Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network in the Media

• Start Topic

I just watched the video and was expecting worse, based on the comments here. It was a weird thing to post though, since it seemed directed to someone named "hot tub" who is apparently in on the joke, if that's what it is. Just makes him look weird to most people. I will say, the food looked totally unappealing to me.

• Love 1

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that on Lenny's website (www.cheflenny.com) at the very bottom of the page, it states:

"Voted "Best Lover" by all women.

2003-2014"

(Sorry, but I'm not sure about how to quote something from another source. I searched around here but couldn't find out how to do so).

Lenny just icks me out...:(

I don't even own pearls, let alone clutch them.

I use foul language. Here and elsewhere.

I am not easily offended. I have heard many a person drop the "c-bomb". Some of my favorite quotes are from "South Park." Just check out the "Quotable Quotes" thread and you'll see what I mean.

For me, it's the chasm, between Cowboy "Yes Ma'am" "whatever the little lady wants" tip-yer-hat-there's-a-lady-present Lenny and that foul-mouthed asswipe on the youtube video. Don't act all respectful of womenfolk and such of you're going to post that crap. Or video that crap, at the least. If you're going to be Andrew Dice Clay, fine. Just don't act like you're really Andy Taylor. This little c---, err -- little lady ain't that stupid.

• Love 10

I don't even own pearls, let alone clutch them.

I use foul language. Here and elsewhere.

I am not easily offended. I have heard many a person drop the "c-bomb". Some of my favorite quotes are from "South Park." Just check out the "Quotable Quotes" thread and you'll see what I mean.

For me, it's the chasm, between Cowboy "Yes Ma'am" "whatever the little lady wants" tip-yer-hat-there's-a-lady-present Lenny and that foul-mouthed asswipe on the youtube video. Don't act all respectful of womenfolk and such of you're going to post that crap. Or video that crap, at the least. If you're going to be Andrew Dice Clay, fine. Just don't act like you're really Andy Taylor. This little c---, err -- little lady ain't that stupid.

They're all playing a role..... I'm sure the whole thing is scripted somewhat. Someone on another thread swore that Luca doesn't have an accent but he's playing a role. The cowboy is Lenny's schtick.

• Love 2

I watched the brisket video after seeing all the comments about it here. I'm not easily offended by swearing but it was jarring to hear him say that stuff while talking to (at?) a piece of meat, especially using the "c" word, if only because it's more common for me to hear "f bombs"  than the "c" word. Plus, if I remember correctly he was saying something about how someone's father is a something and mother is a something (I don't remember the exact words). What was up with that?

I'm the first to admit I have a filthy mouth, so okay, fine, whatever if someone uses foul language. I think there would be less of a bad reaction from others if he said something more along the lines of, "This is going to be so fucking tasty". Something more...normal sounding, I guess. It may not be just the cuss words themselves that bother people but the creepy way he used those words, if that makes sense. 

I wasn't offended by the video but I was put off by it. It was bizarre.

• Love 3

They're all playing a role..... I'm sure the whole thing is scripted somewhat. Someone on another thread swore that Luca doesn't have an accent but he's playing a role. The cowboy is Lenny's schtick.

I've yet to see a video with Luca speaking flawless English. I grew up in New Jersey and I could have gone to school with Nicole. From what I'be seen outside of FNS, Sarah is pretty self-absorbed and clueless. So yes, while this isn't "real," some are playing fake more than others. Lenny is at the very top of that list. "Schtick" is exactly the right word. I'm as much a cowboy as he is.

• Love 1

I've yet to see a video with Luca speaking flawless English. I grew up in New Jersey and I could have gone to school with Nicole. From what I'be seen outside of FNS, Sarah is pretty self-absorbed and clueless. So yes, while this isn't "real," some are playing fake more than others. Lenny is at the very top of that list. "Schtick" is exactly the right word. I'm as much a cowboy as he is.

I haven't heard Luca use flawless English either, but I'm sure he's playing some kind of role too. I agree with what you said about Sarah.

• Love 1

I was watching a rerun of 30 Rock, where Liz is trying to tell Jon Hamm that he gets things in life because he's beautiful and that he's actually quite stupid. And she explains to him that he's not supposed to put gatorade in his salmon, and he says something like, "Yes I am, the Italian lady from the Food Network told me I could," and I laughed harder than I should have, knowing Giada. I'm sorry, I just had to share that.

• Love 2

I watched the brisket video after seeing all the comments about it here. I'm not easily offended by swearing but it was jarring to hear him say that stuff while talking to (at?) a piece of meat, especially using the "c" word, if only because it's more common for me to hear "f bombs"  than the "c" word. Plus, if I remember correctly he was saying something about how someone's father is a something and mother is a something (I don't remember the exact words). What was up with that?

I'm the first to admit I have a filthy mouth, so okay, fine, whatever if someone uses foul language. I think there would be less of a bad reaction from others if he said something more along the lines of, "This is going to be so fucking tasty". Something more...normal sounding, I guess. It may not be just the cuss words themselves that bother people but the creepy way he used those words, if that makes sense. 

I wasn't offended by the video but I was put off by it. It was bizarre.

I was reading on the FN site in the FNS area and the video link is being posted in comments from viewers. A lot of comments are condemning the videos so it looks like it is picking up interest. It will be interesting to see if this will backfire on him on Sunday's show. If he doesn't win then it should be Nicole.

While I agree with the sentiment of the Salon article, it annoys me no end when people go on a rant and cite info that is not correct. Lidia Bastianich and Jacque Pepin were never on FN, so did not "flee" to PBS. Sara Moulton did not flee either, she was told by FN they no longer wanted a show like hers. I've read interviews where she said how hard it is to lobby for sponsors to keep her show on PBS, and how devastated she was when FN got rid of her. And FN did not invent cooking on TV, PBS did - please she Julia Child. And, Guy was not the "first" winner of FNS, he was the 3rd. Facts people, facts.

• Love 7

Yeah, I noticed those things too when I read the article, chessigal, and I agree it irks me.  Lately Salon and several other online opinion article sites have been irking me with stuff written by people who have not checked out their "facts".  I don't want to find too much fault with this one as I agree with the author's opinion, but those factors take away from its impact for sure.

My own beef is that while the Cooking Channel is supposed to take up FN's slack on the real cooking shows, it has kind of been a disappointment for me.  First of all, in my area we don't get it in HD (and with my TV that's an issue), and secondly, the shows themselves have left me uninspired.  I think if it were a better channel people who like real cooking shows wouldn't necessarily have as much beef with FN.  I get my own cooking program fix from PBS and pretty much always have.  I started out as a kid over 50 years ago watching Julia Child with my mom (yes, from the 1st show!), and I'm unlikely to change any time soon!

• Love 2

I caught the errors as well, but a good number of my chef friends were agreeing with it in principle. I fear that Guy may have a heart attack one day, by the sheer volume of food he eats and his weight. He's lost a little bit, I think, but he still inhales all the greasy fatty stuff that's bad for you.

Yeah, I noticed those things too when I read the article, chessigal, and I agree it irks me.  Lately Salon and several other online opinion article sites have been irking me with stuff written by people who have not checked out their "facts".  I don't want to find too much fault with this one as I agree with the author's opinion, but those factors take away from its impact for sure.

But. . . 

Farsh Askari currently lives in Boston, where he is a research and staff associate at Harvard Business School.

So it must be true, right?

• Love 1

I caught the errors as well, but a good number of my chef friends were agreeing with it in principle. I fear that Guy may have a heart attack one day, by the sheer volume of food he eats and his weight. He's lost a little bit, I think, but he still inhales all the greasy fatty stuff that's bad for you.

Are you basing that by what he tries on Triple D?  I doubt he actually eats entire meals at every taping.

"Farsh Askari currently lives in Boston, where he is a research and staff associate at Harvard Business School."

So it must be true, right?

LOL!  I guess I'm wrong then....<snerk>

A research staff associate at Harvard Business School and he can't be bothered to proof his facts before he publishes.  I guess that's today's arrogance for you.  I check my facts before posting to this freaking BOARD never mind what I would do for an article!

Wasn't Guy the second winner, with Amy Finely being the third?

Yes.

I was thinking he never gets it on the first take and has to taste...and taste...and taste...

Probably.  Speaking of that, have you seen Adam Richman lately since he stopped doing "Man vs. Food"?  He's lost a significant amount of weight.  I think it would be better for Guy (and us) if we saw less of him in more ways than one. 

• Love 3

I thought the first winner was [sic] two men? So that would make Guy both the second and third winner.

Eta: yes, I checked my facts! The Hearty Boys, a real-life couple.

Edited by CousinAmy

Food Network's official press release about Lenny's win:

Audience Crowns Gourmet Cowboy Lenny McNab Winner of Food Network Star

On the release, GM Tuschman describes Lenny as someone who has "magnetic personality, culinary chops and cowboy swagger who made him stand out from the beginning."  Also that he has "true passion for great food and the great outdoors."

From these words, FN probably might have settled on Lenny to win from the start and that they might tweak his pilot concept to make it a cooking/outdoor lifestyle show, like 'The Pioneer Woman' or 'Heartland Table,' with a little or a lot of Lenny's 'charm and quirky humor,' as they highlight on the press release.

So far, they're ignoring Lenny's controversy, just like they did with Guy's alleged sexist, homophobic comments.  Guy's their biggest ratings/money maker. It's all about ratings and if Lenny's show's successful, pretty much they won't do anything. Paula Deen's firing was more about her declining ratings than her baggage, which was pretty much heavy by the time of her dismissal. At the moment, Lenny's scandal has stayed within social media and hasn't picked enough steam yet for mainstream media, like TMZ, Radar, New York Post or a credible news source to take a look at it and create a great outrage.  For now, FN might be counting on this to go away and to keep him under control by late fall, when his show most likely premieres.

The Braiser about Lenny. Tough to write about his "background" since it's so gross. If already posted, sorry, I haven't read through everything.

http://www.thebraiser.com/reports-link-new-food-network-star-lenny-mcnab-to-some-uh-sordid-online-history/

Bummer, the Gawker closed comments (due to horrible pics in comments). Understandable, but I really wanted to read what people had to say.

WoW, I need a better life after dinner.

Edited by Pepperminty
  • Love 3

The Braiser about Lenny. Tough to write about his "background" since it's so gross. If already posted, sorry, I haven't read through everything.

http://www.thebraiser.com/reports-link-new-food-network-star-lenny-mcnab-to-some-uh-sordid-online-history/

I sent The Brasier the link to the "Food Network Gossip" site link this morning, then this afternoon this piece suddenly appears.  Just doing my part.  Too bad I was insanely busy at work today or I'd have sent it to other sites like "Eater", etc.

Too bad about them closing down the "Gawker" comments, I would have loved to read them!  Pass the popcorn!

• Love 4

Yes, they had to resort to that after disabling the feature that inserted images did not stop it (because comments were HTML-enabled, and anyone with a remedial knowledge of coding could still embed an image). However, late into last night, one of the writers was having to manually remove images of a throat slashing that was being left in her posts. It was horrifying.

And all of this because of Lenny! See what he has caused? For shame FN. For shame. ;)

I was thinking about Luca and while I like him and think that he is attractive, he doesn't have that "it" thing. Now Fabio, from top Chef, I think would have won in a landslide on FNS. Some of his talking heads when he was on Top Chef are my favorite of all time. Like when he talked about walking his turtles and continuing to cook with a broken finger and how he would chop it off and seer it on the grill in order to keep cooking. He was not so tongue tied as Luca seems to be which makes him a character and endearing all at the same time. 

And all of this because of Lenny! See what he has caused? For shame FN. For shame. ;)

I was thinking about Luca and while I like him and think that he is attractive, he doesn't have that "it" thing. Now Fabio, from top Chef, I think would have won in a landslide on FNS. Some of his talking heads when he was on Top Chef are my favorite of all time. Like when he talked about walking his turtles and continuing to cook with a broken finger and how he would chop it off and seer it on the grill in order to keep cooking. He was not so tongue tied as Luca seems to be which makes him a character and endearing all at the same time. 

Fabio from TC was a special case, but I think Luca is the Fabio for FN.  TC to me always gets a higher quality of contestant than does FNS.  Thats just always the way it is, IMO.  There is always a chef or two that can introduce themselves as a "James Beard" something or the other, or they have a famous chef that they have worked under, or for.  I don't think this is always the case on FNS.  Even in terms of personality, I think TC gets better contestants.  Its like the relationship between Fashion Star and Project Runway, one just gets better contestants.  

So having said that, I think that Fabio is probably the most charming Italian, with the best cooking to come out of the reality show cooking genre (that I know of, I no longer watch Hells Kitchen or Masterchef), Luca is probably second best, IMO, he is still charming, and good looking (to me) but he is no Fabio from TC.  

Christopher was the first chef I remember being on this show who had the background and skills which would have gotten him a slot on Top Chef. Maybe he tried to get on that show and didn't make it, no idea, but he was horribly miscast for this. At least on TC you are not vying to be a TV host.

I've eaten at Fabio's restaurant in the west Hollywood area and the food is to die for. He wasn't there that night, unfortunately.... I cried a little.

• Love 1

I agree. I think the Luca of FNS, with some training and relaxing in front of the camera, will become a very nice host of whatever show he could end up doing. I have to imagine, as a native English speaker, that when you aren't fluent yet in a second language, there is that delay as you work through what you want to say. I think once the anxiety settles, he will just get better and better.  Plus, he seems authentic and a nice person.  Still love me some Fabio though. 

Since I've never listened to Anthony & Opie ( and doubt I ever will), i don't know the guy. But no matter how big a jerk he might be, I had the same choice to ignore him and his show, just like you have with Lenny. I still don't see what he has to do with this thread though, unless you just want to pick names of random celebrity jerks.

That still doesn't change the fact that quite a few people enjoyed Lenny's act, including the FN.

I'd also be willing to bet that Lenny will be around a bit longer then Justin was, which if he makes 2 episodes of shows will be better then Justin!

Maybe next season they will actually get some real chefs who are not caricatures, but I doubt it.

• Love 1

"The Brasier" just posted a piece on Lenny, complete with a copy of the deleted video if anyone who hasn't seen it wants to watch it.  And yes, I am the "tipster":

http://www.thebraiser.com/lenny-mcnab-video/

Again, if you don't like Lenny, don't watch him. He's a freakin' TV Chef, not the President, the Pope, or the Dalai Lama (at least he's got that going for him).

Given the way FN pushes some pretty obnoxious people, I think the President, the Pope and the Dalai Lama would be easier to avoid.....

I remember back when people used to tell those who hated Rachael Ray to "just change the channel" but for a while it didn't matter where you went, you couldn't get away from her.  And given how FN has become the "Guy Fieri Channel", and given the comparisons being made between Lenny and Guy, I think there is cause to worry that if given free reign and enough of an audience, FN will go the same route with him.  Now, OK, I suppose I could "just change the channel" but I really don't want to have to do that.  I do still watch a few FN shows and even seeing Lenny's demented mug on a promo. would make me want to hurl.

ETA:  This is a little OT, but I'm all excited because tomorrow night I'm going to a dinner in honor of Julia Child's 101st birthday at Tyler Anderson's restaurant in CT - The meal is going to consist of authentic reproductions of her recipes.  Tyler was just on "Beat Bobby Flay" tonight.  The show put me in an up mood because IMO it is more like what I think FN should be about.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 5

ETA:  This is a little OT, but I'm all excited because tomorrow night I'm going to a dinner in honor of Julia Child's 101st birthday at Tyler Anderson's restaurant in CT - The meal is going to consist of authentic reproductions of her recipes.  Tyler was just on "Beat Bobby Flay" tonight.  The show put me in an up mood because IMO it is more like what I think FN should be about.

I can just see it now.....

You all sit down to dinner, eagerly anticipating a hearty repast. Tyler comes out, and says " We have a special announcement: Food Network has decided to film this for a special they are going to show, and as such, we have a special guest celebrity chef tonight:

Cowboy Lenny McNab!!!!!!!

:)

• Love 3

I can just see it now.....

You all sit down to dinner, eagerly anticipating a hearty repast. Tyler comes out, and says " We have a special announcement: Food Network has decided to film this for a special they are going to show, and as such, we have a special guest celebrity chef tonight:

Cowboy Lenny McNab!!!!!!!

:)

LOL!  Perish the thought!  Julia would roll over in her grave....

I was so jealous last night because my husband actually went to Tyler's restaurant last night with a business associate and got to watch the screening of "Beat Bobby Flay" along with Tyler and the rest of the restaurant staff.  They served everyone a sample of the New England style clam chowder that Tyler made on the show.  I didn't even know he was going there!  When he got home I told him he should have called me and I would have come right over, but you know how these things go.....At least he brought me back dessert.

• Love 1

For some reason I looked back at my first post for this season, where I innocently said it was very likely that FN had already signed the contracts and done the background checks on the winner.  Well, I was half right, maybe....

Edited by Totale
  • Love 2

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/15/leave_guy_fieri_alone_why_he_has_nothing_to_do_with_the_food_networks_decline/

This is a rebuttal article to the one published a few days ago, claiming Guy Feeeidi is the reason the Food Network is declining. While defending Guy, the author also takes time to slam The Food Network AND Lenny:

"The network is being irresponsibly careless with what’s left of its cultural momentum. Days after it crowned Lenny McNab the winner of this year’s “Food Network Star,” it was revealed that he is a foul-fingered Web commenter who, amongst a cavalcade of inane racist, sexist and homophobic postings and videos once wrote of The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, a rare bright spot in the network’s recent history, that “I’d f**** her…IN THE ASS!!!!! that’s right…I said it!!!” "

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 2

Maybe this has already come to light in another forum, as it's old article, but I just read this piece about the Todd English episode of "Chef Wanted" and thought it was worth sharing. It confirms what I've suspected all along about reality shows in which the prize is supposed to be a job. Would anyone really leave really the hiring of the executive chef position at their New York restaurant up to a TV show?

It would be more believable if the prize offered were a job somewhere in the chef's organization, but that doesn't make for dramatic television. And apparently even that never happened. Of course there are two sides to every story, but based on this article I firmly believe Wilson. What reason would he have to lie and go to the media if he had really been offered the job? At the very least he was never offered the position at Olive's in New York City, which was the stated prize. I don't see how the network and their producers can get away with this sort of thing. It's appalling that they  can play with people's lives for the sake of a TV show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/tully-wilson-chef-wanted-todd-english_n_2131917.html

Edited by bluepiano