Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Infestation

(edited)

Ooh! otto, don't forget the guy that Junior shot for attempting to rape Angie after killing Rose in the Sweetbriar. I don't remember if the brother survived; Linda had him a gun/rifle point. (Nope, just checked; both died.)  And poor Freddy, Linda's to-be brother-in-law, who was killed by Dome ricochet when that other deputy flipped out after the Reverend set that house on fire.

And Julia's Dead Husband, who kicked off season 1's death count!

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

It also seemed weird that they wouldn't show Angie's face after she died. Did they not want to pay the actress for the episode? It makes the character's death seem unimportant.

Well, considering the laughably bad way she died, it's par for the course and it was just there for angst and Joe/Jr to spout off terrible vigilante dialogue.

Thanks Actionmage, I completely forgot about the two guys in the SweetBriar Rose and poor ricochet Freddy.  At least Julia's dead husband got a burial in the woods.

Add all those up and there should have been twenty or so funerals by now.  Where are all the bodies being kept ?  Since there's no power I doubt they are in a fridge.

And with the funeral home director dead, who's picking up all these bodies ?

• Love 1

Boy, I was thinking... sure is lucky that that seeming old crop duster (what with the cobwebs and all) was filled with enough pesticide that would work for their situation and wasn't too old since they never even checked...

• Love 1
(edited)

I was wondering if those butterflies on Angie's body were somehow going to bring her back to life but transformed, like in the Batman movie when the cats licked Michele Pfeiffer back to life and transformed her into Catwoman.  Long live the Monarch!

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

Boy, I was thinking... sure is lucky that that seeming old crop duster (what with the cobwebs and all) was filled with enough pesticide that would work for their situation and wasn't too old since they never even checked...

This plot convenience is already gone onto the next contrived disaster.

I was wondering if those butterflies on Angie's body were somehow going to bring her back to life but transformed, like in the Batman movie when the cats licked Michele Pfeiffer back to life and transformed her into Catwoman.  Long live the Monarch!

And now I have a mental image inspired by the Over the Hedge comic strip, in which Hammy the squirrel often gets to go flying when his cloud of butterfly pals join together to pick him up and fly with him.

I'm afraid that this show may have crossed the line between "so stupid that it's fun to snark while watching" to "so stupid that it's just unbearable." I reached that point when there was one scene in which Barbie said he was going to spray that one last field, and the people on the ground told him he'd likely run into the dome and run out of fuel. And then he scrapes against the dome and runs out of fuel, and he seems shocked and alarmed by this.

What I would like to know, apropos of nothing really significant, is why Big Jim, back in the day, didn't just plumb the extra gas tanks into the fuel system. Why did he need a secret switch when he's the only one in the plane?

• Love 1
(edited)

There were so many leaps in characterization in this episode I got whiplash.

First of all, Julia suddenly feeling like she can't escape the orbit of Big Jim, except when she's out in the cabin with Sam?  When did she have time to hear Rebecca telling everyone in town how big a hero Big Jim is?  And suddenly, she feels like Barbie doesn't trust her because he is wary about that girl she saved?  It is too obvious where this is leading... Julia becomes attracted to Sam, who "understands" her better.  

And then Rebecca the schoolteacher.  When did she suddenly become a Big Jim devotee?  She seemed like she was working fine with Barbie and all of a sudden it's "I hate that Barbie's the hero when you're the true hero, Big Jim!"  Suddenly, she turns on the creepy I want to sleep with you look with Jim.

When did Phil become such a jerk.  Is he even the same character as the DJ?

Why would Joe jump to the conclusion right away that Angie was killed?  Are they planning to deal with his almost killing someone next episode, or is it going to be forgotten?  Like the person above, I also laughed when Julia said "I'm worried he's bottling it up", right after a scene where he vows to kill whoever did it.

I thought that red-haired lady Angela was actively talking back to Big Jim last season, but maybe I mis-remembered.  Are all the Townspeople brainless zombies or something?  The way they responded to the Cult of Big Jim meeting aka the funeral sure made it sound that way.  LOL how the extras were over-reacting to Barbie landing the plane.  That's a first for a celebration after pesticides are sprayed on crops.

Joe kisses Norrie and a bunch of dead butterflies fall from the sky.  He didn't seem to take the hint, though.

The idea of my junior year science teacher just making executive decisions that could effect the lives of everyone in town is hilarious. 

Better the science teacher than the used car salesman.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
(edited)

Beisdes the millions of things already pointed out  I want to know why Barbie only had about a gallon of gas in the airplane before deciding to take it up?

How do we know it is only suppose to be two weeks since the dome came down?

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

During the previouslies at the start of the episode, Barbie's voiceover actually states that "two weeks ago, an invisible dome crashed down on Chester's Mill"

• Love 2

There were so many leaps in characterization in this episode I got whiplash.

...suddenly, she [Julia] feels like Barbie doesn't trust her because he is wary about that girl she saved? It is too obvious where this is leading... Julia becomes attracted to Sam, who "understands" her better.

And then Rebecca the schoolteacher. When did she suddenly become a Big Jim devotee? She seemed like she was working fine with Barbie and all of a sudden it's "I hate that Barbie's the hero when you're the true hero, Big Jim!" Suddenly, she turns on the creepy I want to sleep with you look with Jim.

When did Phil become such a jerk. Is he even the same character as the DJ?

...Like the person above, I also laughed when Julia said "I'm worried he's bottling it up", right after a scene where he vows to kill whoever did it.

...Are all the Townspeople brainless zombies or something? The way they responded to the Cult of Big Jim meeting aka the funeral sure made it sound that way. LOL how the extras were over-reacting to Barbie landing the plane. That's a first for a celebration after pesticides are sprayed on crops.

The idea of my junior year science teacher just making executive decisions that could effect the lives of everyone in town is hilarious.

...Better the science teacher than the used car salesman.
I ♥ your whole post so much, Camera One, that it was hard to edit it down to the best bits. It would be a great start to a thread of, maybe, "Why Watching Under The Dome Will Give You Mental Whiplash" or something--not quite sure of the title.*

If someone was writing about this show in a PhD thesis in pop culture, the words "influenced by Sharknado" would surely appear.

Beisdes the millions of things already pointed out  I want to know why Barbie only had about a gallon of gas in the airplane before deciding to take it up?

*Maybe the thread would be titled "Things That Make Us Shake Our Heads And Almost Keep Us From Becoming Brainless Zombies While Watching Under The Dome." Regardless of the title, this would be on it.

Ooo! Ooo! I got this one! They actually said this at the beginning--which made Joe's hostile reaction to Norie's attempt to comfort him for the loss of his sister right after her own mother died make no sense at all--although what probably makes no sense is Norie making out with her new boyfriend days after Mom dies. But when Joe pointed the gun at the girl in the jail cell, I was sure that The Dome was making him do it. Maybe that would be the thread title: The Dome Made Them Do It
  • Love 1

There was this old show called Mystery Science Theater 3000 in which a guy and his two robot firiends sat and snarked throughout the airing of a bad sci-fi movie.  I think I'm still watching UtD so that I can come here and read everyone's snarky comments.

• Love 2
(edited)

When did Phil become such a jerk.  Is he even the same character as the DJ?

Not anymore, he did a complete 180 for some reason.

And then Rebecca the schoolteacher.  When did she suddenly become a Big Jim devotee?  She seemed like she was working fine with Barbie and all of a sudden it's "I hate that Barbie's the hero when you're the true hero, Big Jim!"  Suddenly, she turns on the creepy I want to sleep with you look with Jim.

Same with her.

I thought that red-haired lady Angela was actively talking back to Big Jim last season, but maybe I mis-remembered.  Are all the Townspeople brainless zombies or something?  The way they responded to the Cult of Big Jim meeting aka the funeral sure made it sound that way.  LOL how the extras were over-reacting to Barbie landing the plane.  That's a first for a celebration after pesticides are sprayed on crops.

Yes they are, these are the same people that built a gallow and wanted to see him hang recently.

Why would Joe jump to the conclusion right away that Angie was killed?  Are they planning to deal with his almost killing someone next episode, or is it going to be forgotten?  Like the person above, I also laughed when Julia said "I'm worried he's bottling it up", right after a scene where he vows to kill whoever did it.

This was just so terribly done and the dialogue was just awful.

First of all, Julia suddenly feeling like she can't escape the orbit of Big Jim, except when she's out in the cabin with Sam?  When did she have time to hear Rebecca telling everyone in town how big a hero Big Jim is?  And suddenly, she feels like Barbie doesn't trust her because he is wary about that girl she saved?  It is too obvious where this is leading... Julia becomes attracted to Sam, who "understands" her better.

Yes, he has LI written all over him.

As for Julia, that was just stupid, she's the one that's the most isolated compared to the rest of the characters.  She's supposed to be this special dome appointed leader and yet she's barely involved with much in this series compared to everyone else.

Edited by FAU
  • Love 1

I was really relieved when Barbie made fun of Big Jim's line about how "The Dome is testing me..." or something -- I really thought that was going to be a serious bit of dialogue, but at least when scientist lady was like "What's he talking about?" Barbie replied "Himself - haven't you noticed his hero complex" or something to that effect.

Still, there were loads of other hilarious lines which were 100% not reacted to, many of which people have already brought up.  Seriously "I'm worried he's bottling up his feelings", wow! 

(edited)
tv echo, on 09 Jul 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

There was this old show called Mystery Science Theater 3000 in which a guy and his two robot firiends sat and snarked throughout the airing of a bad sci-fi movie.  I think I'm still watching UtD so that I can come here and read everyone's snarky comments.

Oh, it's not old around here.  It's a Goddamn staple!  And yes, there should be a MST3K version of Under the Dome.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1
It is too obvious where this is leading... Julia becomes attracted to Sam, who "understands" her better.

And he didn't do things like, you know, kill her husband. Man this episode sucked. And not in the good way. It was just boring.

It is too obvious where this is leading... Julia becomes attracted to Sam, who "understands" her better.
And he didn't do things like, you know, kill her husband. Man this episode sucked. And not in the good way. It was just boring.

Plus, Sam is a drunk who's been on a bender for 2 weeks and likely didn't even know there was a dome over the town.  He had a garbage can full of empty bottles in his kitchen and half-empty mickey stuffed in between his couch cushions.  He was also apparently drunk in the Season 1 premiere when he called the police station. And now he's sober as  a judge until he finds another bottle.  

Sam apparently didn't notice when the dome went dark in the middle of the day (that created the false night), and only noticed something was wrong when the dome when all pulsing bright white with magnetism.

Julia sure can pick 'em -- husband was a gambler and her new love interest is a drunk.

Every scene with Phil the DJ Cop makes me feel like I'm watching an SNL sketch where Tim Meadows is playing a local radio DJ who all of a sudden becomes a cop.

"A bloody footprint of a woman's shoe. This should lead us right to the killer!"

"I should lock you up for harboring a suspect...and stuff."

• Love 4

Ok, along with all the other inconsistencies, did anyone else notice that there was a real lack of blood at Angie's death scene, considering that she was killed with an axe. No pool of blood on the floor when they moved her body, no spray on the walls, just that one hand print on the locker that no one bothered to open. Didn't anyone in this town watch CSI?

Yes they are, these are the same people that built a gallow and wanted to see him hang recently.

Recently would be yesterday.

Maybe the Dome is sending out fumes in the night that make people forget everything that happened the previous day?

• Love 2

So people looking after law and order under the Dome, a site of limited resources which would inevitably lead to even more conflict are:

1. Radio DJ, formerly hip and full of joy, now a killjoy

2. Used car salesman (please prostrate to show your devotion), also Cook of delicious breakfast 

3. Mentally unstable kidnapper, sometimes acting as an executioner who can't execute

4. Gambling debt collector, sometimes Pesticide Spraying Pilot

5. Last week drunk, this week Coroner

6. Coroner's assistant, formerly an inquisitive questioning reporter, now a strict adherent to Dome Logic

7. Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy, stealer of shoe and can also act as Executioner if needed

• Love 3

So, I guess we're dropping: the pink stars (which rose instead of fell), that the Dumb spoke directly to people (such as the 4 Hands of the Moron-apocalypse), that it told them specifically to kill Big Jim, that they are special in some way, that Julia is somehow King of the Monarchs, that Joe has drastically aged in a few hours (heh), that Joe and FiveHead make things happen when they make-out. 

What else will be dropped?

I wish the Dumb would just turn the power back on (with magic, or nanites, or whatever), so it can stop being so annoying as viewers to see that writers don't remember it's off and has been for two weeks!

• Love 2
(edited)
So, I guess we're dropping: the pink stars (which rose instead of fell), that the Dumb spoke directly to people (such as the 4 Hands of the Moron-apocalypse), that it told them specifically to kill Big Jim, that they are special in some way, that Julia is somehow King of the Monarchs, that Joe has drastically aged in a few hours (heh), that Joe and FiveHead make things happen when they make-out.

Just off the top of my head

-- the military camped all around the dome with great big banks of lights and helicopters flying overhead (how does no one inside the dome see the bright lights at night ?)

-- the insulin shortage -- just because they found some after the dome came down doesn't mean it will last forever

-- the poisoned lake water from the methane that killed all the fish (still not sure where all the methane came from in the first place)

-- that magnetism from the dome fried most generators under the dome (because whenever they show the view from outside the dome at night, the town is lit up like a Xmas tree).  There should be next to no portable generators -- anything not nailed down should be smashed to pieces at the base of the dome somewhere.

-- fuel shortage for cars/trucks -- any gas at the filling stations should be long depleted by now

-- water shortage -- they blew up Ollie's well and the lake is poisoned, where is all the fresh water coming from ?  The water tower (seen in the title card shot) should be dry by now.

-- garbage collection -- garbage, if it's being collected, should be piling up all over the place by now (especially with the fuel shortage)

-- plumbing problems -- with no source of water in the houses, and no working water treatment plant, shit should be backing up EVERYWHERE in all the houses/businesses

-- housing shortage -- there were a lot of houses near the dome, Angie/Joe's farmhouse couldn't be the only one destroyed ?  The dome pulled the church bell through the air from the church in the middle of town (which begs the question -- was the funeral for Angie in the same church that had the steeple destroyed by the bell removal and nearly killed the Scooby Doo gang ?) 

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Well, most small towns have more than one church, however this one only had one pastor, it seems.

I know what the dome wants, why it came. It is sealing off the dumbest pack of people in the history of humanity from the rest of society. The dome is doing it for us!

• Love 5

So Julia's entire relationship with Barbie has only been for 2 weeks including discovering he killed her husband, recovering from being shot, and everything else. 

I wish the Dumb would just turn the power back on (with magic, or nanites, or whatever), so it can stop being so annoying as viewers to see that writers don't remember it's off and has been for two weeks!

The sad part is that most of it happened in the finale 'cliffhanger'.

Where has Rebecca been all this time for the last two weeks ? Because she seems like quite the busy body, and a little bit on the bossy side -- I don't think she would have sat in the background ALL THIS TIME.

LOL.  They would need to edit her into every episode in Season 1 shouting "It's all about the MAGNETISM"!!!! 

(edited)

This show is thisclose to be a really good parody of disaster-mystery-scifi shows. All they need to do is give the viewers a hint that the writers don't mean for any of this to be taken seriously.  For instance, Rebecca could have told Barbie "Surely you don't think you will have enough fuel to do all the crops, do you?" and Barbie could reply "Don't call me Shirley.  My names Barbie."

Junior finds Angie in the hallway of the school getting sport-humped by a few hundred butterflies -- nothing odd about that at all.

I was certain that Junior would think the butterflies had killed Angie and would go ballistic and kill all the butterflies, forcing the dome to get angry and wreak more havoc.  But, the producers apparently realized that if Junior kills all the butterflies, there would be no reason for Barbie to go up in the plane and save the day. Oh, wait, it wasn't Barbie who saved the day ----

But Big Jim saves the day by telling him where the switch for the reserve tank is located -- what a crock of shit for building drama that goes nowhere ?

Rebecca insisting Big Jim is the real hero - Barbie risked his life, but Big Jim told him there was a reserve tank, so Big Jim is the true hero. Huh?   Why was the reserve tank such a big secret?  Big Jim was all angsty while deciding whether to let Barbie know about the reserve tank - he waited until mention until Barbie was out of fuel to mention it, instead of saying something when Rebecca (I think) told Barbie that he didn't have enough fuel to make another pass. 

What I didn't get was why Rebecca turned on Barbie so quickly. She seemed fine with him when they were conspiring for him to be the one to go up in the plane, then all of a sudden after she's all bitter toward him while talking to Big Jim.

Apparently Big Jim, and not the dome, is now the one with the magnetic personality.  Rebecca adores him, the townspeople now fawn all over him. 

Barbie and Julia are already starting to have friction

Plus the way Julia is eying Sam - I thinking she is feeling the seven -day itch. 

They kill off Angie (Britt Robertson, one of their more popular young actors) and they keep people like Nor and Julia. Angie would have been a better lead, and better with Barbie

IIRC, this show was supposed to be a mini-series and everything was supposed to be solved in a set number of episodes.  Then the network saw the ratings and decided to give it a second season. I am guessing that the actors that played Angie and Linda had other projects lined up (or realized the show was stupid) and wouldn't do a second season.  So they killed them off. This would also explain why we don't see Angie face after she dies.  I am also guessing that the guy who plays Big Jim told the producers "Look, I am getting really tired of playing bad guys, so I am only doing a second season if Big Jim becomes a good guy."

I don't understand the Rebecca character. She speaks with a certainty and authority that no high school science teacher should have in this situation The idea of my junior year science teacher just making executive decisions that could effect the lives of everyone in town is hilarious.

As is the local DJ being the head of law enforcement.   I think the real reason Big Jim re-opened the school was to get the science teacher to leave him alone. 

Julia sure can pick 'em -- husband was a gambler and her new love interest is a drunk.

And the one in the middle is a murderer for hire

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2