Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Back From the Future - Part 1

Trini
  • Start Topic

The Legionnaires are a bunch of 30th Century super-heroes who have ships that can travel through time and flight rings. In at least a comics version of the Legion, Supergirl was a semi-regular member, and she was at least for a time dating Brainy.

Thank you, Chicago Redshirt! It increasingly feels like the show expects its audience to be comic book savvy and watch all their other DC shows too. (To be fair, the bulk of them probably do, and I'm the rare exception. It doesn't bode well for building an audience though.)

One other question . . . is Supergirl still alive in the 30th century? Do Kryptonians live thousands of years? From what I can remember everyone who has traveled back to the present time (including Mon-El) has been cagey about revealing whether or not Supergirl is still alive in their time. We know she's famous in their time but unless I've missed it, they haven't said whether she's still alive.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Thank you, Chicago Redshirt! It increasingly feels like the show expects its audience to be comic book savvy and watch all their other DC shows too. (To be fair, the bulk of them probably do, and I'm the rare exception. It doesn't bode well for building an audience though.)

One other question . . . is Supergirl still alive in the 30th century? Do Kryptonians live thousands of years? From what I can remember everyone who has traveled back to the present time (including Mon-El) has been cagey about revealing whether or not Supergirl is still alive in their time. We know she's famous in their time but unless I've missed it, they haven't said whether she's still alive.

No. In the comics, she has visited and worked with the Legion in the 30th/31st Century via time-travel (up until the comics Crisis on Infinite Earths, she and Superman could travel through time under their own power by simply flying faster than light in either along direction of the Earth's rotation -- to reach the future -- or against the direction of the Earth's rotation -- to reach the past). She and Superman are not still alive in the time of the Legion. They're simply the most well-known historical figures in the Legion's time. And the show has yet to show either Supergirl or Superman traveling through time that way, so neither has actually been to the Legion's time yet in the show (that we know of).

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Just to add a little to the correct answer above, comics and cartoons have played it somewhat fast and loose as to the question of what is the natural lifespan of a powered Kryptonian, exactly? The answer seems to be whatever the writers feel like saying.

We've seen alternate futures where Superman essentially looks like he's still 30ish or sometimes has a little gray in his hair even though he's more like 100. On the other hand, DC had an event some time ago in which the Superman we all know and love lived up through like the 853rd Century. 

But in the comics/cartoons, Superboy (the one who was a teen-aged version of Clark Kent) and Supergirl got to the Legion's future by either flying there or using a time machine, rather than just living an extra 1000+ years.

• Useful 2
On 1/28/2020 at 6:55 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

In the context of the show, I think it is the nickname that what otherwise might be called Team Supergirl. So short-hand for Martian Manhunter, Brainy, Dreamer and Alex, currently.

Originally, it was the nickname for the folks who were in on Kara's identity, so Kara, Alex, Winn, and James (Hank later, after he revealed himself as MM).  Now, if we're to believe the sigils on the Tower signal panel, it's the sort-of Justice League: Kara, MM, Dreamer, Brainy, plus Flash and Batwoman (no Black Lightning although there's another spot on that panel), with Alex as a highly capable "extra," I guess.  Incidentally, Marc Guggenheim has said on Twitter that they are absolutely NOT allowed to use the term "Justice League".  I don't know if that's DC setting a hard-and-fast rule, or just that DC wants an unobtainable pile of money to license it. That makes me think that 4 or 5 years ago, they might have been able to use Wonder Woman for cheap.... no chance of that now!

On 1/28/2020 at 3:33 PM, iMonrey said:

So is Winn going to be in Part 2 as well? If he thinks everything has been fixed why didn't he rush back home to his family, instead of hanging around for game night?

Can someone explain to me who exactly the Legionnaires are and who the Superfriends are? Thanks.

Sometimes I think this show has just gotten way too complicated for me to follow. 

I agree.

It has.

I just have to accept what they say, even if I don't think it always makes great sense.

I was glad to see Winn.  Hope he can continue to have a big role.

I'm tired of the different personas Brainy plays, they're too predictable, whichever way they lean.

Edited by nuraman00
22 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

I agree.

It has.

I just have to accept what they say, even if I don't think it always makes great sense.

I was glad to see Winn.  Hope he can continue to have a big role.

I'm tired of the different personas Brainy plays, they're too predictable, whichever way they lean.

If it makes you feel any better, I watch the other four Arrowverse shows, but I still don’t think half the stuff they’re doing makes sense. It’s not internally consistent.