Type keyword(s) to search

Coroner - General Discussion

Pepper the Cat
  • Start Topic

I have been watching this show.  I do sometimes wish that everyone wasn't so broken.  It does seem like everyone on the show has deep emotional problems.  Maybe they need someone to be the rock for everyone.  

On 1/27/2020 at 2:35 AM, Pepper the Cat said:

Anyone else watching Coroner on CBC.

i am enjoying it although I do find Jenny’s health problems a little confusing at times.

i find Jenny's behavior confusing more than her health problems. She always speaks with a vague expression as if she is not all there, which for her profession does not make sense. It was the same in the first season as well when she did not have tiredness as an excuse. I now think its the actress choice more than what the script indicates. It reminds me a little of Ally Walker in Profiler (a 1996-2000 TV series). 

I didn't think to check for a Coroner forum - yay! I really enjoyed the first season but this season really is going dark. You can really tell it's an Adrianne Mitchell series (Bellevue, Durham County).
I genuinely teared up for this latest episode "One Drum". The Annishinabowin conversations were perfectly placed and so emotional to hear. My good friend is half Mohawk, half Tuscarora and he isn't familiar with his cultural languages because he wasn't around anyone who spoke them.I like to think that Ennis will reconnect with his people and flourish.

All that aside, I hope they're not setting Kelly up to be an unhinged person, and I hope they're not setting up Liam to cheat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think that Jenny needs to check into a psych facility and get some serious help. Getting a sleep study is good but she needs to discover the reason for the sleep walking. She also needs to be in a place where she is no longer a threat to herself or others.

• Love 1

I really liked last season until her father killed the dog. The dog was one of my favourite characters, and it was so unfair to kill him.

I generally like the show but it tends to be confusing and gets too much into murky psychological waters.

I was talking to someone about this show and she commented that they really hit all the diversity beats -- Black, Asian, gay, lesbian, Middle Eastern, South East Asian, dementia, war vet. Public television in Canada.

• Love 1

Really confused now. Where did the baby come from? It wasn’t Hollys. It wasn’t Kelly’s. So where did it come from.

and what if Kelly gaining from this? If Jenny’s Dad had died was she somehow suddenly a beneficiary?

and if she was putting Jenny’s meds in the smoothie, doe this mean that Jenny has been taking some type of placebo?

so confused

• Useful 1

Finally got caught up - so glad the characters have caught on that Kelly is nuts. The way she inserted herself into the Coopers' lives was not normal. Maybe it's from watching too much Criminal Minds, but she seemed very pathological.

It is a bit exhausting though that all of the characters have so many issues. Real life has enough of that that I would prefer for the TV shows I watch to be a bit lighter, but I am engaged enough in the story to keep watching.

• Love 1

I don't mind some psychological issues on my shows but it's too much that every single person in the house has serious problems -- Jenny's sleepwalking, her father's increasing dementia, Liam's PTSD, the son's avoidance issues, and now Kelly's full blown craziness. Add to that Donovan and this married social worker .... Enough already.

It took me a while to connect that the actress who plays Kelly is the same one who is the OB/GYN having the affair with the nurse on Nurses. So different, but both likeable.

• Love 2

Well, I enjoyed that finale. Once again I was reminded how Adrianne Mitchell makes MESSED UP shows, but the ending was nice. The way the storyline looped around to the fire at the beginning and how Noor tied in with Kelly was well done.

Liam is a DISASTER.

Nicholas Campbell adds so much to this show even with his brief appearances.

I'd like a third season.

Edited by mledawn
I forgot about Liam being particularly disastrous
  • Love 3

One of the small upsides of the self-quaranting is that the US networks are picking up good Canadian shows and giving them a wider audience while they wait for their own shows to begin filming. Coroner is a strange match for the CW though.

10 hours ago, mledawn said:

I'm shocked there isn't a Cardinal forum here - I just binged that, it was fantastic.

Cardinal. I agree, it was fantastic. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

One of the small upsides of the self-quaranting is that the US networks are picking up good Canadian shows and giving them a wider audience while they wait for their own shows to begin filming. Coroner is a strange match for the CW though.

Cardinal. I agree, it was fantastic. 

Did you just start that forum? Ooo! Yay!

• Love 1
On 6/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, mledawn said:

Did you just start that forum? Ooo! Yay!

It's easy, anyone can start a single show thread in the "other" shows sections.

If  you want a full forum with multiple threads, you can request it here.

I just started watching the show (I've made it 3 episodes in so far) and I just read this forum... So a dog is going to get killed?  That may be the breaking point for me.  I'm one of those squishy people who don't care how many people are blown up in a movie, you'd better not hurt the dog.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Morgana said:

I just started watching the show (I've made it 3 episodes in so far) and I just read this forum... So a dog is going to get killed?  That may be the breaking point for me.  I'm one of those squishy people who don't care how many people are blown up in a movie, you'd better not hurt the dog.

You shouldn't read the posts since the show has been on for 2 seasons (16 episodes) in Canada. There is bound to be some spoilers hiding in there. But to come across this post you probably have to read all the other posts to get to this one.

5 hours ago, Morgana said:

So a dog is going to get killed?  That may be the breaking point for me.  I'm one of those squishy people who don't care how many people are blown up in a movie, you'd better not hurt the dog.

Not onscreen. And not in the present. I was bothered because I'm super sensitive to that kind of thing even if it is fiction and no real dogs were hurt.

I find this show interesting but darker than my taste. But that seems to be the fashion these days.

(If you like dogs, try Hudson and Rex. Maybe we can get enough people to get a thread going.)

• Love 1

I don't know how I never found this thread. I looked for it several times, because I'd started watching the show in the US and liked it so much. And now, because we're a season behind, I have to abandon it. But I wanted to share the love/like for a beat! I wasn't sure I was ready for another socially awkward (that's not exactly it) law enforcement worker series, but this sneaked up on me and I look forward to it now (at a time when I'm pretty numb and tv just kind of washes over me). Love the cast and I can't wait to see where it goes in season 2 (though I spoiled myself a little because I wanted to see what you nice people had to say).   

I'm just getting into this show in the US. I binged on 3 episodes that I recorded on the CW tv station. I think I missed 2-3 initial episodes. So far, I really like it and I'll have to hunt down the few episodes I missed. Looks like it's back next week? Not sure if that starts the 2nd season or if we will still be on the first season.

The lead actress looked so familiar to me, I didn't recognize the name so I looked her up. She was on another show that I really liked and was cancelled several years ago - Graceland. She had long hair in that one so the pixie cut (which I love and could never pull off myself) was faking me out. 

• Love 1

Season 2 Episode 1"Fire" was a crazy pile of crap, I am not sure if anything in the episode made any sense. Why is Jenny's father trying to drive? He didn't know where he was half of the time last season. He lives in an assisted care facility and I can't understand why Jenny would enable him knowing about his impairment.

Why would Jenny think that Ross was going to college when she knew that he wasn't even going to High School?

Don't get me started on the case of the week, it made zero sense. A man living in a rat trap apartment has a 3-D Printer, I don't think so. He printed a gun, but he certainly didn't print the firing pin, where did that come from? How did he know what make and model the firing pin was so that he could select the correct 3-D gun model to print? How long does it take to print a gun? Did he print the bullets as well? How did garden guy end up with the kid? How did he keep the kid's body from burning up, did he leave the burning building carrying the baby? How did garden guy enter the room with the baby if that is where the fire was the worst?

Jenny is a nutty fruitcake, she should have stuck her head in the oven, not the refrigerator.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Season 2 Episode 1"Fire" was a crazy pile of crap, I am not sure if anything in the episode made any sense. Why is Jenny's father trying to drive? He didn't know where he was half of the time last season. He lives in an assisted care facility and I can't understand why Jenny would enable him knowing about his impairment.

Why would Jenny think that Ross was going to college when she knew that he wasn't even going to High School?

Don't get me started on the case of the week, it made zero sense. A man living in a rat trap apartment has a 3-D Printer, I don't think so. He printed a gun, but he certainly didn't print the firing pin, where did that come from? How did he know what make and model the firing pin was so that he could select the correct 3-D gun model to print? How long does it take to print a gun? Did he print the bullets as well? How did garden guy end up with the kid? How did he keep the kid's body from burning up, did he leave the burning building carrying the baby? How did garden guy enter the room with the baby if that is where the fire was the worst?

Jenny is a nutty fruitcake, she should have stuck her head in the oven, not the refrigerator.

Thank you for articulating so much of what I was feeling after watching the episode. I liked the first season enough to hang in there for now, but this was not a great season opener.

Season 2 Episode 2 "Borders" Should you be more worried that you found a woman completely submerged under water "who fell asleep in the bathtub" or that she was fully dressed when you found her. My alarm bell is ringing either way.

There was something off about that video phone call, the video was perfectly fine but the audio was bad? When the guy couldn't hear the woman on the phone, did he start looking around the room like she might have been hiding from him?

Season 2 Episode 3 "Crispr Sistr" I am not sure if that episode made any sense what so ever. Was the healthier sister pretending to be the sicker sister and doing both jobs? Why pretend to be working on diseases that you are not working on?

11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Season 2 Episode 3 "Crispr Sistr" I am not sure if that episode made any sense what so ever. Was the healthier sister pretending to be the sicker sister and doing both jobs? Why pretend to be working on diseases that you are not working on?

Yeah, this episode was kind of confusing in a lot of ways. And, if the guy who died was injecting himself with the same stuff as the sister had been getting , would you still inject her with that stuff after the guy died?  And how did we know the other guy's friend was trying to commit suicide?  

Season 2 Episode 4 "Unburied" I am finding most of the cast unbearable. Didn't Kelly live with a man in a crappy slum apartment. Now, after working at a job two nights a week, she has her own house. Jenny's sister has been dead for XX years and I seen her grieving more this episode than Kelly did when she lost her kid. I always thought Kelly was shady, but she must not be since they are shoehorning her into the series.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I can’t remember who Kelly is? What is her story?

Kelly is the lady who's baby and boyfriend died in an apartment fire. The boyfriend was killed first with a 3-D printed gun and the apartment torched to hide the fact that he committed suicide? because Kelly was going to leave him and the baby was in the (closet?) but somehow was removed from the closet (dead or alive?) and buried in a garden. I really thought Kelly would be involved some how in the crime, some kind of way. I think that is what happened, the story was such a confusing mess that even if I told you what happened beforehand you still wouldn't be able to to make sense of it. I thought it was going to be a multiple episode arc, but the consequences just vanished like many of the plot points in this series, but Kelly is still around.

Jenny's father is the definition of White Male Privilege, every episode he gets into a fight with someone and all that happens to him is he gets a free ride home from the police. 

• Love 2

I found Kelly creepy. I didn't understand why she stayed all day and night. Part of me wondered if she had drugged Jenny and that's why she slept.

I think her boyfriend killed the baby and then himself. Maintenance man then hid the baby so Kelly would still have hope. Mess of a storyline. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Court said:

I think her boyfriend killed the baby and then himself. Maintenance man then hid the baby so Kelly would still have hope. Mess of a storyline. 

Yeah, Kelly was 2 seconds from running into the burning building and being roasted alive.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I now remember who she is, but how did she go from the fire episode to practically living at Jenny's house. 

Jenny needs help with her father, who pretty much needs someone around all the time now. And Kelly seems to be SWFing her.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Court said:

Kelly is creepy AF. She just lets herself in the house ?

*That* is what bothered you about the scene? How about that Liam seemed ready to let Kelly jump his bones.

Last week I thought the plot point of Liam breaking Ross’s arm while they were wrestling was a deal breaker for his relationship with Jenny, but now he and Kelly can literally go f___ each other. 

I wonder if Jenny is being poisoned. 

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

*That* is what bothered you about the scene? How about that Liam seemed ready to let Kelly jump his bones.

Last week I thought the plot point of Liam breaking Ross’s arm while they were wrestling was a deal breaker for his relationship with Jenny, but now he and Kelly can literally go f___ each other. 

I wonder if Jenny is being poisoned. 

All of it did, lol. I was just too tired to type it out. I'm pretty sure she wants to BE Jenny and plans on killing her.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Court said:

All of it did, lol. I was just too tired to type it out. I'm pretty sure she wants to BE Jenny and plans on killing her.

So, next week when Jenny comes home to a bunny boiling for dinner will she buy a vowel from Kelly? Heh. 
I do hope Jenny is just poisoned and not psycho herself. 
Hmm... maybe Liam is poisoned too, and Ross was saved by having his tent outside of the house, but now will start acting psycho too?

• Love 1

Season 2 Episode 6 "The Flipside", How could that guy's wife only now realize that her boyfriend, later husband was the key witness in a wife gone missing murder trial or that she partied all night with the key suspect in a wife gone missing murder trial. Were there no local news or papers around.

Psychiatrist talking to Jenny as they watch the video footage of Jenny on all fours on the floor near her bed. 

Psychiatrist: Jenny, can you tell me what you are doing here?

Jenny: Me and Fernandes was Rawdogging it, Doggystyle. Please don't tell Liam I cheated on him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1