Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Dex Factor

• Start Topic

Dex goes under cover as a potential buyer to help Hoffman and Grey with the next phase of their drug case. Dex becomes close to a fellow veteran support group member. Ansel struggles to maintain order at Bad Alibi and enlists Tookie's help.

Airing Wednesday, February 5, 2020.

Dex starts to fumble the buy, but Max falls in love with her and saves it. Grey is enraged that Dex betrayed him again. Leo is enraged that Max would dump him. Grey and Leo shoot each other just before the end credits....

• LOL 6
On 1/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, paigow said:

Dex starts to fumble the buy, but Max falls in love with her and saves it. Grey is enraged that Dex betrayed him again. Leo is enraged that Max would dump him. Grey and Leo shoot each other just before the end credits....

I thought this was an actual recap at first. I haven't watched it yet, or even checked my DVR to see if it's there. 

I've just googled, and found that it isn't on for another week. 

Edited by Anela
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Anela said:

I've just googled, and found that it isn't on for another week. 

FYI. The airdate should appear in the first post...save a Google trip....sorry my speculation misled you....

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saoirse said:

The airdate IS in the first post, above the promo.

When I clicked the link, it took me to paigow's post. Also no need to apologize @paigow - I was amused. 

Edited by Anela

Grey is a dumbass. But that he could get to his truck, while somebody pointed a gun at him and the police was storming the place was just bad writing. That's not a thing that could happen. And why couldn't they just let Max quietly slip away after Grey gave her the note? They could have had the sappy goodbye later after meeting up again. The only thing we would have missed was the crappy chase. Bad writers, bad!

I loved that the magic casset deck was back. Missed it the past few episodes.

Man Dex sure has a way of making situations awkward "You were both inside of me." I get why Grey wouldn't think it was awkward before, but after that comment it certainly was. Also is it just me or was that "I mean not at the same time" a bit of a fantasy of Dex's shining through? She is a dirty, dirty woman. I love it. (also I legit wouldn't mind that as the resolution of this love triangle)

Edited by Prower
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Prower said:

"I mean not at the same time" a bit of a fantasy of Dex's shining through? She is a dirty, dirty woman. I love it. (also I legit wouldn't mind that as the resolution of this love triangle)

Pretty sure that for most straight dudes, threesome is spelled with two women...so she needs to revisit Hold The Meat for a couple of less-inhibited guys....

• LOL 2

Well, it's official Tookie and Ansel are the show's real power duo!

Good use of 'Girs just wanna have fun' - was it just a cover or did we get to hear the original too?

And of course Amanda Waller is bad news! Cynthia Addai-Robinson seems to become the go-to lady for casting agents for 'female badass, coldly efficient'. I guess we'll see her again. I was  a bit surprised that she had not been playing a long-con; her chance meeting with Dex looked suspicious. Apparently I've watched too much NCIS (there are no coincidences!).

So Steven Williams plays Hoffman's Dad? The moment he showed up the Dad reveal was obvious - but I'm not mad about this.

Loved Dex's nightmare scenario of Ansel driving and the scene at the precinct when Hoffman was trying to test her undercover skills. The rest was pretty meh, especially Grey falling for mechanic girl. Cynical me was hoping for some sort of reveal that she was in fact running the gang. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Pretty sure that for most straight dudes, threesome is spelled with two women...so she needs to revisit Hold The Meat for a couple of less-inhibited guys....

I mean these kinds of threesomes aren't that uncommen. It's so common there is even a word or it (devils threesome / devils triangle). I think Grey would get over his apprehensions pretty fast. Hoffman would be a harder nut to crack, but there are still seasons of character development ahead of us. Come on writers, give me some hot threesome action.

On a more serious note. They don't actually have to sleep with each other at the same time, but I could see them ending up as a thruple, eventually. That would actually be something new and very progressive for network TV. So it probably won't happen. But one can dream...

33 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Good use of 'Girs just wanna have fun' - was it just a cover or did we get to hear the original too?

The magic casset deck had the original version. The cover came later and even that transitioned back to the original in the second half of the fight.

Edited by Prower
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

So Steven Williams plays Hoffman's Dad? The moment he showed up the Dad reveal was obvious - but I'm not mad about this

How did whiny rich white boy get in the gang? Everybody thought he would never rat them out when the chips were down? Hoffman Sr. is clearly on speed dial with all the right families...

• Love 4

It strains credulity that Dex would engage in such a risky endeavor while knowing that Grey was also risking his life.  What would happen to Ansel if something went wrong?  This is why Ansel needs to have a life separate from Dex's before it becomes a tragic necessity.

I guess Grey's reward check will be going toward taxes and a new truck.

• Love 8

Good use of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, both from the magical mixed tape and during the fight scene. 

Sue Lynn to the rescue again! You know this is t.v because the cop actually listened to her. 

Loved the Tookie and Ansel team-up. That couple 100% deserved to get their house egged. And good for Dex for signing the paper to let Ansel take his driver’s test. She’s slowly adjusting to him being more independent. 

Good thing Grey got that check cause he needs a new truck now. 

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, phalange said:

And good for Dex for signing the paper to let Ansel take his driver’s test.

Is there actually a possibility that he might be able to pass the test? In germany there is no way a person with down syndrom could get past the theoretical portion of the test. Even a bunch of people without a disability don't pass.

I know the standards in america are looot lower, but that much lower?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Prower said:

Is there actually a possibility that he might be able to pass the test? In germany there is no way a person with down syndrom could get past the theoretical portion of the test. Even a bunch of people without a disability don't pass.

I know the standards in america are looot lower, but that much lower?

I think he could as long as he practices with Dex and Grey. He might have to take the test more than once, but that's fairly common. It doesn't seem like he has his learner's permit, so practicing might be tricky since he wouldn't be able to legally practice driving on the roads, but that's what empty parking lots are for. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

You would think that an assassin would wear rubber gloves when wrapping up a dead body in a "Twister knock-off" plastic mat (there has to be a thousand fingerprints). Since Dex saw the games, she should know who the killer is and be able to connect her to all her other killings since that is her signature M.O.

That was the least realistic drug buy I have ever seen. One person walks into a building they have never been in before by themselves and drops off a ton of cash and says "Bring my drugs by when you get some free time, Peace! I'm out!"

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Loved Dex's nightmare scenario of Ansel driving

Yes, that might be the highlight of the series, both for the audience and likely for the actors. 
I also loved the annoyed look on Ansel's face when he was all ready to drive after going through all of the driving pre-check list, and Dex said that now they were going to eat.

• Love 4

Bad, bad story telling for me. Did not like this episode at all.

Issue no. 1. There is a trope that I quite dislike and that is happenstance as major plot. When Violet (the assassin) met Dex at the bar at the VFW, I really thought that she had Dex as a mark, Dex being the buyer after all. I was quite surprised and disappointed that when they met again outside the garage everything was just a big coincidence. They were both veterans, both lesbian and/or bisexual, they attracted to each other enough to had a night stand... yet they were both involved in this case?

Issue no. 2. The police chased a suspect. Suspect went to Native land. Police just turned around and let her go? Even if they 100% had no jurisdiction in Native land, should they not have waited outside the boundary while getting the warrant? It was way, way to easy for Max to escape.

Issue no. 3. How easy it was for Tookie to just give away free meals to the couple. Who paid for the burgers and drinks? 

The thing that I like was how Dex was just that open about the awkwardness, "You both were inside of me. Not at the same time, of course."

• Love 2
15 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I was  a bit surprised that she had not been playing a long-con; her chance meeting with Dex looked suspicious. Apparently I've watched too much NCIS (there are no coincidences!).

I was totally expecting that too! And I did like that she tried to let Dex walk away even knowing that Dex clearly knew what that meant she was. 

14 hours ago, paigow said:

How did whiny rich white boy get in the gang? Everybody thought he would never rat them out when the chips were down? Hoffman Sr. is clearly on speed dial with all the right families...

How did Violet know where to find him? She may have had his license plate on the camera and she saw his face, but it isn't like Portland is the size of Mayberry. 

9 hours ago, Prower said:

I'm sure Axel is taking the written test just to get his learner's permit.  I guess it would depend on his ability to memorize information. Here the learner's permit test is basically knowing the rules of the road. I know when I moved to a new state, I failed it the first time I took it because the rules of the road in Alaska were different than the rules of the road in Arizona. 

• Love 9

Issue no. 2. The police chased a suspect. Suspect went to Native land. Police just turned around and let her go? Even if they 100% had no jurisdiction in Native land, should they not have waited outside the boundary while getting the warrant? It was way, way to easy for Max to escape.

And when Grey was talking to Hoffman later, it seemed like the cops didn't even know Max was in the truck with him, which was just ridiculous. Also, I would hope any police operating in an area that included a reservation would be more familiar with tribal law.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Shenanigan said:

And when Grey was talking to Hoffman later, it seemed like the cops didn't even know Max was in the truck with him, which was just ridiculous. Also, I would hope any police operating in an area that included a reservation would be more familiar with tribal law.

I hope the reservation was east-southeast of Downtown Portland...or else Max will add a few hours travel time to Arizona...

• Love 1

I like this show in general, but I feel the writing is really lazy.  Why did Dex need to be involved in this drug bust?  Did she do anything an undercover cop couldn't have done?  No.  No reason at all for her involvement, as presented.  They could have come up with some special skill/knowledge that she had that made her necessary, but no.  Lazy writing.

As someone mentioned above, exactly how did Ms. Assassin find prep boy car thief?  I understand needing to edit things down for time, but there could have/should have been some explanation of her magical location powers. 

Did Grey really leave Ansel in charge of the bar?  What was the rationale for that??

Tookie & Ansel and the bickering couple.  They missed an opportunity for a much more satisfying takedown of the McBickersons.  Once they were identified as marriage counselors, I really thought they'd invite them back for a free meal, videotape them fighting, and use it to make them take down the bad review.  But instead, they go egg their house?  Stupid, and lazy writing. 

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Why did Dex need to be involved in this drug bust?  Did she do anything an undercover cop couldn't have done?  

Hoffman did not trust any Narco Undercovers because the boss was dirty....so the only person he can trust is Dex….

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Hoffman did not trust any Narco Undercovers because the boss was dirty....so the only person he can trust is Dex….

And there aren't any other cops in the whole police force who could do this?  It didn't even need to be a woman - any cop would do. 

I also thought it was a poor plot line because from what we've seen from Dex's other "undercover" work, she generally not very good at it. 

• Love 3

I did like this episode, but that doesn't mean I didn't have problems with it.

I thought the Dex bar hookup was a set up/con, with the other woman knowing who Dex was. And I didn't know until reading here that the boxes named "Bender" were a Twister take off. I thought it was a game starring the Futurama robot.

Portland has a zillion billion SWAT guys to go into the drug bust?  But another set of cops were chasing Grey afterward? How did they know one of the dudes WAS Grey and that he got away and what vehicle he was driving. Unless Hoffman told them to go bust his Dex competition. None of that made sense to me. Grey should have let them arrest him and Hoffman would spring him later. (Maybe)

Max didn't have her own vehicle? And Grey just gives her his truck? Good luck getting it licensed in Arizona (or Mexico) with no title or registration. Although if she boosted a different vehicle, I guess that's the same dilemma.

Max tosses Grey's note on the floor for her BF to find? Even if you don't have pockets, your pants have a waistband don't they? What a dumbass move that was.

I was surprised the cops weren't sitting outside the rez gate, waiting for Grey to leave. Speaking of, did Sue Lynn give him a ride home?

It's been a few eps since Dex got into a brawl. She can kick any man's ass but the PTSD chick could hold her own against the Mighty Dex? Girl power I guess.

Meanwhile, back at the bar ... Ansel was left in charge and he hired a bunch of vagrants to work there? And the Yelp couple, so what their house got egged. Why not go on SM and give them a slammin' review using a bunch of fake account names. And then go on Bad Alibi's site and give it a bunch of five star reviews. One Yelp doesn't ruin a restaurant. Get those fake accounts moving Ansel and Tookie.

So Tookie is giving up his truck to cook for the bar? Please no. Where will Cameron go for a great lunch now.

• Love 8
On 2/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, saber5055 said:

Portland has a zillion billion SWAT guys to go into the drug bust?  But another set of cops were chasing Grey afterward?

I was surprised the cops weren't sitting outside the rez gate, waiting for Grey to leave.

Using The Rookie as police SOP, "Unis" are assigned perimeter duties at SWAT deployments. So regular cops chasing Grey is not unreasonable; however, Nolan would have camped out.....

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's been a few eps since Dex got into a brawl. She can kick any man's ass but the PTSD chick could hold her own against the Mighty Dex? Girl power I guess.

All the guys she's fought with were just "regular guys", with no idea what they were getting into.  They made it clear that Violet was also a vet and thus presumably had similar training.  Plus, she's a professional assassin now, so I'm sure she keeps in shape.  Their fight was one of the few scenes that actually made sense.  The soft garbage down where she went over the railing was pretty convenient, but at least they made of point of showing some fresh bloodstains where she fell before disappearing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Never mind how Violet found whiny rich boy, why did she leave him alive??? Granted he only saw her briefly in a poorly lit parking lot, but he still saw her, and it didn't seem like she had qualms about killing people. (Not to mention she had plenty of Bender boards on hand...) 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Portland has a zillion billion SWAT guys to go into the drug bust?  But another set of cops were chasing Grey afterward? How did they know one of the dudes WAS Grey and that he got away and what vehicle he was driving. Unless Hoffman told them to go bust his Dex competition. None of that made sense to me. Grey should have let them arrest him and Hoffman would spring him later. (Maybe)

SWAT doesn't travel in black and whites, they use very expensive large militarized vehicles that you wouldn't use in a chase.  But yeah, Grey even leaving was stupid unless the plan was always for him to escape so as to not blow his cover, but that didn't seem like the case.

17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Never mind how Violet found whiny rich boy, why did she leave him alive??? Granted he only saw her briefly in a poorly lit parking lot, but he still saw her, and it didn't seem like she had qualms about killing people. (Not to mention she had plenty of Bender boards on hand...) 

If he couldn't identify her, didn't give her any trouble, and it was close enough in time to when she was going to go get the drugs that he couldn't warn everyone and blow it for her, I guess why deal with having to dispose of another body?  But it does seem sloppy.

• Love 1

In spite of everything that was going on in this one I was not that interested or surprised by anything.  The only smile I got out of this was Tookie telling Ansel "this is wrong, and it solves nothing" before egging the house.

I almost smiled when Hoffman pretend to tear up the check to get back at Grey.  While I wasn't looking forward to serious drama in the Hoffman family, Steven Williams is welcome.  I hope they have a little comedy while he's around.

I'm glad the car robbery subplot is over, but I hope the contract killer doesn't take over the rest of the season.

• Love 5

Dex just cant get a win when it comes to her love life. Not only is she stuck working with her two ex`s on this case, and the two of them dont exactly get along, but the nice sexy woman she met at the bar turns out to be a criminal that she has to get into a fight with! You just cant win sometimes! 

I liked this episode, but it made a lot of weird leaps in logic that I had to question, like the assassin chick managed to be everywhere and find everyone, why this had to be Dex who helped with this mission (and it wasnt used very well anyone, she hardly even did anything) and why everything is apparently cool even if its clear that Grey helped Max escape. And how Grey managed to get away from the guys pointing guns at him so quickly, even when the cops jumped right in where he was and I have no clue how they both managed to not only get to the truck, but also get far enough away to outrun the cops and make it to the reservation, and then, again, Grey gets no consequences for helping a criminal escape justice? 

Oh Grey, you got some savior complex on you. I did love the whole bit where Dex tells him that Max is probably playing him, and that its ridiculous to think that a woman HAS to be breaking the law because she is being abused by some evil man, not because she just is a criminal, and rather offensive as well. Damn it, men and women should be treated equally, and female car thief's have enough trouble breaking the car thief glass ceiling and succeeding in a male dominated field, and these stereotypes that they only get into the business for a man isnt helping! But for real, I kept waiting for a twist that she was really in charge or that she is a totally unrepentant thief, and was using being a hot chick to manipulate Grey, or just was totally on board with this whole thing and it would be revealed she ran off with a bunch of money or drugs.

Sue Lynn to the rescue again!

Tookie and Ansel continue to be a winning combination. And the many uses of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun were all great and tied through the story really well, plus the return of the magic cassette player is always welcome. Again, I liked this episode, but I feel like it could have gone better.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I liked this episode but agree with all the issues pointed out. I guess my expectations are low with this show and/or I'm shallow bc I'm pretty happy just watching the actors. 

However- the cover of Cyndi Lauper was beyond awful. Seriously the worst part of the ep for me. Did Cyndi approve that?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, paigow said:

Is Violet on the run? Her big mission was a super fail. No drugs or even the cash as a consolation prize. Can she find a way to spin this so the Seattle boss lets her live?

Plus she got beat up by a girl. The humiliation ... !

5 hours ago, cleo said:

I liked this episode but agree with all the issues pointed out. I guess my expectations are low with this show and/or I'm shallow bc I'm pretty happy just watching the actors. 

However- the cover of Cyndi Lauper was beyond awful. Seriously the worst part of the ep for me. Did Cyndi approve that?

Cyndi didn't write the song.  Her 1983 hit was itself a cover of the Robert Hazard song from 1979.

• Love 3

That entire car theft crew is dead.  Violet is not going to let that failure go unpunished, so she would be coming after them individually.  Somehow I think she will be involved long term in the plot, at least tangentially.

As soon as Max leaves the rez (in Grey's truck), she's marked.  Every Highway Patrol would be looking for that truck.  And, reservation or not, Sue Lynn and Co. are now up for obstruction of justice and aiding and abetting a suspect.  And the case involves a great deal of drugs, so the DOJ is going to get involved.  But if Dex said it was okay, who is anyone to argue?

I liked Dex trying to get one last look at the money, and even volunteering to help zip up the bag.

Tookie, you should have leaned in all the way on the revenge.  Toilet paper, the flaming bag on the doorstep, maybe even graphic graffiti with weed killer on the lawn.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

That entire car theft crew is dead.  Violet is not going to let that failure go unpunished, so she would be coming after them individually.

The remaining crew [all dudes] is unreachable in prison without a huge conspiracy of bribing guards...and the Seattle cartel would not care if Leo & Co. are dead or alive, so it is high risk, low reward for her to even try...

20 hours ago, cleo said:

@Orbert never knew that, maybe I'll check out the original sometime. I still thought it was a terrible cover. Tbh I also felt like it was kind of a cliche to play it, although I like the song.

Don’t bother, the original is terrible. But if you must 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, paigow said:

The remaining crew [all dudes] is unreachable in prison without a huge conspiracy of bribing guards...and the Seattle cartel would not care if Leo & Co. are dead or alive, so it is high risk, low reward for her to even try...

In real life, yes, but in the wonderful world of writer's room, entirely possible.  Actually, I was thinking of personal revenge by Violet, something along the lines of Anton Chigurch.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:43 AM, TV Anonymous said:

There is a trope that I quite dislike and that is happenstance as major plot. When Violet (the assassin) met Dex at the bar at the VFW, I really thought that she had Dex as a mark, Dex being the buyer after all.

but Dex wasn't introduced to the gang as the buyer until after she and Dex hooked up. At that point in time the only ones who knew Dex would be in on the deal were Gray and Hoffman

Edited by MrWhyt
3 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

I know it's the least of this episode's plot issues, but I kept thinking, "Wouldn't the FBI or the cops eventually be able to track down that assassin's purchases, if she keeps buying up all the Bender board games?" LOL.

[Interior: Bender Inc. Conference Room]

Exec 1: Why does Walmart keep complaining that they have no inventory of Bender?

Intern: Our Seattle warehouse was robbed. Estimated losses are 5,000 units.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 2/5/2020 at 3:37 PM, MissLucas said:

Loved Dex's nightmare scenario of Ansel driving and the scene at the precinct when Hoffman was trying to test her undercover skills.

I laughed pretty hard - that was pretty much what went through my mind when our kids were reaching that stage. I let my husband do the teaching, because I would have scarred the kids for life with all my screaming and clutching the dashboard.

On 2/6/2020 at 1:17 AM, AnimeMania said:

You would think that an assassin would wear rubber gloves when wrapping up a dead body in a "Twister knock-off" plastic mat (there has to be a thousand fingerprints). Since Dex saw the games, she should know who the killer is and be able to connect her to all her other killings since that is her signature M.O.

I know, right? I saw the bare hand and kind of cringed. Sloppy assassin.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:43 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Issue no. 3. How easy it was for Tookie to just give away free meals to the couple. Who paid for the burgers and drinks?

Issue no. 4 - who decided to close the kitchen and hire a new cook - didn't seem like Grey was there at all during that time.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, saber5055 said:

Meanwhile, back at the bar ... Ansel was left in charge and he hired a bunch of vagrants to work there? And the Yelp couple, so what their house got egged. Why not go on SM and give them a slammin' review using a bunch of fake account names. And then go on Bad Alibi's site and give it a bunch of five star reviews. One Yelp doesn't ruin a restaurant. Get those fake accounts moving Ansel and Tookie.

I'm not sure what SM is, but I know there are Yelp-like ratings for all kinds of professionals, and that seemed to me to be the best approach. Though, not as much visceral satisfaction. 😉

On 2/8/2020 at 9:17 PM, Orbert said:

Cyndi didn't write the song.  Her 1983 hit was itself a cover of the Robert Hazard song from 1979.

As I understand it, performers who want to cover a song just have to pay the fees. The artist who wrote it may or may not have approval rights (depending on whether they actually own the rights to the songs - simply having written it doesn't guarantee that, loads of artists have been ripped off by labels/producers/managers that way). If they do own the rights, they may or may not weigh in on each request. But I tend to think they'd want to let people pay to use it - more money in their pocket. I mean, Whitney Houston's cover of  "I Will Always Love You" has made Dolly Parton a lot of bucks.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
On 2/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, MissLucas said:

Loved Dex's nightmare scenario of Ansel driving and the scene at the precinct when Hoffman was trying to test her undercover skills.

I laughed pretty hard - that was pretty much what went through my mind when our kids were reaching that stage. I let my husband do the teaching, because I would have scarred the kids for life with all my screaming and clutching the dashboard

Reading your post, @Clanstarling, made me realize why I laughed so hard at Dex’s visualization of the nightmare of Ansel driving. By the time my 3 reached the Drivers Ed stage, I was a single parent of many skills and talents but Not suited to teach anyone how to drive. As a driving instructor, I give new meaning to the term “nervous wreck.” It is one point on which I can totally relate to Dex. It was so traumatic for me that I’ve blocked out most of it.

• LOL 1