Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: J. T.'s Story

• Start Topic

I got home late on Wed and slid in for the last 30 minutes of chat but Mr. Twopper was already watching something that was not TLC on the only working tv we have at the moment.  I had it on record, but somehow I managed to see the last 10 minutes of the show before I saw the beginning so I missed how awful the chat implied he was until I watched the full episode.

I am not a great fan of hot dogs (I only buy Hebrew National), but when I think of a hot dog restaurant it is this place.  

https://thevarsity.com/locations?action=view&store_id=9

or this: https://www.chrishotdogs.com/

• Useful 1

Bonus scene is him travelling to Houston for the first visit and them having yet another painful non-conversation and yet another fast food stop (hot dogs).  Meh.   Watching the beginning of his journey again, he was miserable and annoying - he did improve towards the end.  Although he was extremely annoying, I kind of feel for him - he didn't have anyone else to talk to and seems to ruminate within his own head.  Someone introduce that man to the idea of internet.

PS  I just remembered that he met Jessica online, so he does know it exists.  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5

I saw the Bonus Scene, and they had to go to the drive thru at Arby's after two hours on the road, and stop for the night?    I wonder how many days it took to do an 8 hour drive to Houston?    And he slept in until afternoon, so they were even further behind.    And he was so nasty to Jessica, I can see why she left him in Houston, and went home.   Day 2, they meet the halfway point, which should be about 2 more hours, and he wants a huge lunch again!     

His guess was he was between 600 and 700 lbs, and he really was 892.    This is one time that Cassandra, the nurse's poker face came in handy.   

I don't care how much weight he loses, I still don't like him.     

• Love 7

Looks like they did it over 2-3 days both ways the first time.  

A blue box said that if he could time travel, he would have chosen 1945 so he could experience World War II.  Interesting choice to say the least... but depending on where he landed, it could have become very easy for him to stay under 1200 calories a day!  

His leg & lymphedema looked even worse from behind than from the front! And I did not need to hear him throw up!  I don't remember it from the original watch, I did doze off for a part of the show...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

And I did not need to hear him throw up!  I don't remember it from the original watch, I did doze off for a part of the show...

Oh, it was definitely there in the regular-size show. 🤢

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Hellga said:

A blue box said that if he could time travel, he would have chosen 1945 so he could experience World War II.  Interesting choice to say the least... but depending on where he landed, it could have become very easy for him to stay under 1200 calories a day!  

And combine that with his wish to live in Japan.  Too bad he couldn't have traveled back to 1945 and lived in Hiroshima.  That sounds mean, but this guy (especially at the beginning of the episode) was just a waste of space.  A LOT of space.

I hope Jessica is living happily somewhere . . . else.

• LOL 3
On 1/20/2020 at 7:10 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

J.T. is somewhere between 800 and 900 pounds, so of course he has a girlfriend.  I'm sure she fell for his sparkling personality and his smile (it's always the smile). 

When they met in person, she was so comfortable with him that she didn't even notice his weight! Oh, Jessica.

• LOL 7
23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw the Bonus Scene, and they had to go to the drive thru at Arby's after two hours on the road, and stop for the night?    I wonder how many days it took to do an 8 hour drive to Houston?    And he slept in until afternoon, so they were even further behind.    And he was so nasty to Jessica, I can see why she left him in Houston, and went home.   Day 2, they meet the halfway point, which should be about 2 more hours, and he wants a huge lunch again!     

His guess was he was between 600 and 700 lbs, and he really was 892.    This is one time that Cassandra, the nurse's poker face came in handy.   

I don't care how much weight he loses, I still don't like him.     

Can you imagine trying to guess your own weight and being off by a couple hundred pounds??  My mind is boggled. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 10

TLC reran his episode this afternoon so watched it.  

I really don't have any opinion of him and I usually like them or detest them.  It seemed like his eating came out of sheer boredom (as was the episode).  He was pretty mobile despite his weight and lymphedema (which weighs as much as me!).  

While his weight loss was impressive, keep in mind that he was 900 pounds.  He should have lost more even with the lymphedema and he was forced to lose it.  

What a miserable existence -- that group home would send anyone into a deep depression.  Ugh, a purple curtain serving as a door.  

One more thought -- his face was always comparatively thin, just like Steven A.  Both have all their weight below.  If you just saw either's faces, you'd never know how obese they are.

Just a sad episode.  It's hard watching depression.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Otter said:

Just a sad episode.  It's hard watching depression.

YEs, I am re-watching the Supersize version since I slept through about 30 minutes of the regular episode, and I can only take it in 20-30 minute installments.

• LOL 1

I could not get over the shithole that was home in Oklahoma- 2 people plus a dog living in that place? Surprised to see a W/D in that tiny place. So everyday all day they just lounge on that stanky bed and eat ? I felt bad for the dog.. hopefully she is getting more exercise and more outdoor time to be a dog 

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
  • Love 7

Count me surprised that JT made any progress, much less 400 pounds worth of progress. Given that the lymphedema looks over 100 pounds, he's actually well on his way. That thing was like a ball and chain made of flesh. During the episode, we were comparing the lymphedema to this South Park scene:

south-park-s14e03c09-women-love-huge-bal

• LOL 4
On 1/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Can you imagine trying to guess your own weight and being off by a couple hundred pounds??  My mind is boggled. 

The amount that he was off is almost twice my weight.

• Love 1

Standing Ovation for JT. (I am likely the only one standing).

400, 400! FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS in one year. Pretty amazing. Hell, I can't lose 30.

Sure, he is generally unlikable. He probably stinks like you wouldn't believe and eats like a zillion calories a day. However, he is addicted. Whatever the thoughts you have on addiction, it is disease based. Unlike drugs/alcohol, a food addiction is just a crazy difficult one to control. One can NOT live without food. Remember that.

JT somehow started getting things sorted out. He learned to follow a diet, control his cravings, focus on a goal and willingly remained in Texas WITHOUT one bit of support with the exception of his cousin visiting. Anyone who could manage that, please raise your hand. No doubt, I would have packed up my one stretched out pair of sweats, my hole ridden shirt, my dirty undies and high tailed it out of there to the nearest pizza joint. Sure, it took JT plenty of time. A behavior does not change in 5 minutes. A pattern of behavior does not change in 2 days. Let's not forget walking around with a 100 pound lymphedema, yet HE DID IT. If he used that as an excuse, I didn't hear it.  Additionally, he schlepped himself in and out of the van. He never called EMT to manually haul him. He had many, many, MANY emotional and physical obstacles to start to overcome.

I really hope he is successful. And, with that success, I hope he finds balance in his life and lifting depression. Nobody deserves to live that way. Good luck, JT. I just can't snark on you.  

Edited by Fig Newton
  • Love 11

I was late watching J.T. Clark's episode. I don't think it would've mattered if I missed it, it was pretty boring and J.T.'s monotone voice almost put me to sleep a couple of times.

My favourite part would be his 10-15 minute scene talking about how he loves food, in the beginning. Favourite tidbits include:

"It's all I live for and it's all I wanna do"

"Eating is better than sex" (Guess what J.T. and Jessica ain't doin') 😁

"If I'm awake, I'm either eating or waiting to eat, if I'm asleep, I'm dreaming of eating... I don't even want to be awake, a lot of times, if I can't eat"

"I hate when Jessica asks me to carry the groceries in, because Jessica knows I'll d anything for food" (this made me laugh)

"Feeding other people almost became a euphoric thing for me..."..... riiiigght.

and he compares getting out of his bed to cotton candy or pudding.

So... bottomline, Captain Pancake Nipples likes food. 😂

I'm glad Jessica woke up and broke up with him, seemed more like he wanted her around to get him food and probably clean rather than a girlfriend. Really annoyed me when he's just standing there and bitching about wanting to get to the hotel room, not to mention the way she's carrying his precious food, while also having to lock up the car.

One thing I did notice is that when he said "don't get all that now, I need to get to the room, just give me something I can carry so we can go." sounded like a voice over because it didn't sound like it was part of the scene, but I don't know why you'd record extra V.O. of yourself snapping at your girlfriend.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

When he says "noted" to Dr Now as he is being read the riot act....he is so damn smug I want to kick him in the lymphedema.  

Yes,  that's what made me dislike him. Just a nasty tone in his voice. I almost was afraid for Dr. Now , that he may hit Dr. Now. I am glad he lost weight he did seem to work hard on that but all in all an unlikeable person.

• Love 2
On 1/23/2020 at 2:02 PM, Kenzie said:

His worn and tattered clothing is so sad and indicative of how far he's fallen. It seems like there must be someone they know that could make a simple (if humongous) pair of stretch pants for him.

I really wondered about this. I really think clothing is available in his size through catalogs or the internet if nothing else exists in their town. Jess had some cute tops. Just confusing.

(I'm way behind. Trying to catch up on the season now.)

• Love 1
On 1/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Ben.w said:

I'm glad Jessica woke up and broke up with him, seemed more like he wanted her around to get him food and probably clean rather than a girlfriend. Really annoyed me when he's just standing there and bitching about wanting to get to the hotel room, not to mention the way she's carrying his precious food, while also having to lock up the car.

She looked so sad from her first scene on camera that (gasoline drawers ready?) I was actually hoping she'd do something for herself. When she asked him how he felt about her leaving, and his response was that it was stressful, I wanted to tell her to run. I hope she can get herself into healthier circumstances (physically and emotionally).

I recognize that addictions and discomfort can make any of us testy, but a hospital bed is probably the most comfortable place he could hope to be at that point.

Also, it can't be easy to have such a personal conversation on camera for the world to see.

Sigh. I actually wouldn't mind a follow-up with her, but I don't think I need to see his update -- but I wish him well.

• Love 4
On 3/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, IKnit4Cats said:

I really wondered about this. I really think clothing is available in his size through catalogs or the internet if nothing else exists in their town. Jess had some cute tops. Just confusing.

(I'm way behind. Trying to catch up on the season now.)

It definitely exists! (That page alone has pants and shorts up to 10XL)

I just watched this episode for the first time.

Depression, loneliness and hopelessness is no joke. I’m pleasantly surprised how stoic he continued his progress despite his circumstances. He lost 400 lbs in one year! I feel like his episode was cut short. I’d have loved to see the lymphedema removal and continued progress.

I believe once he has that mass removed he’ll be able to get around more and land himself a job. I’m rooting for him despite him being extremely unlikeable. He isn’t active on social media. I’d love to have an update on him.

• Love 2
On 1/20/2020 at 8:10 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I'm sure she fell for his sparkling personality and his smile (it's always the smile).  Of course, it seems this same personality drives her away. 

His face is much thinner than the rest of him, so he really does have a nice smile.
I can see that if someone only saw a headshot of him, they'd think he's much lighter.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, auntjess said:

Maybe housing prices are getting higher, because one person was allow to room in a house, and now a shelter, after a very long hospital stay.
I'd thought Dr. Now would have removed the lymphodema first, then bypass surgery, as he'd done with others.
I really want to see that gone.

I'd have sworn I hadn't seen this one when it first ran, so was surprised to that I had, and commented on it too.

Is J.T. the one who moved into a halfway house?   Or sober living house?   If so, they rent by the room, and have common areas, like the kitchen, and a living room, and the prices are much more reasonable than any apartment would be.    Plus, it means that there are other people around, at least part of the day, so it gives the resident some human contact, and someone who checks on them.   

On 1/23/2020 at 12:32 PM, WonTon said:

Also, that lymphedema was really nauseating. I had a hard time with this episode because of it. I kept fast-forwarding.

I think that's one of the greatest impediments others have in relating to him.  That lymphedema was simply grotesque! 

Also, I wondered why Dr. Now didn't INSIST on therapy for him?  He really could have used some counseling!!

16 hours ago, swankie said:

These people always have the smallest bathrooms!  

I think they're fairly normal sized bathrooms.  Take someone(s) you know whose weight - combined with yours - would be 600 pounds.  Now try to maneuver around the bathroom in a normal home as though you were one person.  All of a sudden, ANY bathroom is going to seem small.

• Love 3