Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Green Arrow & The Canaries

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

I brought up The Vampire Diaries because this isn't just a love triangle - it's a love triangle involving two brothers. Which makes it a bit different than most of the other love triangles/quads in the Arrowverse. I mean, whatever else can be said about Iris and Eddie, Eddie wasn't Barry's brother. Sophie's husband isn't Kate's brother. And so on.

• Useful 1

I wasn’t going to watch this because I have NO DESIRE to watch this show if it gets picked up. But then I did, so when I bitched about it, I could do so because I did watch it, and not based on reading everyone else’s comments.

This was just horrid. And I lay all the blame at Laurel’s feet. Everything she did, to her contempt for Mia’s happy life, just REEKED if jealousy. And she couldn’t have that, so “woke” Mia up. 
I saw what you did, Show—trying to make it as if Fake!Laurel! The murdering lying narcissistic Black Canary of Earth 2 as if she was never a murdering piece of shit.

So since Bianca is adopted, and Helena is her mom, how does she have Helena’s last name? Unless her parents are Helena’s relatives from her Mob Daddy’s side?

18 minutes ago, quarks said:

I brought up The Vampire Diaries because this isn't just a love triangle - it's a love triangle involving two brothers. Which makes it a bit different than most of the other love triangles/quads in the Arrowverse. I mean, whatever else can be said about Iris and Eddie, Eddie wasn't Barry's brother. Sophie's husband isn't Kate's brother. And so on.

JJ and Connor aren't biological siblings, though.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't know about Vampire Diaries, but they could also just want to parallel Mia to her father, since he was with both Laurel and Sara. ... Which was gross, so why they'd want to do that again is the question.

It was gross but at least when Oliver was with both Sara and Laurel, it was before the show started so we only heard about it, not saw.

By the time Oliver got involved with Sara again in season 2, Felicity was the love interest, not Laurel. .

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So since Bianca is adopted, and Helena is her mom, how does she have Helena’s last name? Unless her parents are Helena’s relatives from her Mob Daddy’s side?

Helena never married?  I admit that I was confused as to who those Bertinelli's were.

All this talk of whether Mia will have a double life as a social dilettante/hero with a secret identity with a signature weapon and a secret team is reminding me of the original dilettante/secret hero with a signature weapon, calling card and a secret team: 1905s Sir Percy Blakeney, the Scarlet Pimpernel.

On 1/22/2020 at 5:04 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

To her when those memories were given back she did lead that life ... it’s those memories that connect her to it. 

My mistake was trying to apply  logic to all of this. lol Based on this backdoor pilot this series has promise and could be interesting with the right people behind it. I like E2 Laurel but her flip flopping between caring and not caring was already stale on Arrow. Pick a side and stick to it. The BB is going to be a woman so that should be fun to watch. Arrow nor Flash ever had one. Outside of Lex, Supergirl’s villains are weak no matter the gender. We’ll see if it gets picked up. 

7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sounds like Helena adopted as a single parent. After her death? her daughter went to live with her adopted mom’s aunt and uncle. I think it was in her Will. 

11 hours ago, quarks said:

Do we even know if Connor and JJ are brothers in the new reality? I never heard that confirmed and it would still be gross if they are since mia remembers JJ WAS WILLING TO KILL HER. Shouldnt be any conflicting there. I dont find someone trying to kill me or family sexy and desirable like Elena found Damon to be and Mia shouldnt either.  

11 hours ago, lemotomato said:

JJ and Connor aren't biological siblings, though.

But if they were raised as brothers though to me that's still fucking gross. Love Triangles fucking suck anyway 

I’m not a fan of sibling-swapping, but it’s not exactly the same here. Mia has memories of two lives now, and she had something with Connor in one and in another got engaged to JJ (a JJ who wasn’t a murderer, though he could become one again, depending on how they decide to handle him if there’s a spinoff, which is unclear since Arrow’s not the best at doppelgängers, which this situation is at least similar to, though not the same as). It’s messy, yes. Do I trust these writers to not make it ultimately be sibling-swapping and even reveal that Mia and Connor maybe had something at some point before she was with JJ? No. 

Really, it probably all depends on what they do with JJ now that he has both sets of memories. And like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if they decide to have him completely change back to murderous JJ — while continuing to stress how Laurel could and did change and is totally a hero now and have her continue to say that JJ can’t change. 

Of course, we may never get these answers. It may not be ordered to series. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It was gross but at least when Oliver was with both Sara and Laurel, it was before the show started so we only heard about it, not saw.

But then they showed him sleep with Laurel again, and then with Sara again. It's the going back and forth between sisters that's gross also.

In any case, while they've set up the parallel triangle, I don't think they'll have Mia actually be with both of them. One's gotta go.

17 minutes ago, Trini said:

In any case, while they've set up the parallel triangle, I don't think they'll have Mia actually be with both of them. One's gotta go.

I mean, what do you mean by "actually be with both of them"? She's already with one of them and they hinted a love triangle. So it's either she'd stay with JJ and they drop it completely or she drops JJ at some point and ends up with Connor, which would be being with both of them at least once, and likely how it will go?

This was great. I can tell they put more money into the production of this one than any of the other episodes. The new Star City of the future looks like a great setting for new adventures with the next generation of team arrow.

Hope it gets picked up.

• Love 1
(edited)

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – No Oliver Queen and no Felicity Smoak.

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – No voiceover intro:
(This entire episode takes place in 2040.)

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – In Star City 2040, Mia Queen becomes engaged to Adult JJ Diggle:
Adult JJ: "Mia Queen, I love you more than anything in the whole world. Will you marry me? Please say 'yes.'"
Mia: "Yes, of course! ... Of course. I love you so much."

809 (Green Arrow & the Canaries) - DELETED SCENE: Socialite Mia Queen talks to her followers live and introduces her fiancé, JJ Diggle: 
Mia (into her phone camera): "Hi, Queen Bees! I am so happy to finally announce that I have found a designer that makes everything completely recyclable. Love the Earth and it'll love you right back. And... I found the perfect accessory. (Holds up hand to show engagement ring) That's right. I'm engaged. Say 'hi,' fiancé."
JJ (pops his head into view on screen): "Hey."
Mia (giggling): "See you all tonight."
(Mia turns off her phone.)
JJ: "Do you always have to go live with everything?"
Mia: "Well, is there any other way?"

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – E2 Laurel tracks down Dinah at a bar called the Fishnet in Star City 2040:
E2 Laurel: “Black Canary and the owner of the S.C.P.D. now owns a bar. Also, when did you learn to sing?”
Dinah: "We didn't have much time for karaoke back in 2020, did we? So how'd you find me? Sara."
E2 Laurel: "She said that she found you here a couple months ago and that you didn't want to come back with her."
Dinah: "The day after Oliver's funeral in 2020, I woke up here. I had no idea how or why. When I got here, I found out that I don't even exist."
E2 Laurel: "I'm sorry, how is that even possible?"
Dinah: "I don't know, but there's no trace of Dinah Drake or the Black Canary."
E2 Laurel: "And what? You're just fine with that?"
Dinah: "I guess I came to realize that not having an identity can either be sad or it can be oddly freeing. I can let go of the people I lost, the mistakes that I made."
E2 Laurel: "Not gonna lie, your zen is kind of creeping me out."
Dinah: "Thank you. You know, there has been no real crime in Star City in 20 years, Laurel. Zen's not that hard to come by."
E2 Laurel: "Well, I hate to break it to you, but Star City's not that safe anymore."

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – Mia identifies her engagement ring:
Mia (to her friends): "It was my mom's. JJ knew I'd want the family ring. He's honestly the most thoughtful guy in the world."

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – Mia and Adult William have a conversation at her college graduation party:
Adult William: "Can I just say what an amazing man of honor I'm gonna make at your wedding?"
Mia: "William!" (Hugs him)
(Adult Zoe approaches.)
Mia: "Zoe! Hi!" (Hugs her)
Adult Zoe: "I hope you don't mind me crashing."
Mia: "Never. It is so good to see you. (To Adult William) Where's Kevin?"
(Adult William sighs.)
Mia: "No. I thought he was the one."
Adult William: "Yeah. Well, apparently only having one partner was his problem. But it's fine. This is your day. Speaking of tomorrow, there's gonna be an office for you at Smoak Tech."
Mia: "How many times do I have to tell you, Tech is not really my passion."
Adult William: "What is your passion exactly?"
Mia: "I don't know."
Adult William: "Because you can't be a socialite forever."
Adult Zoe: "Hmm, she technically can."
Adult William: "No. No, I'm sorry. She is way too smart for that."
Mia: "Okay, can I just enjoy tonight before I have to start adulting?"
Adult William: "Fine. But I need a drink."

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) - DELETED SCENE: E2 Laurel and Dinah crash Mia's college graduation party:
(E2 Laurel and Dinah are walking along the second floor mezzanine, both wearing formal wear. E2 Laurel is wearing a dark blue, glittery, sleeveless, v-necked, drapey outfit with full, flowy pants legs, with a matching, long, flowy scarf around her neck. Dinah is wearing a black, long-sleeved, v-necked, drapey outfit with full, flowy pants legs.)
E2 Laurel: "I thought it'd be a lot harder to crash this party."
Dinah: "You know, you already dragged me into this. You sure we need to do the same to Mia? She doesn't even remember."
E2 Laurel: "Mia travels in the same vapid circles as Bianca. We can use that. Just follow my lead."

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – Mia and E2 Laurel argue over whether or not Adult JJ is Deathstroke:
E2 Laurel: "Are you really that naive?"
Mia: "Are you really that judgmental?"

809 (Green Arrow & the Canaries) - DELETED SCENE: Mia has an uncomfortable dinner with JJ after she starts getting her other, pre-Crisis memories back:
JJ: "Is there something wrong with your food?"
Mia: "Why did I order this? It's so gross."
JJ: "It's your favorite dish."
Mia: "Right. I guess I'm not hungry."
JJ: "You okay?"
Mia: "Yeah. Totally. You never came over last night. Where were you?"
JJ: "Did you not get my text?"
Mia: "Ehm."
JJ: "Calloway asked me to work late. That investors' exhibit we're working on has him on edge."
Mia: "So you were working. That's it?"
JJ: "Where else would I be? Are you sure that you're okay?"
(He reaches over to take her hand. Mia has a memory flash of Deathstroke JJ holding a sword to her throat, bleeding her, and she quickly pulls her hand away.)
Mia: "Um. Yeah. Yeah. I, uh, guess I'm just worried."
JJ: "About?"
Mia: "Bianca. She's missing."
JJ: "I hate to be the one to break this to you, but she is not missing. She just ditched your party."
Mia: "No, I actually think she might be in trouble. I haven't heard from her in three days."
JJ: "You know how she is. She's probably just off grid."
Mia: "Wow. I certainly hope I never go missing. You might not even notice."
JJ: "Of course I would. Where is this coming from?"
Mia: "Never mind. (Her phone pings) Oh - I have to go."
JJ: "Wait - what?"
Mia: "I'm so sorry."
JJ: "You're still coming to the gallery later?"
Mia: "I'll be there." (Leaves)

809 (Green Arrow & the Canaries) - DELETED SCENE: Dinah and E2 Laurel tell Mia about JJ's suspicious financial activity:
E2 Laurel: "Oh, how's Operation Prove Your Fiancé's Not A Creepy Kidnapper going?"
Mia: "What's the big emergency?"
E2 Laurel: "So not well."
Dinah: "We've been looking into JJ's financial records."
Mia: "Okay, that's not invasive or anything."
E2 Laurel: "Good news. We found something."
Dinah: "JJ has been hiding cash. He's funneling it into a business account at Willard Calloway. It's a shell holding."
Mia: "Which proves what exactly?"
E2 Laurel: "Ah, mercs. They cost money. You can't exactly write them a personal check. He's washing the money."
Dinah: "And we can prove it, except the accounts are too encrypted to access remotely. We need to be on site."
E2 Laurel: "Lucky us. We know someone who can get us on the guest list."

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – E2 Laurel reveals her personal history with E2 Oliver to Mia, and they argue:
E2 Laurel (over comms): "You know I dated your dad, right? Well, a version of him anyway."
Mia (over comms): "Gross."
E2 Laurel: "My Oliver also went down on the Gambit, also cheated with my sister."
Mia (over comms): "Please stop talking."
E2 Laurel (over comms): "People are who they are, Mia, no matter what timeline, universe, or Earth, and that's not your fault."
Mia (over comms): "Was that supposed to be some kind of pep talk?"
Mia: "Okay, I just accused my fiance for nothing."
E2 Laurel: "Oh, he'll get over it. Or, you'll move on to someone who wasn't a homicidal maniac in another life. Win-win."
Mia: "Oh, frak you."
E2 Laurel: “Do you see how selfish you’re being?”
Mia: “Me? You’re the one who’s using my friend to drag Dinah and me back into this superhero crap. Just because you can’t handle the fact that Star City’s fine and doesn’t need you to be the Black Canary anymore.”
E2 Laurel: “And here I thought making you remember your old life would open your eyes to how pointless and stupid your new one is.”
Mia: “My stupid and pointless life is the one that my father sacrificed himself to give me. Don’t you dare trivialize that!”
Mia: “You had no right to make me remember. All that did is bring back the suffering and the loss. Because that’s all being a hero is.”

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – Adult JJ breaks his engagement to Mia after she accuses him of kidnapping their friend, Bianca Bertinelli:
Adult JJ: "When I see you, I see the rest of my life. I can't marry someone who doesn't feel the same."
Mia: “Please.”
Adult JJ: “No. I think it’s best if we take some space.”

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – Dinah figures out that the video image of Bianca was altered:
E2 Laurel: “We’re running out of time. Please tell me you’re close to finding something on that video.”
Dinah: “Our hunch was right. There’s evidence the image was altered. I’m running a decryption program, but it’s gonna take a bit.”
E2 Laurel: “Since when did you learn to do all this Felicity stuff?”
Dinah: “I was a police captain, Laurel. I have tricks, like knowing when someone’s not telling me everything. For example. Like you.”
E2 Laurel: “What?”
Dinah: “You’ve been pushing Mia real hard, which is weird, because normally you keep a fairly healthy, snark-filled distance from caring too much about anything. This is personal.”
E2 Laurel: “Look, I wasted a lot of time pretending to be something I wasn’t because it was easier, and I don’t Mia making the same mistake.”

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – Mia and E2 Laurel have a heart-to-heart conversation:
Mia: "JJ broke up with me, if you even care."
E2 Laurel: "I do care. You're strong enough to get through this. You're strong enough to get through anything. I've seen you do it."
Mia: "Is that why you woke me up?"
E2 Laurel: "Mia, I spent so much of my life choosing the easy path. And for me, that meant becoming Black Siren and destroying things and killing people. It's not a good look."
E2 Laurel: “Mia, this is your city… and you’re the Green Arrow.”

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) – Adult William and Mia stand at the base of the Green Arrow statue erected in honor of their father, Oliver Queen:
Adult William: “I can’t believe it’s been 20 years since he sacrificed himself to save the city.” (His watch beeps)
Mia: “Who’s that?”
Adult William: “Oh, just the Star, the Globe, the Gazette, Byline, Channel 52. They all want to know if I’m the Green Arrow.”
Mia: “Of course they do.”
Adult William: “Isn’t it a little misogynistic that they’re not calling you as well? I mean, come on, guys, it’s 2040.”
Mia: “Oh, my God. You brought the pet rock.”
Adult William: “Excuse me, are you referring to the hōzen? This is the closest thing we have to a family heirloom, passed down from Dad to Aunt Thea to Mom and to me. Show some respect, please.”
Mia: “May I see it?”
Adult William: “Yes, you may.”
Mia: “Thank you.”
(Mia recognizes the pattern on the hōzen rock as being the same as the design that was tattooed on bad guy Trevor’s wrist.)
Mia: “What the hell?”
(Two tranq darts hit Adult William and Mia. Two guys drag away Adult William, while Mia falls unconscious to the ground.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Someone posted 3 deleted Mia scenes from 809 that were included in the recently released Arrow S8 dvd/blu-ray (if you recall, another fan had tweeted a list of deleted scenes from that dvd here) - I've also transcribed these deleted scenes and added the transcriptions to my above post...

Arrow 8x09 – Green Arrow and the Canaries: Deleted Scenes
ARROWverse Russia   May 2, 2020

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I've transcribed the fourth and final 809 deleted scene from the Arrow S8 blu-ray and added it to my above transcriptions...

809 (Green Arrow & The Canaries) - DELETED SCENE: E2 Laurel and Dinah crash Mia's college graduation party:
(E2 Laurel and Dinah are walking along the second floor mezzanine, both wearing formal wear. E2 Laurel is wearing a dark blue, glittery, sleeveless, v-necked, drapey outfit with full, flowy pants legs, with a matching, long, flowy scarf around her neck. Dinah is wearing a black, long-sleeved, v-necked, drapey outfit with full, flowy pants legs.)
E2 Laurel: "I thought it'd be a lot harder to crash this party."
Dinah: "You know, you already dragged me into this. You sure we need to do the same to Mia? She doesn't even remember."
E2 Laurel: "Mia travels in the same vapid circles as Bianca. We can use that. Just follow my lead."

Edited by tv echo