Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: The Scorpion Queen

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Rhylee went to go sit at a open table in the crew mess.  She is part of the crew despite the boys best attempts to get rid of her.  Frankly Courtney and Simone can stick it.  They are all Switzerland when they are not personally affected.  Now Courtney is crying to Kate because Brian's douchiness is directed toward her.  Simone is upset her douche boy Brian wants to screw Kate.  Waah.  Waah.  Meanwhile they sit back and watch all wide eyed while Rhylee is blatantly denied a seat in a public area.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Actually Tanner did get up and gave up her space at the table. He just didn’t do it fast enough for Rhylee because she thinks the world owes her a living.

Rhylee would be my nominee for the most unpleasant person to ever be on Below Deck.  
with her bow up with Kate I have to give it to her foe being consistent. She is equally nasty, aggressive and belligerent to men and woman.

It has been stated that Tanner got up. I think it was the sheepish looks initially exchanged between the bitches that created the vibe that made Rhylee want to get the hell out of there & not the length of time it took bitch #3 to move his disgusting ass.

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Also - just before she asks them all if she can get them anything since she's still up, and crickets.  No response at all, not even to say no thanks.  From anyone, including Courtney and Simone. 

Which indicates that it is not just the guys she has a problem with on this crew. They tried to peddle the story that she was close to Simone but she didn’t say anything either. 

Sometimes the best way to deal with someone who makes everything a problem is not to deal with them at all.

2 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

One thing I noticed about "Tablegate" is that when nobody moved & Rhylee just took her food & walked off without a word, the idiots made a big scene of it as if it were Rhylee being drama. Did I miss something? She took her food, went to her room & ate. The bitch brus sat there & acted like it was an example of RHYLEE being soooooo drama. 🤔

Oh wait but it's Rhylee so I'm sure she wasn't just *innocuously* eating. 🙄

Thank you!! They narrate EVERYTHING she does. I swear if there would be a collage of how often Rhylee stands there for a few beats, stares, remains calm and tolerates this that and the other you would see just how OFTEN she actually DOES take A LOT of shit.  She also tends to respond rather evenly at first during an uncomfortable interaction. It's when the stakes are raised that Rhylee then goes fuck it and responds accordingly. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, esco1822 said:

Her behavior does not exist in a vacuum. It is the result of the way she has been treated since day 1. It's a crew mess, meaning for the entire crew. That's why they should make room for her at the table. It's literally where they are supposed to eat their meals. She didn't ask them to speak to her, be nice to her or even acknowledge her beyond making a space where she could sit. Should she be so reactive? No but 9 times out of 10 this season she lost her cool after they reacted to her calmly and in a normal voice asking for something/telling them something. They are 100% doing things specifically to provoke a reaction and she is providing it every time. The guys have admitted to doing things to both exclude her and piss her off. Her losing her cool time after time does not justify their behavior. 

Thank you!

I mean the men have behaved this way on camera. Have specifically and joyfully referred to their intended mistreatment of her. They are not hiding their atrocious behavior but Rhylees reaction to the negativity and purposefully hurtful actions is what the true crux of the matter is. Mind boggling.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

A perfect example of why Ashton sucks as a manager is when he told Rhylee not to talk about the boys having a cigarette while she was still working. He has never once corrected the brus for talking shit about Rhylee and frequently joins in so there was absolutely no justification for him to criticize her for that and the fact that he doesn’t see all of the many many ways he treats her differently than the dudes is why he is a shit manager.

Good point! Asshole could have just kept quiet and let her work but of course, since he disapproves of how she feels then he can't help but jump at the chance to reprimand her. Granted it is unprofessional and is worth correction however since we've seen him talk shit WITH the others and do exactly what she was doing, which is vent then right in that moment he proved her right.

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 15
56 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Also - just before she asks them all if she can get them anything since she's still up, and crickets.  No response at all, not even to say no thanks.  From anyone, including Courtney and Simone. 

Rhylee exhibits a lot of neutral behaviors in between dust ups with the guys. That goes unnoticed. She accepts direction, she performs her duties, she keeps it moving. That display of consideration was not only mature but very gracious. It shows that she can still be civil and can still exhibit basic courtesy when surrounded by people she doesn't get along with. But again Rhylee is the out of control loose cannon. All this obliviousness to just how much Rhylee does put forth an effort makes my slap hand itch. Ugggghh!!

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

What was the cause of how Rhylee acted last season?  Its hard for me to recall details but I don't think she was warm/fuzzy/calm that season either.   

It’s simple. It was Rhylee being Rhylee. She would be the same if the Dali Lama was the bosun.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mytmo said:

Rhylee went to go sit at a open table in the crew mess.  She is part of the crew despite the boys best attempts to get rid of her.  Frankly Courtney and Simone can stick it.  They are all Switzerland when they are not personally affected.  Now Courtney is crying to Kate because Brian's douchiness is directed toward her.  Simone is upset her douche boy Brian wants to screw Kate.  Waah.  Waah.  Meanwhile they sit back and watch all wide eyed while Rhylee is blatantly denied a seat in a public area.

Not to defend them because I'm so over this bru nonsense, but there are obviously other places to sit (at the counter where Tanner went) - she just apparently wanted to sit at the table.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

What was the cause of how Rhylee acted last season?  Its hard for me to recall details but I don't think she was warm/fuzzy/calm that season either.   

Chandler started out as bosun and didn't get along with anyone, including the other male deck hands.  Once he left Ross got the job and she was also quick triggered with him, which seemed less called for than it had been with Chandler.  Ross and Ashton were really good friends last season, although I don't remember "bru" being tossed around so much between them as it is between this season's dudes.  I don't remember there being a lot of specific friction between Rhylee and Ashton last season, but they were both junior crew so there was less reason for there to be.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

don't remember there being a lot of specific friction between Rhylee and Ashton last season, but they were both junior crew so there was less reason for there to be.

They got into a few times, they showed it in a clip package when she first came back.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Not to defend them because I'm so over this bru nonsense, but there are obviously other places to sit (at the counter where Tanner went) - she just apparently wanted to sit at the table.

In all fairness, that is true and yet nobody was sitting there. They were all at the table and there was certainly room for one more. Look at Tanner's face when she asks if they can move down. He's getting a lot of joy out of her misery. 

• Love 17
15 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Chandler started out as bosun and didn't get along with anyone, including the other male deck hands.  Once he left Ross got the job and she was also quick triggered with him, which seemed less called for than it had been with Chandler.  Ross and Ashton were really good friends last season, although I don't remember "bru" being tossed around so much between them as it is between this season's dudes.  I don't remember there being a lot of specific friction between Rhylee and Ashton last season, but they were both junior crew so there was less reason for there to be.

Chandler was pretty bad all around and he was even worse with Rhylee. I have to say Ross and Ashton exhibited triggering behavior but it was on a much lower scale but since Chandler had started the process of outcasting Rhylee she was already defensive. Ross and Ashton had already exhibited unecessary frustration with Rhylee and even though it wasn't as blatant as the guys this season it was there.

See this is the thing. Men tend to lose patience with woman rather quickly and I don't subscribe to that. I felt like there was an exaggerated sense of burden coming from both Ross and Ashton when it came to Rhylee and it really wasn't for all that. It didn't really take much for the guys to blow their top with Rhylee and not can change my mind that it was mainly because she isn't the type of woman who tackles conflicts in the quiet mousey way that Simone and Courtney handle it. Most men are turned off immediately by a woman who doesn't come into a situation with the expect demeanor of a woman.  Men are constantly crass, constantly loud and constantly aggressive and the others whoop it up, high five it and just laugh it off but a woman comes into the dynamic with those same characteristics and she's combative and needs to be taken down a notch. 

It happened last season. I remember cringing back then too. It was even harder to watch because Ashton was more "likeable" on that season as well as Ross but even likeable guys lose patience with woman who won't stick to the gender norms of how abrasive one should and shouldn't be. I'd be curious to see how Collin would work with Rhylee. Though Collin does like to keep the peace I'd worry that he'd still think in order for things to be smooth he would  try and fix Rhylee in maybe a big brother kinda way and not really address the bruhs. Hmmmmm. Still would be an interesting thing to see. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 12

This guy has created a horrible culture amongst the male crew.  I think Riley would be well within her rights to press charges for harassment and discrimination.  I hope Captain Lee (once viewing the footage) would completely agree. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, StardustMemories said:

Does it matter?  They all thought it was the funniest remark ever.  These "brus" are the most unlikeable group of people I have ever seen, and I have watched a lot of reality tv over the years.

They beat out my top douche bros...the tattoo bros on Survivor Kaoh Rong. I guess Paul and his minions from BB is also up there but he wasn't really a douche to the ladies type (misogynist) but just a plain douche.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ChristmasJones said:

Just her personality and upbringing.

She admitted that her father was also antisocial, like when the delivery guy came around Christmas with packages, he'd go out there to accost him with his gun.

So maybe she learned to take everything to DEFCON 1 rather than de-escalate.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, dosodog said:

Full disclosure:  I like Joao.  I think he's sincere about changing after his first season.  I don't think it happens overnight and it's easy to fall back into what you "know", but I do think he tries.

Having said all that?  No Joao.  You aren't at a place where you can throw jabs.  Helpful advice and polite suggestions that Ashton should do some serious introspection, sure--that is a good lane for you to be in.  But you still have missteps so just sit down.

I think Joao got his own boat as a captain?  So he could make working with Rhylee a reality. Hard worker or not, she would be exhausting to work with.  My opinion on her hasn't improved this season--she has an antagonist attitude. 

IMO, by default, the brus make her "root worthy".  

Never been on a fancy yacht. I have been on several cruises for the masses, on 3 different cruise lines.

They make a whole lot less money than the yachties. They are 1000% better then the quality I see on the Below Deck shows.  I think Bruno, who had worked on cruise ships, was correct in his evaluation on the interior service because of his previous experience on customer service on a ship.

The idea of my group having a ship to themselves would be awesome.  However, I'm just not convinced I would get a next level customer service experience.

Lol.  Full disclosure I like Joao too. His jabs are very subtle. He clearly stated that if you’re doing something on your night off that you can’t tell your captain, you’re embarrassing yourself, and your boat. This was in response to Ashton and Tanner hooking up with the charter guests at the club, along with all their other antics.

Edited by spunky
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Reading these comments as I watch one of the final episodes from the first season of Below Deck Med.  Yup, those guys were really bad and as bad as Captain Sandy is, the original Captain was worthless.  That being said, I still think Aston and company have set a new bar of despicable.  

I need to quit watching the after show interviews because I just get angrier.  He is sorry for nothing.  

• Love 11

I really appreciated Courtney in this episode. She has a head on her shoulders. I appreciated her calling out Brian-- "You can tell Rylee to calm down all the time, but when I try to de-escalate things-- and tell you to calm down, you blow up." Kate was (IMHO) a bitch to Rylee on the ride home-- but in general the girls were trying to de-escalate things when they were out, but the boys were having too much fun being the boys.

OTOH during the making-no-room-for-Rylee-at-the-table thing-- I thought the girls in the middle (at least Simone was there-- maybe someone else), I don't know why they didn't scootch toward the middle and then pointedly say to the guys to move over. Pretty much everyone at the table would need to scootch to make room. Everyone, girls included, just sat there blankly, which IMHO was not very nice.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

When he motioned toward Kate, I was like, what an ASSHOLE!  I mean, the whole time I am saying that, but that was something my 6 year old would do.

Did you see?  What was the outcome of the poll?

She just wanted to be sure he didn't buy ALL of the scorpions, since she wanted one.  But he did, she got annoyed and he pretended to no know why.

Love how Joao is leveraging the guys being assholes to position himself as a hero.  Oh Joao!  ("this is how we do it in Zim" tm Watch What Crappens).

😂😂😂 . As someone who likes Joao I give him credit for being able to admit that he once was the donkey of the year and has matured once he saw himself and given more responsibility. I’m sure his soon to be former friend Ashton will not understand what Joao is trying to tell him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

FYI, some guys will react to having a finger in their face badly, like go to fisticuffs.

Obviously Rhylee gets away with it because of her gender but also on this show, the cast must expect dramatic, in-your-face confrontations.

It's not a good look for men and women to yell at each other but on Bravo, it must be par for the course.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Yours Truly said:

It happened last season. I remember cringing back then too. It was even harder to watch because Ashton was more "likeable" on that season as well as Ross but even likeable guys lose patience with woman who won't stick to the gender norms of how abrasive one should and shouldn't be. I'd be curious to see how Collin would work with Rhylee. Though Collin does like to keep the peace I'd worry that he'd still think in order for things to be smooth he would  try and fix Rhylee in maybe a big brother kinda way and not really address the bruhs. Hmmmmm. Still would be an interesting thing to see. 

We know how it would go. Rhylee would be screeching at him and pointing her fingers in his face and telling him him to shut the fuck up.

Then Colin would go to the Captain and offer to leave instead of Rhylee and this time he would have left. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mytmo said:

So now Courtney and Simone are also complicit in the martyrdom of Saint Rhylee?

Kate too right, since she told Rhylee to be quiet after she raised a ruckus at the market?

And Lee told her to respect the chain of command, how dare he!

Everyone on the boat are all assholes except Rhylee!

4 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

It has been stated that Tanner got up. I think it was the sheepish looks initially exchanged between the bitches that created the vibe that made Rhylee want to get the hell out of there & not the length of time it took bitch #3 to move his disgusting ass.

Tanner did get up.  Said something about needing more room, just so he would open up room for Rhylee.

These basic facts aren't in dispute, or shouldn't be.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Chandler was pretty bad all around and he was even worse with Rhylee. I have to say Ross and Ashton exhibited triggering behavior but it was on a much lower scale but since Chandler had started the process of outcasting Rhylee she was already defensive. Ross and Ashton had already exhibited unecessary frustration with Rhylee and even though it wasn't as blatant as the guys this season it was there.

See this is the thing. Men tend to lose patience with woman rather quickly and I don't subscribe to that. I felt like there was an exaggerated sense of burden coming from both Ross and Ashton when it came to Rhylee and it really wasn't for all that. It didn't really take much for the guys to blow their top with Rhylee and not can change my mind that it was mainly because she isn't the type of woman who tackles conflicts in the quiet mousey way that Simone and Courtney handle it. Most men are turned off immediately by a woman who doesn't come into a situation with the expect demeanor of a woman.  Men are constantly crass, constantly loud and constantly aggressive and the others whoop it up, high five it and just laugh it off but a woman comes into the dynamic with those same characteristics and she's combative and needs to be taken down a notch. 

Rhylee seems to have a good relationship with the other 3 women, not just as coworkers but as a friend. They confide in her, hang out with her and seem to enjoy each other’s company. That plainly tells me she isn’t the devil that she’s being portrayed as. Even Kate, in her talking head, discussed how Rhylee’s blow up with her was like a sister and understood that sometimes people lash out at someone simply because we they are close to us. 

3 hours ago, Mojitogirl said:

Edited by Mojitogirl
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, scrb said:

So now Courtney and Simone are also complicit in the martyrdom of Saint Rhylee?

Kate too right, since she told Rhylee to be quiet after she raised a ruckus at the market?

And Lee told her to respect the chain of command, how dare he!

Everyone on the boat are all assholes except Rhylee!

Tanner did get up.  Said something about needing more room, just so he would open up room for Rhylee.

These basic facts aren't in dispute, or shouldn't be.

Wow. It was actually necessary for you to AGAIN reiterate that Tanner got up when that is exactly what the post you quoted said? 🤔

• Love 8

We rarely see the Below Dicks try to launch products, but I feel like the men in this crew need to lean into that. They should launch an energy drink Toxic Brü. It's basically the banned formula of Four Loko in whatever is the worst possible flavor. Banana? Coconut? Pineapple? Margarita? Watermelon? Strawberry? All of those mixed together? No flavor--just sugar and chemicals? Whatever the flavor, it needs to be the color of radioactive waste in movies.

My understanding of Four Loko was that the alcohol would get you drunk, but the sugar, caffeine, and guarana kept people "awake" so it was a lot easier to get into these drunken blackout rages, which sounds exactly like The Brü Crü. Every bottle of Toxic Brü comes with a Friendship Brücelet.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, terrymct said:

Did you catch the part of the after interviews where Ashton is discussing misogyny with Kevin sitting next to him?   Ashton said that differences between men and women are like segregation.  It's best when you just don't point it out.   Best when you just don't point out SEGREGATION.   

WTF. Does he hear himself at all when he speaks 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, terrymct said:

Did you catch the part of the after interviews where Ashton is discussing misogyny with Kevin sitting next to him?   Ashton said that differences between men and women are like segregation.  It's best when you just don't point it out.   Best when you just don't point out SEGREGATION.   

Which is especially fucked to given he was born before apartheid ended in South Africa.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

I really wonder about how South African whites and blacks get along outside of SA.

There may be some hard feelings, because the whites had to give up lands.

But of course, blacks who lived there under apartheid would remember the horrible treatment that they endured.

Average South African wouldn't be culpable for the former apartheid regime or any of the abuses of the black rule which followed.

However, it can't be an easy situation.

• Love 1

Capt Lee should hire Rhylee as bosun next season. That’s would kill the douchebros! They’re such complete assholes!! I taught 2nd graders that were more mature than the infantile boys. 

Edited by nytonc
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Did you see?  What was the outcome of the poll?

The guys looked real bad in all the polls.  A viewer asked why Asston was acting like he's contrite now, but has been trashing Kate on social media since the season started.  He also said he was working on his self, but did not need professional counselling.  Andy confirmed there will be a reunion.  Can't wait.  Hope Andy comes hard at the guys like he has been doing with certain ho wives.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, nytonc said:

Capt Lee should hire Rhylee as bosun next season. That’s would kill the douchebros! They’re such complete assholes!! I taught 2nd graders that were more mature than the infantile boys. 

Great idea.But why go half way. Why not make Rhylee the Captain.

It could be a new franchise.

”Below Deck: Mutiny on the Bounty”

• Love 1
7 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Which indicates that it is not just the guys she has a problem with on this crew. They tried to peddle the story that she was close to Simone but she didn’t say anything either. 

Sometimes the best way to deal with someone who makes everything a problem is not to deal with them at all.

I took their silence as a form of “keeping their head down” so the bruhs would not turn their disrespect on them. Simone acknowledged how immature the boys were behaving in her TH and still said nothing because women are conditioned to swallow their opinions if it might make them seem difficult. Case in point was Bryan going after Courtney for defending Rhylee. 

Asston is part of the management team. It’s a piss poor manager that ignores rather than deals with a problem, especially because if he had ever shown one ounce of respect for Rhylee, she would be a much more pleasant person to work with. 

• Love 13

I think it's odd that Lee wants his department heads to run things on their own, yet won't let them hire or fire. 

I doubt Lee has the authority either, he probably has to ask production.  There's no reason, out of the thousands of deckhands available, to hire Rhylee.  It was done solely to stir trouble and get people talking about an otherwise boring season.  And it worked.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, scrb said:

FYI, some guys will react to having a finger in their face badly, like go to fisticuffs.

FYI, these kinds of guys should seek therapy. And not just try to get to “know themselves better“ à la Ashton. 

• Love 12
On 1/20/2020 at 9:08 PM, ihartcoffee said:

Oh God Alexis is so grubby and thirsty...

The face Alexis's boyfriend makes when she mentions marriage....

20200120_200850.jpg

The photo of the dog is hilarious but.......who is Alexis?

On 1/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, Emmeline said:

Now this is really junior high behavior and the male crew just keeps looking more like a bunch of douchebags.  Won’t allow Rhylee to sit at the lunch table, what the hell.

Kevin got up to give Rhylee his seat. Looks like it is a tight fit for all the crew to sit at the table at one time.

14 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

We know how it would go. Rhylee would be screeching at him and pointing her fingers in his face and telling him him to shut the fuck up.

Then Colin would go to the Captain and offer to leave instead of Rhylee and this time he would have left. 

Well considering the fact that she only has conflicts with men who are disrespectful to her I find that example pretty hard to believe considering Collin has shown himself to be a pretty nice and respectful dude.  

Strong women really aren't some men's cup of tea so there is that. 

• Love 13
15 hours ago, scrb said:

Obviously Rhylee gets away with it because of her gender but also on this show, the cast must expect dramatic, in-your-face confrontations.

Well that is a load if I've ever seen one. RHYLEE gets away with having a finger in her face? How many times THIS SEASON have we seen Ashton put a finger in Rhylee's face and "get away with it?" This has absolutely nothing to do with gender. If you're going to call it, call it both ways. If she "gets away" with finger pointing, so does Ashton. 

• Love 15

If anything this season shows why Captain Lee's hands off approach to management doesn't work when you have inexperienced managers like Ashton.The captain needs to be more hands on in supervising his staff who are new to managing people. It's one thing to be a competent deck hand -- quite another to be an effective manager.

• Love 16