Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: The Scorpion Queen

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

44 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

There's no doubt that that scene was meant to be hateful. Having issues with Rhylee doesn't excuse being deliberately hateful. Rhylee isn't deliberately hateful. She's defensive. She's not walking into a room shouting insults and creating conflict cause she's bored. She's not intentionally creating discomfort for laughs. How Rhylees behavior gets turned into the "real" problem while we see the men gleefully gang up on her in many different ways and scenarios really puzzles me.

This is a great point. Let's not draw a moral equivalence between being defensive and being aggressively mean.

Edited by bencr
  • Love 18

I saw that Ashton is trying to do a "Oh, I'm better now" spin on things.  Have the other "bru" boys spoken out since these episodes aired?  

I'm hoping that Tanner's Mom saw him doing things like laughing at the crew table and recognized it for what it was.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Which indicates that it is not just the guys she has a problem with on this crew. They tried to peddle the story that she was close to Simone but she didn’t say anything either. 

Sometimes the best way to deal with someone who makes everything a problem is not to deal with them at all.

Which is more an indication of their infantile behavior than anything she has done. And that applies to the female members of the crew who sat there and did nothing.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, L2vagaJovi said:

Which is more an indication of their infantile behavior than anything she has done. And that applies to the female members of the crew who sat there and did nothing.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Well considering the fact that she only has conflicts with men who are disrespectful to her I find that example pretty hard to believe considering Collin has shown himself to be a pretty nice and respectful dude.  

Strong women really aren't some men's cup of tea so there is that. 

And Kate trying to be nice to her.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Well considering the fact that she only has conflicts with men who are disrespectful to her I find that example pretty hard to believe considering Collin has shown himself to be a pretty nice and respectful dude.  

Strong women really aren't some men's cup of tea so there is that. 

Some toxic personalities are brought onto Bravo shows because they can’t get along with anyone and the nastiness they revel in is great for the drama. Tamra Judge, Kenya Moore, Danielle Staub, Katie Maloney and Ramona Singer are just some of the people who are there to cause trouble because of their toxic personalities. Rhylee is just the one they brought on to stir it up Below Deck. She is very good at her job.

I don’t know if Colin would befriend Rhylee but since he is a pure Beta anything is possible. I think he is conflict adverse and didn’t like the drama Travis brought by his drunken antics so I  don’t think he will hold Rhylees hair while she pukes out obscene invectives in the middle of a market. It is more likely that he would cower behind the group and argue with himself if he shouldn’t quit this shit show.

Rhylee is sly and never pulls her rage antics in front of the Captain. I think if he witnessed some of her spittle flecked obscene tirades he would fire her and rightly so. I also think if he was aware of Ashtons violent outbursts he would have fired him as well. His “management” style has just gone to prove that he is a piss poor Captain and needs to retire.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jack Sampson said:

And Kate trying to be nice to her.

Actually no, Kate had just finished admonishing Rhylee about her "black out rage" being the reason why Courtney was crying. Which I found ridiculous because um Brian being an asshole was the reason Courtney was crying so for Kate to try and pin that on Rhylee was straight bullshit and that's not really being nice so. But like I said maybe it doesn't come across the screen the same way everywhere.??

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Some toxic personalities are brought onto Bravo shows because they can’t get along with anyone and the nastiness they revel in is great for the drama. Tamra Judge, Kenya Moore, Danielle Staub, Katie Maloney and Ramona Singer are just some of the people who are there to cause trouble because of their toxic personalities. Rhylee is just the one they brought on to stir it up Below Deck. She is very good at her job.

Rhylee gets along pretty well with all the girls.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Actually no, Kate had just finished admonishing Rhylee about her "black out rage" being the reason why Courtney was crying.

Rhy was yelling at Kate before then.  Kate was just trying to get her in the van.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Actually no, Kate had just finished admonishing Rhylee about her "black out rage" being the reason why Courtney was crying. Which I found ridiculous because um Brian being an asshole was the reason Courtney was crying so for Kate to try and pin that on Rhylee was straight bullshit and that's not really being nice so. But like I said maybe it doesn't come across the screen the same way everywhere.??

She wasn’t trying to pin Courtney crying on Rhylee but Rhylee was preventing them from leaving because she needed to yell some more at the boys and than completely overacted when Kate tried to get her in the van for the 40-50 minute ride home. 

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

Rhy was yelling at Kate before then.  Kate was just trying to get her in the van.

Oh that's right. When she was in the middle of dealing with the gang up of the men.  Yeah, that is true.  And I think it's right around there where you see Kate's talking head explaining how she received that particular interaction. 

Also, not to diminish the bit of support Kate was displaying for Rhylee she was also trying to deescalate the situation. That's not exactly being nice to Rhylee that's more like trying to diplomatically diffuse the situation. Plus Kate's "niceness" in that moment was short lived when her own frustration got the best of her and she proceeded to then try and throw Rhylee under the bus. So once again, Rhylee's behavior doesn't exist in some vacuum. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

When she was in the middle of dealing with the gang up of the men.  Yeah, that is true

She wasn’t in the middle of dealing with them. They were in the van and ignoring her and she had to go open the door and yell some more at them about trying to get her fired because she literally can’t let anything go.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She wasn’t trying to pin Courtney crying on Rhylee but Rhylee was preventing them from leaving because she needed to yell some more at the boys and than completely overacted when Kate tried to get her in the van for the 40-50 minute ride home. 

Rhylee: "What's the matter?"

Kate: "What do you think is the matter? Your black out rage"

How does that exchange turn into the above explanation? 

It also was an unnecessary comment to make. It wasn't designed to make anything better and it was Kate NOT being nice which is sooooooo funny to me cause she just spent sooooo much time trying to calm Rhylee down only to do that? I mean come on. REEEEE-DIC-U-LOUS!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She wasn’t in the middle of dealing with them. They were in the van and ignoring her and she had to go open the door and yell some more at them about trying to get her fired because she literally can’t let anything go.

Wait, hold on so because the atrocious behavior of the men happened some minutes before Rhylee wasn't supposed to still be mad? Look I get how Rhlyee's whole van sillyness was ridiculous. I get that, but let it go? Really? Nah, man and just because Kate thinks Rhylee is supposed to have a cap to how hurt and upset she can feel about it doesn't mean Kate has the right to also go in on her. 

This whole limitation to Rhylee's allowance of hurt and feelings is so peculiar to me. I find it interesting that a person can't have a reaction to people who purposely set out to hurt her or have a time limit or pain limit like someone set an egg timer. So very curious. 

This constant need to invalidate Rhylees hurt and pain even though we've seen their antics towards confuses me to no end.

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Rhylee would last about ten minutes working under Kate. The first time they told her about how they folded napkins on her fishing boat in Alaska Kate would start her campaign to get her fired.

Rhylee’s whole deal was illustrated by the saga of the bowline. The bowline is the most basic knot in sailing and the first knot you learn. The fact that she was ship captain and didn’t know how to tie it is very suspect. She resented Ashton showing her how to tie it and said she got along fine in Alaska tying knots any old way.

I can totally see her telling Kate that she doesn’t need to put out napkins since in Alaska they just wipe their mouths on their sleeves.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Rhylee’s whole deal was illustrated by the saga of the bowline. The bowline is the most basic knot in sailing and the first knot you learn. The fact that she was ship captain and didn’t know how to tie it is very suspect. She resented Ashton showing her how to tie it and said she got along fine in Alaska tying knots any old way.

When exactly did Ashton try to show her how to tie it? She actually asked him to let her try it after saying they don't use them on her boat. At no point did he show her anything. What he did is get frustrated with her and then call her and Tanner (who also cannot tie a bowline) up to "practice" and when she very calmly and actually meekly asked him a question, he flipped on her. She has also since demonstrated that she can tie a bowline. Ashton at no point taught her how to tie that knot. She has demonstrated her willingness and ability to learn and has been met with nothing but conflict by the guys. A prime example was putting away the pool. She stood back and told Brian that she was never there when they rolled it up (I wonder why?) and was looking for guidance from him since he had done it before. His reaction was just frustration and to complain that she always starts problems. She cannot win with these guys.  

• Love 16
20 hours ago, dleighg said:

I really appreciated Courtney in this episode. She has a head on her shoulders. I appreciated her calling out Brian-- "You can tell Rylee to calm down all the time, but when I try to de-escalate things-- and tell you to calm down, you blow up." Kate was (IMHO) a bitch to Rylee on the ride home-- but in general the girls were trying to de-escalate things when they were out, but the boys were having too much fun being the boys.

OTOH during the making-no-room-for-Rylee-at-the-table thing-- I thought the girls in the middle (at least Simone was there-- maybe someone else), I don't know why they didn't scootch toward the middle and then pointedly say to the guys to move over. Pretty much everyone at the table would need to scootch to make room. Everyone, girls included, just sat there blankly, which IMHO was not very nice.

I think Kate was, like, enough already, and I don't blame her one bit. Rhylee gets fucking carried away. I don't think she should take crap but she definitely has some anger management issues.

But I definitely agree that the girls at the table sat there like cowards instead of saying something. That's why the boys hate Kate. She would have said something

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, esco1822 said:

When exactly did Ashton try to show her how to tie it? She actually asked him to let her try it after saying they don't use them on her boat. At no point did he show her anything. What he did is get frustrated with her and then call her and Tanner (who also cannot tie a bowline) up to "practice" and when she very calmly and actually meekly asked him a question, he flipped on her. She has also since demonstrated that she can tie a bowline. Ashton at no point taught her how to tie that knot. She has demonstrated her willingness and ability to learn and has been met with nothing but conflict by the guys. A prime example was putting away the pool. She stood back and told Brian that she was never there when they rolled it up (I wonder why?) and was looking for guidance from him since he had done it before. His reaction was just frustration and to complain that she always starts problems. She cannot win with these guys.  

I'm glad someone else noticed that interaction with Brian. I'm telling you, their main problem with her is that she speaks. That she doesn't just jump to it even though she needs direction first. They image a conflict and I swear they have a completely different conversation with her than the actual conversation that is really happening. Brain got annoyed with her because she made him feel stupid for his stank attitude. He sees her hesitating unrolling the pool and assumes it's for some defiant reason so he flippantly tells her to go ahead and unroll it she starts to and explains she was just waiting to see where it should go before unrolling it, he doubles down cause in his mind "she's talking back" (I guess he's her father or something) and snidely says "the same place we always unroll it" again stepping in it cause Rhylee then hits him with the "yeah, but i'm never up here when you set up the pool" at which point Brian is tired of Rhylee pointing out reason why his attitude is unwarranted and goes into his bitch session about her always making things difficult. No, you just wanted to be a dick towards her and expected her to take it cause she's already been reprimanded and and he figures she's should be on "her best behavior" but doesn't realize that A) It's Rhylee and B) "Best behavior" doesn't include taking shit from co-workers just because. 

Fucking assholes. The lot of them. 

• Love 19
50 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Someone comes to MY table and asks if they can sit, I'm instantly moving. The guys sat there for way too long, smirks on their faces, refusing to move. I think Tanner likes to straddle that line between being a douche-bro and being a nice guy who the girls like, so he eventually moved.  But I would have been incredibly hurt and embarrassed by that point. 

And I say this as someone who doesn't like Rhylee and thinks she's often partly to blame for a lot of what happens to her. But this felt very school-cafeteria, to me. I didn't like it at all.

And I think his excuse about "needing more elbow room" was so the Brus didn't mistake his intentions as trying to be nice to Rhylee.

The fact that they expected her to stay in that very hurtful moment is another thing that really stands out. Okay, so you succeeded in embarrassing her and making her feel bad and now she owes you what now? To sit at the table and eat uncomfortably while you all continue to snicker and giggle at her expense? It's crazy how mean spirited and hurtful they are. Anyone who thinks this is acceptable behavior all because a co-worker gets on the nerves really needs intensive therapy. I'm looking at you Brian, Kevin, Tanner, ASSton!! 

• Love 18
42 minutes ago, politichick said:

I think Kate was, like, enough already, and I don't blame her one bit. Rhylee gets fucking carried away. I don't think she should take crap but she definitely has some anger management issues.

But I definitely agree that the girls at the table sat there like cowards instead of saying something. That's why the boys hate Kate. She would have said something

She has a right to get carried away. See this is why maybe people don't play with other peoples feelings or emotions and try to invoke negative reactions or be hurtful. You don't know where someone's emotional threshold is. You can't just expect someone to NOT carried away if you don't understand their capacity for embarrassment, pain and hurt. While one person could keep their cool and shrug it off another person can feel it strongly and deeply and react explosively. It isn't for anyone to gamble with that sort of thing. I think it's hella heartbreaking to see people knowingly provoke Rhylee because they get satisfaction seeing her upset. I think wanting to put her or anyone in such a hurtful state of mind is way more evil than a person who reacts as strongly as Rhylee. Rhylee doesn't get pleasure from blowing up at the crew. You can see the pain and upset. She's not enjoying herself when she has her outbursts. It's not like she's doing it out of some sick amusement. So to say she gets carried away, well yeah. What I find interesting is how often it seems to be a goal of the crew to get her there. I don't find watching a bunch of people plucking at someone else's already exposed and raw nerves entertaining and at this point that is all the deck crew is doing to Rhylee. I find it absolutely repulsive. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Rhylee would last about ten minutes working under Kate. The first time they told her about how they folded napkins on her fishing boat in Alaska Kate would start her campaign to get her fired.

I can totally see her telling Kate that she doesn’t need to put out napkins since in Alaska they just wipe their mouths on their sleeves.

Cause Kate goes on campaigns to get folks fired all the time?!?!?! Like she could have easily gotten douche bro, Ashton, fired after he assaulted her. But she didn't even mention it to Cap Lee even after he chewed her out for leaving the boat and not letting him know. She's put up with crappy stews and mouthy testy arrogant chefs. Never tried to get them fired. Just the Laura bit that was pretty brief but Laura was being over the top disrespectful to her boss, Kate. And that was after dealing with a very trying stew who Laura replaced (was that Caroline?). I do think Kate and Rhylee working together would not go well. But I think Kate would put every effort into making it work. Unlike Asshat. And here is a thought. Maybe if Ashton were a good bosun he could have kept Abby on the job and not needed Rhylee. So it's his own fault he got Rhylee. So I'd say to him 'deal with it, bro'. Or 'suck it up buttercup'. But don't connive with the other brus to push her off the edge and get her fired.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

It also didn't help when the  crew was eating and Rhylee asked if anyone wanted anything while she was up, she got crickets.  Not even a 'no thanks' in a pleasant voice.  That was the first incident in that 'high school' lunch room scene.

yeah, in some cultures that's called "shunning." And the gals weren't helping.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, luvthepros said:

The photo of the dog is hilarious but.......who is Alexis?

Kevin got up to give Rhylee his seat. Looks like it is a tight fit for all the crew to sit at the table at one time.

Alexis was the lead charter guest - a former Real Housewife of Orange County - celebrating her divorce from her horrible ex-husband, and busy shoving her tongue down her new boyfriend's throat when not dropping major hints about marriage.

If I recall - Tanner got up to give Rhylee his seat at the table, not Kevin.  Also, the entire crew seems to fit around that table just fine when Captain Lee has a post-charter tip meeting and he's handing out money.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

If I recall - Tanner got up to give Rhylee his seat at the table, not Kevin.  Also, the entire crew seems to fit around that table just fine when Captain Lee has a post-charter tip meeting and he's handing out money.

Normally they would fit but lately Rhylee’s Halo has gotten too big.

40 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

I can’t even begin to quote everything so hear goes...

1) Remember that the brus (I specifically recall Ashton on 2 separate occasions) talking about how they needed to put Kate in her place. So, their piss poor treatment of Rhylee has nothing to do with her being third deckhand and everything to do with her being a female. 

2) These men are trash. Complete and utter trash. 

3) What the brus did at the table was horrible. They waited juuuuust long enough to make sure that Rhylee knew that they were insulting her as a way of trying to set her off. When she just went to her room, they tried to gaslight the Simone and Courtney by talking about how Rhylee reacted like a child. 

4) Brian’s treatment towards Courtney at the end of the episode says everything. He does not want a woman that has an opinion separate from his. He wants a Stepford Wife, not an actual partner. 

5) I’d be tempted to shove Kevin in the walk in freezer and accidentally jam the door shut. 

6) Does Rhylee have a temper?  Yes and even she will tell you that. However, these guys are constantly doing covert and overt actions towards her with the intent of setting her off so that they can then talk about how awful she is. You put up with that crap and see how well you do with controlling your temper. 

All of this!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Wait, hold on so because the atrocious behavior of the men happened some minutes before Rhylee wasn't supposed to still be mad?

She chose to resngage in the fight that wasn’t even about that evening going into their van and yelling at them which doesn’t help anything. That was also the first time she yelled at Kate who was trying to her people in the van so she could leave. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Normally they would fit but lately Rhylee’s Halo has gotten too big.

The guys have turned into absolute trolls. Trolls are smaller than men,  so there should have been plenty of room for Rhylee’s halo.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 13

I can’t link it because it’s in a private FB but Tanner’s mom posted and is not mad about her son’s behavior but Captain Lee calling out that behavior. Trash frequently raises trash.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, scrb said:

I believe the tip meetings are in the lounge, which has a bigger table than the crew mess which is adjoining the kitchen.

No they are in the crew mess. Someone usually sits on one of the chairs at the counter but there are also two more people than at lunch because Captain Lee and Kate weren’t there.

They have had a few meetings in the lounge, at the start of the season and when Ashton messed up the DJ equipment but the tip meetings are in the crew mess.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

No one was right tonight WRT Rhylee but the guys are douche-bro's. Rhylee is a hard worker.  I think they enjoy stoking the fire and watching her burn up. I wonder how she would fare under  Capt. Sandy's command.  Prob not well bc Sandy is weird like that but still. I'd vote for a season of them to try it out.

• Love 4

Regarding the episode title and all those of this season (and of the recent The Challenge season to boot):  I find it very annoying that they halfheartedly do a theme of movie titles or plays on movie titles (Scorpion Queen instead of King, Weekend at Brandy's instead of at Bernie's, etc.) but not all of the titles are like that--some are quotes (mostly from Kate) similar to how Survivor titles their episodes, and some are just whatever.  If you want to be clever, go for it, but then follow through!  

Okay, I know the quote about foolish consistency, but still.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She chose to resngage in the fight that wasn’t even about that evening going into their van and yelling at them which doesn’t help anything. That was also the first time she yelled at Kate who was trying to her people in the van so she could leave. 

That's how it goes sometimes when emotions are running hot. Putting each moment in a perfect little appropriate box doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what's going on. I'm thinking, maybe if the men weren't always targeting Rhylee and trying to be hurtful assholes then she wouldn't have been screaming and cussing and acting all kids of upset. I'm not going to cherry pick what was or wasn't "appropriate" behavior at what time and moment and duration. It's obviously not a logical interaction and there's no nice and neat way to be pissed off which is why I stick with the fact that the original offense of the men ganging up, provoking and deliberately aiming to hurt Rhylee is what is truly relevant. Rhylee is being targeted point blank period. Her reacting is to be expected and I personally validate it. I won't go as far as nitpicking about how she goes about losing her cool. A lot of times there's no rhyme or reason when someone's lost their cool so I'm not going to get caught up in the peas when the meat and potatoes of the situation is much more relevant. Which is the men are the aggressors in the situation with Rhylee. Kate got caught in the crossfire and as she pretty much pointed out in her talking head she understood where Rhylee's aggression was coming from. In the moment Kate wasn't as gracious but afterwards chalked it up to Rhylee lashing out and Kate being able to take it. That's cool with me. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Yours Truly said:
On 1/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, biakbiak said:

That's how it goes sometimes when emotions are running hot. Putting each moment in a perfect little appropriate box doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what's going on. I'm thinking, maybe if the men weren't always targeting Rhylee and trying to be hurtful assholes t

But it’s also what self involved people do. She saw that Courtney was upset and chose to reengage the battle rather than letting everyone leave. She than acted as if she is the only one who the dudes have treated poorly. All the guys have been an awful to Rhylee but that doesn’t give her a free pass for all of her behavior including grandstanding so that people who have to ride with you can’t go home to bed.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But it’s also what self involved people do. She saw that Courtney was upset and chose to reengage the battle rather than letting everyone leave. She than acted as if she is the only one who the dudes have treated poorly. All the guys have been an awful to Rhylee but that doesn’t give her a free pass for all of her behavior including grandstanding so that people who have to ride with you can’t go home to bed.

All I'm saying is she doesn't deserve what's happening to her. No one deserves that. Courtney is upset because she chose to cry instead of put Brian in his place. She doesn't deserve that either but it isn't Rhylee's responsibility to curb her hurt and pain in order to coddle Courtney. Once again the blame fall on the men who are behaving badly. The reactions from the women, as judgemental as some want to be about it is valid. Just because Rhylee is having a more explosive reaction doesn't make what's happening her fault. If the crew doesn't want to experience the discomfort of Rhylees temper then maybe they shouldn't make it a point to try and hurt and humiliate her at every turn. The incidents were literally just minutes before so I'm not understanding why any of them, including the girls, would expect Rhylee to not still be upset. Her mode of anger isn't desirable but I sure as hell wouldn't go to war with Rhylee cause I've chosen to be a dick and ignore what she's feeling at that moment. Kates aggravation with Rhylee's temper doesn't negate Rhylees right to be pissed off. 

• Love 6
On 1/22/2020 at 8:55 PM, njbchlover said:

........... the entire crew seems to fit around that table just fine when Captain Lee has a post-charter tip meeting and he's handing out money.

Very true but I honestly believe people need a bit more room to eat a meal and enjoy it. Reaching out for an envelope is not the same as cutting meat and consuming a meal.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Very true but I honestly believe people need a bit more room to eat a meal and enjoy it. Reaching out for an envelope is not the same as cutting meat and consuming a meal.

But there are two more people at the tip meeting than were present at lunch which would give more elbow room.

• Love 3

The reality is that they are punishing Rhylee for the fact that they failed at their attempt to get her fired. So they are going to try as hard as they can to get her to quit. Also, there is clearly some male-bonding going on here, and while it feels good to them now to bond over their mistreatment of both Rhylee and Kate, they didn't seem to realize at the time that it would not be viewed by the viewing public as cute and justified behavior on their part.

Now, yes, does Rhylee have a temper and does Kate have an edge to her interactions? Sure. However, good managers know how to deal with those kinds of personalities without resorting to ostracizing, insults, misogyny, and subtle threats of violence. One can be critical of Rhylee or Kate without defending the truly atrocious behavior of the men on that ship.  There is no justification for them. 

• Love 15

Now that Vicki and Tamra are gone from the O.C. one can only hope that they will get rid of Kate and Captain Lee. They are both stale and Captain Lee in particular is phoning it it.

We need term limits for these shows.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 4