Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E15: He waha kou o ka heʻe (Yours Is the Mouth of an Octopus)

• Start Topic

When Grover’s niece Siobhan (Nia Holloway), goes missing from the police academy and it’s discovered her boyfriend is an undercover member of the Yakuza, Adam may be her only hope of rescue. The episode was directed by series star Ian Anthony Dale and co-written by series star Chi McBride.

Original Airdate: February 7, 2020

SOURCE: https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=54434

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add the episode tag.

I gotta say, I slammed last week's episode (and for good reason). Tonight was very exciting and a lot of fun!

I'm a fan of "The Librarians", so it was good to see John Harlan Kim. Almost felt sorry for him with Grover. Almost.

• Love 3

What's up with the nods between Steve and Adam after the exchange?

Why have they not yet confronted him (Adam) about his cloak & dagger actions?

The eggs scene at the end was unnecessary.

1 hour ago, preeya said:

Why have they not yet confronted him (Adam) about his cloak & dagger actions?

I can't prove it now but I'll catch you later?

• Love 1

Not a fan of Danny's hair.  Danny and Steve's friendship felt stronger in the earlier seasons.  I really wish they would allow Danny to be more than the complainer.

If your going to do the girl dies, then there should be more followup with the team and Steve. 

Parts I liked, some parts not so much.

Let's review:

Adam sucks at being going undercover. 

Adam sucks at his job.

Adam sucks at being sneaky.

I will give him credit that at least his plan worked. And the bad guy bought Adam's tough-guy routine. 

But they're willing to shrug off everything that happened because the kid hacked the HPD? And Danny, the one who's suspicious of everyone, isn't even a little curious about Adam's strange behavior?

Thank goodness at least Steve and Lou are a little suspicious.

But seriously, they have to figure out who Adam is, right? Is he a bad guy with a heart of gold? Is he yakuza going undercover at H5-0, or is he H5-0 going undercover with the yakuza?

The plot and pacing this week, at least, was a nail-biter and had everyone working together to figure stuff out, so I did like that part, at least. I mean, how long has it been since Danny both appeared on the show and was active in the current investigation?

• Love 1

Danny is apart of a hit and run a woman dies and not one mention of the driver. Did I care for the storyline or the lady no but I also dont like loose ends.

Wasnt Grover's niece first I  Hawaii and for a basketball scholarship? Did I miss the part where she decided she wants to be a cop.

Is there a reason the writers hate Adam because there isnt a single thing he doesnt screw up 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

But seriously, they have to figure out who Adam is, right? Is he a bad guy with a heart of gold? Is he yakuza going undercover at H5-0, or is he H5-0 going undercover with the yakuza?

1 hour ago, notcreative enough said:

Wasn't Grover's niece first I  Hawaii and for a basketball scholarship? Did I miss the part where she decided she wants to be a cop.

↑ This and this ↑

• Love 1
1 hour ago, notcreative enough said:

Wasnt Grover's niece first I  Hawaii and for a basketball scholarship? Did I miss the part where she decided she wants to be a cop.

She was because that's what her father was pushing  her to do.  There was some big scene where she took off and Grover caught up to her.  She told him all she ever wanted to be was a cop and she wasn't interested in the basketball scholarship.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, UncleChuck said:

Congratulations Bonnie!  Now that you have endured your first abduction, you are an official member of the 5-0 "family".  Or is it "ohuna"?

Hopefully it will be 5-0.  Judging by Adam and Lou's apartments they must pay extremely well.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Just my 2 cents said:

Hopefully it will be 5-0.  Judging by Adam and Lou's apartments they must pay extremely well.

Well Captain Grover is double dipping HPD retirement and 5-0 pay. As for Adam how being a Yakuza crown prince, even inactive, enriched him is complicated 

So, Chi McBride had writing credits for this episode (making sure he got some scenery chewing in there - good for him) and Ian Anthony Dale was directing. I think they both did a good job. The pacing was good. Neither of them can fix the issues currently plaguing the show - which have already been listed here.

I had a soft spot for Ezekiel and keep hoping for John Harlan Kim to snatch a regular gig somewhere again - no such luck yet ☹️

Are the writers stuck on the family/team member abduction/hostage storyline?  Let’s see how many times they have gone to that well:

Lou’s niece 

Grace - twice (or thrice if you count when her troop was locked in a storage shed)

Lou’s daughter 

Lou’s son - sort of (trapped in the building when the school dance was taken over)

Danny’s brother

Steve’s sister 

Duke’s granddaughter

Chin Ho’s wife

Chin Ho’s niece 

I think Junior’s ex-girlfriend, Tani’s brother and Max’s girlfriend  should be added to the list, but not quite sure if my memory is correct on those.

And, of course, the eleventy-seven thousand times an actual Five-0 member or member-adjacent person (Noelani, Kamekona, etc.) has been held.  And two more next week.

Have I missed any?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I had a soft spot for Ezekiel and keep hoping for John Harlan Kim to snatch a regular gig somewhere again - no such luck yet ☹️

Sigh. I loved that show. I miss it so much.

If you're a cast member of 5-0, and you're not at some point tied to a chair with a bad guy looming over you with a menacing look on their face, they just don't love you enough. 

If you're keeping score, they love Adam the most.

PREDICTION: At some point the bad guys are going to get mad at Adam and ABD*CT him. And the team will have to race against time to save him.

Taking suggestions as to where and how they will hold him captive.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

If you're keeping score, they love Adam the most.

PREDICTION: At some point the bad guys are going to get mad at Adam and ABD*CT him. And the team will have to race against time to save him.

Maybe it will be like in season 8 when they threw him in an old train cargo box and he woke up covered in ants.  Surprisingly, he had no ant bite welts.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

Congratulations Bonnie!  Now that you have endured your first abduction, you are an official member of the 5-0 "family".  Or is it "ohuna"?

Regarding the bolded: It’s ʻohana. As also in “ʻOhana means ‘family’. ‘Family’ means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.”

• Love 2

When having a secret meeting with somebody you don't want to be seen with, it's probably not a good idea to meet in a room with the curtains wide open. Unfortunately for Grover's niece, the academy apparently hadn't gotten to the class that covered proper surveillance techniques. On the other hand, luckily for her, the bad guys had really amazing cell phone service in the middle of the jungle.

• Love 2

So a police cadet decides to check up on her boyfriend who she knows is doing something shady. And is surprised she got caught???? Geez louse, I’m glad she was okay in the end but damn was that stupid!

and still no fallout from Danny’s accident. Are they ever going to address it or was it just forgotten as soon as he offered his condolences to her sister?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

and still no fallout from Danny’s accident. Are they ever going to address it or was it just forgotten as soon as he offered his condolences to her sister?

The only way I can see this will come back is if she lured him.

I think emotionally he needs counseling, and not the funny marriage counseling with Steve. 

He literally knew her one day, but it does just seem like a weird story choice for Danny. I mean, why? They just have him meet a woman he likes, she dies in his arms, and they just forget it happened?

It makes no sense that this accident will have no lasting repercussions on Danny or his life. If it was just so Danny could have a compelling story away from the team, that seems rather drastic. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

So a police cadet decides to check up on her boyfriend who she knows is doing something shady. And is surprised she got caught???? Geez louse, I’m glad she was okay in the end but damn was that stupid!

I, make that Tani in giving advice was thinking shady as in a side piece. The audience had the advantage of knowing Yakuza 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, preeya said:

I took it as Steve saying "You got the girl back. We're good... for now."

And Adam saying "Yeah."

Steve still suspects Adam because he (Steve) isn't an idiot, but Adam was the hero of the moment, so it wasn't the right time to bring it all up.  Adam is an idiot, so all he could think of was "Yeah."  He probably thinks Steve has somehow forgotten about the watch.

• Love 2

100% the car accident will come back up as a main focal point.  I'm not sure how long they will postpone this, but I think Danny will either see the car randomly on the road OR it'll factor into one of their case investigations.  Or maybe he takes it upon himself to dig into it on his own.  They made it a point for the woman to tell Danny the half of the license plate number she saw.  That's gotta go somewhere.

That driver deserves all of the consequences, whether he was just a distracted driver or is actually a criminal in other ways.  He caused the accident, knew a car went off the side of the road, and didn't report the accident in any way to get Danny and his lady help.  Fuck you, guy.  And I can't wait for Danny to tell him that he cost Danny the love of his life, whose name he barely found out.

This Adam storyline ... is at least better than last year's Jessie/informant storyline.  Sigh.

The Yakuza loves Color Me Badd ringtones!

Wow, Chi - over the top or what! All those tears and all that looming were a too much. Grudging kudos though to an actor who persuades a show to let him write scripts to give himself so much...well, just so much. 

The eggs McDanno moment was weird but at least the writers are still valuing the friendship and the concern at the beginning was credible. 

I'm predicting Adam will be gone at the end of the season - some self sacrificing act to save 5-0 after his idiotic actions lead him down a dead end. Can he really claim noble excuses when he's helping bury four dead bodies in the woods.

"Eggs" have always been kind of a thing, though, between Steve and Danny:  Danny says that Steve makes terrible eggs early on in the seasons, in kind of a throwaway line; later, when they were at the Military Surplus store, Danny finds a giant tin of dehydrated eggs and points out that those eggs would be better than McGarrett's eggs; Danny nearly burns down Steve's house with a frittata when he's house sitting when Steve is on deployment; Steve makes microwaved eggs when they were doing that stake-out in the old cat lady's apartment and apparently stunk up the place.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but "eggs" has always been a running joke the writers have used throughout the seasons.  I'm glad to see them continuing that tradition!

• Love 2
On 2/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, sweetandsour said:

That driver deserves all of the consequences, whether he was just a distracted driver or is actually a criminal in other ways.

Maybe the driver will turn out to be tied to the Yakuza somehow!  🙂 

On 2/8/2020 at 5:51 AM, notcreative enough said:

No, she did want to be a cop. That was at the end of that episode.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:40 AM, Roselle said:

I'm predicting Adam will be gone at the end of the season - some self sacrificing act to save 5-0 after his idiotic actions lead him down a dead end.

No way. There would be no Asian leads on the show without him. The singular reason why he was promoted to lead was because the other actors left.

I'm not sure Tani is an experienced enough cop/whatever you call Five-0 to be teaching a class. Even with reasonable field experience, teaching is another skill altogether. I can't imagine the state wouldn't have training to qualify to teach cops. It seems Quinn would be way more believable.

Of course, shoot as much as you can as fast as you can is the m/o for Five-0.

I do have to laugh because it seems like Adam's scenes are all him sweaty and freaking out about something.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
On 2/8/2020 at 12:00 PM, Mittengirl said:

Are the writers stuck on the family/team member abduction/hostage storyline?

It's lazy easy writing because that let's Five-0 essentially declare martial law (more so than usual) and use the entire resources of the island at their disposal.

I happened to love the egg scene but I’m a sucker for any kind of McDanno interaction. 

My current running theory is that the Mrs. Wo Fat thing is going to somehow tie in to the yakuza since Wo Fat was initially involved with them. There will be some sort of plot that threatens Steve’s life and Adam being on the inside will lead to him being saved. Of course by this point Adam will have been found to be a double agent by the five-o group so he’ll have to fight to convince them that he is genuinely trying to help and can be trusted in a time crunching dramatic way and then the rescue will ultimately redeem him so they can cut him off from Yakuza again and rejoin him with 5-0 on good standing.