Type keyword(s) to search

Coroner - General Discussion

Pepper the Cat
  • Start Topic

Bump pinkie.gif.6d13de9af17cc29a5f47c316ab2b64ad.gif 

3.1 "Bobby" airs tonight on the CW during the first hour of prime time.
from IMDb:

In the wake of COVID-19, Jenny investigates the mysterious death of a care worker whose body is found in her own car.

ETA:
Definitely the best Covid-centric episode of a series I've seen! 
Being a show about a coroner made it a natural setting, but I was in awe of how well it was handled and depicted. 
The montage of the progression of masking and the increase of bodies at the beginning was stunning and a story that needed to be told in a way that was just enough fictionalized to clarify the message and the meanings. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9

Airing tonight on the CW --or streaming tomorrow on the CW if the CW signal craps out:

"In Bloom"

New, 2/10/2021,  Season 3 / Episode 2

Jenny is called to the scene when a body is found in the maze of a retreat center, and she discovers some painful truths about the effects of therapy.

9 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

So when her therapist asked her about people leaving her why didn't she mention her husband dropping dead at her son's swim meet? Yeah, he was a sh*theel, but that should still have been pretty traumatic.

I was expecting that, but when it didn't happen, I figured the therapist wanted to get her over the No/Yes hurdle first?

• Love 1
On 8/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, shapeshifter said:

Definitely the best Covid-centric episode of a series I've seen! 

Being a show about a coroner made it a natural setting, but I was in awe of how well it was handled and depicted. 
The montage of the progression of masking and the increase of bodies at the beginning was stunning and a story that needed to be told in a way that was just enough fictionalized to clarify the message and the meanings.

I agree. The Good Doctor comes second but Coroner really caught how it feels to go through all the Covid protocol. It really made me appreciate what medical staff have to do,

Who knew we'd still be doing it a year later (albeit at a more relaxed rate)?

• Love 3

3.4 "Eyes Up"
Originally aired in Canada February 3, 2021
Airing in U.S. September 9, 2021
Streaming on CW September 10, 2021

"Jenny and Donovan help a young girl who seeks the truth about her father's death."

A very sad episode, except for Jenny's father, which seems unrealistic --based on what I see of my neighbor with Alzheimer's at a similar stage.

The graffiti art painted on the walls outside the mom's hospital room was very beautiful, but it also seemed unrealistic that such a vast art project could have been completed in such a short time, even if the 12-year-old daughter was only finishing her father's work. I guess the show's CGI team went a little overboard?

I also felt uncomfortable with the portrait artist and Roger Cross's character hooking up in that manner, but that's probably just because I've painted portraits, and never hooked up with a subject. But it happens.

Still, as a straight-arrow cop with ethics, I would expect Detective Donovan McAvoy would hesitate more. I've been hating McAvoy's whole diagnosis and the way they've dealt with it, and now they had McAvoy use his medical condition as the reason he decided to get together with the portrait artist he just met.

Having had cancer treatments myself, it seems very unlikely to me that McAvoy would be physically up for it, especially given what we've seen of him struggling to do his usual stuff.

IDK. Maybe showing that McAvoy didn't drop Jenny over the side of the building while she took a picture of the graffiti was supposed to mean he was up to making love to someone he's met twice.

It was almost funny the way Jenny was annoyed with the whinnying horses in the middle of her broken heart moment. 
Maybe that's foreshadowing that Jenny and Liam will get back together since they both get annoyed with the horses?
Also, Liam's new lover shut him down in their last scene where he leaned in for a kiss. I hope they don't give her one of those tired old lines about how she knows he's still in love with Jenny.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

Jenny's relationship implodes, and Donovan hooks up.  Jenny hasn't been hallucinating (lately) and Donovan starts.

I came here to see if anyone had an explanation for the eggs.   If it was there, I missed it.  

Are you asking about a symbolic explanation for the eggs? 
(because I'm sure I can come up with one, LOL)

IRL and in the show:
Rubee was preparing for her class Egg Drop Contest.
Teachers use it from middle school through college to teach physics, sociology (if they work in teams), etc.
The final test involves the students dropping their eggs off of a height (usually the school roof) to see whose doesn't break. 
Rubee was more creative and smart than the other kids because she used a parachute instead of just padding.  

Rubee had brought an egg carton up to the fire escape, presumably to tweak her egg drop method until the egg didn't break upon landing. 
When she ran from the killer, Rubee left behind her spare eggs in the carton.
This tipped off the killer that she had been there and seen him (a bit of a stretch, to me).
Later Jenny saw the eggs and knew it was a clue, and then, when they found the egg parachute, she knew what the eggs were for because her son had the same assignment when he was Rubee's age. 
So Jenny figured a school age child had witnessed the murder and was hiding and in danger (another bit of a stretch of human intuition). 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

It was an exercise for school; some kids apparently wrap the eggs up in padding and drop them. The little girl was trying to make parachutes instead.  I didn’t get what she was drawing on them, though.

• Love 2

3.5 "Back to the Future" 
Originally aired in Canada March 3, 2021
Airing in U.S. September 16, 2021
Streaming on CW September 17, 2021
"After a gruesome discovery at a body farm, Jenny and Donovan unearth a small town's tragic secrets."

I wonder if this episode was intended for Halloween but the pandemic got in the way?
I still hate McAvoy's cancer story. Maybe because I had cancer?

IRL, whether in the States or in Canada, would a coroner have been able to rule this as an accidental death?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

IRL, whether in the States or in Canada, would a coroner have been able to rule this as an accidental death?

In the US the duties of the coroner vary from state to state, and from jurisdiction to jurisdiction within the state.   So I think it depends.  For this story, it seemed like she realized she was stretching the boundaries of her powers as coroner, but she assumed because the death happened so long ago, it was a case where no one would really push back.

How did the father know to go out in the woods and hide his son's corpse?

For McAvoy, although I know that a lot of people don't want their colleagues to know that they are ill, I hate that he is keeping a secret from everyone but his new hookup.  That seems like foreshadowing of something really bad.

Edited by Mermaid Under
added
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

How did the father know to go out in the woods and hide his son's corpse?

Good question.
Having the father left with limited abilities to communicate is a bit of a convenient plot device to help bury the details of what happened--
which, now that I think about it, reinforces Jenny's decision to call it an accident.

But possibly the father saw the son preparing to leave with the wolf mask, and asked where he was going, to which the son might have replied "to scare [my sister.]"

Then, later, the sister comes home shaken and tripping on LSD and tells Dad "I killed a wolf." 

Then Dad finds the son and buries him.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, shapeshifter said:

Good question.
Having the father left with limited abilities to communicate is a bit of a convenient plot device to help bury the details of what happened--
which, now that I think about it, reinforces Jenny's decision to call it an accident.

But possibly the father saw the son preparing to leave with the wolf mask, and asked where he was going, to which the son might have replied "to scare [my sister.]"

Then, later, the sister comes home shaken and tripping on LSD and tells Dad "I killed a wolf." 

Then Dad finds the son and buries him.

I guess that must be the thinking. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any way for the father to know to do that.  

Are we to think that the father, his having buried the son,  would in any way caused his stroke/whatever it was and put him in his current state in which he can't communicate?

Jenny ruling it an accident didn't sit right with me either.

And then the trio of "girls" just go happily marching down the street? After just realizing she just killed her brother?

Seems unlikely to me.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, cinsays said:

And then the trio of "girls" just go happily marching down the street? After just realizing she just killed her brother?

Seems unlikely to me.

I guess the sister didn’t tell the friends??   
But they knew about the body being found —and then there was the investigation🤔

Yeah. Weird wrap up.

The rain falls on everyone, but the thunder cloud that seems to be perpetually over Jenny and everyone she breathes on was just too much for me tonight.  Her husband, her father, her boyfriend, the psychopath she hired to take care of her father (not just a typical crook, but a psychopath who seems determined to be lingering storyline), and now her son.  They have good actors and a good premise.  The writers shouldn't have to resort to ensuring every person in this woman's life finds a way into a horrible situation.  Concentrate on the corpses for a while.

Edited by Mermaid Under
be
  • Love 5

3.6 "No Justice, No Peace"
Originally aired in Canada March 10, 2021
Episode aired in U.S. Sep 23, 2021
"After a night of partying, Ross finds himself embroiled in a murder investigation."

15 minutes ago, Mermaid Under said:

...the thunder cloud that seems to be perpetually over Jenny and everyone she breathes on...
The writers shouldn't have to resort to ensuring every person in this woman's life finds a way into a horrible situation.  Concentrate on the corpses for a while.

Yeah. Pretty grim. I guess the EP and writers are determined to cover every possible PSA topic. 
But they sure do it well, right?

Mark Taylor / Clark Coleman (Crown Attorney, which seems like the Canadian equivalent of the U.S. District Attorney) has more "chemistry" with Jenny than Liam, IMO. 

• Love 3

So are we done with Liam? I thought that when we saw him again, that they were on their way back to each other. They had spent time apart and both had been doing (desperately needed) work on themselves. But in the end, it seems like he was only brought back to break up with her for good. What was the point of that? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janeta said:

So Ross and Matteo are at this party and do E but then Matteo seems to vanish, even after shots are fired? You'd think he'd been looking for Ross….

IRL Matteo was probably oblivious to it all, but in fiction it could be a set up for something else.
Maybe Ross had a wake up call and will tell Matteo their not good for each other (like mother/like son)?
Which was probably the point of: 

16 minutes ago, TVForever said:

So are we done with Liam? I thought that when we saw him again, that they were on their way back to each other. They had spent time apart and both had been doing (desperately needed) work on themselves. But in the end, it seems like he was only brought back to break up with her for good. What was the point of that? 

too.

• Love 1

…all over the broken crockery..? Uh, no.

So Liam wrecks the truck  and loses the horse- did the thought never cross his mind to *call for help?* 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Edited by janeta
  • Love 3

3.7 "Round and Round"
Original air date in Canada: March 17, 2021
First aired in U.S.: September 30, 2021
"Jenny and Clark are forced to work together in the world of narcotics and therapy to solve the mystery of the corpse of an unidentified man."
"OLD PROBLEMS, NEW WOUNDS – A deceased John Doe forces Jenny (Serinda Swan) and Clark (Mark Taylor) to work together in the world of narcotics and therapy.  Liam (Éric Bruneau) seeks a fresh start, while Mac (Roger Cross) takes a day off to spend time with someone special."

They better not kill off Roger Cross's character!!!!
(Detective Donavan McAvoy)

I was almost hoping this was the end of Liam except that then we'd have to see mopey Jenny tell Clark she needed time to process or something.

Did Liam just go off the road trying to turn around the truck and horse trailer? Or was he drunk?

So Ross --after getting arrested for murder while high on ecstasy-- goes "out" for the evening to see "a friend" and can't be bothered to tell his mom where? Ugh. 

I at least wanted Donovan to look at Jenny's face after they rescued her and say, "Are you wearing lipstick??!?" 
The episode needed a little more levity.

• Love 3

I like this show, but I find myself at the end of every episode thinking, "Well that was weird".

I always feel like there are pieces of the story that I missed. Can any of the Canadian viewers speak to this? 

They better not kill off Roger Cross's character!!!!
(Detective Donavan McAvoy)

I kept thinking Donavan was going to break his back with the big hole in it.  I thought it while he was skating, and when he was wrestling with the perp, or whatever they call the bad guys on this show.

I also had a great deal of difficulty following Liam's story.  The whole point of it seemed to be that he was better, because the horse trusted him now, but they took a lot of time getting there, all of which was wasted on me.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Mermaid Under said:

following Liam's story.  The whole point of it seemed to be that he was better, because the horse trusted him now, but they took a lot of time getting there, all of which was wasted on me.

But is Liam better? I don't think we know.

What a crazy show when the sanest person is that dad who has Alzheimer's, right?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TVForever said:

I like this show, but I find myself at the end of every episode thinking, "Well that was weird".

I always feel like there are pieces of the story that I missed. Can any of the Canadian viewers speak to this? 

All I can add as a Canadian viewer is that Adrienne Mitchell (one of the executive producers) makes really weird shows. Check out Durham County and Bellevue for further evidence. 
Matthew Hall - the writer on whose books this is based - also wrote the show Keeping Faith, which is significantly less weird. 
Genuinely, that’s all I can offer.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, TVForever said:

Not a clue.  And I still haven't forgiven them for killing the poor dog.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Not a clue.  And I still haven't forgiven them for killing the poor dog.

Getting old here. So, not a reference to Old Yeller? 
Never mind, ignorance is bliss.

At least the horse had "just a scratch."

When Liam was coughing after wrecking the truck, I thought for sure it was Chekhov's fatal broken rib in the lung cough. But no. Probably just from smoking those stinky Gitanes. (Plus the whiskey bottle chard.)

• Useful 1
On 2/7/2020 at 10:25 PM, statsgirl said:

I really liked last season until her father killed the dog. The dog was one of my favourite characters, and it was so unfair to kill him.

I just found this show and just watched that episode.  Am I correct in thinking that the dog had something to do with Jenny's sister's death and that's why the father shot the dog?  Those rapid-fire flashbacks are really hard for me to follow sometimes.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I just found this show and just watched that episode.  Am I correct in thinking that the dog had something to do with Jenny's sister's death and that's why the father shot the dog?  Those rapid-fire flashbacks are really hard for me to follow sometimes.

I guess I missed that one. 

so when they did the autopsy and his brain came out like sludge, are we to think that it got that way because he'd been dead for several days or because the cryogenic guy did something to him or ?

this show is so confusing

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

so when they did the autopsy and his brain came out like sludge, are we to think that it got that way because he'd been dead for several days or because the cryogenic guy did something to him or ?

this show is so confusing

He had been brain dead for several days. That was the whole thing - the pre-programmed phrases and responses in the box had his partner and daughter thinking he was still alive when in reality he had died however many days before.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, mledawn said:

He had been brain dead for several days. That was the whole thing - the pre-programmed phrases and responses in the box had his partner and daughter thinking he was still alive when in reality he had died however many days before.

Right.
And he died of "natural causes" (his illness), right?
Without any "help"?
--which his daughter and wife finally realized and accepted, hence their finding comfort with one another as they acknowledged their mutual grief
--which I really appreciated seeing
--so much grief is so lonely.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Right.
And he died of "natural causes" (his illness), right?

Yes. In the end it brought the daughter and partner together, which was tragically nice (?).

I was typing while you were editing but we arrived at the same place!

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, mledawn said:

but that wasn't my question

i was asking about the composition of his brain turning to mush - is that what the brain turns to a few days after you die? 

i was asking about the composition of his brain turning to mush - is that what the brain turns to a few days after you die? 

The liquefication of organs in a unembalmed dead body at room temperature -  brain or other organs - would take longer than a few days.  So no, it isn't scientifically correct- it is a television plot device to reinforce the point that the guy has been brain dead for awhile, and his wife and daughter have been fighting over the feedback from something that is basically an Alexa. 

But the plot this week was weak.  The whole episode presented two plot pushers that will impact future episodes - Peggy isn't dead, and Jenny and Donovan were finally honest with each other about what is going on in their lives.

Edited by Mermaid Under
i am proud of the fact that i don't know the difference between alexis and alexa.
  • Love 7
On 10/9/2021 at 10:32 PM, LadyMustang65 said:

IIRC, Jenny knocked her sister over the second floor railing when they were fighting over something trivial. Her father told Jenny a story about how her sister tripped over the dog and fell down the stairs, then he shot the dog. I don't remember exactly why he never told her the truth about how her sister died, maybe he just assumed that's how her sister fell over the railing. She was obviously traumatized for the rest of her life, even with the convenient lie.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

IIRC, Jenny knocked her sister over the second floor railing when they were fighting over something trivial. Her father told Jenny a story about how her sister tripped over the dog and fell down the stairs, then he shot the dog. I don't remember exactly why he never told her the truth about how her sister died, maybe he just assumed that's how her sister fell over the railing. She was obviously traumatized for the rest of her life, even with the convenient lie.

Gordon didn't want Jenny to live with the weight of knowing she'd killed her sister, so he fabricated the story about the dog. Jenny repressed and/or replaced her memories of that incident but they came back - perhaps triggered by the trauma of her husband's death? Unsure.

10 hours ago, cinsays said:

but that wasn't my question

Sorry, I misunderstood from "are we to think that it got that way because he'd been dead for several days or because the cryogenic guy did something to him or ?" hence my reply. Thankfully @Mermaid Under could provide a dose of reality. That brain-cutting scene was super gross, also.

• Love 2