Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Curse Words

• Start Topic

ALTERED FATES – Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) and Mel (Melonie Diaz) fear Jordan’s (Jordan Donica) curse is alive and well. Macy (Madeleine Mantock) and Harry (Rupert Evans) confront unspoken feelings. Poppy Drayton also stars.  Doug Aarniokoski directed the episode written by Aziza Aba Butain and Joey Falco (#210).

So, the story about the ghost witch and Jordan's cursed family was kind of interesting. If only the episode had focused on that and jettisoned the other plots. This show is still biting off way more than it can chew. Why does it need all three sisters to have their own story every week? I'm so tired of Abigail popping up, can't we be done with her? I've lost track of her story anyway and I don't have a strong grasp of what she's doing anymore. 

And the thing with Mel and her dad feels like a retread of what they did with Prue and her dad back in the original series, where she had all this resentment against him when he came back into her life, but then he redeemed himself by saving her from peril.  

Every week the sisters start out together, then discover some new crisis only to have the three of them go running off in separate directions. I don't get it. When they need to work together the most is when they tend to split up.

• Love 3

I liked the Jordan plot best. I have a feeling like he'll need to save 25 witches in order to get rid of the curse, so we'll be seeing more from him.

I also think that Abigael is acting this way with Harry so she can find out where the Source is. He may not give it up easily, but she seems like she wants to get back into his head and find out where the pieces are so she can do whatever it is that she wants to do.

The people who took the black amber are probably working for Julian. Whether this means he's a demon or a regular human who is into the supernatural remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Every week the sisters start out together, then discover some new crisis only to have the three of them go running off in separate directions. I don't get it. When they need to work together the most is when they tend to split up.

The synopsis for episode 12 seems like all of the sisters will be working together, so I'm excited to see that.

Spoiler

WHAT THE HEART DESIRES - A mysterious SOS call from Whitelighter Helen (guest star Azura Skye) draws Harry (Rupert Evans), Mel (Melonie Diaz), Macy (Madeleine Mantock) and Maggie (Sarah Jeffrey) into a perilous conflict with Darklighter Helen. In an attempt to reignite the Power of Three, Macy resorts to drastic measures. Jeff Byrd directed the episode written by Johanna Lee & Jessica O’Toole & Amy Rardin (#212). Original airdate 2/7/2020.

Wow, what has happened to the people who used to watch this show?

10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So, the story about the ghost witch and Jordan's cursed family was kind of interesting. If only the episode had focused on that and jettisoned the other plots. 

That pretty much summed up what I thought of this episode.

I'm liking Jordan and it was nice payoff to see him finally finding out that Maggie was a witch.  

But the other two subplots were just tedious and I ended up doing other stuff while it was playing in the background.

Mel's dad is just so boring.  I hardly even understood the plot because I was zoned out.  Are the people chasing him just regular humans?  How did he think he would survive on his own without magic?  Where did he get that black powder from?  

I'm done with Abigail and her "surprise" manipulations.  The whole Macy/Harry/New Guy/Abigail quadrangle is irritating.  I thought Macy/Harry had potential, but they both came off as unlikeable, and it's not a good idea to make 2 of the 4 main cast members unlikeable.  

20 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I think they figured out that it kind of sucks.

21 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Where did he get that black powder from?  

It was in their headquarters & he stole it.

I'm still watching. I enjoyed the Jordan plot; I like how the show is doing a slow burn thing with him and Maggie (if they're even going in a romantic direction at all; sometimes it seems like they are, and sometimes it doesn't). I liked that she told him she was a witch instead of trying to explain the episode's events some other way. The Parker fight was enough in that department. I think there's potential here for him to help the girls while righting his family's wrongs, and I like the character, so I'm good with all that.

Mel and her dad was... fine, I guess. I liked the confirmation that he knew Maggie wasn't his. Like others here, I was wondering last week if the writers had forgotten about that. I liked that the situation around him leaving the family was more nuanced than they thought. He isn't a great guy by any means, but that's fine (from a story perspective -- better than some sappy instant redemption). I wouldn't mind seeing him occasionally.

Macy and Harry need to grow up. The writers need to make Abigael fun again. That whole storyline was a drag. I'm assuming that Harry and Dark Harry will eventually be merged into one complex individual and then Macy will want to be with him, and they should just get to that point already instead of drawing out this passive-aggressive nonsense.

I'd like to see Abi stick around because she is (was) fun, but I don't know how the writers could make her work long-term, especially once this triangle crap is resolved.

• Love 3

I'd like to see Abi stick around because she is (was) fun, but I don't know how the writers could make her work long-term, especially once this triangle crap is resolved.

Abigael was fun at first, and had potential, but they did way too many flip-flops with her. First she's helping then she plotting against them. Lather, rinse, repeat ad nauseum. And now I've lost track of who's side she's one. I guess she's on whichever side helps her at the moment but that makes it hard to follow or care about her.

The other problem is the whole story with the demons being after witches kind of got dropped for awhile and now I don't know where that stands either. This show is just so damn unfocused I have no confidence it knows where it's going. 

The whole reason they had to fake their own deaths and hide out in Seattle was because someone hired a darklighter assassin to kill them, right? Which turned out to be Dark Harry. But he's gone now, sort of, and did we ever find out who hired him? Are they even trying to find out anymore? 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Abigael was fun at first, and had potential, but they did way too many flip-flops with her. First she's helping then she plotting against them. Lather, rinse, repeat ad nauseum. And now I've lost track of who's side she's one. I guess she's on whichever side helps her at the moment but that makes it hard to follow or care about her.

They just keep reusing the Cole plot, they did the same thing with Parker.

I still watch and its fine that each sister has their own plot but we dont need all 3 to focus on some supernatural element, especially if they dont all come together by the end to unite as one. 

The witch hunter storyline or whatever couldve been expanded upon and they did a good job of making it creepy. 

Did anyone else wonder why Jordan's girlfriend Lola was not present for his 26th birthday? Last we saw her, she was storming off from a study session because Jordan was preoccupied with Maggie and extolling her virtues. However, as far as we know he and Lola never broke up. It made no sense for her not to be at his birthday bash other than it was lazy writing in service of the plot so that Maggie and Jordan could interact without any obstacles.

Also, did anyone notice the plane ticket to Denver that Julian purchased for Macy read "Macy Flores?" She was Macy Vaughn all of season one. What are these new writers smoking? That's pretty pathetic if you can't keep the surname of one of your principle characters and the series lead straight from one season to the next in just two seasons. 

On 1/25/2020 at 10:53 PM, Camera One said:

I presume they left in droves. I know I came very close to canceling my season pass on more than on occasion this season as the post-reboot episodes have dragged on and literally put me to sleep on three occasions.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:38 PM, Cranberry said:

Macy and Harry need to grow up. The writers need to make Abigael fun again. That whole storyline was a drag. I'm assuming that Harry and Dark Harry will eventually be merged into one complex individual and then Macy will want to be with him, and they should just get to that point already instead of drawing out this passive-aggressive nonsense.

I liked Poppy Drayton well enough in The Shannara Chronicles, but her character Abigael is not working at all for me here. The plot around her seems quite aimless, other than creating an impediment in the Macy/Harry romance. The last reason I tune into these kinds of shows is for the love triangles and quadrangles, and I really wish these CW shows would can it with that soap opera melodrama. 

I suspect Abi is playing the long con here and trying to win over Harry's trust, but to what end I do not know.

Edited by Rahul
6 hours ago, Rahul said:

Also, did anyone notice the plane ticket to Denver that Julian purchased for Macy read "Macy Flores?" She was Macy Vaughn all of season one.

Macy Vaughn is "dead," so I'd assume she's going by a new name now. I can't remember if she told him a full name on screen, though. (Interestingly, Tessa Flores-Cohen was the full name of their temporary Harry Replacement Whitelighter who ended up dying, so perhaps Macy chose her name as a tribute.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Macy Vaughn is "dead," so I'd assume she's going by a new name now. I can't remember if she told him a full name on screen, though. (Interestingly, Tessa Flores-Cohen was the full name of their temporary Harry Replacement Whitelighter who ended up dying, so perhaps Macy chose her name as a tribute.)

Ahh yes, good point!

Oh my god Harry, Harry, oh my God, Oh my God, Harry, you're do dumb. How are you this dumb? How have you survived 60 years of demon fighting when a pretty demon girl can make a sad face at you and you just take her at her word for everything? How are you this dumb? How have you or any of the witches under your protection survived at all? 

This episode just aired where I am, so that's why this is out of continuity with the rest of the forum.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, Speakeasy said:

Oh my god Harry, Harry, oh my God, Oh my God, Harry, you're do dumb. How are you this dumb? How have you survived 60 years of demon fighting when a pretty demon girl can make a sad face at you and you just take her at her word for everything? How are you this dumb? How have you or any of the witches under your protection survived at all? 

This episode just aired where I am, so that's why this is out of continuity with the rest of the forum.

Harry really was kinda stupid, lol.  I loved all the angst but lawd Harry come ON!