Type keyword(s) to search

Outmatched - General Discussion

jewel21
  • Start Topic

What happens when a blue-collar couple based in Atlantic City, New Jersey tries to raise a handful of certified genius kids? You get Outmatched—the new multi-camera, live action family comedy coming to FOX Jan. 23. Starring American Pie‘s Jason Biggs and Psych‘s Maggie Lawson, this relatable sitcom promises to bring the laughs and feel-good moments.

Jason Biggs Is Back! Here's What We Know About His New Family Sitcom, Outmatched

I like Maggie Lawson so I'm hoping this will be some lighthearted fun. I haven't seen Jason Biggs in anything since American Pie but hopefully he can bring it. 

The previews look good enough that I'm willing to give it a shot. It airs this Thursday after "Last Man Standing."

S01.E01: Pilot

A working-class couple raise their genius kids in South Jersey.

Airdate: 01/23/2020

It wasn't great...

The thing is I really like Maggie Lawson and I like Jason Biggs. And together they're fine. But I hated all the kids expect for the non genius. I hope this can get better with time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The stereotypes made me want to cry:   if your kids are gifted you have to send them to private schools.  being smart is bad, you will be bullied for it,  smart kids aren't  "normal."  Normal kids use drugs. Smart kids are constantly using scientific jargon.  Smart =nerdy. smart kids hate to have fun, dont follow rules, and are obnoxious brats.

Do better, show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

How I love Maggie Lawson.  If only I could be her agent.  I would definitely steer her in another direction.  She is funny, but the lines are really beneath her.

She's 39 yo and can definitely play younger.  So being the Mom ofmaggielawson7_AL_.jpg.600165cb475bdc37b960469c95499b9c.jpg the two oldest brats is a stretch.

Maybe she just shouldn't audition for sitcoms for a while.  Angel from Hell and Back in the Game were bad enough.  This one is WORSE!!!

She definitely deserves better!!!

• Love 1
On 1/25/2020 at 1:27 PM, screengem said:

How I love Maggie Lawson.  If only I could be her agent.  I would definitely steer her in another direction.  She is funny, but the lines are really beneath her.

She's 39 yo and can definitely play younger.  So being the Mom ofmaggielawson7_AL_.jpg.600165cb475bdc37b960469c95499b9c.jpg the two oldest brats is a stretch.

Maybe she just shouldn't audition for sitcoms for a while.  Angel from Hell and Back in the Game were bad enough.  This one is WORSE!!!

She definitely deserves better!!!

I loved Angel from Hell! And I really like Maggie Lawson. She and Jason Biggs have nice chemistry. 

It's not great, but I didn't hate it. The smart kids were really one-note until the end, when they thankfully showed that they may actually be human. 

Pro-letariat made me laugh, and I love the song Closing Time so I got a kick out of that joke. I'll keep watching for now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I only tuned in for Maggie Lawson. I had zero expectations for the show itself. I love Maggie, but her track record lately has been abysmal, and add in the fact that her co-star here is that noted piece of human garbage, Jason Biggs, and the outlook for anything but Maggie being enjoyable was grim. 

But lo and behold, this show even managed to make Maggie Lawson unlikeable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There's a new episode tonight. I wonder if we'll see any kind of improvement over the pilot?

S01.E02: The Talk

After giving their kids "the talk," Mike and Kay start to overthink their own sex life and turn to Rita and Irwin for advice. Meanwhile, Brian and Nicole fear they are behind when they realize neither of them has had their first kiss.

Airdate: 01/30/2020

I feel like this show relies too much on stereotypes, like the grandparents being flat-earthers just because they are old. But the moment when the oldest kid wanted to pierce his grandpa's throat was genuinely funny.

I also liked when Maggie Lawson's character managed to get along with the grandma because you could tell it was important to her.

• Love 2

Dear Writers,

Wawa does not have subs. They have hoagies. Also, the majority* of houses do not have basements, due to little things called tides, flooding, and nor'easters.

Signed, 

A born and raised South Jersey Wawa aficionado  

PS--Your show is pretty terrible.

*didn't say all for that one person that grew up at the shore and had a basement. ;-)

'

• Useful 2

It was nice seeing Tony Danza back on my TV but it took me a second to recognize him when he first walked in. No mistaking that voice, though. And Jason Biggs did a pretty good job imitating it.

The youngest child continues to be my favourite. 

Also, I did laugh when the older daughter came out all Jersey’d out. And the accent came out, heh. 

This isn’t great TV but I'm still enjoying it for the most part. At least enough to stick around.

• Love 2

What in the Disney Channel Hell was that? This show somehow seems like something that could only be made in both 2020 and like, 1994. I can't decide if it's bad enough to enjoy purely for dunking on it reasons or if it's just regular bad.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

What in the Disney Channel Hell was that? This show somehow seems like something that could only be made in both 2020 and like, 1994. I can't decide if it's bad enough to enjoy purely for dunking on it reasons or if it's just regular bad.

Don't waste your time on this crap. I don't know who they blew to get this on the air!

6 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I like the adult actors and I love sitcoms so was hoping for a good new show.  I watched the first two episodes and OMG was it awful! I cannot believe it made it on the air. I deleted this show from my recording cycle. 

I actually think the adult actors are really bad also. What a shit show. 

• Love 2

For a bunch of geniuses, those kids were dumb as a bag of rocks. 

1. For thinking their parents could afford an extra $15, 000 a year. 

2. For thinking a couple of underage kids would be allowed to legally live on their own. 

Also, I would have murdered them all for waking the house up at 4:30 AM with their stupidity. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, jewel21 said:

For a bunch of geniuses, those kids were dumb as a bag of rocks. 

1. For thinking their parents could afford an extra $15, 000 a year. 

2. For thinking a couple of underage kids would be allowed to legally live on their own. 

Also, I would have murdered them all for waking the house up at 4:30 AM with their stupidity. 

I think that may be the point - these kids are book smart but completely lacking in basic common sense.

I think of them like Sheldon in the Young Sheldon and it makes much more sense - he did his parents taxes and still didn't understand that his parents may not have the money to buy a computer. Sometimes the connections regarding reality and theory just do not match up and realizing that takes some extra help from the parents.

• Love 3

I liked the last episode. The hot bad boy actually reminded me of Mark, the late Glenn Quinn, from Roseanne. I could definitely see why the daughter was attracted to him. 

The younger daughter continues to amuse me. I love that she has her own set of car keys heh. 

• Love 2

This so is so terrible I am now watching just to see how off they are about Atlantic City references.

I know I shouldn't be asking for realism in this show but I fairly certain they have never been to Atlantic City or the Atlantic City Area. 

First in one episode they mentioned going 20 min to get to Wawa. I can think of at least 4 Wawa that are less then 20 min from AC. 

Also they said they went to Ventor High in this weeks episode . while there is a Ventnor in the area (the establishing shot of the charter school this week is actually Ventnors City Hall) it is a small town and they go to Atlantic City High School as do most towns on the barrier islands here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shoregirl said:

This so is so terrible I am now watching just to see how off they are about Atlantic City references.

I know I shouldn't be asking for realism in this show but I fairly certain they have never been to Atlantic City or the Atlantic City Area. 

First in one episode they mentioned going 20 min to get to Wawa. I can think of at least 4 Wawa that are less then 20 min from AC. 

Also they said they went to Ventor High in this weeks episode . while there is a Ventnor in the area (the establishing shot of the charter school this week is actually Ventnors City Hall) it is a small town and they go to Atlantic City High School as do most towns on the barrier islands here.

Haha! Get out of my head.

The Ventnor High thing really bugged this episode. Not quite as much as the episode that said Wawa has subs, but close.

The executive producer is from Manalapan. Granted, not exactly the shore, but he should know better. Or hire someone that has actually been to the area.

I can't wait for the episode where they tell us that Lucy the Elephant went on a wild rampage through the streets.

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

Haha! Get out of my head.

The Ventnor High thing really bugged this episode. Not quite as much as the episode that said Wawa has subs, but close.

The executive producer is from Manalapan. Granted, not exactly the shore, but he should know better. Or hire someone that has actually been to the area.

I can't wait for the episode where they tell us that Lucy the Elephant went on a wild rampage through the streets.

Manalapan ?  Those jokers from North Jersey know nothing. I kid ..Manalapan is in Central Jersey. But they have Wawas so they should know they are hoagies not subs

Also who gets "subs" from wawa. There are a ton of great sub shops that someone who grew up in the area should go to before wawa. I love Wawa but given a choice between wawa any other sub place in choosing the sub shops.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, shoregirl said:

Speaking of high school, are they really trying to make us believe that Maggie Lawson and Tisha Campbell's characters went to high school together? Even if one wasn't aware of the actresses respective ages, the audience is fully aware that Tisha Campbell played Gina, a grown woman, on Martin back in the early to mid 90's, back when these characters were likely in middle school. 

• Useful 1

I didn't make the American Pie connection until Jason Biggs made the pie comment. It was nice seeing Allison Hannigan again on my TV. She looked different though... I don't know if it was the hair colour, or if she put on a few pounds, but something about her appearance threw me off. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I didn't make the American Pie connection until Jason Biggs made the pie comment. It was nice seeing Allison Hannigan again on my TV. She looked different though... I don't know if it was the hair colour, or if she put on a few pounds, but something about her appearance threw me off. 

I got her right away. The voice did it for me.  It too me a little longer to place Eddie Kaye Thomas.  Then I thought how did they get those two, then it was like a light bulb “oh yeah American Pie”  Luckily i got that all before the pie joke so I was able to enjoy that to the fullest. 

• Love 2

Maggie Lawson always reminded me of Alicia Silverstone so I laughed when she pretended to be her. 

I liked the friend's dad voice. I just hope he's not still trapped in the basement with the black mold, heh. 

• Love 3

So Leila is a genius too but is choosing to hide it? Gotta say, I love that twist. In all honesty she is probably the smartest of the children because she can have a normal life without the burden of being "special". She is playing the long game and, in the end, will probably be more successful and happier for it.

Can't help it, I am still really enjoying this show. It probably won't last beyond this one season but I will enjoy while I can.

• Love 3

While I think the chances that all four kids are geniuses is rather unbelievable, I kind of like that Leila is a genius. What’s great is that not only is she a genius, but she has street smarts and common sense which her siblings are sorely lacking. I agree that she will probably be the most successful and the happiest out of all of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/14/2020 at 6:08 AM, AnimeMania said:

I see shows like this all the time on Nickelodeon.

I think that's why I find myself enjoying this show in spite of recognizing that it isn't particularly good. It's basically a Disney Channel or Nickelodeon type sitcom but with the primary focus on the adults rather than the kids.

• Love 2
(edited)

Caught this on Hulu while looking for something to watch.   While not the least bit original it actually has its moments.   I like the parents and they’re reaction to having genius kids they can’t relate to but also the fact that their kids just don’t know how to relate to them.  

And yeah I kinda tapped the daughter as being a genius too from the pilot just by the way mom called her “their star”.   She likes being their favorite and unlike the others has been able to fake “normalcy” because she spends so much time with her parents while the other have been isolated from them because of their intelligence.  .  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, jewel21 said:

She looked taller to me because she wasn't standing next to Jason Segel.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1