Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: A House Divided

• Start Topic

After a stressful first month of dieting, the sisters head back to Atlanta for their one month check in with Dr. Procter to find out if they are on the right path to their weight goals. The results force Amy to make a difficult decision. 

This is the regular episode thread. It will be open after the US East Coast showing.

Original air date 2020.01.22   

I am late to the epiosde. For some reason, I started thinking of smelly people. I realized the stinkiest people I’ve ever encountered were actually thin. Then again that may be due to the fact they are mobile. Every scooter cart person I’ve passed had no discernible odor. Maybe just me? 

Were they actually participants in the water aerobics class?  Because if so, they were being rude as fuck.  

Anyways, apparently Tami can navigate stairs when she wants to, so maybe from here on in she can stop with the dramatics.  

Is living life without a comb a personal life choice for Michael?

• LOL 13
  • Love 7

Tami becomes less likeable with every passing moment and although I hated them both at first, Amy is actually becoming MORE likeable. Particularly when she's not with Tami.

I did appreciate Dr. P basically saying "yeah if you want a drink go get it yourself." I mean that's pretty basic. and Tami wants to be "in on" the discussions re: her moving out? Well sweet cheeks, it's not your house and you're pretty much a terrible person making them miserable. They can, in fact, make a unilateral decision to bounce you out on your ample behind.

Both would benefit from actual nutritional education. WHile Shrimp Creole was very likely a much better choice than she would have made (and delicious) does Dr. Procter not try to put them on high protein diets? Shrimp Creole is really carby. (disclaimer: I haven't watched anything with Dr. P before, just Our Reverend Saint Dr. Now, and I missed part of the episode with the original consultation).

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, queenbee24 said:

Tami becomes less likeable with every passing moment and although I hated them both at first, Amy is actually becoming MORE likeable. Particularly when she's not with Tami.

I really think they bring out the worst in each other.

• Love 22

I did appreciate Dr. P basically saying "yeah if you want a drink go get it yourself." I mean that's pretty basic. and Tami wants to be "in on" the discussions re: her moving out? Well sweet cheeks, it's not your house and you're pretty much a terrible person making them miserable. They can, in fact, make a unilateral decision to bounce you out on your ample behind.

Both would benefit from actual nutritional education. WHile Shrimp Creole was very likely a much better choice than she would have made (and delicious) does Dr. Procter not try to put them on high protein diets? Shrimp Creole is really carby. (disclaimer: I haven't watched anything with Dr. P before, just Our Reverend Saint Dr. Now, and I missed part of the episode with the original consultation).

I'm sure it's also fantastically high in sodium.  I wonder why they would go out to eat at a place where everything is fried?  

If you took a drink everytime Tami said she couldn't do something or it was "really hard" or offered an excuse, you'd die of alcohol poisoning before the first commerical break.

25 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

100% this.  

Amy isn't as bad, but there are times when I can tell she is pushing tami's buttons.  

• Love 17

I appreciated Dr. Ritz' intro to codependency but he needs to get way deeper into that for Amy's sake, and Tammy needs to hear it and recognize what's going on. I have some codependency tendencies myself and the best thing I ever did was learn about the importance of establishing personal boundaries. To me, that's a key lesson Amy needs in order to succeed. 

• Love 15

Tammy's child-like behavior e.g., "Wheeeeeee!" when entering the pool creeped me out 😞  Then they acted like complete buffoons when they were in there. I think they've been isolated for so long that when they are out in public together, as a coping mechanism, they retreat into their weird little world and act like fools.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

Tammy's child-like behavior e.g., "Wheeeeeee!" when entering the pool creeped me out 😞  Then they acted like complete buffoons when they were in there. I think they've been isolated for so long that when they are out in public together, as a coping mechanism, they retreat into their weird little world and act like fools.

I felt like 89% of this episode was them being real adult humans.  Not particularly sympathetic human adults, but  people I could recognize as adults. 

Then somewhere around the pool scene they devolved right back into farting, burping and 12, year old humor. 

Can't wait to meet Tammy's new online beau who definitely does not have less than pure motives.  

I also can't with tami, she is totally dependent on her sister and instead of trying to become independent she is looking for a man to transfer her total dependence to.  Goodness. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, GoGamecox said:

I appreciated Dr. Ritz' intro to codependency but he needs to get way deeper into that for Amy's sake, and Tammy needs to hear it and recognize what's going on. I have some codependency tendencies myself and the best thing I ever did was learn about the importance of establishing personal boundaries. To me, that's a key lesson Amy needs in order to succeed. 

I hope they get individual long term therapy.  They really need it, and Amy seems receptive to it.  Having Tammy move out would be a great first boundary to set.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Yet I see flashes of seriousness with Amy. I think with the right support Amy could do okay. She seems to want to try from what I have seen. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 15

Yes, I think Amy actually wants to turn her life around and is willing to put at least some effort into it.  She will probably have plenty of bumps and won't be an amazing success story, but I do believe she will get to the point of surgery eventually.  Tammy, on the other hand, doesn't seem to want to do anything, because if she will get better, she will have to do stuff for herself, from getting her own food to moving out, and she is terrified of that.   She probably only agreed to be on this show because she thought it would bring her more publicity and more followers and more money...

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16
55 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I hope they get individual long term therapy.  They really need it, and Amy seems receptive to it.  Having Tammy move out would be a great first boundary to set.  

Yes to all of this. You can see when Amy is away from Tammy (like at dinner with her husband) she doesn't act a fool. She also seems to be trying- adding different exercise, trying to improve her food choices, etc.

I think it's completely and totally selfish for Tammy to want Amy to wait on weight loss surgery. Also, if Tammy had 3 braincells to think this out, who does she think is going to take care of BOTH of them if they have it at the same time?

The jealousy of Tammy is going to tear them apart if Amy doesn't break free.

• Love 12

This program is so late that I don't usually watch until several days later and even then I FF through most of it.  If Tammy does lose weight, maybe she can have a cross-over to Dr Pimple Popper.  Yesterday as I was channel surfing, I saw a few minutes of the Dr who was removing a forehead lipoma.  It was smaller than Tammy's and only on one side.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I feel like Tammy's forehead bulge might actually be her brain trying to break free through her head. "No use for me in here...might as well see what's on the outside!"

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

That's true with a lot of sisters. Speaking from experience.

That plate of food in the restaurant could have fed a family of four.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
40 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I feel like Tammy's forehead bulge might actually be her brain trying to break free through her head. "No use for me in here...might as well see what's on the outside!"

It may have tried first to escape out of her ear, and got blocked by ear wax.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Yes to all of this. You can see when Amy is away from Tammy (like at dinner with her husband) she doesn't act a fool. She also seems to be trying- adding different exercise, trying to improve her food choices, etc.

I think it's completely and totally selfish for Tammy to want Amy to wait on weight loss surgery. Also, if Tammy had 3 braincells to think this out, who does she think is going to take care of BOTH of them if they have it at the same time?

The jealousy of Tammy is going to tear them apart if Amy doesn't break free.

Yes, at the dinner I saw the way she comported herself, like an adult. 

• Love 7

I just have to say that it makes me cringe that Tammy and I share the same name - especially when people on these threads spell the name the way I spell it - Tami, which I don't think is the way she spells her name. I also have a best friend named Amy, so for some reason this really bugs me that their names are Tammy and Amy!😩😄

• LOL 10
3 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

I just have to say that it makes me cringe that Tammy and I share the same name - especially when people on these threads spell the name the way I spell it - Tami, which I don't think is the way she spells her name. I also have a best friend named Amy, so for some reason this really bugs me that their names are Tammy and Amy!😩😄

I feel the same way when there is a person on a reality show with my name.

• LOL 2

I'm about two minutes into this episode, and I may not make it. Are my eyes deceiving me? Are Michael and Amy really eating at a restaurant called The Feed Bag?

Oops, I was wrong. It's The Feed MILL.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, RealReality said:

Were they actually participants in the water aerobics class?  Because if so, they were being rude as fuck.  

True.  They came in late and loudly.  I'm assuming that TLC made arrangements and hopefully gave a generous contribution to the Y.  (Wasn't it a Y?)

• Love 7
6 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

With Tammy's health and needs, the unit next door would be ideal as a starting place.
I couldn't believe she expected Amy to wait for surgery.  Dr. Now always does one first, when there have been 2 together.  
One heals and the other takes care of the person.

• Love 13

Tammy needs to move to the other side of the duplex and start taking care of her own needs like drinks and food prep.  I understand going withn Tammy for grocery shopping, but she can sit down to do food prep and cook.  I've seen others do it.  She's scared, but she's also a parasite on Amy.  No time like the present to get independent living arrangements. 

• Love 10

Amy annoys me too. She's overly indulgent with martry complex. All that crying seems fake to me. So, she cries due to feeling guity over putting food on Tammi's plate....please. She loves the verbal banter, so she can play the role of the good sister.  I hope they both can learn some life skills in therapy. I honestly don't think Tammi really wants to change her life. And, they both seem clueless about calories, portion size, nutrition, etc.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Amy annoys me too. She's overly indulgent with martry complex. All that crying seems fake to me. So, she cries due to feeling guity over putting food on Tammi's plate....please. She loves the verbal banter, so she can play the role of the good sister.  I hope they both can learn some life skills in therapy. I honestly don't think Tammi really wants to change her life. And, they both seem clueless about calories, portion size, nutrition, etc.

I agree about Amy.  She enjoys being the good, skinny sister who has a man and has her life in "order"

For someone like Amy to play that role she needs someone as needy and manipulative and demanding (and fat) as Tami.  

I remember my ears perking up when Tami said she wanted to go back to the pool and Amy said something about her walking to the mailbox.  Of course Tami should walk to the mailbox but if you were desperate for her to lose weight, wouldn't you just take her to the pool?  Especially when Tami is so passionate about not walking?

• Love 9

Is it asking too much for them to enunciate?

Or does fat affect vocal ability? 

I get that Tammy's missing tooth makes her lisp, but please practice the big words.

Also,  I wish the doctor would not call them  "guys".  Hi guys. Are you guys ready? Ok, guys, good luck. 

It sounds unprofessional and they are women,  or ladies,  or even gals, since this is the South. 

Tammy is a bully and master manipulator and fucking scary mean.

I notice they are both quick to blame the other vs. Owning their own shit.  Although they both gave lip service to their own issues this week. But their usual repartee is you, you, you, etc....

Why is this show fascinating? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

I kept waiting for her to whip out her Hulk Smash! voice last night but it seemed she baby-talked her way through the whole episode. 

There's always next week. 

I had to laugh during the scale scene. Tammy's so shocked that standard scales don't weigh 600 lb people, guess what Tammy weighing 600 lbs is NOT standard! Then when Amy was telling her to weigh on it because it wouldn't hurt, yeah except the scale would be broken after rendering it useless. What kind of budget do these people have anyway? They seem to buy useless exercise things just to show them on tv and now scales that they don't care about breaking.

I also thought it was extremely selfish of Tammy to expect Amy to wait on the surgery if she were to get approved. It could be 10 years from now and Tammy would still probably be eating candy bar cake and most likely bedridden (well, if she makes it to 10 years). I'm not an Amy fan by any means but I do feel bad that she'll probably end up taking care of Tammy for the rest of her life since Tammy will likely never be able to take care of herself (or WANT to take care of herself, since it's so much easier having others waiting on you hand and foot).

Edited by sara1025
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Is it asking too much for them to enunciate?

Or does fat affect vocal ability? 

I get that Tammy's missing tooth makes her lisp, but please practice the big words.

Also,  I wish the doctor would not call them  "guys".  Hi guys. Are you guys ready? Ok, guys, good luck. 

It sounds unprofessional and they are women,  or ladies,  or even gals, since this is the South. 

I notice they are both quick to blame the other vs. Owning their own shit.  Although they both gave lip service to their own issues this week. But their usual repartee is you, you, you, etc....

Why is this show fascinating? 

My guess is, the excess fat in their face pushes their lips closer together making it harder to enunciate? That's all I got lol.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Imo, part of the reason they talk the way they do is their upbringing. In the south, a lot of people use that kind of dialect or whatever you call it. It's prominant in certain socio-economic families. A part of it is habit and part is trying to be funny.  It's not just these sisters who are like that.

The lips seem to be pushed together. Perhaps fat is causing that. I wonder if their face will sag with weight loss. They seem to carry a lot of fat in that area.

Amy is way too pleased with her 10 pound weight loss. She was way short. Why is she so happy about it? It was like she wanted Tammi to think that she was successful....not true.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I have no doubt whatsoever that they both peed in the pool.  A lot.

I really wish public pools would force people to at least rinse off before going in the pool. don't most places have a sign about that in the locker room? I guess most just ignore it. But when you are that heavy it must be nearly impossible to clean yourself well. At least a last-minute rinse would help.

That means everyone must rinse off. You'd be surprised at how many people have a phobia or at least aversion to showering. Can be an anxiety and or depression thing. My sister is one of them. Her shrink told her she once had a patient who hadn't showered in over a year. She was the CEO of a major company. I'm guessing sponge baths and washing your hair in the sink.

Of course pools are chlorinated but i just don't trust that every pool is properly balanced.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 7

Oy! I think Amy needs to just go ahead and do what she needs to do and not worry about Tammy's guilting her into waiting. 

Seems like maybe there's a feed store or a vet's office where Tammy could weigh herself if the junkyard is so offensive?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, seasons said:

I really wish public pools would force people to at least rinse off before going in the pool. don't most places have a sign about that in the locker room? I guess most just ignore it. But when you are that heavy it must be nearly impossible to clean yourself well. At least a last-minute rinse would help.

That means everyone must rinse off. You'd be surprised at how many people have a phobia or at least aversion to showering. Can be an anxiety and or depression thing. My sister is one of them. Her shrink told her she once had a patient who hadn't showered in over a year. She was the CEO of a major company. I'm guessing sponge baths and washing your hair in the sink.

Of course pools are chlorinated but i just don't trust that every pool is properly balanced.

I actually saw a show a couple years ago about people who won't shower or bath.... Apparently it's a phobia and one woman on the show hadn't had a shower or bath for nearly 2 years, she washed her hair in the sink and used a face cloth in sink of water to wipe down the rest of her body.

She actually thought it was perfectly fine and that she was just as clean as people who bath and shower but then she pointed out that her tan never goes away or gets lighter and she showed her legs and feet and her feet had obvious tan lines from wearing flipflops but she hadn't tanned for almost 2 yrs.

I couldn't believe that she didn't realize the reason her tan never goes away is because she isn't cleaning her skin properly!

I've had dark tans from summer but if you wash and scrub yourself it lightens over time but hers was still dark with white tan lines.... I was horrified!  😲

2 hours ago, seasons said:
10 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I have no doubt whatsoever that they both peed in the pool.  A lot.

Whitney Thore, My Big Fat etc., loudly announced that she'd peed in the hot tub.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Oy! I think Amy needs to just go ahead and do what she needs to do and not worry about Tammy's guilting her into waiting. 

Seems like maybe there's a feed store or a vet's office where Tammy could weigh herself if the junkyard is so offensive?

The junkyard guy was a total doll and absolutely respectful.  It was relatively private,.the workers barely looked up and the guy in charge didn't seemed nice and un-phased.  

It honestly seemed a lot more embarrassing to get weighed in Dr. Proctor's office.  Those recycling guys probably see thousand pound loads all day. 

1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Whitney Thore, My Big Fat etc., loudly announced that she'd peed in the hot tub.

What?  Why?  Why did she do that?  

Pools aren't giant toilets, are they?  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

What?  Why?  Why did she do that?  

Pools aren't giant toilets, are they?  

Apparently she does it all the time....but it gets better....  her friends were angry because everyone was ready for a relaxing soak... but she insisted that they get in anyways and sit in her steaming piss soup.... and they did! 😲

Edited by Joan of Argh
Spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think people pee in pools all around whether fat or not.  I would think adults would know better, but, I doubt it.  Pool chemicals should cover it though. 

My concern with the super morbidly obese swimming in the pool is the bathroom hygiene.  There is no way that they can clean themselves after BM.  Even with a tool that reaches, I don't see how they can do it.  So, unless they have a caregiver who is doing it, how does it happen?  I hope that any particles would be contained inside their swimsuit.  I hope the pool chemicals would be strong enough to cover it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think people pee in pools all around whether fat or not.  I would think adults would know better, but, I doubt it.  Pool chemicals should cover it though. 

My concern with the super morbidly obese swimming in the pool is the bathroom hygiene.  There is no way that they can clean themselves after BM.  Even with a tool that reaches, I don't see how they can do it.  So, unless they have a caregiver who is doing it, how does it happen?  I hope that any particles would be contained inside their swimsuit.  I hope the pool chemicals would be strong enough to cover it. 

LOL, I don't go in swimming pools and after this I am not inspired!

I always say the ocean is really a giant fish toilet, but it's different. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 1/23/2020 at 4:30 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

And, they both seem clueless about calories, portion size, nutrition, etc.

So much this. This show and My 600# Life do not ever speak of portion sizes. That is more important that calorie count! I work at keeping my weight in the healthy range and I was shocked, really shocked, at how little a tablespoon really is. Don't even get me started on 3 ounces of UNCOOKED protein. Thankfully, I have big hands so I measure my protein using the palm of MY hand because it allows me a more generous cut. They tell me that I only live once.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I watched the bonus episode again, and it showed each of them doing their social media thing,
Tammy was reading messages of support, and seemed really happy that there were no hate messages. 
Amy was filming a selfie.

• Love 1