Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: A Not So Merry Christmas

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Soaper410 said:

This Week's Tag Lines: 

Meri: I am uncomfortable with Janelle talking about sex with Kody. 

Christine:  I no longer want the family.  I just want my own house and make my own decisions. 

Robyn:  Kody is an flip flopping idiot who has no idea what he's doing.

Janelle:  I am terrible at my "job" and don't care. 

Kody:  I am such a victim and am always right even if all evidence points to the opposite. 

Although this is not what each of them actually said, it's probably the message behind what they MEANT.

On 1/28/2020 at 2:46 AM, SemiCharmedLife said:

This is it, exactly!  We are no longer watching a family of polygamists who talk about love being multiplied and marrying a family, not a man.  They've all become greedy with the money from TLC and are living like the reality celebrities they are.  They get together for taped family events for the sake of the show and, even then, can't be bothered to be engaged (Meri, I'm looking at you).  If they can't even be bothered to stay at another sister wife's house temporarily while their Flagstaff accommodations are worked out, what chance is there of them living together?  Kody's One House plan has soundproof walls, separate kitchens and living spaces, but that is too close for comfort for most of them.  We are all supporting their lavish lie-fstyle by continuing to watch a completely different show than what was being sold to us.  

Each of them in their own way is outing themselves as being over polygamy and wanting to live the life of 4 completely separate "monogamist" wives/families loosely tied together by the Kodouche for group outings and holidays.  I don't know if they've realized how all the exposure over the years to the dominant monogamist culture has changed them, or if they know and just don't want to admit any of that to the audience.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
9 hours ago, Sandy W said:

So either they had their regular Christmas on the 24/25 and then re-staged it all again weeks later or they postponed their celebration to fit a filming schedule.

I'm thinking they re-staged it because of the "announced pregnancy one year ago" that Maddie posted in late January.

Jen and Bill Klein talked about holiday filming on one of the Little Couple episodes.  They want the actual holidays kept private and off the air.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Kyanight said:

The title of this episode is ridiculous.  They are SOOOOOO melodramatic!  Like their Christmas was completely ruined simply because Kody showed them his plans.  Which, by the way, may or may NOT have actually been shown on Christmas Eve.  They could claim ANY day of filming is Christmas eve, in THIS soap opera.   Life is what you make of it.  You can focus on spending time with family, having a great meal, seeing your loved ones enjoy their gifts... or you can shove all that away and brood about Kody and his idea for one house and let it entirely ruin your Christmas 2019.  Dumb.

The actual sequence was odd as well. They show all the “next big girls” making breakfast. Then, they show the presentation. After the presentation and discussion was over, they show everyone eating breakfast. So they let breakfast sit around and get cold? Not likely. If breakfast and the presentation even happened on the same day they didn’t occur in the timeline shown. 

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Christine’s explanation of the breakfast. No clue if it was mentioned on the show.

0FC7105C-567F-4FFC-A618-17333458106F.jpeg

Because all of those Swedish families have SOOO many older girls on hand to cook the meal, yanno!

• LOL 7
14 hours ago, Kyanight said:

The title of this episode is ridiculous.  They are SOOOOOO melodramatic!  Like their Christmas was completely ruined simply because Kody showed them his plans.  Which, by the way, may or may NOT have actually been shown on Christmas Eve.  

12 hours ago, Sandy W said:

So either they had their regular Christmas on the 24/25 and then re-staged it all again weeks later or they postponed their celebration to fit a filming schedule.

Maybe they did it on the 24/25 then took that mountain of gifts back and re-wrapped them and acted all surprised all over again.  Lucky family, two sessions of Kody with the megaphone.

However they did this Christmas thing, it makes me stabby.  I highly doubt they filmed on Christmas Eve/Day, so they probably either re-staged it or delayed Christmas for the sake of filming.  Either way, what does that say to their kids?  Christmas doesn't rilly count because we're either delaying it by a couple of weeks, or you're all going to have to open these gifts twice because we need to pretend for the sake of our TV show (and only steady source of income).  Both scenarios suck if you're one of the Brown kids, IMO.

But whatever they did, the fact that Kodork just HAD to throw his Plyg Palace presentation into what is normally an already busy and packed holiday just proves to us, in big, neon letters, how selfish Kody really is.  Because you know he's not on hand helping with the shopping, the wrapping, the cleaning, the food, or anything else - he's far too busy working on his PowerPoint presentation to be of any aid whatsoever to anyone in his massive family.  So to summarize this rant, Kody gets out of doing anything meaningful and worthwhile at Christmas because he's busy working on an extensive project that is never going to actually happen.  He's the King of Pretending to Be Busy, and forcing his family to gather, sit quietly, listen and ask no questions until he deems it Q&A time, at Christmastime (more or less).  It has to be All Kody Brown, All the Time.  He is insufferable.

Forgive me, I'm feeling very ranty today.

29 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

"The woman who gave her to us"  --- so they didn't buy the dog they got it free?  

Leave it to Christine to drive four hours to Phoenix and back to pick up a two-month old golden retriever pup only to find out she was actually a four-month old pit bull/terrier mix.  That Christine - so wacky!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

There must be at least one animal shelter in Flagstaff.  I'm happy that she ended up with a mixed breed, and I hope Christine keeps that pup away from Kootie.  

That episode where that poor dog watched his grave being dug, is the worst and saddest episode of the entire show.  Stupid rubes like Kootie should never be allowed around anyone's pet.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

There must be at least one animal shelter in Flagstaff.  I'm happy that she ended up with a mixed breed, and I hope Christine keeps that pup away from Kootie.  

That episode where that poor dog watched his grave being dug, is the worst and saddest episode of the entire show.  Stupid rubes like Kootie should never be allowed around anyone's pet.

Or horses. I remember when they all went to his parents' place and were riding horses and he had to teach one of the horses who was boss. I mean, I know horses and I know that some will take advantage if they sense an inexperienced or weak rider, but he was just being abusive. If you're a good rider, you can control a strong horse without having to beat it.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Dog update:

5E8B1FB5-C907-4F65-8AB8-97AEC1A71075.jpeg

I thought they said it was supposed to be a lab? Anyway, when she came in the house with it, I was like, that's no lab. It was clearly a mixed breed - probably shephard-pitbull. And the poor thing looked so frightened. Who knows where it came from or what it experienced in it's short little life. So Christine drives all day to hook up with someone who lies about the breed and the age of the dog. Sounds about right. She probably did zero research on reputable rescue groups or shelters - or breeders, which it seems she thought she was dealing with. Sounds like she responded to either a Craig's list ad (if it was really free, which I doubt) or from a backyard breeder or puppy mill.

Edited by Teri313
Fixed wording
  • Love 8

My neighbor got a chihuahua mix off Craig's List.  He's a yippy little pup, but very cute!  My cat sits out on our patio, and the dogs (they have two) love to bark at her.  I'd love to get a dog to take on my walks.  Someday...

Christine's picture is probably next to gullible in the dictionary.  Of course, none of the Browns (including that woke Princess Pudge) can claim to be members of Mensa.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

My neighbor got a chihuahua mix off Craig's List.  He's a yippy little pup, but very cute!  My cat sits out on our patio, and the dogs (they have two) love to bark at her.  I'd love to get a dog to take on my walks.  Someday...

Christine's picture is probably next to gullible in the dictionary.  Of course, none of the Browns (including that woke Princess Pudge) can claim to be members of Mensa.

Me too.  When I retire.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

The problem with Craig's List is you really don't necessarily know what your getting or where it came from. People steal dogs and sell them on CL, or get retired breeders for cheap and continue breeding these poor used-up dogs for $$$. There are also dog fighters who get dogs for free or cheap on CL and use them as bait dogs, or people who sell them to animal testing labs. There are all sorts of creepy things people do with these poor animals. So while there are also people with good intentions rehoming or adopting dogs through these channels, it's much better going through a rescue group or no-kill shelter where they have a better chance of getting vet care and the people adopting/buying go through some kind of interview process and have to PAY a fee that is usually more than someone wanting to take advantage of a dog is willing to pay.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, TaxNerd said:

Maybe I've officially become such an old fuddy duddy, but making a public post to acknowledge the anniversary of the day you announced your pregnancy is weird.

I'm sure Maddie lays awake nights trying to think up something, anything to post the next day.  She is trying to become an "influencer" and build a following.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I honestly thought about giving up the show after that very episode, it made me so angry and sad.  But then I thought - no way will these people ever do anything else that stupid or heartless.  I was about as wrong as I could possibly be, but I still get nervous whenever I see a new pet introduced into this family.

#freeNoel

And I know this has been discussed, but I can't remember where...someone mentioned that LDS families don't particularly like animals?  Especially pets?  Why is that?  You'd think a dude with 8 wives and 276 children wouldn't even notice a pet or two.

3 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I'm sure Maddie lays awake nights trying to think up something, anything to post the next day.  She is trying to become an "influencer" and build a following.

Just like her big sister Mariah and her fave bonus mom, Meri!! 🙄

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And I know this has been discussed, but I can't remember where...someone mentioned that LDS families don't particularly like animals?  Especially pets?  Why is that?  You'd think a dude with 8 wives and 276 children wouldn't even notice a pet or two.

You have to buy food, spay or neuter, beds, toys, vet bills, litter for a cat - they're expensive.  El cheapo Kody can barely take off his offspring.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

You have to buy food, spay or neuter, beds, toys, vet bills, litter for a cat - they're expensive.  El cheapo Kody can barely take off his offspring.

True......so right now it's just Christine and Janelle that have pets, right?  And Kody did say to Robyn that if she got a pet it would interfere with their marriage or something - so, the middle two side-pieces don't necessarily care what Kody thinks regarding pets, which I find interesting.  I'm kind of surprised he doesn't forbid pets.  Because he's all in charge of his family like that. 🙄

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

True......so right now it's just Christine and Janelle that have pets, right?  And Kody did say to Robyn that if she got a pet it would interfere with their marriage or something - so, the middle two side-pieces don't necessarily care what Kody thinks regarding pets, which I find interesting.  I'm kind of surprised he doesn't forbid pets.  Because he's all in charge of his family like that. 🙄

Don't forget Meri and her dog that urinates on the carpet constantly.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Uf-dah.  

I'm half-Swedish, so I speak their lingo.  

I'm also half Swedish 👍

My mother's favorite movie was "I remember mama" about a Norwegian family living in San Francisco... In the movie the loud, boisterous uncle Chris hollers this poem.... "10 thousand swedes ran through the weeds chased by one Norwegian!"... It drove my swedish dad crazy! 😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Don't forget Meri and her dog that urinates on the carpet constantly.

I think that dog is Moseby or Mosby, Mariah's dog.  Meri kept him in LV I guess until Mariah got settled in Chicago.  That's one of the dogs that Mariah and "Auj" tried to pass off as emotional support animals when flying and were rebuffed at the airline as they had no documents to prove their case.  When Meri has her hands on that dog, she clings to him as if he's her ESA.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 8

The only way to make this show enjoyable is if Kody married the dog.

I mean, he likes bitches, right?

He seems to marry someone that is different than what he thought.

He likes his ladies with some chunk.

I think this little pup would be the perfect little wifey number 5!

• LOL 8
4 hours ago, Teri313 said:

The problem with Craig's List is you really don't necessarily know what your getting or where it came from. People steal dogs and sell them on CL, or get retired breeders for cheap and continue breeding these poor used-up dogs for $$$. There are also dog fighters who get dogs for free or cheap on CL and use them as bait dogs, or people who sell them to animal testing labs. There are all sorts of creepy things people do with these poor animals. So while there are also people with good intentions rehoming or adopting dogs through these channels, it's much better going through a rescue group or no-kill shelter where they have a better chance of getting vet care and the people adopting/buying go through some kind of interview process and have to PAY a fee that is usually more than someone wanting to take advantage of a dog is willing to pay.

Very good points.  Our cat is a rescue, and we adopted her from a PetSmart event.  We paid $50, and filled out a form.  She came spayed, vet checked, and ready to go.  I think we got a bargain.  

I hope Christine's dog is being treated kindly.  

• Love 11

My daughter just got the cutest rescue dog she saw on Facebook.  The dog is 30 pounds and the shape of a dachshund. Her vet said she is probably a dachshund/beagle mix, so my daughter decided to do a doggie DNA test and the results were incredible:  50% chihuahua, 12.5% boxer, 12.5% Labrador retriever, 12.5% Rottweiler, and 12.5% terrier. Such wacky results--anyone know if these tests are legit? 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

You have to buy food, spay or neuter, beds, toys, vet bills, litter for a cat - they're expensive.

On Escaping Polygamy they talk about how the homes all smell like rotting food because they all dumpster dive for things thrown out by grocery stores.  If that's what you're feeding your kids, I doubt a pet would do very well.

3 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Such wacky results--anyone know if these tests are legit? 

The are legit but only to a certain point.  They have a huge database of certain types of dogs so those always seem to turn up in pretty much any result.  And since Special Blends (formerly mixed breeds) may have lots of bits of DNA, take the results with a grain of salt.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Teri313 said:

I thought they said it was supposed to be a lab? Anyway, when she came in the house with it, I was like, that's no lab. It was clearly a mixed breed - probably shephard-pitbull. 

Same.  

We’ve got a full blood black Lab and that dog looked *nothing* like Ollie did as a puppy.  I know there is variation in any given breed, but there were literally none of the retriever hallmarks. 

i just hope they’re giving her a good home.  She is rilly cute! 

• Love 6

The puppy didn't look like a Golden or Lab, more like a terrier/shepherd. But tiny Noël didn't look 4 months old either; considering how big she is now, she should have been much bigger at 4 months.  She now looks like a pitbull/Jack Russell terrier mix, with some shepherd.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

When Christine said she was driving for hours to get the puppy I immediately thought "because it was free..." I also immediately called "bull" when she said it was a Lab. I also called "bull" when she said it was 7 weeks old.  There is no way that terrified little thing was 7 weeks.  5-ish going on 6 maybe.  So finding out that "the lady that gave the puppy to us lied".  Yep, she did.  So many people immediately panic when they hear the words Pit. Bull. and if they are dealing with someone who doesn't know anything about dogs (Christine) they can get away with their lies.

Many years ago I had a beautiful Isabella Doberman that was a rescue as a puppy and my husband and I didn't crop her ears or her tail for the "classic" Doberman features.  I think we only ran into one person who actually knew she was a Doberman, because of her unusual coloring she was mistaken for a laundry list of other dogs.  The one that confused me the most was how many people screamed at me in the street to destroy my PIT BULL before it killed anyone. I could honestly understand if someone thought she was a Weimaraner, but...pit bull? It just shows the complete ignorance of the average person with dogs.

I think I mentioned it before, but I believe Kody's disdain for dogs and pets in general stems from his father's influence as a generational ranch man.  Old school Farmers and Ranchers are a breed all their own. It's also my opinion that Kody has serious Daddy issues.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I think I mentioned it before, but I believe Kody's disdain for dogs and pets in general stems from his father's influence as a generational ranch man.  Old school Farmers and Ranchers are a breed all their own. It's also my opinion that Kody has serious issues.

So true!!    But I have known many ranchers in my life, and some of them REALLY love their dogs.  Barn cats - not at all.  They aren't even a pet.  But they usually have one dog that is pretty special.  Although come to think of it - they usually only HAVE one dog.  Possibly two.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

So true!!    But I have known many ranchers in my life, and some of them REALLY love their dogs.  Barn cats - not at all.  They aren't even a pet.  But they usually have one dog that is pretty special.  Although come to think of it - they usually only HAVE one dog.  Possibly two.

I live in a small rural agricultural area.  When I was a kid it was farm after farm with dirt roads a crop fields in the valley of the foothills.  Kody has talked about his families ranch/father just enough to make me think his father is one of the "old school thought" type ranchers.  "If it doesn't produce or work it has no place here" kind of people.  Especially after this past episode when he said his father didn't want to have anything to do with Christmas and that had influenced him to want to do the same.

Even the newer Amish that I know who are traditionally very conservative farmers have a very different view on their farms with livestock and pets etc.  Many attitudes have changed, but there are still some old school out there.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I live in a small rural agricultural area.  When I was a kid it was farm after farm with dirt roads a crop fields in the valley of the foothills.  Kody has talked about his families ranch/father just enough to make me think his father is one of the "old school thought" type ranchers.  "If it doesn't produce or work it has no place here" kind of people.  Especially after this past episode when he said his father didn't want to have anything to do with Christmas and that had influenced him to want to do the same.

Even the newer Amish that I know who are traditionally very conservative farmers have a very different view on their farms with livestock and pets etc.  Many attitudes have changed, but there are still some old school out there.

True.  I wasn't trying to generalize.  The ranchers I knew were in Montana.  I still keep in touch with many of their kids via Facebook and one in particular (who took over the ranch) posts pics of her dog.  My vet too, came from a ranch and he certainly loves the dogs that come and go in his life but has no use for the cats his wife has through the years.  I think it depends maybe on the area of the country(?) and of course the individuals.  And I think you are right - I am talking about the exception here... probably because I like the exception better than the norm, being an animal lover!

WAYYYYYY off topic here.... but.....  whenever I get to Ohio to see distant family, we make it a point to go eat breakfast several times at an Amish restaurant just over the border in Penn.  The food is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm trying to think of the name of my favorite dish...  "The Logger" maybe?  Full of potatoes and eggs and breakfast meat...!!  It's located in a big building with lot of Amish shops full of wood furniture and quilts and a BAKERY with the nicest women you will ever meet!  I love that place!   Do you ever go anywhere like that?  We have ZERO Amish so I am out of luck, here.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I think it depends maybe on the area of the country(?) and of course the individuals.  And I think you are right -

WAYYYYYY off topic here.... but.....  whenever I get to Ohio to see distant family, we make it a point to go eat breakfast several times at an Amish restaurant just over the border in Penn.  The food is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm trying to think of the name of my favorite dish...  "The Logger" maybe?  Full of potatoes and eggs and breakfast meat...!!  It's located in a big building with lot of Amish shops full of wood furniture and quilts and a BAKERY with the nicest women you will ever meet!  I love that place!   Do you ever go anywhere like that?  We have ZERO Amish so I am out of luck, here.

I agree with "area of the country".  I'm a Northeastern Farm Girl through and through.  When I was in college there was a even mix of West and East in our Equestrian program and WOW!  The difference in style and ideals was sometimes night and day.

There is only one small "tourist town" that is in the heart of the Amish area locally.  That group has been here as long as I have ever known.  In the last 20 years two other Amish communities have moved into the area.  One has stayed very rural and has little interaction with us "English" and the other is newer and is settling in the South, but they have a nice cluster of businesses and farm stands.  They are very friendly and open, but I don't believe there are any specific Amish restaurants around here.  I lived for quite a few years in Lancaster County and it was truly an experience with all the different communities of the Amish and Mennonite and so many others that were similar, yet different. It's a beautiful and unique place to live, but dealing the the "tourists"!!  🙄

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kyanight said:

When I was riding and leased a horse there were barn cats. They must have saved the barn owner and tenants hundreds in feed bills - there wasn't a day that went by where you wouldn't see one of the cats proudly carrying their rodent prey to their favorite snacking location. The feed was kept securely locked up in rodent proof containers but horses aren't known for being tidy eaters.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Roslyn said:

I agree with "area of the country".  I'm a Northeastern Farm Girl through and through.  When I was in college there was a even mix of West and East in our Equestrian program and WOW!  The difference in style and ideals was sometimes night and day.

There is only one small "tourist town" that is in the heart of the Amish area locally.  That group has been here as long as I have ever known.  In the last 20 years two other Amish communities have moved into the area.  One has stayed very rural and has little interaction with us "English" and the other is newer and is settling in the South, but they have a nice cluster of businesses and farm stands.  They are very friendly and open, but I don't believe there are any specific Amish restaurants around here.  I lived for quite a few years in Lancaster County and it was truly an experience with all the different communities of the Amish and Mennonite and so many others that were similar, yet different. It's a beautiful and unique place to live, but dealing the the "tourists"!!  🙄

Lol @ ‘tourists’...  I grew up about 45 minutes away from Lancaster, and we usually went there once a month to visit my grandma’s favorite dry goods store.  I dreaded going in the summers though, as it was tourist season.  Lots of rude people!

• Love 4
On 1/27/2020 at 12:49 AM, Soobs said:

Who lists a house during the holidays? Most people are too busy to go to open houses. Janelle as a realtor should know spring is the ideal time so that families can get settled before school begins. Also, if you stay in your house less than five years and aren't in a super hot market, you are going to lose money. Pretty sure most people who have owned a house know these basic facts.

I'm not getting why Kody wants such a big house for all of them? The kids are getting older and they'll be empty nesters or close to it in 5-10 years. Sure, the kids will come visit but there's no reason to build basically a hotel. Why no one calls really calls him out is beyond me. I could see them building it and then Kody deciding he wants to go somewhere else in a few years. Future oriented thinking is not Kody's thing.

I’m confused about the big house. Did each wife get a master bedroom and then just one guest room?  Where will all the kids go? I’m sure Robyn requires one for Dayton, the girls, and one for each little. That’s a total of five and I just didn’t see it on his design. 

• Love 3
On 1/28/2020 at 1:46 PM, Kid said:

Kody does not like dogs. That tells me everything I need to know about his character.  I thought he was unlikable before. That clinches it for me.

I suspect that being raised as a rancher, Kody believes dogs don’t belong in a house. My friend married a farmer, and he didn’t allow a dog in their house. He considered them “livestock”.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AryasMum said:

I’m confused about the big house. Did each wife get a master bedroom and then just one guest room?  Where will all the kids go? I’m sure Robyn requires one for Dayton, the girls, and one for each little. That’s a total of five and I just didn’t see it on his design. 

There are bedrooms upstairs too. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, deirdra said:

There are bedrooms upstairs too. 

Thank you!  I should have read the entire thread before posting. I couldn’t make heads or tails of the second floor on my phone.  Maybe I’ll try on my laptop. 

• Love 1

When Kody and Robyn speak of having another child together, Robyn addresses their religion while Kody addresses his ego, his six pack, and his testosterone.  All his words center on his own ability to “create”.  Kody is his own god.

Edited by Just Wondering
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

But isn't that a "tennant" (BrownSpeak) of their supposed faith?  That in their next life, Kootie will be a god and master of his own planet?

Narcissistic asshat.  He'd be insufferable as a monogamist, too, but this multiple wives thingk makes him many times more of a selfish prick.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

But isn't that a "tennant" (BrownSpeak) of their supposed faith?

Yeah, along with modesty, not drinking any alcohol, not drinking coffee, and (borrowed from another religion) not eating pork.  All of which are conveniently ignored when the situation warrants it.

That whole load of crap is his excuse for boinking as many woman as he can suck in with his cockamamie story about a calling from god.  And all of his sheep wives fell for it because they are all dumber than rocks.

• Love 7