Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

S05.E13: Pain Is For The Living

Recommended Posts

To air on February 5, 2020:

Two brothers in critical condition are rushed into the hospital by their parents, leaving Dr. Choi, April and Dr. Charles to piece together what actually transpired. Dr. Manning becomes suspicious of a new mother entering the E.D.

Share this post


Link to post

This hospital is the worst.  They look upon you with suspicion no matter what you come there for, and are all judgy before they even speak to you and ask any questions.  Guilty until proven innocent is how they roll.  April, Choi and Natalie win the judgy trio prize this week.

Oh, Halstead.  Of course the OD whose life he saved is an ob/gyn in his hospital.  Of course.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, izabella said:

Of course the OD whose life he saved is an ob/gyn in his hospital.  Of course.

To be fair, you don't hire Jessy Schram for a bit role .

Are we expecting her to be Halstead's love interest for this season who he eventually dumps for Natalie like he did Dr. Nina?

I laughed at Dr. Charles telling Choi that this isn't a case of child abuse because you know that Choi was totally going to call the authorities on the parents.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The woman with the baby: so she couldn’t feel physical pain? I didn’t really understand Natalie’s explanation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I laughed at Dr. Charles telling Choi that this isn't a case of child abuse because you know that Choi was totally going to call the authorities on the parents.

I was hoping that April would have called the police, and that she would have looked like a fool.  At some point there has to be some story line that knocks her off her high horse.

If April is that worried over the kiss, she should just tell Choi now and get it over with.   No, she shouldn't have kissed Marcel, but it wasn't as though she got on her knees and blew him.

Dr. Marcel needs to be careful what he asks for.  He clearly has an interest in Natalie.  That won't end well.

I think Dr. Marcel is too overconfident at times.   If his ego wasn't as high as a kite, maybe he would have found the bullet before the patient bled out.

Pretty sad that the boy has uncontrollable rage issues, and now he will be put into a system that probably won't treat him very well.  There really wasn't a choice in the matter.  He most certainly would have killed the little boy.

That ob/gyn addict is bound to do something really stupid in the operating room.  Halstead being Halstead, will probably have to plant drugs on her in order to force her into treatment before she can kill off a patient.  Of course if Halstead were to do that, he would be outed for working at an illegal clinic.

 

 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The woman with the baby: so she couldn’t feel physical pain? I didn’t really understand Natalie’s explanation.

I did some googling and apparently there's a condition called 'congenital analgesia' that can -- on very rare occasions -- be combined with Crohn's Disease.  I didn't really understand the addition of the 'no emotions', though.  That seemed really extra. And I love the way that these extremely rare diseases/disorders end up being diagnosed fairly quickly ('I have no idea what's wrong with this patient.'  'Wait!  I remember reading about this one case years ago in an obscure medical journal. Let's run more tests.')  The main question I had was how could the patient survive even to adulthood without someone diagnosing the 'no pain' thing?  From everything I've ever read about people who can't feel pain, they end up injuring themselves frequently as infants and children and when minor injuries such as mild burns and cuts go untreated they can become infected and can lead to more problems and even major scarring.  

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, BooksRule said:

The main question I had was how could the patient survive even to adulthood without someone diagnosing the 'no pain' thing?  From everything I've ever read about people who can't feel pain, they end up injuring themselves frequently as infants and children and when minor injuries such as mild burns and cuts go untreated they can become infected and can lead to more problems and even major scarring.  

This.  She kept saying she "scrapes" that place on her stomach "all the time."  WTF?  That was a huge, oozing, gross wound she had....certainly, she must have thought to go to the doctor at some point if she "scraped" it "all the time."    That was so gross and so big, I can't imagine she would have been la-la-la about it, especially since it probably smelled.

To say that this never came up before in her whole life is ridiculous.  Then they also want us to believe her father, who also didn't feel pain, also never had this come up. 

Edited by izabella
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

The trio of judgement that are April, Choi and Natalie can exit stage left. I loved Dr. Charles immediately checking Choi with “This isn’t child abuse”, seeing as he and his woman were itching to call CPS. Dr. Marcel maybe a little arrogant at times, but he takes his patients deaths personally. Even the nurses knew he would be upset by his patient dying. Sit down Sharon he was trying to figure out what he missed so that he could give her parents a valid explanation as to how she died. 

Dr. Marcel needs to schedule an appointment with Dr. Charles STAT! First he wanted to torture himself with April, now he’s crushing on Natalie. Obviously he’s trying to punish himself by going after the two most insufferable women in the ED. Let me guess Will and the OBGYN who overdosed will be an item by the end of the season. 

I understand not being able to feel pain, but didn’t the patient at least smell the infection? I’m confused by how she didn’t notice that her cut was infected, by just looking at it.
 

Edited by spunky
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, spunky said:

I understand not being able to feel pain, but didn’t the patient at least smell the infection? I’m confused by how she didn’t notice that her cut was infected, by just looking at it.

Yeah, this did not make any sense at all. I could dismiss it if, say, the lesion was on her back, but something that ugly in plain sight should definitely have sounded an alarm in her brain.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

This show is getting more ridiculous by the week.

How does Nataloon pull some weird rare diagnosis out of the blue?  It's not like this is something that an ER doctor would see everyday like pneumonia or appendicitis.  Yeah, right, just ridiculous.

Of course the woman that OD'd is the never before seen OBGYN at the hospital that Will works at.  And Will can't say anything because it would bring him down as well too.  

I get that Dr. Charles is one of the central figures of this show, but does every single patient somehow have a psych need that makes him so involved?

Sad for the kid with the rage issues.  How heart wrenching for the parents.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, statsgirl said:

To be fair, you don't hire Jessy Schram for a bit role .

Are we expecting her to be Halstead's love interest for this season who he eventually dumps for Natalie like he did Dr. Nina?

I laughed at Dr. Charles telling Choi that this isn't a case of child abuse because you know that Choi was totally going to call the authorities on the parents.

This is very true. Plus, the fact that the show needs another surgeon character and Jessy is from Chicago. 

I think she might be the new love interest for Will. They're going to hate each other so much that they become smitten with one another. And since I'm so sick of Will and Nat on and off again, I could care less if Ascher is the one Will falls for.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

This is very true. Plus, the fact that the show needs another surgeon character and Jessy is from Chicago. 

I think she might be the new love interest for Will. They're going to hate each other so much that they become smitten with one another. And since I'm so sick of Will and Nat on and off again, I could care less if Ascher is the one Will falls for.

Rhodes & Bekker 2.0? How exciting...with a side of hysterical, jealous Nutjob Natalie thrown in. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have no idea who Jessy whatshername is.  Not recognizable to me at all.  Just don't see how they get Will and this woman together.  If anything, it will be constant fighting and antagonizing each other, with Will acting all self-righteous all the time.  The only way the two of them smash is if Will starts shooting up himself and they both teeter on that dangerous fence together.

Crockett - he cost that woman her life.  When they were bringing in the x-ray, he said "No, there's no time, let's go."  A flat abdominal x-ray in an unknown trauma situation is a must.  The woman had multiple points of injury.  An x-ray would have taken seconds, now that everything is digital and you can see the image immediately.  It's not as if they would have to take the film cassette and send off to Kodak to get developed.  Had an x-ray been done, he would have seen the bullet immediately.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Crockett - he cost that woman her life.  When they were bringing in the x-ray, he said "No, there's no time, let's go."  A flat abdominal x-ray in an unknown trauma situation is a must.  The woman had multiple points of injury.  An x-ray would have taken seconds, now that everything is digital and you can see the image immediately.  It's not as if they would have to take the film cassette and send off to Kodak to get developed.  Had an x-ray been done, he would have seen the bullet immediately.

Same thought here. Every time on every show the initial exam in an ER always appears to be chaotic. I often wonder what is the protocol for assessing a critical patient IRL.  I agree Crockett's "shortcut" cost that woman her life. Perhaps one of the ER assistants will expose that fact and Crockett will face some serious charges.

Also, when a patient dies in a hospital isn't there a formal review process for investigation/discussion of the case?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Found this cute video that all the doctors at ChiMed should watch:

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, preeya said:

Same thought here. Every time on every show the initial exam in an ER always appears to be chaotic. I often wonder what is the protocol for assessing a critical patient IRL.  I agree Crockett's "shortcut" cost that woman her life. Perhaps one of the ER assistants will expose that fact and Crockett will face some serious charges.

 

That would be nice, but no one in this show every gets charged with anything...I mean Nutjob Natalie kidnapped a child and forcibly administered medication and ended up somehow getting praised for it.

Crockett will be fine.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I thought that they were going to give some explanation for why the boy had such an impulse control problem, maybe fetal alcohol syndrome.  FAS can be a difficult thing for adoptive parents.

Will was right to be worried but true to himself, he handled it badly. Getting hysterical and antagonizing a drug addict is always the best way. Not.

12 hours ago, Guildford said:

Rhodes & Bekker 2.0? How exciting...with a side of hysterical, jealous Nutjob Natalie thrown in. 

I know, right?  They totally trashed Rhodes in the storyline and I ended up hating them both. Hey! Let's do it again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2020 at 9:28 PM, preeya said:

Yeah, this did not make any sense at all. I could dismiss it if, say, the lesion was on her back, but something that ugly in plain sight should definitely have sounded an alarm in her brain.

It was an opening to her intestine, wasn’t it? Wouldn’t 💩 leak out?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/6/2020 at 9:28 PM, preeya said:

Yeah, this did not make any sense at all. I could dismiss it if, say, the lesion was on her back, but something that ugly in plain sight should definitely have sounded an alarm in her brain.

Exactly! Are we to believe that she was too busy being a working, single mom to notice?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, statsgirl said:

I laughed at Dr. Charles telling Choi that this isn't a case of child abuse because you know that Choi was totally going to call the authorities on the parents.

He should have.  Marks on a kid are an automatic report.  I understand that the Dad had reasons for doing what he did, but that's not Dr. Charles' call to make.  And CPS would have likely removed the one boy from the home to protect the other, which would have made a lot of the rest of the drama unnecessary.

16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It was an opening to her intestine, wasn’t it? Wouldn’t 💩 leak out?

Where it was on her stomach what would come out would be more liquid than solid.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

CPS may have been called and in the end the older child was removed from the home.

The difference is that Choi would have reported it as the father was abusing the children and the older boy was protecting his younger brother because Choi had decided that was the situation without getting the facts. In that case, both boys would have been removed from the home and it may have taken the parents a court battle to prove they weren't abusing the kids and get the younger one back causing him even more trauma while the older one may have attacked other people in the foster home.  Previous medical reports don't always work to help people get their kids back as the wheels of child protective agencies grind slowly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The difference is that Choi would have reported it as the father was abusing the children and the older boy was protecting his younger brother because Choi had decided that was the situation without getting the facts

It's not the job of the mandated reporter to prove or disprove what's going on.  I've had to make calls that I knew were specious because I'm violating the law if I don't.  

That said, I think this is the first time I've ever seen DMDD mentioned on TV, so that was cool.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, starri said:

That said, I think this is the first time I've ever seen DMDD mentioned on TV, so that was cool.

Didn't L&O have a similar story line that resulted in a child killing another child?  The kid ended up getting off without being charged and as the kid walked away from the prosecutor, she had the scariest look in her eyes.

Share this post


Link to post

 I thought of a L&U episode too, but not the one you're thinking of.  That was Killerz and is a classic.  There's another one, the title of which I don't immediately know, where this couple has adopted a child, then another child after, both who had suffered horrible abuse and neglect prior to the adoption.  The older child (about 4 or 5) killed the younger, smaller child, and was found to have something like that, although they called it something different then, I think.  Same outcome--though the adoptive parents did everything they could to help the child, they couldn't care for him.  Of course, the other child was already gone, so... (Being L&O there were twists after that, but the early plot matched this episode of CM.)

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, Ailianna said:

There's another one, the title of which I don't immediately know, where this couple has adopted a child, then another child after, both who had suffered horrible abuse and neglect prior to the adoption.  The older child (about 4 or 5) killed the younger, smaller child, and was found to have something like that, although they called it something different then, I think.

From what I remember, the older child did NOT kill the younger, who had some eating disorder; that had it been disclosed to the adoptive parents, could have been managed and his/her death avoided. The older child was found looking down at the body so the initial assumption was that the had killed his sibling.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size