Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network in the Media

• Start Topic

You could see there was a fair amount of distance in the presentations between Adam and Debbie and the others and that's obviously because they've been on TV almost continuously since their early seasons.  I also think Adam intentionally did that thing with the egg separation for the sake of competition.  He has his own successful sausage business and also hosts a lot of shows so why would he want to be on Next Food Network star again?  At this point, he more successful in the media than the two who finished ahead of him in his season, Lisa and Aaron.

Since when did One Note become a detriment?  Jeff Mauro went through his entire season making Sandwiches and not only did he win, he's hosting a morning Food Network show.  I'd personally love to see a show devoted to Asian cooking as opposed to another devoted to Southern cooking, several of which are already on this show.

• Love 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

Since when did One Note become a detriment?  Jeff Mauro went through his entire season making Sandwiches and not only did he win, he's hosting a morning Food Network show.  I'd personally love to see a show devoted to Asian cooking as opposed to another devoted to Southern cooking, several of which are already on this show.

I think it was her constant reference to being Korean, not preparing that food.  She did not have the gift of gab. 

Monterey pulls out nitrogen!  THAT was hysterical.  Loved Tyler’s face.  What a piece of work.  The guy with the southern accent is polished.  I don’t think Raku is going to lose the rehearsed spiel. 

5 minutes ago, Maya said:

Why does Amy always look like such a disheveled mess? Brush your hair before you go on TV!!

Yes but she was the best of the bunch tonight.

Edited by Wings
4 minutes ago, Wings said:

I think it was her constant reference to being Korean, not preparing that food.  She did not have the gift of gab. 

The show has proven that narrow focus is what makes successful Food Network shows.  I think Debbie is extremely good at presentation and it is interesting that her saying she's Korean is singled out when we constantly hear people talking about being Texan, Southern, etc.

During Debbie's initial run, she reminded the viewer basically every other sentence. I think it was her delivery that was so grsting. I'm all for TH diversifying. Lord knows they need it. I'm on the west coast and have another show to watch in the 9:00 time slot, so I will assess Debbie later. Hopefully, she's improved her on-camera persona.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

The show has proven that narrow focus is what makes successful Food Network shows.  I think Debbie is extremely good at presentation and it is interesting that her saying she's Korean is singled out when we constantly hear people talking about being Texan, Southern, etc.

I don’t remember her at all.   After saying she was one note they showed a clip of her saying the same thing repeatedly and that was her reference to  being Korean.  I assumed this was the problem.

I'm on the west coast and have another show to watch in the 9:00 time slot, so I will assess Debbie later. Hopefully, she's improved her on-camera persona.

I'm on the west coast too, but my cable provider (Charter/Spectrum) shows the east coast feed on its Food Network HD channel, so I can see (or record) it at 6PM.

13 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m watching the rerun now as I didn’t know it was starting tonight. That blonde with the off-the-shoulder getup looks like she pulled her shower curtain off and ran to the studio. :)

Yet she can't decide whether the "shoulders" should be up or down.

I thought I remembered liking Jernard, but no, I remembered wrong.

It just hit me today that it should almost be time for Comeback Kitchen to start, with Food Network Star beginning next month, as usual.  I wasn't sure which thread I should comment in, so I landed here.

Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find any info on a new season of FNS!   I searched press releases that came out in February (around the time of the Winter TCA Press Tour for entertainment media).  I searched Instagram for signs of Bobby or Giada filming a new season of the show last year or early this year.   I searched a site with info on various finales of various TV series.  I came up empty-handed everywhere I checked.   Nothing about a renewal and nothing about a cancellation.   And then I came here to this forum, to see that, in another thread, it is already suspected that FNS might be over.

Food Network Star may not be returning next month, and possibly not even this year, but I tend to think that it's not gone forever.   I think that it's the sort of show that might return sometime down the road.     Since there have been some changes on the executive/corporate side of the network in the past year, and since the show was feeling a bit stale and pointless anyway, they might have decided to give it a rest for a while and then bring back a rebooted, retooled or refreshed version of it in the future (didn't 30 Minute Meals just make a comeback after a long absence?). 

I just get the sense that we have not seen the last of FNS.  But when it comes back and what it might look like if and when it comes back are the questions!   It is possible that we could hear something about it when the Summer TCA Press Tour takes place in July/August, but I would not be shocked if Food Network Star takes a break at least for this year, if not for a couple of years.

4 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

It just hit me today that it should almost be time for Comeback Kitchen to start, with Food Network Star beginning next month, as usual.  I wasn't sure which thread I should comment in, so I landed here.

Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find any info on a new season of FNS!   I searched press releases that came out in February (around the time of the Winter TCA Press Tour for entertainment media).  I searched Instagram for signs of Bobby or Giada filming a new season of the show last year or early this year.   I searched a site with info on various finales of various TV series.  I came up empty-handed everywhere I checked.   Nothing about a renewal and nothing about a cancellation.   And then I came here to this forum, to see that, in another thread, it is already suspected that FNS might be over.

It was me that brought this up in the "FNS Alums" thread.  I had the same experience - I searched the internet and found absolutely nothing to indicate either way whether this show is returning.  I took a look at last year's ratings and they were about the same as the year before, and pretty good for this network, so I can't believe that even if TPTB hated the show that they wouldn't hold their noses and put it back on.  If they find the show so insufferable that they want to stop making it in spite of that, maybe they should look for ways to improve it instead of letting it devolve into crap like they have.  But FN seems to have no problem airing crap if the ratings are OK - take "Worst Cooks in America" for example.  So I don't know what their problem is.

I've noticed that FN never outright cancels a show.  It just fades away or returns later than usual with no explanation.  Like "Valerie's Home Cooking".  That returned pretty regularly with new seasons until mid 2018, then there was a one year lapse.  I couldn't find any info. on that either and thought maybe that was just it and it was done.  But then suddenly it came back with a new season last week.  So you never know.

• Love 3

There are plenty of Fame whore wannabes out there.  I would doubt a thin applicant pool is the problem, especially since cooking skills is hardly a top priority anymore (despite Bobby Flay's potestations).   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

There are plenty of Fame whore wannabes out there.  I would doubt a thin applicant pool is the problem, especially since cooking skills is hardly a top priority anymore (despite Bobby Flay's potestations).   

I agree.  I wonder why they don't do a "celebrity edition" for this show like they did with "Worst Cooks".  Obviously their new thing is to make cooking shows starring celebs, so why not a competition between some of them on FNS?  That would definitely pull in viewers.  I'd watch that as long as they didn't make a farce out of it like they did with "Worst Cooks".

(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, cooksdelight said:

Since no recent winners got their own show, it might be a case of them not having any talent trying out for the show. I wouldn’t. 

What!? How can they even call the show "Next Food Network Star"? I usually don't like most of the contestants. It's all about their arrogance,  females looking hot, giada getting that one sexy male contestant she can drool over (and various other b.s.)

The last contestant I really liked was from several seasons ago. I forgot his name but his energy, likeability, and easy to understand cooking instructions made him the perfect win for me (I'm not a good cook) Anyway, I don't know what ethnicity he is (Hawaiian?Phillipino?) He's openly gay and I love him. So if anyone here knows who I'm referring to, let me know his name. Thanks

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Since no recent winners got their own show, it might be a case of them not having any talent trying out for the show.

If I were a chef or even a serious and skilled home cook, I wouldn't try out for what this show has devolved into because I wouldn't want to put myself through the silly stunts and be made to look foolish.  I might send a demo video to Chopped where the contestants are usually treated with respect even when they screw up.  Maybe FNS is running out of applicants who really, really, really want to be on TV.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Bobble Flay just had like 3 shows announced. FNS is dead.

Maybe FN is just going to replace him? I'd rather they just replace Giada too. I'm sick of her cleavage, her 432 teeth always on display and her fake personality.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Maybe FN is just going to replace him? I'd rather they just replace Giada too. I'm sick of her cleavage, her 432 teeth always on display and her fake personality.

Don’t forget her scraping one itty bitty bite off the fork every time.

• LOL 1

Someone needs to enlighten Bobby that when Alton left and he and Giada took over is when the show started going to hell in a handbasket.

And stop faking everything. If you’re going to have a focus group, get real people off the street, not paid actors.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Someone in the comments said she saw Flay say somewhere that they were going back to the drawing board to revamp the show, so who knows, like everything else it seems, it may come back.

I hope so.  The tasks and the judging worsened every year after Jeff Mauro's season IMO.  The first thing they need to do is get rid of Giada.  The only thing she adds is snark bait because of her outfits.  Someone who doesn't even taste the food shouldn't be judging.  I have no problem with Bobby and I suspect that his seeming lack of interest in the show was frustration over the emphasis on things other than cooking and serious presentation skills not to mention the caliber of some of the contestants.  I think there should always be three judges and I'd be happy with Tyler, Valerie and any of the Chopped judges except Aaron.  Clinton Kelly might be another good choice.  He's amusing and good-natured and he knows food and how to present on TV.  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Someone needs to enlighten Bobby that when Alton left and he and Giada took over is when the show started going to hell in a handbasket.

Yes, and also when Kermit and Medusa stopped appearing so much and then of course disappeared altogether.

Bobby and Giada looked like they were sick of the show by the last few seasons and just doing it out of contractual obligation, which didn't exactly help the show either.

• Love 3

Not sure where to put this, but I just watched "A White House Thanksgiving" where Trisha Yearwood prepared a Thanksgiving meal at Blair House (across the street from WH) with Dr. Jill Biden and then served it at The White House. It was lovely, but it annoyed the heck out of me that Trisha wore a very casual outfit. Plain grey sweater, grey pants that looked like jeans or leggings, and sneakers! Like running shoe sneakers! Jill looked lovely and appropriate in silk blouse and slacks then skirt at dinner. Trisha looked, as my friend used to say, "like she just came from cleaning the house." I was surprised at Trisha for this. Not the end of the world of course, but sheesh!

• Love 3
On 7/17/2019 at 12:25 PM, mlp said:

The first thing they need to do is get rid of Giada.

Yes I know your post is from 2019 but it doesn't change the fact that I agree with you, nor does it change the fact that Giada is still here, there (and everywhere.) With her skinny flailing arms flapping around and her gigantic teeth.

I've been thinking that this program will never come back because TPTB have their pick of talent from Top Chef.   Years ago those words were never ever uttered on Food Network.  Wonder how this change of attitude happened.

Yeah, things have changed quite a bit on FN in the past few years. For me it is hardly recognizable as the "Cooking " channel I started watching to learn things about recipes and cooking. I hardly watch it any more.

Edited by Gramto6

I hear both of you but even now once in a while a good old fashioned cooking show comes on the scene.  Someone on the board clued me in to "Ready Jet Cook" and so far it's been a great show where Jet shows how to cook some pretty awesome recipes.

And speaking of Giada, she recently left FN altogether, probably because they weren't utilizing her much anymore.  Here's an article for more detail on what she's doing next:

https://people.com/food/giada-de-laurentiis-leaving-food-network-for-amazon-studios/#:~:text=Giada De Laurentiis is parting,series production with Amazon Studios.