelyn and Twyla asking Moira if she was sure it would be okay that they hadn't seen the first two Crow movies. "It's best that way. This one blatantly contradicts a lot of what was established in the first two."

Blatantly. LOL.

That line made me burst into laughter...Another classic Moira quote indeed!

• Love 2

The Crows Have Eyes looks amazing and I desperately want to watch every single movie in this series, and a Netflix show that follows them. Even if the third one blatantly contradicted the other two...

Looking fabulous Ronnie! Even with the inevitable hijinks, Alexis did a pretty good job at creating a whole premier after short notice and basically no budget and resources. 

I loved everything with Johnny and Stevie, they were so sweet, you could really feel how much they work together as partners, and its so nice to see how much Johnny wants to support Stevie, no matter what she decides to do. 

I dont think that they will throw a wrench into Patrick and David with Patrick wanting kids and David not, that just doesent seem like how they will end the show. I mean, Bridget Jones movies do weird things to a person...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I'd really like to believe that David and Patrick won't want kids, and this plotline was just a way for the writers to get them talking about their future.

But the way that Patrick flat-out chose not to answer the "are you harboring a secret desire for a child?" question makes me think they'll have one, or be expecting one, by the series' end. I don't any reason for the writers to include it otherwise.

• Love 1

Just a quick note to say this has been the best episode of the season so far for me. It's the first time I've enjoyed every story line.

Johnny and Stevie are such an unusual pair. Their strengths and weaknesses are offsetting in the best ways. Johnny isn't the perpetual awkward insider times 1,000. Moira and Stevie bring out the best in Johnny in different ways and for completely different reasons; I love it!

• Like 1
  • Love 8

In five years, when Patrick is sitting down to dinner with his second husband and the two adorable Vietnamese orphans they adopted, he'll remember fondly his first marriage to David but be eternally grateful he doesn't have to deal with the self-centered Rose insanity anymore.

I really don't feel the chemistry between David and Patrick (even as I'm a sucker for a gay love story). I thought there was more zing between Patrick and Mutt in the 15 seconds we saw of him than David and Patrick have had for several seasons.

I'm really tired of Stevie's tremulous voice, which sounds like she's going to burst into tears at any moment. It annoyed me when she's whining on about quitting "two" jobs, when she's the freaking co-owner of the motel. Johnny didn't buy her out, and then keep her on as the front desk help; she's his business partner. And speaking of businesses, if Johnny couldn't get the loan to buy the other motel, how did he become the co-owner of the Rosebud? I don't recall how that came about.

I'm sorry buying the new motel means more Roland because I can't stand Chris Elliott. How does he have a career? He looks like you don't want to stand too close to him because he has a stench about him. 

I was a little sorry that Moira's "premiere" didn't go off without a hitch. I want her to have a win. (I thought her speech to the director when they were making the movie was fantastic.)

• Love 3

I really don't feel the chemistry between David and Patrick (even as I'm a sucker for a gay love story). I thought there was more zing between Patrick and Mutt in the 15 seconds we saw of him than David and Patrick have had for several seasons.

If I'm being honest I don't see much chemistry between David and Patrick either. But dammit, Patrick is just so damn adorable I can't stand it. That scene with him all loopy on anesthesia was everything. He's a hungry hungry hippo! Someone make that man a lasagna!

When they first started working Patrick into the show, it seemed like he was more amused by David than anything else, the way he was subtly teasing him all the time. Since he'd been more or less closeted his whole life it's possible he just came to admire David for being so out there and unapologetically himself. But I'd hate to think he's confusing his admiration for love.

Speaking of Mutt, whatever the hell happened to him? Neither Roland nor Jocelyn ever mention him and he hasn't even visited to meet his new little brother as far as we know.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Mutt was in an episode of s4 which I think was after his brother was born?  But yeah they otherwise kind of forget he exists.  Especially the episode where Jocelyn and Roland wanted to find someone to care for the baby if anything happened to them, never once mentioning their adult son as an option (or not).

• Love 4
On 2/5/2020 at 8:24 PM, Blakeston said:

But it would also reinforce the equally gross idea that the dream future for every same-sex couple is to raise kids in a house with a picket fence, like a traditional straight couple.

They're basically already on this road with the way they're writing the wedding story-line. The whole thing feels like a very straight wedding that just happens to involve two men.

Johnny&Stevie, making me verklempt again...

Moira getting inspired by the Ornithology Today review was hilarious, and classic Moira. Alexis was a fabulous Hot Publicist in Charge, getting Ronnie and Roland moving on the last-minute premiere. Speaking of whom, I loved both their red (merlot) carpet outfits. And Moira looked stunning, of course! Poor Stevie, though, dressed as the chauffeur.

David has always been self aware enough to know that he is barely husband material. I can’t imagine he would ever go along with fatherhood. Remember just a few episodes ago when he took 7 showers after his own nighttime accident, and admitted he’d probably leave Patrick if he did the same? David is way too neurotic to deal with babies/kids and he knows it. Patrick has always seemed to get who David is, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/7/2020 at 5:57 PM, SmithW6079 said:

In five years, when Patrick is sitting down to dinner with his second husband and the two adorable Vietnamese orphans they adopted, he'll remember fondly his first marriage to David but be eternally grateful he doesn't have to deal with the self-centered Rose insanity anymore.

I really don't feel the chemistry between David and Patrick (even as I'm a sucker for a gay love story). I thought there was more zing between Patrick and Mutt in the 15 seconds we saw of him than David and Patrick have had for several seasons.

I'm really tired of Stevie's tremulous voice, which sounds like she's going to burst into tears at any moment. It annoyed me when she's whining on about quitting "two" jobs, when she's the freaking co-owner of the motel. Johnny didn't buy her out, and then keep her on as the front desk help; she's his business partner. And speaking of businesses, if Johnny couldn't get the loan to buy the other motel, how did he become the co-owner of the Rosebud? I don't recall how that came about.

I'm sorry buying the new motel means more Roland because I can't stand Chris Elliott. How does he have a career? He looks like you don't want to stand too close to him because he has a stench about him. 

I was a little sorry that Moira's "premiere" didn't go off without a hitch. I want her to have a win. (I thought her speech to the director when they were making the movie was fantastic.)

I agree...Stevie is very fortunate but everyone always seems to feel sorry for her. She has a pretty good life.