Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Run, Ali, Run

(edited)

So A knows everything about everyone, has unlimited funds and resources, can blow up houses, drive cars through people's houses, and be in 47 places at once without ever being dected yet they don't know the names of Bethany Young's parents? I laughed at the A-tag because of the card on that floral arrangement: To Bethany Young's parents. Like not even to The Youngs or Mr. and Mrs. Young. I wonder if we are going to see that same floral arrangement in Ali's living room sometime soon. I mean I'm assuming Bethany is a DiLuarentis because otherwise, why would she hate Jessica so much?

Emily is working my last nerve. Why was she yelling at Hanna for making changes to her hair and clothes? She should be asking her if she is ok. And why is she surprised that Hanna wants Ali gone? 

Edited by crazycatchick
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ok so this was probably my least favorite episode this season.  Not sure if that is because I am starting to get tired of everyone's current story lines or if it had something to do with losing power at my house and not being able to watch PLL until one in the morning.

I like that Caleb was at the hospital with Toby and his family.  Toby is actually bearable when he is with Caleb.  Hopefully we get to see them together.

As for Ezria, I still can't.  I almost like reporter Ezra.  If they had introduced that aspect of his character without all the lying and stalking stuff, I might have actually liked something about the character, but instead it just reminds me what a creep he is.  Also Aria mentioned her and Ezra slipped, then corrected it to two slips.  Ewww.  Any other couple I would have cheered, these girls deserve to at least get laid if the rest of their lives is going to suck so bad.  But its Ezria, so just ewww.  Another thing, why were they trying to hide their relationship from Tanner, doesn't everyone, including the school principal, know about their past relationship, like as in when Aria was a minor?  What more is there to hide?  Last, Ezra still has his security (stalker) cameras.  That's like Spencer still carrying around a prescription for StudyAid.  It's kinda a read flag his apology is crap, at least it would be anywhere other the magical town of Rosewood.  At least Spencer tried to call Aria out.  I am sure that was a one time thing.

Also I wasn't the biggest fan of Hanna's storyline last night.  Don't get me wrong, I like Alison and Hanna scenes, but I feel like they could be a little more subtle with her character development.  I get that she doesn't want Alison around and it brings up all kinds of insecurities for her, but Hanna literal packed Ali a bag.  The only way they could have made Hanna's thought process more obvious was if Hanna strapped Ali to a rocketed and pressed launch.  It didn't help they felt the need to have Hanna explain to Caleb that she wanted Ali to leave.  Caleb might not watch the rest of the show but we do.  At least Hanna is wearing more or less normal clothes.

Then were was Paige's scene with the rat.  What was with that scream?  It was edited like something on a Nickelodeon comedy.  Not to mention the fact they really don't know what to do with Paige's character at the moment.  Paige used to be really angry, but with Emily's help she worked through her issues and she ended being a caring if overprotective girlfriend.  The only problem is Emily is currently Ali's overprotective girlfriend.  So they can't have Paige be protective and they don't want to have her revert to being angry all the time, so Paige is basically a second tier Liar, none of the interesting story lines of the real Liars and none of moral ambiguity of enemies and A suspects.

I admit that I ship Emily/Ali, even if they are a toxic relationship, so I am willing to put up with a few more episodes of Emily not thinking with her head.  That being said I still hated half the scenes with those two were in this week.  I get that they want to show Emily being protective, but this show really doesn't do fight scenes well.  They should just stick to suspense, which they're decent at, or they should find someone who can direct a believable fight.  Also was I the only one who thought the scene where Alison sleeps over was weird?  I'm assuming Emily was up all night because she has a million things on her mind, her feelings for Ali, the fact that A is back, how she is being a crappy friend to everyone else, ect.  That being said, I still think its weird Emily spent the whole night watching Ali sleep and wouldn't her moving around wake Ali up.  It just seemed like a really awkward scene, and that there should be a better way to convey everything in that scene.

Spencer was really good this episode, though I am not invested in her story line at the moment, mainly because its going to be a few more weeks before anything comes to a head in her family drama.  Also I don't get what's up with Spencer's dad.  His wife and daughter think he killed someone, and they seem to have at least decent evidence to back it up.  He should seriously just tell them the truth, whatever that is, before Spencer has another mental break down and tells everyone her dad killed Mrs. D.

Last, Aria (the two minutes she wasn't with Ezra) I actually liked this week.  She hugged Ali, after she was almost killed.  Aria actually thinking about someone else (not counting Ezra) I consider major character growth.  Also her getting a job at Radley is awesome because that means she is going to relevant to the plot and she will be away from Ezra.  Though I agree, I don't know how she was accepted, after all the trouble the Liars have been in.

Edited by superman1204
  • Love 1

So really, a place like Radley is taking high school volunteers, and puts them in direct contact with unstable patients?  I'm all for the sanitarium plot return, but the this is the least impressive way we've gotten inside of Radley yet.  But I agree, it's nice that Aria will have something to do besides her high school teacher.  This week I was reminded how underwhelmed I am by the Montgomery parenting system, which is to leave your troubled teenage son and daughter entirely alone with no adult supervision whatsoever after they break into houses and have inappropriate affairs.  It's no wonder she has returned to Ezra--girl needs some daddy love from somewhere.  At least she told him she thought it was weird that he still had security cameras up in his hall.  Because, it does remain creepy.  But Aria, WTF with offering up your attic to store Ezra's research on Ali/A, and Ezra saying, and I quote, "Good idea"?  You must be wanting to leave a solid paper trail between yourself and Shana, and probably a half dozen other serious crimes in Rosewood.  

Props to Spencer for busting Aria's chops about screwing Ezra.  I loved that she did it over school lunch.  

I'm not one to have a lot of faith in the Rosewood PD, but A's escalated aggression can't continue too much more without the girls telling the police what's going on.  Caleb was the only one talking sense in this department.  I was pleased to see Lieutenant Tanner on the trail this week, and am eager to see Detective Hottie Hollbrook again.  Rosewood PD is plenty shady and slow, but I do like those two. They seem pretty sharp to me, and I loved Tanner making Ezra squirm, worrying if she knows he's got inappropriate and elaborate relationships with teenage girls and is withholding information about a number of crimes.  I want to have faith this detecting duo will figure out what's going on, and I want them to be trustworthy and have integrity because, well, I need some adults in this town to have some.  

Agree that costuming was pretty ridunculous this week.  I did like Hannah's J'aime shirt.  It distracted me from her hair and was a cute nod to her love triangle.  But the black beanie multiplied, Ali looked like a 1950s matron even before she put the scarf on, and what was with Emily's bra hanging all out in her muscle shirt?  Poor Spencer.  Aria may get the craziest outfits most times, but Spencer repeatedly gets the dorkiest. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Spencer looked like a preschooler in that overall jumper thing, knee socks, and the beanie. However, I did also love when she called aria out for Ezra. 

I guess A's snapchatting them now (Content Deleted??). 

Edited by hqtextbook

I just cannot with Aria and Ezra anymore. UGH. Whatever. I did fist pump the air when Spencer called Aria out over reconnecting with Ezra. Spencer's family is imploding and yet she still finds the time to be the rational one re: Aria/Ezra.

Ya know, I actually got the warm fuzzies when it was mentioned that Caleb was with Toby at the hospital. I LOVED those two when they teamed up to smoke out one of the other A's in a previous season and I love how they're still bro's. As for the upcoming Caleb vs Ali, bitch please, Team Caleb all the way. If he could flick Mona aside after choosing Hanna over continuing to work for/with Mona, I'm sure he can handle Ali. 

Emily's continued devotion to Ali is quite annoying but as others have already posted, Ali was her big unrequited love who finally decided to return Emily's feelings for her. Having said that I still believe that Ali is using Emily, she's using all the PLLs still, just as she always has and always will. My hope for the Emily/Ali relationship is that Ali fucks something up in such a massive way that Emily's eyes open, she realizes what Ali has done/has been doing, and cuts the cord for good. 

Paige should have kept her damn mouth shut and insisted, if she felt the need to tell Emily who is in Mona's Losers Club at all, to meet in PRIVATE instead of spilling at the damn school, we all know Mona exists on a plane far above ours where she is everyone and everywhere and hears and knows everything, you just know something is going to happen to her. 

And where the fuck is Noel Kahn?? (crosses arms and glares, Spencer-style)

• Love 1
(edited)

Emily annoyed the frick out of me the entire episode. She was so annoying, but I will get to that in a second.

I thought it was significant when Spencer said: I think A took a nap and woke up tonight... Watch how the camera immediately pans to Ali after she utters the last word. I found that subtle but obvious at the same time.

I found it great how Caleb was there for Toby at the hospital. Those two had a friendship before Caleb left so it's nice to see continuity and how they'd naturally pick up the friendship again.

I like Ezra as a reporter... the guy's intelligent and just seems made for figuring this kind of stuff out. However, Spencer asking Aria if she forgot what Ezra did to her or them as a whole was profound and necessary. Like Spencer said, he deceived her for years and taking a bullet doesn't mean she can just forget about that. I like that they are not sweeping what he did under the rug completely. I am glad it's being addressed.

Also... in the Pretty Little Liars books, Alison has a twin named... CourtNEY... and then there's BethaNY.

Hmm... Mrs. D worked in and around Radley... Peter wanted Toby to settle his mother's investigation in a quick manner via getting money over a long investigation at Radley.

Hmmm about both... could it be that Mrs. D altered the name and even DOB of "Bethany" and that's really her child? Could Peter have fathered both Alison and her twin and that's why he had endless conversations with Mrs. D that were secretive along with why he didn't want Toby's family sneaking around Radley trying to investigate?

Emily SUCKED so much getting those names out of Paige. What is wrong with her? She has absolutely no regard for Paige's feelings right now. She couldn't care less about Paige and her well being at the moment, she just wants to pump her for information in order to help Ali.

So of course Paige gives her the names and then a "rat" ends up in her locker for ratting out Mona and her Army. Way to go, Emily, now you have A or someone within Mona's Army pissed at Paige, you complete moron.

I want Paige to get far, far away from Emily right now. I love how it seems as if Paige wants to stay out of it. I hope she continues to stay away. At this point, I think Paige is way too good for Emily and want them apart. Emily will have to get on her hands and knees and beg for forgiveness in the future should she want to get back together with Paige. She owes Paige so damn much. Screw you, Emily.

I cannot blame Hanna for wanting to push Ali out of town. Hanna was right for wanting to get her out of town. Emily was a witch for, once again, stupidly defending Ali and coming down on Hanna like that. Whether Hanna had personal motivation to want Ali gone, who cares, Hanna has every right not trusting or wanting Ali around. Emily getting on Hanna is sickening. Man, Emily sucks right now.

Every Hanna and Caleb scene I loved! Caleb is so awesome. The guy knows what's going on. He's obviously very screwed up from what happened during his time in Ravenswood yet he's still making sense as usual when it comes to A and the situation in Rosewood. Listen to him, Hanna, and get back together with him while you're at it!

I love Travis, I do, but he cannot compete with the Hanna/Caleb connection. I think Travis knows it too. It's sad but it's true.

I love Eddie and he rocks for leaving that picture of Mrs. D outside of Ezra's door. Though I laughed out loud when Ezra's all... "Hey I have my security cameras still up!" It might be a good idea, Ezra, not to shout that out happily in front of Aria if you have any chance of getting her back with full forgiveness.

Hastings family break up is sad but necessary. I am convinced Peter is the father of Ali and probably her twin.

Love the twist with Aria volunteering at Radley. It keeps her less consumed with Ezra and involved directly in the mystery. Win/win!

I thought the scene between Tanner and Ezra was fun, it was so psychological, such a cat and mouse game. Between Tanner and Hollbrook, I think they're both smart enough to figure things out. Tanner already knows Ezra's not revealing stuff. I think the detectives would even give the girls the benefit of the doubt too if they'd only open up their mouths and allow them to help.

Good episode, minus wanting Emily hit by a truck in this one.

Edited by Mich1111
  • Love 2
(edited)
This A is not very subtle.  First blowing up a house; now a rat in a locker.

The rat must have been Mona's club. Though I guess A could be in it.

While it's nice to see that the current A is Black Widow (well, at least for now), wearing that veil only draws more attention to the wearer, and this is a murder victim, so why would anyone want that? So IMO it makes no sense except as a wink to the camera (the audience can't see the face of A, duh - which makes the whole tag cheap) or if she has an in-show recognizable face (say, a twin).

The fact that Radley would not cooperate with a murder investigation of a former patient is ludicrous. Even if they are hiding more shenanigans, what exactly is their game plan here? I mean the scene Spencer saw with the detective, not the fact that Eddie didn't give her any info. Speaking of Eddie, leaving that drawing on Ezra's door step is both a pathetic attempt to bring Ezra into the plot, and also not very helpful. Meant to indicate Ezra should investigate into it? Investigate how if the point is that no one is talking?

I found the episode pretty bad: the dialogues were uninspired and often too expository in the silliest way possible, Hanna's sending off of Ali had all the subtlety of an enraged bull, Ali herself was a scared little girl, lost about 40 IQ points (Did she really believe Shana was A? I cannot fuckin' believe that!) and IMO there were very few scenes that gave Sasha something good to work with (*), the rat scene... you guys already covered it...  Just a lot of things, large and small, that were mediocre.

The good thing about it was Troian, who was amazing. Show. give Spencer all story lines, because I wanna see more of Troian's range. Also, Spencer was actually a teenager in this episode, which is always nice.

(*) ETA:

I thought it was significant when Spencer said: I think A took a nap and woke up tonight... Watch how the camera immediately pans to Ali after she utters the last word. I found that subtle but obvious at the same time.

I didn't get into this because my post was already long, but I did think of the scene you mentioned when I typed that. Sasha's reaction was awesome there, but the script itself hammered in that Ali was clueless, and there were no other hints that Ali was playing them. I'm wary of reading too much into Sasha's acting choices because they give me (false) hope the show won't go for what it seems to be building.

Edited by Crim
(edited)

I like that Caleb was at the hospital with Toby and his family. Toby is actually bearable when he is with Caleb. Hopefully we get to see them together.

Ha, in addition Toby is much more bearable when he's not actually onscreen. I'd forgotten how nice it was when he was Out of Town!

I have my security cameras still up!" It might be a good idea, Ezra, not to shout that out happily in front of Aria if you have any chance of getting her back with full forgiveness.

It totally cracked me up that he acted like it was SO GREAT that he never took down his Sliver-esque network of creepy spy cameras to one of the girls he has been spying on. "I knew that leaving them up and running would prove to be such a great benefit that Aria will forget that their original purpose was to spy on her and her friends! Jackpot!"

Since we know that Radley has cameras (and presumably that A is accessing them because DUH, it's A), how long before A has incriminating video of Aria holding a shovel at Radley or something equally criminal?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
(edited)
Since we know that Radley has cameras (and presumably that A is accessing them because DUH, it's A), how long before A has incriminating video of Aria holding a shovel at Radley or something equally criminal?

Hopefully by next episode. I need Aria to stress over something other than killing Shana, because she is being increasingly ridiculous about it. It also leads to Ezria sex, which just no.

Speaking of incriminating footage of Aria, Shana was killed at Ezra's family's theater, so there might indeed be footage of that. Maybe it runs in the family.

Random thought: Ali's "We will just sleep. I promise." was the line that made me laugh most this episode. Not that it was ridiculous, but because of what it means that it was said between those 2 people, with their history. Every Ali/Emily scene is worth the time because of how fraught it is. I thought the same about Hanna's scenes with Ali, but the show ruined that this episode with the obnoxious obviousness.

Edited by Crim

Aria is so paranoid now that I can totally picture her daily Radley report to Spencer going something like this:

Aria: There is something SUPER CREEPY going on at Radley! We need to do something! Once a day, the doctors give drugs to the patients! They don't even try to hide it!

Spencer: Yes, Aria. Some of the patients are on medication. The staff distributes the drugs once a day.

Aria: No, there's more to it than that! I know it! And one kid keeps playing the same song on the piano every afternoon during free time. I know it must be a message about Bethany! I just need to figure out what he's trying to tell me!

How long before Wren comes back from Out of Town and shows up at Radley? First of all there is no reason for him to stay in London of Melissa is back in Rosewood. Secondly the show thinks we need Wren to be the "adult" at Radley. I know that technically he's an adult, not some Doogie Howser teenage genius, but it was kind of hilarious that one of the only people we saw Spencer interact with during her stay was Wren.

(edited)

Goodness gracious, Emily is becoming dumber with each passing minute. Why on Earth is she assuming that A must be a member of Mona's "army"? And even if he/she were a member, how is she going to uncover him/her among all those people in that group? Last season she was livid when Paige thought Alison would be safer (or at least in as much danger as before) if the police knew she was alive, now she thinks Alison running away isn't going to help. 

And of course, neither the police, nor any parents are concerned in the slightest that the bunch of friends who are embroiled in like 49 police investigations just happened to be near the "gas leak"? Okay, show, that's plausible.

I actually mistook Caleb for Ezra at some point because of his new haircut.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe

Right before Hanna told Ali she was going to help her run, I was sure she would suggest they run together. It's not that I don't believe they all don't really want her to be back (minus Emily right now), it's just that I don't understand how they can just see Toby's house blow up and don't expect the same to happen to theirs at any minute if they continue to don't say anything or just stay put in that town. I know they've been dealing with that crap for years now and that A has threatened them if they ran or moved to another town, but even then, I just got the feeling Hanna would suggest it at the time and then A would stop them somehow.

I cracked that Emily spent the whole night awake to the sound of the lyrics "i'm a fool for you" or something like that. The soundtrack people attack again. I don't know what song that was to say that it was as perfect as "Every breath you Take" from last week and I realize that saying you're a fool for someone is normal in a love song, but I laughed anyway. The same lyrics repeated over and over. Poor girl.

• Love 1

Love the twist with Aria volunteering at Radley. It keeps her less consumed with Ezra and involved directly in the mystery. Win/win!

Unless Ezra ends up in Radley, all those beds for them to have sex in.

Goodness gracious, Emily is becoming dumber with each passing minute. Why on Earth is she assuming that A must be a member of Mona's "army"? And even if he/she were a member, how is she going to uncover him/her among all those people in that group? Last season she was livid when Paige thought Alison would be safer (or at least in as much danger as before) if the police knew she was alive, now she thinks Alison running away isn't going to help.

Emily is just annoyingly brain dead and then her snapping at Hanna over poor Ali only makes her even worse.

(edited)

Ali's clothes are worse than Aria's. I'll just leave it at that. Emily is actually the only liar that is consistently dressed well. (Even the bra thing is at least popular now.) 

I'm surprised at people being upset about Emily asking Paige for names. First of all, A is still after all of the liars, and Paige dangled "group of people who are going to attack Ali" in front of Emily. Paige should have given names. Ali was horrible to Paige, but people forget that this story started with Paige physically intimidating Ali. (She had bruises and such.) And Ali looked as if she was actually afraid of Paige. So, Paige does not get to be just the victim here. 

But regardless, Paige knows that there has been someone who has been harassing the liars. She knows that someone tried to KILL Emily..and she hasn't told Emily this information. Do I think Lucas is a killer? No. But Melissa may be. If Paige actually cared about Ali instead of being selfish and not wanting to lose Emily (like Emily was Paige's belonging) than she wouldn't have behaved in the same ways as she has in the past season and a half. (Telling the cops, demanding Emily behave in a certain way, not giving names.) 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 1
(edited)

And where the fuck is Noel Kahn?? (crosses arms and glares, Spencer-style)

PLL needs more Noel Kahn. That boy is fine. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 4

(Telling the cops, demanding Emily behave in a certain way, not giving names.)

Let's continue living in fear while A blows up a house, crashes a car through a living room, and more people die while they keep getting harassed.

Keeping secrets has not helped them out at all, they're just making a bigger mess out of things.

At that point, Ali was trying to limit the people who knew she was alive. Telling the cops would obviously hurt that.

Not only that, but it was obvious that Paige did that for selfish reasons. 

That being said, it seems like Ali has the unique ability to bring out the absolute worst in people. 

(edited)

Marlene thinks Ezra getting shot is some big redemption. I still hate him, and I always will. It's downright creepy what he did! Did I mention that he attacked Spencer in Ravenswood? Ian Harding himself said that he was the gas mask dude who fought w/ Spencer.

Hey, can I set cameras up in your house, stalk you and your best friends, and write a book about your lives because I love you and want to protect you?

I was actually surprised Spencer spoke up against Ezria and brought up all the lying Ezra did. Right there it was a heck more than we got as fallout for TobiAs.

Anyone else got motherfucking chills when Veronica Hastings said the reason she was leaving Papa Hastings was because of all his lies over the years and she was done giving him chances? It's stuff like this that makes me hope against hope that these writers in fact know exactly what they're doing. There's no way that parallel to Ezria was unnitentional and I'll stretch it even to Spoby given Toby sure told his fair share of lies and he was suspiciously absent when the girls got the A text. 

I just want Veronica to shake these girls and snap them out of their delusions. Seriously, Aria, if you need to hide when the police shows up at your boyfriend's apartment then maybe it's time to rethink your life and your choices. That whole scene with Ezra and Roma Maffia was both incredibly gross and incredibly awesome. Props to both actors because they played it perfectly. Probably my favorite scene in an otherwise flat episode.

I did laugh at the show's little slip when Spencer was reminding Aria of Ezra's stalker actions.  She specifically mentioned that it had been YEARS that he'd been stalking them in the name of "research".  Sorry, show, that just confirmed that Aria was indeed a young teenager when Ezra, who has also been confirmed as solidly in his twenties (and therefore not 19 or something like some of their fans have tried to claim).  It also confirmed that Ali was an even younger teenager when she dated him, since she preceded Aria.  Try as you might, show, you can't get around the fact that Ezra's a pederast.  The most boring one who ever lived, yes, but a pederast all the same.

Did my ears deceive me or Aria actually mentioned as one of the reasons she couldn't get back with Ezra was how they met? You know, when he decided it was perfectly acceptable to hook up with a sixteen year old in a bathroom bar all in the name of research for his book?

Toby has always been a better boyfriend to Caleb than to Spencer. Caleb should have to do the comforting stuff.

I like that Caleb was at the hospital with Toby and his family.  Toby is actually bearable when he is with Caleb.  Hopefully we get to see them together.

ITA!

Haha, so Hanna passed the black beanie of sadness to Spencer? That beige jumper made her look like either a street urchin or a lunch lady. Then there was Ali's powder blue blazer. Was she going on a job interview? Add to the weird wardrobe this week Emily's blue and black faux varsity jacket. Seriously, who the hell dressed the girls this week?

I dug Ali's yellow scarf because that used to be her trademark colour, so of course someone tried to kill her with it. No wonder she's been trying to rock the powder blue, with the ugly blazer (I hate when these girls dress like 25 year olds, HATE!) and the ugly hand bag. I usually don't pay much attention to Emily's fashion so I can't comment on that but Hanna looked horrendous, mother of God!

I'm basically sold at this point that Mona turning Hanna into Ali's clone was the best thing that ever happened to her and I really don't think I'm supposed to be thinking this, but Mona needs to make a return pronto and fix Hanna.

The lame "special effects" when Paige found the rat and screamed were so cheesy

I loved that scene! They made it look like a scene one of those (cheesy) B-horror movies and the cut to Ali walking in the dark was.one of the very few things I really dug about this episode.

Ok so this was probably my least favorite episode this season.  Not sure if that is because I am starting to get tired of everyone's current story lines or if it had something to do with losing power at my house and not being able to watch PLL until one in the morning.

I've been loving this season and I thought this episode was flat as hell. I believe it was setting up some important stuff for the future and the director tried to elevate it as best as they could, but the writer really dropped the ball, imo. Most scenes felt, to me, pretty superficial and uninspired save for the one between Ezra and the detective and the Hanna/Emily fight (HANNILY FOR ENDGAME!!). 

Also I wasn't the biggest fan of Hanna's storyline last night.  Don't get me wrong, I like Alison and Hanna scenes, but I feel like they could be a little more subtle with her character development.  I get that she doesn't want Alison around and it brings up all kinds of insecurities for her, but Hanna literal packed Ali a bag.  The only way they could have made Hanna's thought process more obvious was if Hanna strapped Ali to a rocketed and pressed launch.  It didn't help they felt the need to have Hanna explain to Caleb that she wanted Ali to leave.

I admit that I ship Emily/Ali, even if they are a toxic relationship, so I am willing to put up with a few more episodes of Emily not thinking with her head.  That being said I still hated half the scenes with those two were in this week.

That's exactly how I feel!! PLL is usually so good at keeping stuff fresh, the themes clear and the girls complex so I really don't know what happened last night. To quote Caroline Forbes, it was kiddie pool deep.

I was personally pretty surprised the girls and Ali stuck together after last week. They seemed so incredibly pissed at learning she lied I thought they'd take the opportunity to cut the cord with her right then and there. But I guess the explosion and A's return really shook them up and the timing couldn't have been worst for them to split up. Also, Mona having edited the vid to make Ali look terrible and her to look like a victim less a reach and more like basic logic. Still, I wish there had been more tension. That's what this episode was missing for me: tension, all around.

That being said, I still think its weird Emily spent the whole night watching Ali sleep and wouldn't her moving around wake Ali up.  It just seemed like a really awkward scene, and that there should be a better way to convey everything in that scene.

I didn't have that much a problem with it myself, but I was confused about what it was supposed to convey, especially with that song choice. Was Emily just finally realizing she's still hopelessly in love with Ali? Is that supposed to be a sad thing, a good thing? I thought it was doubly weird that Emily might be supposedly thinking herself to be a fool for loving Ali when Ali clearly offered the "just to sleep" thing when Emily started to twitch like crazy so it's not like Ali implied in any shape or form that the night they spent together was a one time thing. So maybe it wasn't supposed be a sad thing...uhg...i'm confused.

ETA: I just did a quick search for the writer of this episode, Jonell Lennon, and she hasn't written that many episodes (it's her first one in S5) and most of them, if I'm not mistaken, have suffered from having a weird tone, although the one she wrote with MK, in season 1, was pretty damn good in many ways. And she also wrote the ultimate Jason/Aria episode so that gives her points in my books so maybe she was just having an off day.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1
(edited)

How long before Wren comes back from Out of Town and shows up at Radley?

PLL needs more Noel Kahn. That boy is fine.

Yes, please.  Wren is totally a creep because he, like most adult males in Rosewood, is into teenage girls.  But he was one of our first important links to getting inside Radley, and he makes a great mysterious bad guy.  Getting handsy with Spencer, deceitful phone calls about Mrs. Hastings, allegedly getting back together with Melissa in London...this dude is a crucial link between the Hastings clan, Radley, and the DiLaurentis crew.  So bring him back!  And Noel.  What can I say?  He's hot, and got a bad boy vibe, but he risks his neck for others (even if it is Ali).  He surely can give us more clues, as he's clearly involved big time.  He's one of Ali's trusted minions, and he dated Mona and Jenna, and somehow was involved in hiding Maya, who ended up dead.  Is he a good guy or a bad one?  And can he take off his shirt?  I'd love to see Noel become a triangle figure who wedges between Spencer and Toby.  I'm tired of Spoby, but love Spencer, and I bet she would have awesome sparks with hottie Noel Kahn while playing detective and finding us some answers.

Edited by M1977G
(edited)
That whole scene with Ezra and Roma Maffia was both incredibly gross and incredibly awesome.

Agreed.  I also liked her scene with Ali and Hanna.  I initially thought it was silly of her to tell Ali that they wanted specifics about where exactly they were in Philadelphia,  because it'd give Ali time to concoct her story and pass it along to the rest of the PLLs.  Then I realized Tanner was doing that intentionally, because she's confident that no matter what lies Ali comes up with, she'll be able to get through them to the truth, since unlike Rosewood PD, she's actually competent at her job.

ETA:  Is Bethany the "blond girl" that Dr. Senile warned Toby's mom to stay away from in Radley?

Edited by mac123x

Is Bethany the "blond girl" that Dr. Senile warned Toby's mom to stay away from in Radley?

I was assuming it was Ali, but it could have been Bethany. But I really, really hope we don't get bogged down in another Toby's mother storyline. That was sooo boring, imo.

I'm surprised at people being upset about Emily asking Paige for names. First of all, A is still after all of the liars, and Paige dangled "group of people who are going to attack Ali" in front of Emily. Paige should have given names.

You really think that the omnipotent evil mastermind would bother becoming a member of that group of losers? Why would A do that? And even if he/she is a member, how would Emily find out who of all this people is A?

Ali was horrible to Paige, but people forget that this story started with Paige physically intimidating Ali. (She had bruises and such.) And Ali looked as if she was actually afraid of Paige. So, Paige does not get to be just the victim here.

It's very much possible that Paige kicked Alison accidentally. And even if she didn't, one would think it would be a piece of cake for Alison to contrive a reason to be excused from PE, so I don't really buy that was scared of Paige. It's not like she needs a sane person's reason to do horrible things to basically everyone she meets.

(edited)

We saw Paige try and drown Emily. Spencer mentioned the nickname she had on the field that suggested she was...physically imposing. And not only that, but Sasha chose to play this interaction like she was intimidated by Paige. It wasn't like how she chose to portray her behavior towards Lucas or Mona. #irony. 

I think Melissa could be A. And seeing as Paige knew (and stayed in the circle to listen too Melissa) that Melissa was involved, that name should have at least been brought up. Not only that, but one A is already a part of "that band of losers." Do I really think black widow is a part of that group? No (I expect Melissa to continue to be a red herring, although we are running out of people..) But it's a logical place for the characters to start. Paige knew that. She knows someone is actually trying to hurt Ali and the rest of the girls (not bully, kill) and yet, she couldn't get over her hate enough to tell Emily. 

I just get the sense that Paige wants Emily all to herself so much that she'll even go to the extent of putting Ali in danger to get Emily. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 2

I was assuming it was Ali, but it could have been Bethany. But I really, really hope we don't get bogged down in another Toby's mother storyline. That was sooo boring, imo.

Yeah, I don't want another round of Toby's wooden angsting about his mother either, but it would at least make last season's seemingly pointless diversion into something relevant to the main plot (such as it is). 

I could see it going down like this:

1.  Bethany struggled on the roof with Mrs. Cavanaugh because of... reasons... and Mrs. C fell to her death

2.  To protect Radley's reputation, Mrs. DiLaurentis (and the rest of the board) covered it up and kept Bethany locked up so she wouldn't tell the truth.

3.  Bethany hated Mrs. D, hence the unflattering picture.  (I loved that bit of dialog.  "Doesn't seem like she liked Mrs. D very much."  "What gave you the clue, the spear or the demon?")

4.  Bethany broke out and went to the DiLaurentis house the night Ali disappeared and got killed and buried.

Maybe Black Widow planned it, broke Bethany out and killed and buried her in order to somehow frame the DiLaurentis's for it.  Who knows why.  BW's plan went south when Alison disappeared, because a) the police focused on that and b) Mrs. D had the gazebo foundation poured promptly to cover up where she thought Ali was buried, inadvertently covering up Bethany.

The tedious "Toby Seeks Answers" plot from last season was BW trying to lead him down the trail of finding out who Bethany was and what her connection to the DiLaurentis's was.  That flopped also, so now BW is on Plan C, getting Ezra to figure it out.

That's an interesting theory, but what about Ali's death? It make sense too, because from the beginning, A seemed to have been tormenting the liars, and trying to help them solve mysteries. (And trying to frame them, repeatedly.) 

Who tried to kill her? If BW's goal was to frame the DiLaurantis for murder, than Ali wasn't part of the plan. But we know someone tried to kill Ali, and someone is still behaving in a lethal way towards her and the four liars. 

Then I realized Tanner was doing that intentionally, because she's confident that no matter what lies Ali comes up with, she'll be able to get through them to the truth, since unlike Rosewood PD, she's actually competent at her job.

Tanner reminds me of the detective in "Dial M for Murder."  Norbuck (Norman Buckley, who directed the last couple of eps) tweeted about that Hitchcock film recently so I wonder if she was being directed that way.  If only PLL plots made as much sense as Hitch's films.

What made no sense to me was to WHY she was inquiring about Shana.  Yeah, she was a resident of Rosewood, but she didn't die there, so where's her jurisdiction?   But I enjoy seeing Ezra and Ali squirm so it's okay.

(edited)

But it's a logical place for the characters to startWe saw Paige try and drown Emily.

I wish people would stop saying that (see the characters and relationship thread as to why). Suffice to say I don't think drown is the right the word to describe the situation.

And playing rough in PE doesn't necessarily make one a bully would scare people. Especially people like Alison. In my head canon there must be a field hockey penalty named after Spencer too (and I have been dreaming of a field hockey episode with Paige and Spencer for years).

But it's a logical place for the characters to start

Start what exactly? It's not like Emily can join that club and investigate. Hell, I doubt Paige knows half the names of the people in that stupid "army" anyway. The whole thing is stupid on so many levels. Mona being in charge is precisely the reason why Mona's puppet-master, namely A+, whoever he/she is, has no reason to actually join.

I just get the sense that Paige wants Emily all to herself so much that she'll even go to the extent of putting Ali in danger to get Emily.

So what if she did? Does she owe Alison anything? And Paige has a very good reason to believe that Alison is the only reason A ever bother with Emily in the first place. "I am paralyzed with not caring too much" is a totally natural reaction when you are asked to help someone who almost drove to suicide. And, of course, Emily's insistence that the police cannot help Alison is hardly going to convince Paige that Emily is being rational about the whole thing. I mean, Alison stopped hiding and has not yet been murdered, I would imagine Paige must be thinking she was right to inform the cops, even if it were largely for selfish reasons.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe

I really hope Ali's playing all of them, that's what made her interesting. I don't like this new weepy Ali.

EXACTLY!! This is the problem I have. This show is just not as interesting with Ali being alive and involved in everything like she is. I much preferred the aura of mystery that always surrounded her and the possibilty that she was A all along. 

Can they kill her off again please?

What is Rosewood doing without Wren, their Doctor of everything? 

I think what makes Jenna and Noel so interesting is we don't see that often and when we do our only thought is what are the up too. 

They said Mona's team want to run Alison out of town and A wants to keep her in town. So does that mean Mona's team can't be A? But I suppose someone on Team Shady wants Alison to stick around. 

I think what makes Jenna and Noel so interesting is we don't see that often and when we do our only thought is what are the up too.

Yup, and Melissa. And Alison, before she came back as this saddest little victim version.

• Love 1

To me Ali always seems to be putting on an act, she wanted people to notice what she was doing and how she was reacting. That's the way I see Sasha playing her too, if you watch her face when people are watching her and when they turn their heads she has a slight expression change that looks to almost be a smile. 

Alison tells so many stories/lies so often that she believes them to be true. Like she told PedoFitz at his family's theater "If you can't convince yourself how is anyone else going to believe you"

I think the only time we can trust Alison is when she's alone and there is no one watching. Even then I'm not sure because she knows A is watching. Do I believe she's scared, yes. She hurt so many people over the years and they all want revenge. She should be scared. 

• Love 2

1.  Bethany struggled on the roof with Mrs. Cavanaugh because of... reasons... and Mrs. C fell to her death

2.  To protect Radley's reputation, Mrs. DiLaurentis (and the rest of the board) covered it up and kept Bethany locked up so she wouldn't tell the truth.

3.  Bethany hated Mrs. D, hence the unflattering picture.  (I loved that bit of dialog.  "Doesn't seem like she liked Mrs. D very much."  "What gave you the clue, the spear or the demon?")

4.  Bethany broke out and went to the DiLaurentis house the night Ali disappeared and got killed and buried.

There is also the possibility that Bethany drew the picture to represent a threat in Jessica's life-like Peter Hastings?  Perhaps Bethany was trying to protect Jessica and got murdered by Peter.  And Melissa.  And Jason.  And Garrett.  

• Love 3

I've been thinking, Caleb is always the voice of reason about A because he's the one A least likely tried to hurt. Yeah Mona had got his mom in a car accident but real A really didn't do anything to Caleb. Not to mention he has no history with Ali. Mean while A has done everything he/she/it could to scare the Liars off. Who are we kidding with the cops. They are just as bad as the Liars. And honestly the people who seem to solve songfest of the cases are the Liars via A leaving them clues. Remember when Spencer and Jason got Garrett to go free because they sent in evidence that found him innocent? Actually Spencer tends to solve the mini mysteries that never leads them to finding answers. lol

Yeah, I don't want another round of Toby's wooden angsting about his mother either, but it would at least make last season's seemingly pointless diversion into something relevant to the main plot (such as it is). 

4.  Bethany broke out and went to the DiLaurentis house the night Ali disappeared and got killed and buried.

Maybe Black Widow planned it, broke Bethany out and killed and buried her in order to somehow frame the DiLaurentis's for it.  Who knows why.  BW's plan went south when Alison disappeared, because a) the police focused on that and b) Mrs. D had the gazebo foundation poured promptly to cover up where she thought Ali was buried, inadvertently covering up Bethany.

The tedious "Toby Seeks Answers" plot from last season was BW trying to lead him down the trail of finding out who Bethany was and what her connection to the DiLaurentis's was.  That flopped also, so now BW is on Plan C, getting Ezra to figure it out.

Definitely an interesting theory, the only problem is it doesn't explain who the Black Widow is.  Personally I think:

1. Ali's twin sister Courtney started to go crazy so their parents had her committed to Radley.  Being a control freak, Mrs. D got a position on the hospital board to have more control over her daughter's care.
  2. Cece impersonates Ali to try to get into Radley.  I never got why she did this but it makes so degree of sense if Ali had a sibling committed there.
  3. Courtney meets Bethany Young and shows her pictures of her family and house.  Bethany realizes how dangerous Courtney is and draws the picture as a warning to Mrs. D.
  4. Courtney kills Toby's mom and Mrs. D uses her influence to have the incident covered up.
  5. With Bethany's help, Courtney escapes from Radley and tries to kill Ali.  Unable to bear the thought of losing both her daughters, Mrs. D covers up Ali's "murder".
  6. When Ali is rescued, Courtney doesn't want anyone looking for Ali, so she kills Bethany and buries her in Ali's place.
  7. Courtney takes on the persona of the Black Widow and spends the next three years trying to track down Ali.
  8. Ali knows that the person who tried to kill her is Courtney, but she doesn't want to expose the DiLaurentis family's (and possibly Hasting family's) biggest secret, their crazy daughter who they have kept hidden away.  Ali returns to Rosewood either because she is running out of options and thinks her best chance is to have the police and the Lairs on her side or she know it's only a matter of time before Courtney kills one of the Lairs and the Lair are among the few people Ali actually cares about.

Yes, I try to explain everything with the twin theory.  I don't think it's the best way for the show to resolve it's central mystery but at this point anything that actually ties everything together would make me happy.  Also there have been so many little hints throughout the series, that the writers are either foreshadowing a twin reveal or they are actively trying to screw with the fans.

• Love 1

The main reason why the twin theory doesn't work for me is because Ali would know she had a twin sister. Considering she never even seems to suspect that this person may want to hurt her, when she went through each of the people she thought were sending her messages, I don't believe Courtney exists on the show. Even if Ali had been told that this girl died at some point in the past, Ali herself has faked her death. If she was never told and Courtney was somehow shipped away before Ali became aware of her, then either Jessica would have told Ali when she escaped, or Ken would have told her when Ali came back from being "kidnapped," if only because "twin sister who went crazy" would be at the top of the list of suspects.

None of the DiLaurentis family members behave as if Ali has a sister, so I can't accept that as the solution.

Re: this episode -

• Spencer's outfit. what
  • Look at Aria, actually growing some relevance.
  • I call BS on Emily not being able to take these people in a fistfight. But see, that's why you should go back to Paige, Emily. Aria knew the importance of dating Jake, and when Aria's strategy for staying alive is better than yours, you need to rethink a few things.
  • Hurray for Spencer letting Aria have it with at least one barrel. I'm guessing that once she's no longer dressed up like one of the 7 Dwarfs, she'll be able to make a stronger argument.
  • Poor Hanna, all she was trying to do was save the show by sending Ali back to Neverl...uh, Purga...I mean, back into hiding. Agreed that Emily isn't exactly thinking with her big brain here. At the same time, at least she's conflicted about it.

There is also the possibility that Bethany drew the picture to represent a threat in Jessica's life-like Peter Hastings?

That's how I saw the drawing. It looked like Mrs. D gardening with a monster coming up to attack her.

I think Troian is trying to hide that hideous wig they've been making her wear. I know it takes a long time to straighten her hair but I rather they use Troians natural hair than these wigs.

I'm convinced Ali knows exactly who is stalking her. And I'm certain they will end up being her twin. Which means I think the Ali from the first Halloween episode is not the current Ali.

If all this is wrong then I need to stop drinking. lol

I suppose Ali could know about the twin, but lie about her. Or the twin might not have been hostile to her, so Ali would have no reason to suspect her. Or this Ali could be the twin.

When I saw the drawing I thought the monster was someone threatening or a bad influence on Mrs D from the house/family. Maybe Ali. Bethany loathed Ali for whatever reason, escaped from Radley and tried to kill her. Why Mrs. D covered for her, no clue, but this is an issue no matter who Ali's would-be killer was because why she would cover for anyone but Jason? Then someone killed Bethany and dumped her body in the grave. The interesting thing about Ali's Yellow Top of Corpse Misidentification is that 2 people are known to have had it: CeCe (wearing it) and Mona (gave Ali new clothes).

I just hate hate hate the twin thing. It's like straight out of a soap opera - the evil twin nobody knew about. It would also be a total cop out IMO since the twin doesn't count as one of those characters we've watched since the beginning, the ones we speculate about being A. 

Also, wouldn't Shana, as her childhood friend, have known about a twin? 

The twin thing is very soap opera, I agree. But I don't think the whole A plot can have a decent resolution at this point. Unless it's Melissa, I suppose.

Shana lived in Georgia, where Ali's family only visited. Also, maybe Shana did know about the twin and she was one of the people who turned her against Ali.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. The show just shuffles the characters as it pleases. I mean, Noel Kahn seemed to be part of A Team, but no, he was so pro-Ali that he dated Mona and Jenna presumably to get info from them, and now he's possibly back in contact with Mona because she revealed herself as so anti-Ali? While Shana started dating Jenna for the same reason, but turned against Ali? But wait, Ali believed Shana could actually have been A? And now the real A is back and wants Ali in Rosewood while Team MoJeNna wants to drive her out. But when did Mona stop working for A? Wait, did she ever work for the real A? And wait, wasn't she sorta bested by lame ass Ezra? But he was not A either. I just can't with it.

(edited)

I think the real Ali is the bad guy and the twin would just be BSC. Ali would be the one who was stalking fake Ali during the first Halloween episode. But this Ali that the girls are trying to protect is secretly A and taking her anger out on the Liars because she's a sociopath. At least this is what I see in my head. lol

I think the biggest not to subtle we are going to twin route is the theme song it self. lol

Was Mona bested by Ezra? JFC they are forcing him on us even more now. He looks incredibly lame not going to the police. Caleb and Toby have excuses. They are kids themselves but this over grown 12 year old boy is stunted.

Edited by mjgchick

Was Mona bested by Ezra? JFC they are forcing him on us even more now. He looks incredibly lame not going to the police. Caleb and Toby have excuses. They are kids themselves but this over grown 12 year old boy is stunted.

They also have the excuse of not being nearly as involved, Ezra has stalked them and it gave us nothing but a huge waste of time.

Ali carries her purse like Queen Elizabeth.  It's very non-teenager and distracting.  If she  really needs a purse that big, get a backpack.

A lot of girls carry their purses like that because many of the high end purses (like Birkins - and of course the knock offs) have short top handles that require you to either hold it with your hand or slide it onto your forearm. It makes me cringe whenever I see girls carrying their bags like that because it is so bad for you! Your forearm is not meant to bear that much weight hanging off of it, especially those larger bags with 10 pounds of crap in them.