Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pepper the Cat

Coroner (Canada)

I have been watching this show.  I do sometimes wish that everyone wasn't so broken.  It does seem like everyone on the show has deep emotional problems.  Maybe they need someone to be the rock for everyone.  

I really like this show too.  Liam seemed pretty solid last season but the cracks are really showing this season!

On 1/27/2020 at 2:35 AM, Pepper the Cat said:

Anyone else watching Coroner on CBC.

i am enjoying it although I do find Jenny’s health problems a little confusing at times.

i find Jenny's behavior confusing more than her health problems. She always speaks with a vague expression as if she is not all there, which for her profession does not make sense. It was the same in the first season as well when she did not have tiredness as an excuse. I now think its the actress choice more than what the script indicates. It reminds me a little of Ally Walker in Profiler (a 1996-2000 TV series). 

I didn't think to check for a Coroner forum - yay! I really enjoyed the first season but this season really is going dark. You can really tell it's an Adrianne Mitchell series (Bellevue, Durham County).
I genuinely teared up for this latest episode "One Drum". The Annishinabowin conversations were perfectly placed and so emotional to hear. My good friend is half Mohawk, half Tuscarora and he isn't familiar with his cultural languages because he wasn't around anyone who spoke them.I like to think that Ennis will reconnect with his people and flourish.

All that aside, I hope they're not setting Kelly up to be an unhinged person, and I hope they're not setting up Liam to cheat.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I think that Jenny needs to check into a psych facility and get some serious help. Getting a sleep study is good but she needs to discover the reason for the sleep walking. She also needs to be in a place where she is no longer a threat to herself or others.

• Like 1

I really liked last season until her father killed the dog. The dog was one of my favourite characters, and it was so unfair to kill him.

I generally like the show but it tends to be confusing and gets too much into murky psychological waters.

I was talking to someone about this show and she commented that they really hit all the diversity beats -- Black, Asian, gay, lesbian, Middle Eastern, South East Asian, dementia, war vet. Public television in Canada.

Things are just getting weirder and weirder. Is Jenny sleep walking or creating invisible friends?

And is Kelly trying to take over Jenny’s life? Single White Female?

• Like 1

Really confused now. Where did the baby come from? It wasn’t Hollys. It wasn’t Kelly’s. So where did it come from.

and what if Kelly gaining from this? If Jenny’s Dad had died was she somehow suddenly a beneficiary?

and if she was putting Jenny’s meds in the smoothie, doe this mean that Jenny has been taking some type of placebo?

so confused

• Useful 1

Everyone on this show has some type of mental health issue, and in varying degrees. I think that's probably a deliberate move on part of the showrunners.

Finally got caught up - so glad the characters have caught on that Kelly is nuts. The way she inserted herself into the Coopers' lives was not normal. Maybe it's from watching too much Criminal Minds, but she seemed very pathological.

It is a bit exhausting though that all of the characters have so many issues. Real life has enough of that that I would prefer for the TV shows I watch to be a bit lighter, but I am engaged enough in the story to keep watching.

• Like 1

I don't mind some psychological issues on my shows but it's too much that every single person in the house has serious problems -- Jenny's sleepwalking, her father's increasing dementia, Liam's PTSD, the son's avoidance issues, and now Kelly's full blown craziness. Add to that Donovan and this married social worker .... Enough already.

It took me a while to connect that the actress who plays Kelly is the same one who is the OB/GYN having the affair with the nurse on Nurses. So different, but both likeable.

• Like 2

“Kelly” is also the vice principal on Burden of Truth.  She’s a very busy Canadian actor. 

• Useful 1

Well, I enjoyed that finale. Once again I was reminded how Adrianne Mitchell makes MESSED UP shows, but the ending was nice. The way the storyline looped around to the fire at the beginning and how Noor tied in with Kelly was well done.

Liam is a DISASTER.

Nicholas Campbell adds so much to this show even with his brief appearances.

I'd like a third season.

Edited by mledawn · Reason: I forgot about Liam being particularly disastrous
  • Like 3

Great news about Coroner.

I'm shocked there isn't a Cardinal forum here - I just binged that, it was fantastic.