Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Next Level Rage Texts

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, oakville said:

I am shocked that Sandoval sent that angry text message to Stassi. It is the responsibility of the restaurant to ensure that there is enough bartenders available to serve the people showing up for her book signing.

I think he was annoyed that they were doing all of this, staffing the bar, getting extra people to work, etc. for free!  Like, why should she get all of this for free?  I am with him on that to be honest.  Of course, TomTom is making money on the sale of the drinks.  I guess it's part of the show. 

Sandoval hates Stassi (for good reason IMO) and he really doesn't want to roll out the red carpet for her, at "his" bar, and he is annoyed that he has to, and I would probably feel the same way.  Why couldn't she just have the stupid signing at Barnes and Noble? 

And why would anyone go to B&N, then get a wristband, and go to a second location to get a book signed??  I don't understand that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I think he was annoyed that they were doing all of this, staffing the bar, getting extra people to work, etc. for free!  Like, why should she get all of this for free?  I am with him on that to be honest.  Of course, TomTom is making money on the sale of the drinks.  I guess it's part of the show. 

Sandoval hates Stassi (for good reason IMO) and he really doesn't want to roll out the red carpet for her, at "his" bar, and he is annoyed that he has to, and I would probably feel the same way.  Why couldn't she just have the stupid signing at Barnes and Noble? 

And why would anyone go to B&N, then get a wristband, and go to a second location to get a book signed??  I don't understand that. 

I assume that Stassi had spoken to Lisa & Schwartz about the event a few weeks before it occurred.

Wouldn't that be enough time to ensure that enough staff was available for the event ?

TomTom gets additional publicity & revenues from hosting a book signing for Stassi.

I can't see Tom Sandoval getting angry at other guests if they decide to host events at his bar.

If the bar was short staffed, he could have volunteered to tend bar for the event. It wouldn't kill him.

Stassi is one of the stars of the show & Tom should show some respect for her.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Quoting myself to point out that this happened in 1997.  But I have heard that the brown lipliner, clear lip gloss is making a comeback... and I am on board.

That would be so Very!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, oakville said:

I can't see Tom Sandoval getting angry at other guests if they decide to host events at his bar.

Anyone else hosting an event would be paying for the space, so he wouldn’t yell at a customer.  She got the space for free, so she needs to be thankful.

I think he over-reacted, and acted a bit childish, but like Ariana pointed out (it pains me to agree with her) it was “childish” to not have everything properly set up before the night-before.  

I do agree Tom handled it improperly, but I don’t think she deserves his respect because she’s one of the stars of the dumb show.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, oakville said:

I assume that Stassi had spoken to Lisa & Schwartz about the event a few weeks before it occurred.

Wouldn't that be enough time to ensure that enough staff was available for the event ?

TomTom gets additional publicity & revenues from hosting a book signing for Stassi.

If the bar was short staffed, he could have volunteered to tend bar for the event. It wouldn't kill him.

All of that is what seems so fake to me. They knew it was going to be filmed, for sure Lisa did. Is it really likely that this event would have "no bartenders" available? That Lisa, or Ken, or the other two restauranteurs/partners (not the Toms) wouldn't have organized staff for it? They seem to manage to do that for everything else they have done over the years, and seems like something that would have easily been organized. Except in this one situation, which conveniently involves the VPR cast.

It just seems too cute a way to set up a huge, season long drama fest.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Jel said:

All of that is what seems so fake to me. They knew it was going to be filmed, for sure Lisa did. Is it really likely that this event would have "no bartenders" available? That Lisa, or Ken, or the other two restauranteurs/partners (not the Toms) wouldn't have organized staff for it? They seem to manage to do that for everything else they have done over the years, and seems like something that would have easily been organized. Except in this one situation, which conveniently involves the VPR cast.

It just seems too cute a way to set up a huge, season long drama fest.

It seemed to me that Lisa agreed to have the even at Tom Tom as a part of the show in lieu of cash. And Schwartz was out in charge for some reason (maybe Sandoval didn’t want to deal with it). Then a bartender (or two?) quit right before leaving then short staffed. Now unless Sandoval and Stassi had a conversation about the staffing issue prior to the rage texts where she was being a pill (which is possible) it’s still a bit of a mystery why Sandoval went off on Stassi. My guess is that he was already annoyed at doing the event in exchange for an extra day of filming at Tom Tom (which my guess is the deal that was negotiated with production. I’m guessing Lisa wants the cameras at her places as much as possible. From what I’ve read they aren’t actually very good restaurants so they tourism market that comes because of the show is a big part of their market. They aren’t doing this for free for Stassi. They’re doing this for free for the show. Both Toms would know that) went out with James, James got drunk and started some conspiracy theory about how Stassi was doing something to cause something (I’m still not totally clear on Sandoval’s issue) and talked Sandoval into sending the text. Then Sandoval was too embarrassed to back down and apologize and went to Tom Tom to try and convince everyone he was right. He would have been so much better off sending Schwartz a “Fine you deal with it. I’m staying home to flat iron my hair” text. Still unprofessional, but a sort of normal unprofessional for this group. Then if Stassi has gone off on him (which she probably would have for missing her event) she would have looked like the bigger asshole.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, FozzyBear said:

It seemed to me that Lisa agreed to have the even at Tom Tom as a part of the show in lieu of cash. And Schwartz was out in charge for some reason (maybe Sandoval didn’t want to deal with it). Then a bartender (or two?) quit right before leaving then short staffed. Now unless Sandoval and Stassi had a conversation about the staffing issue prior to the rage texts where she was being a pill (which is possible) it’s still a bit of a mystery why Sandoval went off on Stassi. My guess is that he was already annoyed at doing the event in exchange for an extra day of filming at Tom Tom (which my guess is the deal that was negotiated with production. I’m guessing Lisa wants the cameras at her places as much as possible. From what I’ve read they aren’t actually very good restaurants so they tourism market that comes because of the show is a big part of their market. They aren’t doing this for free for Stassi. They’re doing this for free for the show. Both Toms would know that) went out with James, James got drunk and started some conspiracy theory about how Stassi was doing something to cause something (I’m still not totally clear on Sandoval’s issue) and talked Sandoval into sending the text. Then Sandoval was too embarrassed to back down and apologize and went to Tom Tom to try and convince everyone he was right. He would have been so much better off sending Schwartz a “Fine you deal with it. I’m staying home to flat iron my hair” text. Still unprofessional, but a sort of normal unprofessional for this group. Then if Stassi has gone off on him (which she probably would have for missing her event) she would have looked like the bigger asshole.  

I guess, for me, the whole thing hinges on this: I do not believe either Tom has any real part in running the restaurant. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't believe they do the scheduling. And, the show needs drama to survive. And the Toms have never really had a feud before, so it would be fresh! new! different! drama. Etc. I'm just so cynical about all of it.  

I'm not excluding the fact (respectful strike through - possibility) that Tom S is too full of himself and Tom Sch. is incompetent -- both of those things can still be true and fit into a conspiracy theory. Do we really buy that Ken, Lisa, and the other real partners (Nathalie and Guillermo?) would leave the day to day running of the bar to Tom and Tom? Or even any part of the running of it?  

That's a bridge to far for me.

• Love 6
On 1/22/2020 at 9:23 AM, AttackTurtle said:

At the end of the day, Lisa/Ken and the other couple (names I can't remember) are the real owners of Tom-Tom and the idea that Sandoval has any actual authority there is pretty laughable.  

I completely agree, but what does Sandoval believe about his power in the partnership?  During the bar's planning and construction, iirc, even Lisa was astounded by his delusions of authority about his 'ownership' position and power which leads me to believe Sandoval actually does believe he's a 'bar owner' rather than the verrry minor partner he is and that he's basically powerless.  Sure, he may make supervisory decisions such as making sure shifts are covered or ordering extra mixers due to a scheduled party, but the big decisions that actual owners like Lisa and Ken make such as redecorating or changing the menu - not a chance.  And, Sandoval's very flawed logic and his absent professionalism with the way he handled Stasi's party will probably guarantee it's going to be a very long time before anyone trusts him to handle anything important.  production may have had the cast intensify their reactions but I think for the most part, the interactions are fairly organic.  Sandoval's ego, and dare I say,  plus a degree of narcissism, are not only unattractive, but are going to hold him back from becoming the successful and respected businessman he already thinks he is.

Edited by rayndon
  • Love 7
On 1/29/2020 at 11:00 AM, Jel said:

Do we really buy that Ken, Lisa, and the other real partners (Nathalie and Guillermo?) would leave the day to day running of the bar to Tom and Tom? Or even any part of the running of it?  

That's a bridge to far for me.

Not a chance!  I doubt they're responsible for a.n.y.thing at all.  They probably don't have a key to even get in.  They were probably only involved with Stassi's book launch party because it was an episode for the show.  I believe Lisa & the other real owners know exactly why the Toms are not more involved than they are - heck, it's obvious.  Using them & their names was a great business decision, imo, and keeping their involvement in the operations of the bar limited was probably key in their contract terms, something that probably constantly eats away at Tom Sandoval.  If he wasn't such a pompous ass about so many things, he might have been able to have a bigger role.  Oh well, he has no one to blame but himself.

• Love 4
On 2/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, rayndon said:

Not a chance!  I doubt they're responsible for a.n.y.thing at all.  They probably don't have a key to even get in.  They were probably only involved with Stassi's book launch party because it was an episode for the show.  I believe Lisa & the other real owners know exactly why the Toms are not more involved than they are - heck, it's obvious.  Using them & their names was a great business decision, imo, and keeping their involvement in the operations of the bar limited was probably key in their contract terms, something that probably constantly eats away at Tom Sandoval.  If he wasn't such a pompous ass about so many things, he might have been able to have a bigger role.  Oh well, he has no one to blame but himself.

I think you’re onto something. I don’t think Lisa ever lied to the Toms about their role at TomTom. They have a minority stake in the club and are being allowed to buy in partly as a publicity stunt (I wouldn’t be surprised if they are also allowed some sort of sweat equity for the use of their personalities for promotion). But really they are spokespeople. They are no more in charge of TomTom than Jennifer Gardner is in charge of Capitol One banking. Schwartz and Katie seem fine with this arrangement and seem to look at it as a a chance to start to build something more stable for after the show, but have no real delusion about their role. They know they still work for Lisa just in a way that means she can’t fire them without also buying them out. It gives them more security but not really more power or responsibility. Sandoval and Ariana seem it think they are entitled to own TomTom outright. Which is sort of silly since they don’t own 95% of the place. I think it’s partly a stance for the show, but also rooted in some very interesting entitlement issues Tom and Ariana have always had.  

Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 6
On 2/2/2020 at 9:56 AM, FozzyBear said:

Which is sort of silly since they don’t own 95% of the place. I think it’s partly a stance for the show, but also rooted in some very interesting entitlement issues Tom and Ariana have always had.  

I am just watching the repeat and I actually feel embarrassed for Tom Sand. He IS literally telling people to come to him FIRST for any activities to do with Tom Toms. His attitude towards Tom2 really bothers me because Tom2 knows exactly what their roles are. When they are showing clips of the Toms discussing the event, days in advance, I can only think that Tom1 realizes he is no longer relevant in Vanderpump Rules.

• Love 3
On 1/28/2020 at 5:44 PM, heatherchandler said:

I do agree Tom handled it improperly, but I don’t think she deserves his respect because she’s one of the stars of the dumb show.

Bottom line - no client should ever be aware of what is happening behind the scenes, regardless of being a cast member. Rental of the space would have been minor given that all the attendees were buying either beer or wine (which doesn't require qualified bartenders.) Fake plotline.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:05 AM, Carolina Girl said:

"Bartend??  We don't bartend!  We're the owners!"  No, dude, a good owner does everything he can to make something a success.  Here's an event that is bringing people into your establishment and all you can think of.  I have  a friend that owns a very successful bar in San Francisco.  Back in the day, I went there on a Saturday night and found him behind the bar, when his usual post was walking around, chatting and schmoozing with the patrons.  He told me one of "the kids" had to call in sick and he couldn't get a replacement.

And Sandoval?  People DO work more than 12 hours a day.  In California, all that means is that you have to pay them double time for all hours after 12.  I'm in the law biz, honey, and I've worked 30 hours straight getting a major motion out the door.  

Thank you!!!  I have one friend who's a partner in a law firm and I won't even get into how many hours she works!!  That joke about her husband needing to make an appointment to see her is actually true!!  I'm a registrar and sometimes I'm at the hospital for 72+ hours. 

I absolutely despise that high-and-mighty attitude that Sandoval has, believing that he's too good to work certain tasks.  There's no such thing in a job.  He didn't want to be a tray passer at a Pump event because he found it 'demoralising' and because being a bartender is at the top of the tier.  Even if you're a 100% owner, if the toilet needs cleaning, you do it.  If there are any other dirty jobs that need to be done, you do it.  If you're a retail manager and the team members who work at the point of sale are sick, you jump on the register.  If the people-greeter is not there, You Do It!!!

Also, being an owner is not the same as being a manager.  You can be both, but an owner who merely put some money into the business does not translate into being a manager, which requires more skills.  Telling people what to do is not the same as being a manager.  He has no management training or experience.  If he wants respect as an actual business owner, he can start by doing actual training program for it.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, 2dogmom said:

the very sad thing about this...naive men and women from all over see this show and think they can come to Los Angeles and live this life on bartender wages.  you do not get to wait tables and buy a 4000 sf new build in the valley with your bartender boyfriend.  you split a shitty apartment and can barely pay your dry cleaning bill.

People thought the same about living in New York after watching SATC and Friends.  Both Carrie and Monica lived in rent-controlled apartments.  If you were to pay rent on those apartments, for Carrie's, it would be over $4,000/month because it's on the Upper East Side and maybe even more for Monica's.  It's pretty huge for a NY apartment.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:46 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Having her hair pulled tightly in a ponytail n top of her head, a la Madonna during her pyramidal bra stage isn't doing Schemer any favours, either.

OMG, the Madonna hair!!!  Years and years (and years and years and yearsssss) ago, I watched 'In Bed with Madonna' and was actually really surprised that it was a ponytail attachment she had pinned on, and she actually had short hair. 

On 1/24/2020 at 5:07 AM, Kiki620 said:

When Scheana was grilling Max about the status of his relationship with Dayna, oh how I wish he would have responded, "that's really none of your business".  He just fed her ammunition.  And this little boy, gremlin looking douche is the hottest thing in town?  Same for waiter Brett.  Really?  Gross.   

Happily married, but I enjoy looking at beautiful people, both male and female.  So when someone is considered to be good-looking and end up being blehh, I feel duped!!!  Lisa described him as a looker, and that's why she wanted him to train her.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:20 AM, ghoulina said:

It's the traction alopecia she's given herself by being a slave to extensions.

Yeah, the way you style and tie your hair affects your hairline.  It's one of those things like not wearing sunscreen of which you don't see the effects until later in life.  I know that scrunchies aren't fashionable, but silk scrunchies really do wonders for your hair.

• Love 2