Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: The Scorpion Queen

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 1/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, AttackTurtle said:

I don't care what Rhylee's intentions were in that moment.  I care that a man arrogantly called her a "fucking bitch" knowing full well he was being filmed and not giving two fucks. 

I felt for Rhylee because she made it clear to Kevin that she wanted some of those items he's was monopolizing in the market. Was it really necessary for him to tell the clerk he'd take it "all" knowing Rhylee was right behind him, waiting patiently to buy some. And then he found it amusing that she was P.O.'ed with him for grabbing it all and being a pig. So I think that was the 'last straw' and she went off on him.

• Love 6
On 1/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, esco1822 said:

Her behavior does not exist in a vacuum. It is the result of the way she has been treated since day 1. .....The guys have admitted to doing things to both exclude her and piss her off. Her losing her cool time after time does not justify their behavior. 

As well, Rhylee's response and subsequent angry tirades are no more, and no less, 'despicable' than her male counterpart's. It appears to me that the deck crew is unwilling to acknowledge the same 'bad behaviour' within themselves.

• Love 4
On 1/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, pieinmyeye said:

Friendship bracelets, how sweet. Maybe they can form their own sorority. 

What really bothers me is that Brian could have extended an olive branch to Rhylee (for the upcoming last charter) by purchasing, and offering her, a bracelet as an apology for ostracizing her, but Noooo.... These young 'uns have no f'king clue and never will. I will be happy to never see any of them again.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:43 PM, peacockblue said:

Kate looks like a stoned out hippie Ann Bancroft in all her island boho chic maxi-dresses 

Tanner: "Are you trying to seduce me Mrs. Robinson...?" lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, scrb said:

If you scream at your boss or someone who decides what kind of tasks you perform, you might find you get shitty tasks.

"The more you know."

💡

And if you treat your employee from day one as if she is dead-weight and lead a group of people to also treat her badly, you may get an angry and frustrated employee.

The more you know, indeed.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

And if you treat your employee from day one as if she is dead-weight and lead a group of people to also treat her badly, you may get an angry and frustrated employee.

The more you know, indeed.

I'll just say based on Season 6, it doesn't take much for Rhylee to get angry and frustrated.  My main point being is that I think the brus are jerks and treat Rhylee poorly, but Rhylee is also a difficult person to manage. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I'll just say based on Season 6, it doesn't take much for Rhylee to get angry and frustrated.  My main point being is that I think the brus are jerks and treat Rhylee poorly, but Rhylee is also a difficult person to manage. 

Season 6 was on yesterday and I thought the same thing watching it!  

For me, I dont care how hard you work if your attitude is constant hostility, complaining about the mundane tasks and passive aggressively muttering insults under your breath. 

If they leave and comeback to the worklpace, I would be pissed that I'm stuck working with someone I have to walk around on eggshells on the off hand chance I might say or do something that pisses her off.

The Brus ARE horrible.  But rewatching last season reminded me that Rhylee over reacts to lots and lots of things.

This season she does have legit reason, but this season is also giving her anger issues cover by default of the behavior of her co workers.

It could all be for tv.  Sometimes I wonder if her previous coworkers watch and what they know and what they think.

• Love 3
On 1/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Rhylee would last about ten minutes working under Kate. The first time they told her about how they folded napkins on her fishing boat in Alaska Kate would start her campaign to get her fired.

Rhylee’s whole deal was illustrated by the saga of the bowline. The bowline is the most basic knot in sailing and the first knot you learn. The fact that she was ship captain and didn’t know how to tie it is very suspect. She resented Ashton showing her how to tie it and said she got along fine in Alaska tying knots any old way.

I can totally see her telling Kate that she doesn’t need to put out napkins since in Alaska they just wipe their mouths on their sleeves.

OMG. The end of your post still has me cracking up five minutes after I initially read it. 

I think I read somewhere that after seeing the episodes, Captain Lee says he would never work with Ashton again. That may go for the other brus as well.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Sure. I believe I said she has some anger issues. No one is claiming that she's a saint or perfect. But a good manager knows how to manage those difficult personalities without resorting to ostracizing that person or calling her bad names. Ashton is not a good manager. And the brus are a bunch of self-satisfied, misogynistic jerks. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Chalby said:

I felt for Rhylee because she made it clear to Kevin that she wanted some of those items he's was monopolizing in the market. Was it really necessary for him to tell the clerk he'd take it "all" knowing Rhylee was right behind him, waiting patiently to buy some. And then he found it amusing that she was P.O.'ed with him for grabbing it all and being a pig. So I think that was the 'last straw' and she went off on him.

Right. Even if Ryleigh wasn't there - maybe some other customer would come along and want those things. WHY did he need to buy them all? He said he was going to serve them to the guests. The primary mentioned wanting "sexy food", not experimental Thai street food. I'm gonna watch him like a hawk this last charter. There better be a fucking scorpion at every meal. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

But a good manager knows how to manage those difficult personalities without resorting to ostracizing that person or calling her bad names. Ashton is not a good manager. And the brus are a bunch of self-satisfied, misogynistic jerks. 

I think Ashton is a bad manager, and Rhylee is a bad employee.  Together, they bring out the worst in one another.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I think Ashton is a bad manager, and Rhylee is a bad employee.  Together, they bring out the worst in one another.  

But there is an inherent power differential. Rhylee isn't a great employee, though she is a hard worker and willing to learn. But her mediocre-ness as an employee should only affect her.  Because Ashton is a bad manager, he is in a position to create a bad environment for Rhylee, which he has done. He's created an environment where any question she asks or any task she takes on is questioned and nitpicked to death.

Being a mediocre or bad employee is not great. Being a bad manager who uses group dynamics to alienate someone - rather than actually doing your job and managing them - is worse. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, dosodog said:

Season 6 was on yesterday and I thought the same thing watching it!  

For me, I dont care how hard you work if your attitude is constant hostility, complaining about the mundane tasks and passive aggressively muttering insults under your breath. 

If they leave and comeback to the worklpace, I would be pissed that I'm stuck working with someone I have to walk around on eggshells on the off hand chance I might say or do something that pisses her off.

The Brus ARE horrible.  But rewatching last season reminded me that Rhylee over reacts to lots and lots of things.

This season she does have legit reason, but this season is also giving her anger issues cover by default of the behavior of her co workers.

It could all be for tv.  Sometimes I wonder if her previous coworkers watch and what they know and what they think.

This walk on eggshells concept really intrigues me. I find that this explanation gets used so incorrectly all the time. It' not walking on eggshells to NOT be rude or disrespectful to someone you are working with or who is working for you. It's NOT walking on eggshells to make sure you use the correct tone when delivering instruction, assigning tasks or addressing concerns. Rhylee has demonstrated that she can enter a situation or task in a neutral way. It may not be laced with smiles or overjoyus energy but at the very least she approaches most of interactions at an even level to start. Last season she was treated poorly. Chandler set the stage and Rhylee was already on 10 when he left so it gave Ross and Ashton a lot to handle but both Ross and Ashton did have a few consdescending moments with her. I remember that season and thinking to myself, "damn Rhylee is not wrong" but hey different perceptions and all that so that's where I'll leave my thoughts about last season.  

Here's the thing. Not being congenial enough is not the same has having a bad attitude or being a disrespectful employee. I think it's a cop out for the guys to claim that they "have to walk on eggshells" when in reality what they really are mad at is the fact that they think they should be allowed to give Rhylee shit because puts on a steely demeanor with them when they are acting up.  She's short and curt and because she doesn't apply any finesse to already strained interactions they consider that her "having an attitude".  Rhylee is a woman who refuses to put balm on any situation and instead she keeps it business as usual without any extra bells and whistles. I know I harp on the sexist angle a lot but it's these little nuances that go unnoticed that makes Rhylee's side so hard to understand or follow. Rhylee really isn't all that combative. She refuses to play the expected soft around the edges female role and that gets mistaken with blatant insubordination. You have to really be observant and mindful of the actual interactions of the crew and truly determine whether its Rhylee being difficult/disrespectful or is it the men overreacting to her less than demure, straight to the point tendencies.  This is her defensive mechanism when she knows things are going left whereas we've seen her be rather pleasant and upbeat so it's not like she withholds the positive side of herself on a regular basis, just when tensions are high which that's her right. 

It's easy to claim that they just want her to show the respect that is required of her position but that's not what it is because when she's working she does respond rather simply and respectfully even if it is a bit short. It doesn't need to be dripping in sweetness and anyone that demands that of her is exhibiting the double standard between what's expected of men and what's expected of women. Not that respect isn't expected from both but it's how the respect is determined. 

It really is hard to unveil the concept behind it all. It gets so lumped into respect/disrespect which of course is valid but its more about what the men want to label disrespectful and why. Not being pleasant isn't disrespectful. Not dripping with sweetness is not disrespectful. But if you see a lot of the frustration that happens during the interactions the men have with Rhylee the anger build up usually starts with how they receive Rhylees pretty basic responses to them. They can't stand that she doesn't hide her distaste for them and for some odd reason they seem to think she owes them that. Not hiding the fact that I can't stand your ass with fake smiles and sweet tones isn't the same as me disrespecting you. It's me not giving you the satisfaction of making you comfortable because I don't have to. That's what they call walking on eggshells. Them wanting to have a reaction and retaliate to her lack of ass kissing and knowing that it will result in her checking them. To me that's not them having to walk on eggshells. To me that's just learning how to stop expecting someone to cater to your fragile male ego. 

Rhylee isn't muttering insults among the crew. Most of the time when they show clips of Rhylee grumbling she's usually off on her own and not around any of the other crew and the footage we do see of her going off is most of the time a reaction to how she's being treated. There are hardly any examples of Rhylee being the one who initiated some confrontation. I HATE the idea that someone has to slap on a fake smile for the pleasure of their co workers. Hey, I'm all about not being a mood killer in the work place. As displeasing as the co worker in the corner with a sour face is, I should be grown enough to adjust and only worry about how MY attitude can get me through the rest of the day and hell maybe even help the sour employee get through theirs since it seems like they are having a rough go at it. Whatever the case, at the very least I expect grown ups to be mature enough and professional enough to not make it a point to antagonize someone else cause their mood is bringing YOU down.       

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

But there is an inherent power differential. Rhylee isn't a great employee, though she is a hard worker and willing to learn. But her mediocre-ness as an employee should only affect her.  Because Ashton is a bad manager, he is in a position to create a bad environment for Rhylee, which he has done. He's created an environment where any question she asks or any task she takes on is questioned and nitpicked to death.

Being a mediocre or bad employee is not great. Being a bad manager who uses group dynamics to alienate someone - rather than actually doing your job and managing them - is worse. 

Thank you!

He's also created an environment where the other men on the crew feel that they have power over Rhylee as well which skeeves me the fuck out. It's disgusting to see how excited and willing they seem to be to pile onto Rhylee. It's unnerving to see their level of satisfaction over Rhylees dismay. Yuck!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

He's created an environment where any question she asks or any task she takes on is questioned and nitpicked to death.

I feel like I've missed something.  I mean, the last episodes showed Rhylee's general complaint (after the failed effort to get her fired) was that she was getting crap assignments, not that anyone was questioning or nitpicking what she was doing.  From what I recall, she spent most of the time muttering under her breath about the assignments, then later had another blow up with Ashton.  I'd just say I wouldn't work with either of them and call it a day.    

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

maybe some other customer would come along and want those things. WHY did he need to buy them all?

They would have gone to a different stall and bought them there. I mean I agree he was a dick because he knew Rhylee wanted some (in a similar situation I would have bought them all and than just given my coworker one) but blaming him for not leaving any for hypothetical customers makes no sense for him or the vendor. It’s not even like he bought a ton of them they were part of a few things he got that fit in a not very big bag.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I feel like I've missed something.  I mean, the last episodes showed Rhylee's general complaint (after the failed effort to get her fired) was that she was getting crap assignments, not that anyone was questioning or nitpicking what she was doing.  From what I recall, she spent most of the time muttering under her breath about the assignments, then later had another blow up with Ashton.  I'd just say I wouldn't work with either of them and call it a day.    

It’s pretty clear that no one in their right mind would hire Ashton or Tanner. Similarly Kevin’s interaction with the chef chick and his general sloppy performance would preclude anyone hiring him as well. Of course you would be a total idiot if you hired Rhylee.

Which proves one thing beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Captain Lee is an idiot.

Talk about being girls. These m misogynistic a** holes Are much worse.  There are like baby strowing a two-year-old's tantrum. And Ashton is the prime Criminal. He is bullying. Bullies don't just pick on someone, they gather other people to join in and they isolate the person they're picking on,  Sound familiar??  He is pure evil. Reilly has a mouth, but she came in this year trying to work with him. And she followed the captain's orders. If any one of these 3 guys come back, I'm not watching anymore. I hope Bravo reads these and realizes how much people dislike him and the other guys.The other guys are the grown men and they should not have followed Ashton/Ashhole.

• Love 3

Talk about being girls. These m misogynistic a** holes Are much worse.  There are like babies throwing a two-year-old's tantrum. And Ashton is the prime Criminal. He is bullying. Bullies don't just pick on someone, they gather other people to join in and they isolate the person they're picking on,  Sound familiar??  He is pure evil. Reilly has a mouth, but she came in this year trying to work with him. And she followed the captain's orders. If any one of these 3 guys come back, I'm not watching anymore. I hope Bravo reads these and realizes how much people dislike him and the other guys.The other guys are the grown men and they should not have followed Ashton/Ashhole.

Kevin is a douche as well. I have never seen the chef present the food so often. He has such a big ego, he has to get accolades every time he serves a dish. He even had to pick the dishes that they used.

Edited by antfitz
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

It’s pretty clear that no one in their right mind would hire Ashton or Tanner. Similarly Kevin’s interaction with the chef chick and his general sloppy performance would preclude anyone hiring him as well. Of course you would be a total idiot if you hired Rhylee.

Which proves one thing beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Captain Lee is an idiot.

Or it proves that production is heavily involved in selecting the crew and they do it based on personality, rather than their resume. I sincerely doubt Captain Lee has much power over who is cast. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, antfitz said:

Talk about being girls. These m misogynistic a** holes Are much worse.  There are like babies throwing a two-year-old's tantrum. And Ashton is the prime Criminal. He is bullying. Bullies don't just pick on someone, they gather other people to join in and they isolate the person they're picking on,  Sound familiar??  He is pure evil. Reilly has a mouth, but she came in this year trying to work with him. And she followed the captain's orders. If any one of these 3 guys come back, I'm not watching anymore. I hope Bravo reads these and realizes how much people dislike him and the other guys.The other guys are the grown men and they should not have followed Ashton/Ashhole.

Kevin is a douche as well. I have never seen the chef present the food so often. He has such a big ego, he has to get accolades every time he serves a dish. He even had to pick the dishes that they used.

Also I've never seen so many people criticize their immediate superiors. It is close quarters with a small crew and you just don't do that period even Simone got into it heavily. Just because she didn't agree with certain things Kate did.   You just don't do that because it fosters the kind of attitudes and actions that were evident on this trip. The guys and Kevin and somone should grow up and grow a pair. You do your job and deal with it as best you can.

When Ashton was on WWHL  last week, he said he’d stopped drinking and was “working on” his behavior. When asked if that meant he was in therapy, he gave bs about you having to “know yourself”. Sounds like the bs he gives the Captain. But most of all bs he tells himself.After watching his behavior, I would hope no one ever hires him in a supervisory role. Even as a third deckhand.

Kevin was on WWHL last night. When asked how he would feel if men treated his daughter like they did to Kate & Rhylee. He replied “first I wouldn’t raise my daughter to be a bitch...” or a version to that effect. He showed absolutely no awareness of his behavior. He thinks he didn’t do anything wrong, everything is Kate’s fault. He’s another who shows no awareness. As he was talking the bravo polls on team Kate v Ashton & the bro’s was about 90% for Kate.

All the bros were in the audience, showing the same cluelessness. They still feel it’s all the women’s fault. They were “bitches”. I hope they finally realize what they did. If Bravo brings any of these assholes  back, I’m out.

I still think the Captain should’ve been notified by production immediately after Asston’s behavior with Kate. 

IIRC, Kevin went to an associate degree. He acts like he’s Cordon Bleu chef. But I think he’s in over his head. He may have some talent but he’s lazy with that “talent”. Kate from minute one didn’t bow to him. That’s where his hatred of Kate starts. He was asked on WWHL why he didn’t read the preference sheet. He started blubbering but said that it was at least 8 pages. Essentially admitted to not reading preference sheet.  

• Love 1