Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E07: Project Runway x Ashley Longshore

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I was born in 1958 and am 61.  I don't consider that I "came up" in the sixties - my sister, who was 4 years older than me, was much more influenced by that decade.  Most of the women who "came up" in the sixties are now in their 70s...I would be interested to see if they wanted to wear clothing featuring the names of dead children.

What I find most interesting about Sergio's embroidery is that in this episode, the editors showed Brittany using the sewing machines to embroider words on her fabric and showed her talking about how great the machines were and how they embroidered so well.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I was born in 1958 and am 61.  I don't consider that I "came up" in the sixties - my sister, who was 4 years older than me, was much more influenced by that decade.  Most of the women who "came up" in the sixties are now in their 70s...I would be interested to see if they wanted to wear clothing featuring the names of dead children.

Well, except for all the thousands of us who are in our 60s. But yeah, I agree that older women (or maybe any) probably wouldn’t be excited about the dress with dead children’s names on it. My point, based on the post I quoted, is that plenty of older women are politically active and not “ladies who lunch” who seem to what Sergio is actually designing for, despite his claiming that he’s a political designer. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, auntlada said:

I think most people (not even just women) don't want to explain what they're wearing but just want to look good. And I think that's going to hurt Sergio if not on the show, then in his business. Perhaps he could just do slogan T-shirts.

Oh but his company's website explanation (quoted earlier this thread) says they include "hidden messages" in all the clothes! So he gets to say he's a "political designer" but nobody actually has to see or explain wtf his clothes are supposed to mean. 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It's a perfectly tailored suit on a beautiful man but it still looks ridiculous. I'll be glad when this fashion fades.

I totally agree. Remember, big hair, mullets, and brightly colored parachute pants were also once thought to be "cool." 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Well, except for all the thousands of us who are in our 60s. But yeah, I agree that older women (or maybe any) probably wouldn’t be excited about the dress with dead children’s names on it. My point, based on the post I quoted, is that plenty of older women are politically active and not “ladies who lunch” who seem to what Sergio is actually designing for, despite his claiming that he’s a political designer. 

True that, I guess my sister would now be 65 - she graduated from high school in 1972.

9 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It's a perfectly tailored suit on a beautiful man but it still looks ridiculous. I'll be glad when this fashion fades.

I’m okay with this fad running itself out, but this was one example where I dearly wished that the long lovely pleats were on both sides.

Regarding Sergio, I’m too old for his demo and I live in long knit dresses or leggings and a tee; I do have political/activist leanings (and tees), but I still find his whole schtick condescending, insulting, and annoying. His stuff is freaking dumpy, most of the time. You’d think he’d want to make his ladies who lunch look good, not frumpy.

I’m a grumpy hermit type, but I have to say I loved Ashley, her energy, and her prints.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Rainkatt13 said:

I’m okay with this fad running itself out, but this was one example where I dearly wished that the long lovely pleats were on both sides.

yeah I showed the pic to my husband (who is definitely in the never-gonna-wear-a-dress-or-dress-adjacent thing camp), and remarked that I could deal with a suit with long pleated sides-- but it's like he was trying to have it both ways-- I'm gonna wear a HALF dress OK?

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:01 PM, kicksave said:

I love Geoffrey but I just have to say that as a designer, would it have been too much to wear a nice shirt with sleeves to Bergdorf Goodman? The tank top with the hairy armpits was a little on the rough side for this store. 

this! He seems so nice and I 100% am in to "be true to you" but his personal look often gives off a vibe that reminds me of "your teenager comes home all sweaty from basketball practice and you yell at him to take a shower before he dares to sit down on your nice new couch"

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 1/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Remember that many over-40s came up in the Sixties and still cherish the causes that influenced us then. 

Huh? I am 47 and I was born in 1972. My dad who was born in 1947 came up in the sixties. He is 72.......

Sergio is so convinced of his own genius that he doesn't see how dated and unfashionable some of his clothing looks. And saying he designs for an older clientele is a cop out because older ladies don't want to look frumpy either! All he has to do is look across the workroom at Nancy to know this! His clothes should speak for themselves, and I don't mean literally by stitching words on them. Who cares what age your clientele are? Just make beautiful clothes - if they look good, people will respond.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Huh? I am 47 and I was born in 1972. My dad who was born in 1947 came up in the sixties. He is 72.......

Sergio is so convinced of his own genius that he doesn't see how dated and unfashionable some of his clothing looks. And saying he designs for an older clientele is a cop out because older ladies don't want to look frumpy either! All he has to do is look across the workroom at Nancy to know this! His clothes should speak for themselves, and I don't mean literally by stitching words on them. Who cares what age your clientele are? Just make beautiful clothes - if they look good, people will respond.

My mom is 68 and she has a wardrobe that makes me jealous. Nothing frumpy at all. Sometimes I'll even ask her where she got something and order it for myself too! 

Sergio's "truth" is that he refuses to design for anyone but an extremely narrow clientele and what matters the most is how much they'll pay him.

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, Jsage said:

My mom is 68 and she has a wardrobe that makes me jealous. Nothing frumpy at all. Sometimes I'll even ask her where she got something and order it for myself too! 

Sergio's "truth" is that he refuses to design for anyone but an extremely narrow clientele and what matters the most is how much they'll pay him.

Thank you for articulating what I couldn't -- what he says and what he does are not the same. 

I know that women 60+ can be very politically active AND have excellent taste in clothing. None of them would be buying Sergio's garments.

His designs and attitude scream "ladies who lunch," and typically (perhaps stereotypically), those ladies just want to look luxe and won't be wearing something with with dead children's names, pro-choice statements and they certainly don't want to re-enact a transgender person coming out of their cocoon at a cocktail party. Fashion can make a statement, but if you have to explain what you're wearing, that is simply overcomplicating things. 

• Love 8
On 1/26/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ashforth said:

I looked up Sergio's company's website, and he doesn't seem to have made up his clothing "activism" for the show:

The clothes mainly look costume-y to me. And as a bonus, his fall/winter 2019 collection dives right into cultural appropriation (a concept that I have mixed feelings about, but in this case, cannot disregard). https://celestinocouture.com/collections/fall-winter-2019

The actual clothes are interesting (although I'm not quite sure where they would be worn, and I get the costume-y comment, but they are nice to look at). The text/statement is ridiculous and I think bring the clothes down. I won't comment on the prices, even though I'm 47 I'm clearly not in the target audience.

• Love 4
On 1/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, leocadia said:

Yes!  I mean, I give her props for being honest about always wanting to be the center of attention, but really, who wants to be around someone who is that self-centered and desperate for attention?  For some reason, I always think her name is Whitney and get confused when they call her Brittany.

Funnily enough, that's how I feel it would be to spend much beyond five minutes with Ashley Longshore.  She may very well be a perfectly lovely person.  Unfortunately her apparent need to be so extra is something I find exhausting and would retreat from. 

• Love 13
17 hours ago, Jsage said:

Now that is the real truth! And I find it funny that he feels like he needs to put the words of his causes on his clothes. If he really wanted to do something of worth, he should responsibly source his materials, employ the people who he says he wants to help, and monetarily support the causes he espouses from his profits. Just stitching words on clothes helps no one.

I have a friend who just turned eighty, and she is one of the most elegant people I have ever met. What he seems to miss is that fashion is ageless. No clue how he got the idea that women over the age of forty want to look like old ladies!

• Love 4
On 1/26/2020 at 11:34 AM, Toodleoo said:

.just conjure up this image in my mind and that image doesn't really want to explain what they're wearing, they just want to look good. 

Isn't this true of most people? If you have to explain your look, it's probably not done well. Take Billy Porter's Oscar look that CS designed, there were no explanations needed.

I also want to point out that quite often rich ladies who lunch are the ones that have the time to organize many benefits and charity events. To think that they are all vapid and unfeeling is a generalization that bears rethinking.

• Love 14
On 1/28/2020 at 1:09 PM, Ilovepie said:

If he really wanted to do something of worth, he should responsibly source his materials,

I admit I tune out when Sergio speaks, but I believe he said he does responsibly source his materials.  I am sure he went into detail, but I don't recall.  I just know I thought "of course he does" when he said it.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Kroliosis said:

I admit I tune out when Sergio speaks, but I believe he said he does responsibly source his materials.  I am sure he went into detail, but I don't recall.  I just know I thought "of course he does" when he said it.

I must have tuned out too! 😜

On 1/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, Ashforth said:

The clothes mainly look costume-y to me. And as a bonus, his fall/winter 2019 collection dives right into cultural appropriation (a concept that I have mixed feelings about, but in this case, cannot disregard). https://celestinocouture.com/collections/fall-winter-2019

Ok, I'm confused, all I see are flowers and pleats.  Where are the "hidden" or not so hidden political statements in these clothes?

For the record, I'm 52.  When I'm making a political statement, it's NOT with my clothes.  I'll be blunt about it, not coy.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Kroliosis said:

I think he said it during either the first two episodes (when the designers were all one big lump of people to me) or possible during the upcycling episode, but I definitely remember one of the designers saying that they used leftover material from high end designers (and named three or four specific companies) because at the time I remember thinking well, how do I get my hands on left over material from these companies too?!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think he said it during either the first two episodes (when the designers were all one big lump of people to me) or possible during the upcycling episode, but I definitely remember one of the designers saying that they used leftover material from high end designers (and named three or four specific companies) because at the time I remember thinking well, how do I get my hands on left over material from these companies too?!

Yes, that was Sergio.

Just reading the "About" section kind of makes me want to hurl.  Could it be any more pretentious or self-congratulatory?  About the clothes - I could see with a few revisions some of these might be attractive but not in their present form - they are just too much - too much embellishment, too many bows, and who wears that particular shade of yellow?  Or coral?  And what's up with that weird wide slit up the front?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

who wears that particular shade of yellow?  Or coral?

I had the same thought on the colors, particularly the yellow. But hey, maybe "sickly yellow" will be the trend for summer 2020.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 1/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, ree1778 said:

I also want to point out that quite often rich ladies who lunch are the ones that have the time to organize many benefits and charity events. To think that they are all vapid and unfeeling is a generalization that bears rethinking.

Unfortunately, many of the "ladies who lunch" charity events are those where very little is actually donated after the event. They're mostly opportunities to dress up and play Lady Bountiful and get one's picture in the paper. Not all. But it's very often the case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/27/2020 at 8:05 PM, jackjill89 said:

I know that women 60+ can be very politically active AND have excellent taste in clothing. None of them would be buying Sergio's garments.

Two names: 

Jane Fonda.

Gloria Steinem. 

They are as (if not more) politically active as they've ever been (Jane Fonda's regular arrests for Firedrill Fridays being her latest), and their fashion is on point as well. 

They wouldn't be caught dead in his shit. They are out there doing the real work, not wearing some "political clothing" as their "activism."

Sergio is like the people who make a comment on Facebook but don't ever call their politicians,  go to town halls, or participate in protests or rallies or marches in line with whatever their cause may be, or do anything other than post on Facebook but then brag to their friends about how politically engaged they are. 

You want to be political Sergio? Get off your ass and go to a LGBTQ+ march. Volunteer to answer calls for the Trevor Project. Get your butt on a plane and go to the border and volunteer with one of the humanitarian groups working 24-7 at the border. Donate to one of the groups who provide attorneys for these families trying to stay together. I can promise you, none of those people are wearing clothes with the children's names sewn into them. They're probably wearing the same clothes they've been wearing for two weeks because they have bigger priorities, you tool. 

Those dead children upset you so much you had to do something? You are so concerned for the LGBTQ+ community? Are you going to donate that dress to a charity fashion show where all the money raised goes to the families being separated? No? Going to make a limited edition version of your "cocoon" to sell, with all proceeds going to a group that helps at-risk LGBTQ+?  No?

Then take a seat. Take several of them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13