Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Chapter Twenty-Four: The Hare Moon

• Start Topic

What a great episode this was. I love how fast the plot is moving, so many interesting things happen in each one. Nick being drawn to the Dark Lord is still as adorable as ever, and these pagan witches are fascinating as hell. I don't really see why they have to be antagonistic to our witches other than for plot reasons, like they already lost their Dark Lord can't you just leave them alone and enjoy your growing power in peace? So weird.

I did notice that the seer pagan woman put some sort of curse on Hilda too, from my basic latin skills it seems like she wants to turn Hilda into a spider so that she will understand what Spiders go through and she will be able to empathize more with them.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 1

Cannibalizing a witch. Freeing a rabbit. Makes perfect sense to me.

And the weird crap that is happening to Ms. Wardwell keeps coming.  

And Zelda and Hilda find out  Sabrina is the queen of hell because she predictably failed to tell them.   I loved the way Zelda describes Sabrina.   It’s comes from a dark but loving place.   She accepted the Queen of Hell job not because she had to but because she likes the power and up to a point that’s not a bad thing but Sabrina also has a savior complex,  

I absolutely love that both Hilda and Ambrose are concerned about what they are going to wear when they go to hell With Sabrina.  . 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I loved the way Zelda describes Sabrina.   It’s comes from a dark but loving place.   She accepted the Queen of Hell job not because she had to but because she likes the power and up to a point that’s not a bad thing but Sabrina also has a savior complex,  

I thought Zelda was way off-base there. She does not have a savior complex. It was just the only way in the moment for her to get what she wants, and Lilith was being majorly outvoted in there. Sabrina had to step in to save the situation, not because she is so power-hungry but because it was the only thing she could do to help.

I hope Nick's remarks to Sabrina at the Hare Moon were just intended to hurt rather than some kind of prediction, because presumably the 'other' is Harvey and there was zero chemistry there.

Mind you they just took out Roz (permanently?) so who knows.

Waiting for one person at the end to say "snakes, why did it have to be snakes?" but nope. Sigh.

• Love 1

Okay, cool. The carnival pagans are terrifying and I hate them.

I do like that there's a down side to turning against Satan, in that you lose your powers. It would have been too easy if they could just leave him in the basement.

I'm unsure of whether we're supposed to think Nick's demon sex scene is shocking, since it seems like BDSM is probably pretty normal within the witch world? I do find it a little bit icky that we're being asked to see this as trauma but also invited to leer at it.

• Love 2

All the strands finally came together to create the best episode of the season, thus far. I love the hell heaven out of this show, but fear for its longevity. So far Sabrina has already tackled Lucifer, king of hell and it looks like deities of the ancient pagan pantheon are next. Where do they go from here?

• Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 12:57 PM, Harvey said:

Nick being drawn to the Dark Lord is still as adorable as ever

Wait...are we supposed to see Nick as being romantically drawn to the Dark Lord? Because that is not at all how I interpreted those scenes. I thought Nick was drawn to the Dark Lord because he wants to get violent revenge on the guy who raped him for what felt like decades. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Rockstar99435 said:

Wait...are we supposed to see Nick as being romantically drawn to the Dark Lord? Because that is not at all how I interpreted those scenes. I thought Nick was drawn to the Dark Lord because he wants to get violent revenge on the guy who raped him for what felt like decades. 

At the time of my first watch I got that impression, because of Dorcas + Agatha's comments and because Nick went to have sex with demons after thinking about Lucifer. (as in he got aroused by him). But now having watched and re-watched the entire season I see that was not what was intended.

Nick better be on something when he said that. As for the Harvey and Sabrina, she deserves someone better. But right now I don't know that its Nick either. Why are all her love interests quick to blame Sabrina for everything?

Poor Hilda. When you tell your sister that you're getting married, the follow up question shouldn't be "Are you mad at me?" And OF COURSE Zelda has to make this all about herself and say that Hilda and Sabrina are abandoning her and their coven. Somehow it was totally fine when she was chasing after Faustus and got engaged but Hilda isn't allowed to get married. Zelda is such a selfish bitch that she can't just say, "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!"

Why is this show so obsessed with letting the cast members sing? Harvey and Sabrina aren't tone deaf but they also aren't great enough at singing that I need to hear them singing two episodes in a row.

Oh, Nick. I get the self medicating but if you can bring yourself to drink and see the sex demons, you can, I don't know, find a witch therapist or something a little more constructive?

His attitude toward Sabrina seemed to come out of nowhere. One minute he shows up at the hare moon ritual all contrite and the next minute he's telling her that she wasn't worth being tortured by Lucifer. I really hope he's just lashing out but at this point, I don't know what's going on with him.

I didn't fully understand why the pagan witches were so intent on destroying the satantic witches. The coven is powerless so what threat are they to the pagans?

On the one hand, I can understand the pagans being upset by a lot of the things that the satanic witches do (keeping animals as pets, killing a snake when humans invaded its home) but at the same time, have they never encountered any non-pagans? Because stuff like that has been pretty par for the course for centuries  are they horrified enough by regular humans to want to kill them too?

The other thing I didn’t understand is that it doesn’t seem like it’s a secret that when the old gods return, they aren’t exactly going to see humans as their equals so why would the pagans want them to return? Do they want to be subservient to the old gods or are they delusional enough yo think that they will be rewarded?

I also want to know more about their powers. They made the moon disappear using blood magic and the snake charmer can turn people to stone. The source of magical power for Sabrina’s coven is the Dark Lord’s angelic powers (which he can apparently turn on and off like a faucet to any coven). Do the pagans get their power from an angel or the old gods or what?

And what would happen if Sabrina’s coven used blood magic? Would it free them from needing Faustus as a source? If they kill Faustus, would all the witches in the world lose their power? 

And OF COURSE Dorian couldn't resist drinking the angel blood in the hopes of clearing up his skin. I guess that fleur du mal plan didn't work out for him?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Poor Hilda. When you tell your sister that you're getting married, the follow up question shouldn't be "Are you mad at me?" And OF COURSE Zelda has to make this all about herself and say that Hilda and Sabrina are abandoning her and their coven. Somehow it was totally fine when she was chasing after Faustus and got engaged but Hilda isn't allowed to get married. Zelda is such a selfish bitch that she can't just say, "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!"

The big difference is that Zelda had her engagement in more peaceful times, while when Hilda's is happening the coven is in grave danger, out of power, defenceless.

I didn't fully understand why the pagan witches were so intent on destroying the satantic witches. The coven is powerless so what threat are they to the pagans?

It's explained in later episodes.

Spoiler

Witch blood is great food for their green god to help it with growth.

The other thing I didn’t understand is that it doesn’t seem like it’s a secret that when the old gods return, they aren’t exactly going to see humans as their equals so why would the pagans want them to return? Do they want to be subservient to the old gods

Yes. Very much so.

The source of magical power for Sabrina’s coven is the Dark Lord’s angelic powers (which he can apparently turn on and off like a faucet to any coven). Do the pagans get their power from an angel or the old gods or what?

Those of the pagans who use magic: Pan, Medusa and Circe are all magical creatures (Pan is referred to as a God) with their own innate source of magic.

Spoiler

But later on it is alluded that the green god strengthens their power considerably.

13 hours ago, Harvey said:

The big difference is that Zelda had her engagement in more peaceful times, while when Hilda's is happening the coven is in grave danger, out of power, defenceless.

People still fall in love and get married during times of war and violence, so I thought it was really insensitive and dismissive of Zelda to react the way she did to Hilda's news.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Not that I'm complaining, exactly, but the gratuitous male shirtlessness in this show cracks me up. The episode opened with Harvey and Roz making out, and Harvey is wearing only his boxer shorts while Roz is fully clothed. WTH. Did she come over at night and get him up out of bed? And he didn't bother putting on any pants at least? If they weren't going to do it then and there why was he only in his underwear?

Cut to Nick getting out of the shower draped only in a towel. Then cut to Nick down in the dungeons waiting for Sabrina and her aunts to leave so he could beat up Lucifer. Then when he goes into the dungeon and starts hitting him he's suddenly shirtless. For no reason.

We got quite a gander at Ambrose in his boxer briefs too. It makes me wonder who this is all for.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Not that I'm complaining, exactly, but the gratuitous male shirtlessness in this show cracks me up. The episode opened with Harvey and Roz making out, and Harvey is wearing only his boxer shorts while Roz is fully clothed. WTH. Did she come over at night and get him up out of bed? And he didn't bother putting on any pants at least? If they weren't going to do it then and there why was he only in his underwear?

Cut to Nick getting out of the shower draped only in a towel. Then cut to Nick down in the dungeons waiting for Sabrina and her aunts to leave so he could beat up Lucifer. Then when he goes into the dungeon and starts hitting him he's suddenly shirtless. For no reason.

We got quite a gander at Ambrose in his boxer briefs too. It makes me wonder who this is all for.

Well, this show was created by an openly gay man. I have noticed that all the male leads that are supposed to serve as love interests--Harvey, Caliban, Nick and to soem extent Lucifer--have the same toned twinkish body aesthetic. RAS and his casting director certainly do have a type.

• Useful 3

Eat a witch, set a bunny free. I dont know Sabrina, I think that totally tracks! You do it because its a tradition and...thats what we do! 

The pagan carnival folk and the witches complaining about each other at the picnic was so hilariously petty. "Ugh who invented the pagan/satanic witches to the party, those guys are the worst!" So why exactly are the carnival people going after the witches? If the hate them so much, why dont they just breeze out of town and go to the next place? Are these the first people they've ever met you kept pets and killed a snake? Is that why they kill people? Maybe just move on then, I am positive that they will have plenty of crazy to soak up in Riverdale right down the road!

Nick is clearly really hurting, and apparently the coven doesent have an on staff therapist, so I guess resorting to demon sex and dark lord is the next best thing. I am guessing he was just lashing out at Sabrina, but damn. 

On the plus side, everyone looked super cute in their white! On the minus side, can we not with the random musical numbers? We had one last season, but that was actually plot relevant, the ones this season just seem so random. 

• Love 1

Something I don't get is the show's insistence on the Dark Lord and his creator as newer usurpers to the old gods of antiquity. Even in the real world that's probably only true from a Eurocentric perspective, as I believe worship of Yahweh in the Middle East goes back to the late Bronze Age similar to the Greek myths the pagans draw on. But in the context of the show we've literally seen a flashback to Lilith—the first woman—wandering after being kicked out of the Garden of Eden. And the pagan deities sure didn't have worship established in the Americas first if that's where Satan landed after his fall and ran across her.