Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Bye Bye, Bernie

WendyCR72

To air on February 3, 2020:

When Lola's mother makes a statement about her daughter in a newspaper, Lola must contend with her mother and her colleagues who commend her mother's harsh words about the justice system.

Two Vida cast members in this episode: the accused and the prosecutor in Emily's case. On Vida they play brother and sister.

Knew Mark and ... the lawyer whose name I don't remember ... were going to hook up. Not sure I like it, but it was inevitable.

Lola's relationship with her father is adorable. I loved their family dinner (and the restaurateur throwing shade at them). When Lola's father said her mother was stepping down from the nonprofit, did anyone else think he was going to reveal that she had health issues?

• Love 2

On the one hand, I can get why Lola was upset at what her mom said. She is still rather sensitive and a bit defensive over her career when it comes to her activist mom, and is really trying to fly under the radar and play the political game for real now. On the other, its clear that her mom meant well and really was trying to compliment her, and Lola was being, as I said, defensive, maybe excessively so. She had a right to be annoyed about her mom talking about her to the press, but this was all clearly about some other issues she has with her mom, more so than one article. 

Marks story with the older lady was really good, if bittersweet. Glad that his dad isnt going to jail, even if his dad pretty quickly left town. So now Mark and blond lawyer huh? I dont really see this ending well. 

I did kind of love when Emily told her whole "I understand, I have a troubled backstory" speech to her client, she just didnt give a fuck about Emily trying to relate to her. Of course she did end up bringing it back around, because thats how Emily rolls. I continue to like her and Sara as roommates, I keep expecting them to do some sitcom style hijinks where they end up fighting or having misunderstandings or something, but they are just being super chill and its really fun to see. 

• Love 3

So did Mark keep the watch instead of turning it over the the family!?!?! It looked like he pocketed it???

Lola's mother goofed by speaking to the press, but if anyone can gush about you and your career and not have it be taken to be a scandal, it's your mother. It's expected that your parents will think you're awesome and will brag about you and exaggerate.

I know Lola didn't think it was a compliment, but clearly it was meant to be, even if it was problematic.

I'm not looking forward to seeing Luke and Emily on opposite sides of a case, but if he's becoming a prosecutor, I guess that is what they are setting up. I hope they manage to not go for that cliche, and often they do avoid it on this show, so there's hope. But any other show would follow a well-worn script for that particular set up. Though they have avoided all the roommate tropes, so maybe they will do the same and avoid the partners on opposite sides tropes, too.

Did Sherry ever go on her date with the guy who was courting her for a few episodes?

I liked this episode. I also thought Lola was going a little over the top with her reaction to what her mom said, but maybe it was as another poster said about a lot more than that quote.

So glad Luke is going to the DA's office, and I hope they don't make it a thing that he and Emily are on opposite sides. I'm always amazed at how often Emily winds up in Lola's courtroom.

It will be interesting to see how politics come in to play now that Benner is running for State Attorney General (?).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

So did Mark keep the watch instead of turning it over the the family!?!?! It looked like he pocketed it???

Well, it looked like Bernie's son was a real jerk. I get the feeling Mark would appreciate the watch a heck of a lot more than the son would. Mark didn't know who the son was at first, so he clearly wasn't in court supporting his mom at all. And, Bernie most likely didn't mention she had a son.

Maybe a better approach would have been for Mark to offer the watch to the guy, the guy turn it down, and Mark keeps it. 

• Love 1

My issue with Luke going to the DA's office is that, due to the conflict of interest situation, we're in this weird position where we will never see Luke OR Mark in front of Lola and logically won't see Luke vs. Emily, either. It just seems like it reduces the amount of possible interactions a bit. So I think Luke as Lola's law clerk would have been a better idea. Also, Luke, you get being a law clerk for a judge is just as good of a step towards a future judgeship as being a prosecutor, right?

Also, I was shocked that Lola didn't just dismiss the case once the cellmate/lover admitted that her cellmate/lover had asked for a shiv to attack Emily's client and that she had taken away the shiv, which is why there was no evidence of a shiv at the crime scene. How could any jury possibly NOT find reasonable doubt there? The case should have been dismissed as a matter of law as soon as that testimony was finished. 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, hookedontv said:

Well, it looked like Bernie's son was a real jerk. I get the feeling Mark would appreciate the watch a heck of a lot more than the son would. Mark didn't know who the son was at first, so he clearly wasn't in court supporting his mom at all. And, Bernie most likely didn't mention she had a son.

I don't think an ada gets to steal someone's property because they feel they would appreciate it more than the property owner would.  Given we know almost nothing about Bernie and her son's relationship, it's hard to say if he was a jerk or not.

As to Mark and his dad, it felt like they were doing a fairly dramatic course correction on the storyline to have the whole thing dropped so suddenly and for the guy to be immediately shipped out of town. 

I did think Sherry looked great in that kind of light aquamarine dress. 

• Love 1