Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E07: Project Runway x Ashley Longshore

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

When Sergio doubled down on his political message and said he’s just “living my truth” and smirked at the camera, I literally groaned out loud. 

“Living your truth” does not mean appropriating causes and using them as a shield to ward off criticism of your work. How DARE you not put my tent cocoon on the top??!! It’s about TRANS RIGHTS!!

I’m not having it, and very glad the judges (and producers) aren’t either. 

He’s like a modern Willy Wonka character whose character flaw is hiding behind and weaponizing SJW causes for his own selfish gain. 

I wish I could give this a thousand likes. Thank you for summing up so succinctly what is wrong with Sergio’s sudden political fashion angle.

My favorite thing on the runway this week was the skirt Brittany was wearing herself.

I guffawed when Geoffrey said his dress would just have “quiet nips” 😂

I thought Victoria had the best fabric, which was totally wasted on her immature pouting. I wish they would have sent her home, but of course they wouldn’t do that to their darling. Blech.

I liked Nancy’s pants. 

Edited by Ilovepie
Somehow lost my comments.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, Plums said:

Project Runway has had it's share of assholes and cringe-y people before, and none of them have ever made me so uncomfortable watching them as Sergio does. I really really hope he's just playing up a character rather than being mostly authentic, because I can't even be annoyed at him anymore. I genuinely think he's mentally unwell, so much so that it's nowhere even near entertaining to watch him be so lacking in self awareness.

I'm not a mental health professional but there are a lot of people who lack self awareness who don't have any kind of mental health issues. Sergio comes off as so arrogant that he doesn't bother to read the room. He's so busy trying to impart his wisdom that he doesn't care if people actually want to hear it. That doesn't mean he's necessarily mentally unwell.

I hate watching people interact when one person is interacting in good faith but is lacking the social awareness to understand that the other person is putting on a front of politeness until they go away. It's just really awful. I'm not defending him, but I don't like being in this position of feeling pity for someone who is coming across as a delusional narcissist. 

But what is the alternative? To have Chelsey tell him to fuck off? It was clear that Delvin was helping her and Sergio just butted in to offer his unsolicited advice. As someone who has dealt with people like that, usually the fastest way to make them go away is to just let them say what they want to say and then you can get back to what you're doing. If you engage with them in any way, it just goes on longer.

15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

They showed a little clip of Sergio telling another designer “I’m a political designer“, that looked like it came from the Day 1 meet & greet.  I think he has a real need to let everyone know that his work is Special and Important.

Exactly. Everyone else is just making clothes but Sergio has a very sophisticated style for his very exclusive clientele and he has a very important message behind everything he makes. In other words, he thinks he's superior to everyone else in every way.

14 hours ago, dleighg said:

I admit that "flood my basement" was a new one for me. I'm old.

Ginger Minj famously said it on S7 of RuPaul's Drag Race. That was back in 2015 and I STILL remember it because it was so memorable!

13 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:
  • Nancy's pussy hat. 

It was a fox hat.

nancy.jpg.b41637c91c12072b76583c129dbd632d.jpg

8 hours ago, kicksave said:

I love Geoffrey but I just have to say that as a designer, would it have been too much to wear a nice shirt with sleeves to Bergdorf Goodman? The tank top with the hairy armpits was a little on the rough side for this store. 

I was fine with it because whenever the designers are taken on field trips to existing stores/businesses, they're closed down for the show. To me it's similar to when you get a behind the scenes tour - the regular dress code doesn't apply. And even stores like Bergdorf Goodman know that people who wear a wide range of clothing shop there. Just because you wear yoga pants and a hoodie or a tank top with flip flops doesn't mean you can't shop there. And Bergdorf Goodman sells men's tank tops.       Shouldn't you be able to wear something that they sell at the store?

And armpit hair isn't a bad thing! Not everyone feels the need to wax themselves from the neck down.

• Love 21
17 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ginger Minj famously said it on S7 of RuPaul's Drag Race. That was back in 2015 and I STILL remember it because it was so memorable!

As I said I'm old. Never heard of Ginger Minj, and never set eyes on RuPaul's Drag Race. I'm constantly amazed at how much pop culture is just assumed to be widely known 🙂

• Love 15
16 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

Sergio and Victoria are the designated villains of the season; no way he makes it to the end, and while I wouldn't rule out her making the finale, Bravo is smarter than Lifetime and probably would keep her in a better light if she actually won.

I thought sergio’s look was unremarkable. And slightly dated.  Maybe because he typically designs for rich older ladies, his past few looks (maybe all his looks) have been unoriginal.

Just two words for you...Gretchen and that woman who literally couldn't sew on a button and just draped everything.

We'll see.....

With regard to Sergio's esthetic, such as it is...with genuine respect... I'm a reasonably well off older lady (65+), enjoy clothes and don't need to revisit my youth or even middle age when I get dressed in the morning. If I say so myself, I know fashion, I know vintage and understand both.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, kicksave said:

I love Geoffrey but I just have to say that as a designer, would it have been too much to wear a nice shirt with sleeves to Bergdorf Goodman? The tank top with the hairy armpits was a little on the rough side for this store. 

The store that appears to have an entire cafe dedicated to Ashley Longshore's stuff?  I would question BG's taste.  I didn't even notice Geoffrey's outfit because I was blinded by AL's prints and sparkles.  

• Love 15
12 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

The guest judge was like an SNL character from the late 90's, and also really authentic. I'm conflicted. 

Ooooh I finally got to watch this and I have things to SAY!

I have been a fan of Ashley Longshore’s for a bit and own a couple of her more “affordable” things (a bag and a book, lol).  She is originally from Alabama and apparently realized early on that she was never going to be a financially successful artist if she worked through galleries (as they take a substantial cut of the sales), so she built up a following via IG, opened her own gallery, and the like and now sells her large paintings for tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Two to three times a year she sells “smalls” which are 12” square mini versions of her larger paintings, for $2500 each, along with giant bedazzled lipsticks, beaded bags, acrylic trays, etc. It all sells out within a day if not hours...one day I calculated it and the woman made somewhere between $1M and $2M in a couple of hours. She has grown her business into collaborations with Judith Leiber and others as well.

Regarding the “sayings” paintings...if you go back a year or two, she was heavy into painting profiles of Audrey Hepburn with masses of lovely flowers, birds, or butterflies on her head and some of them are really beautiful.  I’m not super crazy about where she’s gone with her paintings recently, particularly a really recent political oddity, but I respect her hustle and the AL bag I own says “Work Hard Eat Carbs Spend Money” so...yeah. Much like my own opinion, she pairs well with a big grain of salt 🙂

She lives/operates her gallery in New Orleans, and her IG is a fun follow if you’re into slightly obnoxious superficially sparkly fun shit. She’ll post inspirational stuff with a pile of funny and obscene hashtags, which is probably why Brittany was all about them.  All that said...

1) Her art really doesn’t translate into fabric and it looks like that was probably only done for the show. At least I hope so anyway. Probably was the way to get her on the show since she is big buds with Christian?

2) New Orleans locals who have had experiences with her do not like her, full stop. She is a LOT and it’s easy to see why they feel that way; sometimes I get tired of her too and that’s just as an IG follower. 

3) She is very close with her dad and when the BG cafe and store window displays were revealed he was with her, and IIRC they were both crying. He is very supportive of her and they have a sweet relationship.

Ok on to the clothes/contestants: loved Dayoung’s outfit. I just adore everything Geoffrey, he is a peach of a person. 

Sergio...the dress was nice but he just sucks the air out of everything. The clothes, the room, the universe, hell I’m going to blame the buckled tile that I discovered in my kitchen upon returning from a long trip yesterday on his sucking ability.

Delvin’s work is great, Victoria wears the weirdest mess herself, and Nancy’s without the coat was fun.  Did not think Brittany’s was win-worthy.

PS: the Audrey style paintings:

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Useful 13
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

As I said I'm old. Never heard of Ginger Minj, and never set eyes on RuPaul's Drag Race. I'm constantly amazed at how much pop culture is just assumed to be widely known 🙂

Yeah, I hadn’t heard that expression either.  

• Love 2

I don't remember when they got the news they were going to BG's, but even if they weren't already dressed yet, I don't know how wide a range of clothes Geoffrey has in his luggage.  I guess he could have worn the rainbow outfit if he felt he needed to cover up more!  (A mark of a good reality TV scene:  You can relate it to someone who doesn't watch the show without having to tell too much background information, and they can find it as amusing as you do!  My sister appreciated it even though she has never clapped eyes on either Geoffrey or Christian).

• Love 1

I admit I’m no fashion maven so maybe I just don’t get it. I don't know Ashley Longshore but I know Bergdorf’s and I just don’t see the two mixing together.  I enjoyed the fact that her personality was bubbly and her critiques were strong.  Her art may be enjoyable, I don’t know, I have only seen what was on the show, but to me those fabrics were hideous.  Truly ugly.  Victoria’s was the only was that wasn’t horrible.  But the rest were either drab, dull and ugly or the opposite, too loud, colorful and ugly. The prints were trying way too hard to be outrageous.  That said I have to confess the only outfit that I liked in the end was Sergio’s. I did not like Delvin’s outfit today but I’m hoping for him for the win.  I like his personality and his skills and his taste.  Rare trifecta! 

• Love 10
On 1/23/2020 at 10:53 PM, eyelash said:

It all looked like the robes and pajamas that were available for plus sized women at Christmas time about the time QVC got started back in the 80's (or so).

ExcEpt WiTh EdGy SeXy reFErEnceS  🍆💦🍌👀👅🖕

• LOL 12
  • Love 4

I have never heard of that artist either and was kind of confused that most of the designers seemed to recognize her. 
I don’t get the connection between Ashley and BG either, maybe it’s the store’s attempt to draw in a younger crowd and avoid closing (as Lord n Taylor did).

anyone  else think the producers made the designers perform their runway walks and make it look like a spontaneous thing?

Edited by Kdel1079
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

Her art may be enjoyable, I don’t know, I have only seen what was on the show, but to me those fabrics were hideous.  Truly ugly.  Victoria’s was the only was that wasn’t horrible.  But the rest were either drab, dull and ugly or the opposite, too loud, colorful and ugly. The prints were trying way too hard to be outrageous.

If you go to her "shop" online, outrageous is what she does. Lots of the F word and assorted other outrageousness. Not my cup of tea, especially for $$$$.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Everybody beat me to it, but Geoffrey was maybe overdressed for AL's shop in BG.

Don't care much for her art, either. Even the paints are kinda amateurish. So, she has a Thomas Kinkade thing going? Lots of fans who shell out the big bucks? I'm with RBONNNIE, her fabrics are either loud or drab, but mostly ugly. And, yeah, with dildos and nipples. Whatevs.

• Love 10

I really enjoyed this challenge.  The colors in the prints were fun, and because they were similar in saturation and fabric content, it made the designers have to set themselves apart from each other by design.  

My thoughts:

Brittany:  Loved hers again.  The yellow was a great compliment to her print and it stayed within her aesthetic.  I'm also tired of the chopped looking skirts - maybe if she'd done a panel over in the yellow, or an inset.  But overall it was good.  

Nancy: her jacket wasn't oversized.  It was frumpy and unsized.  DeeDee (sp?) is fantastic and even they couldn't make it look good.  It just swallowed them.  When they took off the jacket, the shirt and pants were fabulous.  Had she left that jacket off, I think she would have been at least safe.  I love Nancy's attitude though and hope she stays on the show for a bit longer.

Sergio: His dress was ok.  It was fun, but I think we saw that dress in a different print last month when shopping for a winter formal dress for DD.  When the challenge started, I told DD that I'd make a garden party type of dress, so maybe that's why I was ok with his.  The top was a snooze.  The reveal was too much though.  He really reminds me of an old saying - Better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.  

Chelsea was right where she belonged. In the middle.  There wasn't anything special about it, but it was well made.  Sigh.  Moving on.

Delvin:  He did what he does well.  Tailored suits.  The print was the only thing that made this in any way unique.  That said, it was nice to see his joy this week.  I'd like to see him put a little more variety out though - you can do a lot with a pantsuit.  

Geoffrey.  Sweet, sweet Geoffrey.  I thought he was too much at the beginning, but now I love him.  He is so talented but needs more confidence in his own abilities.

Marquise:  I am sad to see him go.  Hoping that next week's drama brings him back, or he gets Christian's save. Yes, his top was a hot mess, but the overall look was ok.  It was at least more interesting than Chelsey and Sergio.

Dayoung:  Girl isn't well.  I hope that she doesn't sacrifice her well being (physical or mental) for this show.  I know these episodes are fillmed day-after-day, but she is fading fast.  Her outfit was ok, but somewhat recycled.  I feel like she's leaning awfully hard on her Asian roots for everything she does. Not that it's a bad thing, but she's not showing a lot of variety.

Speaking of lack of variety...

Victoria:  GIRL!  STOP!! JUST STOP!!!  When she was on top, her "oh, it's ok being on top" comments were so phony.  Now we're seeing the real Victoria coming out.  I cringed when she badmouthed the print.  If you don't like flowers, why the f*ck did you choose the print with flowers?  There were plenty of others at that point.  She's a one-trick pony.  Right side cutout at waist.  Choice of belt or tacky fabric across said cutout.  Boring solid colors. Piping.  Chain decoration.  Asymmetrical hem on jacket longer on left.  YAWN.  I cannot figure out how the judges keep loving it.  I will admit to liking it the first week.  Now it's old.  Give us something new.  Or just storm off.  Either one, just choose.  But don't sit in the lounge and pout when you're safe after being in the bottom.  Take their feedback (read - listen to the challenge and use the damn print) and grow from it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, SuzySmith said:

Delvin:  He did what he does well.  Tailored suits.  The print was the only thing that made this in any way unique.

Yeah I didn't really get the love for this. It was a pant suit for goodness sake.

• Love 7

Ashley the judge was very a lot.  Everything she said at the runway seem designed to create a hashtag moment.  Do they not show everyone's goodbye hug, or does Karli not hug every eliminee?  

I love Delvin more every week.  I'm nobody's high fashion model, but I could easily be convince to wear that pant suit.  It really was flattering on the model.  Yeah, it wasn't earth-shattering, but in the end, he's got to build his business on stuff people will actually wear.  

I appreciated Marquise admitting that he lacked the skill/experience to tailor for a curvy model.  Other designers in the past have blamed the model for not fitting their designs properly.  Having said that, I wish the model had worn a foundation garment that lifted those girls; it would have made a difference with those tragic darts.  

Shut up, Sergio.  And shut up, Victoria. At this point every designer has experienced the embarrassment, disappointment, and shame of being on the bottom (I think), so stop acting like a burn victim.  

And I love Christian's mentoring.  He has credibility from having been in that same insane atmosphere, but also, his brand of mentoring is incredibly practical and helpful, not like Tim Gunn's vague "you should think very carefully about that..."  He was spot on with Nancy's oversized coat situation.  

• Love 16

So, she has a Thomas Kinkade thing going? 

In what way?

I liked the prints, but I also have a closet full of vintage '70s psychedelia, so an overabundance of blaring color is my norm (though I do prefer to pair it with a lot of black). Haha, I once accidentally bought some fabric for a skirt without realizing that it was a subtle pot-leaf motif! (I don't even indulge; practically makes me spontaneously barf. Some '70s fan I am).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not a mental health professional but there are a lot of people who lack self awareness who don't have any kind of mental health issues. Sergio comes off as so arrogant that he doesn't bother to read the room. He's so busy trying to impart his wisdom that he doesn't care if people actually want to hear it. That doesn't mean he's necessarily mentally unwell.

But what is the alternative? To have Chelsey tell him to fuck off? It was clear that Delvin was helping her and Sergio just butted in to offer his unsolicited advice. As someone who has dealt with people like that, usually the fastest way to make them go away is to just let them say what they want to say and then you can get back to what you're doing. If you engage with them in any way, it just goes on longer.

Exactly. Everyone else is just making clothes but Sergio has a very sophisticated style for his very exclusive clientele and he has a very important message behind everything he makes. In other words, he thinks he's superior to everyone else in every way.

It was a fox hat.

nancy.jpg.b41637c91c12072b76583c129dbd632d.jpg

I was fine with it because whenever the designers are taken on field trips to existing stores/businesses, they're closed down for the show. To me it's similar to when you get a behind the scenes tour - the regular dress code doesn't apply. And even stores like Bergdorf Goodman know that people who wear a wide range of clothing shop there. Just because you wear yoga pants and a hoodie or a tank top with flip flops doesn't mean you can't shop there. And Bergdorf Goodman sells men's tank tops.       Shouldn't you be able to wear something that they sell at the store?

And armpit hair isn't a bad thing! Not everyone feels the need to wax themselves from the neck down.

Alrighty then...must be a generational thing.

1 hour ago, Archery said:

I appreciated Marquise admitting that he lacked the skill/experience to tailor for a curvy model.  Other designers in the past have blamed the model for not fitting their designs properly.  Having said that, I wish the model had worn a foundation garment that lifted those girls; it would have made a difference with those tragic darts.  

I really don't understand why he didn't take 10 minutes to move them.  If he really discovered it late, simply remove some of the stitching from the under-boob darts (I doubt he trimmed them so the fabric was still there.  It would NOT have been great but it still would have improved the look of the shirt.

Very entertaining episode.

Delvin: We'll see if Sergio has a political message this week ...if he's in the bottom.

Geoffrey: Dayoung is looking like ET, in that scene where he is dying.

Ashley: Flood my basement.

Thought Dayoung should have won. Was gonna riot if Nancy was offed. Victoria got a smack down. And I actually liked Sergio's look. I will never "get" the straps hanging down from the sleeves thing.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, carrps said:

Yeah, they were not good prints. Not well designed, and the mix of BRIGHTS and pastel colors looked cheap to me. And the slogans? Just so done. It's like those dorky pillows with "cute" sayings on them that old ladies have all over their houses. She had energy, yeah, but it's the kind of energy that I would be sick of after like five minutes in her presence.

The outfit Ashley was wearing at judging said, “Buy me a drink if you’re going to try to F me.” Or something like that. 

Not original, funny or clever, IMO. Frankel/RHoNYC level humor. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The store that appears to have an entire cafe dedicated to Ashley Longshore's stuff?  I would question BG's taste.  I didn't even notice Geoffrey's outfit because I was blinded by AL's prints and sparkles.  

Agreed!  So I just looked at Bergdorf’s website to see if that boutique is still there, and online they are only selling one item of hers, a tray that says there’s no crying at Bergdorf Goodman.   Next week I’ll be in the city, I might just go and satisfy my curiosity as to whether she is still sold in store or is it still just the one online item.  When I click on the names of the other designers on BG website, they have pages of items.  I wonder if this whole boutique was a one day thing put together just for the show 

• Useful 11
  • Love 3

I think where Marquise really got caught is that trying to tailor for a person who is both busty and plus-size is difficult, if you don't know what you're doing. It's often not just a matter of adjusting tolerances on a standard pattern block, it can be a different pattern block entirely. I swear I heard Christian mention something about a princess seam, but it seems like Marquise didn't quite do a princess seam - there was a side bodice dart and a front bodice dart that created almost a princess seam. An actual princess seam would have been much more flattering on that model because it would have given the close fit without creating all that extra bunching and fabric right at the bust point. Another thing that was contributing to that bunching was that his front bodice darts were really long. For plus size/full bust people, you want those darts to stop farther away from the bust point than you would for a standard size or flatter-chested model. 

All that being said, Marquise pretty clearly has quite a lot of talent and passion for what he does and I really hope that he gets the kind of mentorship that would teach him what he doesn't know. 

Also, I think that's the big difference between Brandon encouraging Delvin to stay in his lane and calling Victoria out for being one-note is that making well tailored is a much broader lane. One can make a lot of different shapes that are well-tailored (i.e. flattering in proportion and shape). It seemed like Brandon's big problem with Victoria is that she only knows the one shape (tight, cutouts, hardware for accessories.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

Agreed!  So I just looked at Bergdorf’s website to see if that boutique is still there, and online they are only selling one item of hers, a tray that says there’s no crying at Bergdorf Goodman.   Next week I’ll be in the city, I might just go and satisfy my curiosity as to whether she is still sold in store or is it still just the one online item.  When I click on the names of the other designers on BG website, they have pages of items.  I wonder if this whole boutique was a one day thing put together just for the show 

Bergdorf Goodman’s beauty cafe was redone with Longshore’s art, renamed Palette at BG, and opened in June of 2018; as far as I know it is still set up with her art/decor. You can buy the art that is installed in the cafe but I imagine it’s not the online type of pricing.

edit: looks to still be set up that way

https://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/c/the-store-bergdorf-goodman-restaurants-palette-cat485404

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Useful 2

Didn't love the guest judge. She annoyed me. Yes, she was upbeat and positive, but I think a little of her goes a loooooooong way. Some of the prints were fun, some were downright ugly. I didn't like the colors of Marquise's print, especially when he mixed in the mustard. I know mustard is a hot color now, but it didn't work. Besides, I thought these designers were supposed to be ahead of trends and showing us something new. 

Also hate the asymmetric skirts. It's like the high-low skirt trend turned on it's side. There's been so much of it from different designers this season. Again... shouldn't we be seeing something new and unique? Between that, all the straps, cut outs and flaps, I feel like there's a lot of designers working from the same playbook. 

I haven't loved Victoria's work, but generally it is well made. Her scoffing at the prints reminds me of when a contestant on Top Chef has to work with canned goods. If you're a good chef, you can make it work. If you're a good designer, you should be able to work with whatever you're given. Be creative. 

Brittany is taking a page from the Hester Sunshine playbook and dressing up for the runway. It is irritating. I have like some of her designs, but she is "extra" annoying to me. 

Oh Sergio... the political designer for rich old ladies. Maybe I'm stereotyping but rich old ladies and political statements don't seem to be a mix, unless his political bent is conservative. Even then, I find it hard to believe a lady who lunches wants to say anything with her garment. Just give her something luxe. 

Christian makes me smile. I agree that mentor Christian is so much better than contestant Christian. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

Ooooh I finally got to watch this and I have things to SAY!

I really appreciate your insight and perspective on AL.  To me, she is a woman that I would probably love on Tuesday, and run from on Friday, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm a big fan of capitalism and the free market, so a big WHOO HOO! to her for monetizing her art and her personality.  May we all have the chance to smack that homerun outta da park!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, jackjill89 said:

Also hate the asymmetric skirts. It's like the high-low skirt trend turned on it's side. There's been so much of it from different designers this season. Again... shouldn't we be seeing something new and unique? Between that, all the straps, cut outs and flaps, I feel like there's a lot of designers working from the same playbook. 

This has been such torture for me this season.  I truly hate the side mullet look and can't understand why it is a thing.  Add the random straps and cut-outs everywhere, and these outfits barely count as clothes.  Brittany's straps didn't even let the model move her arms and, if she had lifted them, seemed like the whole top would fall apart. 

• Love 15
On 1/23/2020 at 8:18 PM, StillHere said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again. These folks are straight-up fools for keep helping Daeyoung while she kicks their ass. This ain’t no damn commune.

And I don’t blame Victoria for not wanting to be comforted and prodded after the runway. For all we know, it was just sinking in what a simp she was. Meanwhile Daeyoung’s will-she-won’t-she acts continues ...

Or as I interpreted the situation: Victoria knew her design wasn't fulfilling the brief (again) and opted to "finish" 2 hours early rather than try harder. It's not for me to question her genuine desire to help Daeyoung but, however kind, it was also an awfully convenient distraction from having to continue confronting her own limitations as a designer.

I don't think she felt like a simp. I think she's probably immature and can't separate losing from being seen as weak.

IME, in the real world, success is built on collaboration. Helping someone out when you can. Frankly, Victoria's offering to lend a sewing hand (not a designing one, which seems very different) reassured me she has real confidence, which is very different from empty bravado (hello, Sergio).

Last - so what if Daeyoung isn't physically robust? And why the suggestion that she's faking/milking it? I've got a severe physical disability and I like seeing competitors who don't have the constitutions of warrior-athletes.

Yes, Daeyoung may not be able to continue and that she has had help - but unlike some (Sergio! Again!) - her ability to develop good relationships means people respect her and want to help her. In any tough industry, that's HUGE.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think someone here nailed it when they said she's low on iron.  I used to work a stressful job and I would forget about having lunch until I finally fainted on the job.  It was that day I swore that I wouldn't let it happen again.  I break everyday at 12 for lunch now.  It's low on blood sugar or iron.  It's incredibly common.

I continually project my own medical experiences on others so I keep yelling, "Check her oxygen levels! Check her Vitamin D levels!" at the tv. I had respiratory failure misdiagnosed as iron deficiency once upon a time. Then a D deficiency suddenly showed up one day as symptoms of anxiety/panic, fatigue, and depression. Both very treatable. When recognized.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, dleighg said:

Oh, I'm kind of old and I love RuPaul's Drag Race - you should give it a watch sometime!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

I think you mean a faux hat.

I thought it was an ugly hat and she's too old to be wearing it.  Just my opinion but there are just some things a woman of a certain age (and I'm a woman of a certain age) should just say no to if she wants to keep her dignity.  Of course I'm not her and she can do whatever she wants but it looked ridiculous on her...just my opinion of course.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Also hate the asymmetric skirts. It's like the high-low skirt trend turned on it's side. There's been so much of it from different designers this season. Again... shouldn't we be seeing something new and unique? Between that, all the straps, cut outs and flaps, I feel like there's a lot of designers working from the same playbook

THIS! It's as if every challenge brief includes an instruction that each design must include at least one, but preferably all, of those elements.

This episode was fun! (Except for DaYoung being ill). Loved the nod to early PR good times with the walk-off. Laughed at Sergio being picked last to choose a print. Laughed harder at Victoria's fall from grace and subsequent tantrum - especially after her fakety-fake proclamation last week of how she felt so bad about always being in the top. Happy Delvin is even hotter than pensive Delvin.

I wasn't familiar with Ashley L., but I credit her positive energy and (most of) the designers' excitement at working with her art with making this episode so good.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 10
On 1/24/2020 at 8:40 PM, lidarose9 said:

I'm sure the competition is exhausting, and some of them are probably battling jet lag during the first few days -- but if Dayoung isn't well enough or strong enough to keep up, she needs to go.

So. Much. This.

I think she should've been gone after episode 2. The fact she was able to stay in bed all day and then magically re-enter the competition? And basically force the judges to declare her work safe, or else they risk looking heartless when she had one day less to work (and everyone pitched in to help her). How was that fair to the other designers?

And now, again, when she's sick and can't work and has people helping her, she winds up in the top? When she can barely make it through the day?

If you need an ambulance or emergency medical care, or the other contestants have to call a medic on you (for the second time), you. should. go. home. Period. Full stop. I'm sure she's a lovely person, but this isn't Project Kindergarten. It's a competition with a huge cash prize, as Karlie likes to remind us.

Send. Dayoung. Home. Please. For her health, and to be fair to the other designers who can make it through the competition without health issues.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 8
On 1/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, HelloOutThere said:

When Sergio doubled down on his political message and said he’s just “living my truth” and smirked at the camera, I literally groaned out loud. 

“Living your truth” does not mean appropriating causes and using them as a shield to ward off criticism of your work. 

But he is living his truth! His truth is pretentious mediocrity.

10 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Oh Sergio... the political designer for rich old ladies. Maybe I'm stereotyping but rich old ladies and political statements don't seem to be a mix, unless his political bent is conservative. 

If they can get Jane Fonda or Susan Sarandon to guest judge, he’s golden!

3 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I think she should've been gone after episode 2. The fact she was able to stay in bed all day and then magically re-enter the competition? And basically force the judges to declare her work safe, or else they risk looking heartless when she had one day less to work (and everyone pitched in to help her). How was that fair to the other designers?

And now, again, when she's sick and can't work and has people helping her, she winds up in the top? When she can barely make it through the day?

.I agree with you that she shouldn’t be given any special treatment due to illness, and if her Episode 2 garment hadn’t been competition-worthy, she should have been gone. But it was! I was really surprised that she was able to come up with something that good in half the time, and it appeared to me like she hustled and did most of it herself.

I also don’t have any problem with people helping her. It’s their choice.  And it’s not like she’s the first designer to get a helping hand.

If she’s not talented enough, she’ll be gone, no matter how many people help her. And if they’re more talented than she is, then they’ll beat her anyway.  (This is assuming, of course, that the judging is based on talent, which is another topic altogether.)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 19
12 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Oh Sergio... the political designer for rich old ladies. Maybe I'm stereotyping but rich old ladies and political statements don't seem to be a mix, unless his political bent is conservative. Even then, I find it hard to believe a lady who lunches wants to say anything with her garment. Just give her something luxe.

I thought that in the first or second episode, Sergio said that his customer base is 40 year old women. That's not exactly old lady age. If you look at the pictures from the annual Women's March, there were many politically minded women who were 40+ in attendance. Not every woman over 40 with enough money to splash out on clothes is an old lady who lunches.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought that in the first or second episode, Sergio said that his customer base is 40 year old women. That's not exactly old lady age. If you look at the pictures from the annual Women's March, there were many politically minded women who were 40+ in attendance. Not every woman over 40 with enough money to splash out on clothes is an old lady who lunches.

My recollection is that he said over 40, and my take on the way he said it (and his being Texas-based) was that it evoked a lady-who-lunches customer. Which, as an over 40 who doesn’t wear ugly red lace dresses and is still 12 in the head, puts me squarely not in his customer base. And that’s pretty ok by me.

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought he said 40 to 60? Whatever it is, it's too stuffy and pretentious for me. I cannot stand him. Shout-out to @30 Helens for calling his truth "pretentious mediocrity."

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that. I'm 54. I don't consider myself old. I'm not a lady who lunches. However, the way he has subsequently described his client on the runway and in talking heads and his arrogance, coupled with the fact he's in Texas (yes, I know Austin is a progressive oasis in the middle of a red desert),  just conjure up this image in my mind and that image doesn't really want to explain what they're wearing, they just want to look good. I said I was probably stereotyping. 

Sergio has made some beautiful garments. But his arrogance regarding both his talent and "his" causes just makes me stabby. Ugh. 

11 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I thought he said 40 to 60? Whatever it is, it's too stuffy and pretentious for me. I cannot stand him. Shout-out to @30 Helens for calling his truth "pretentious mediocrity."

Pretentious. Describes him perfectly. 

• Love 4

After this episode I'm of the mindset that Victoria is not winning.  I don't think editing would have shown her tantrums and remarks about prints.  I think this panel might like someone a little more rounded and able to use all materials to win.  I'm probably wrong here.

I also think that eventually they are going to ding her for not following the instructions because they brought up the other week with the blue pantsuit and specifically said she didn't follow instructions.  Also for doing the same exact top every single week.

I hope Marquis comes back if someone quits or leaves due to illness.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jackjill89 said:

...just conjure up this image in my mind and that image doesn't really want to explain what they're wearing, they just want to look good. 

Love the way you expressed this 🙂

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 1

One thing that I wondered if the editing was hinting at was that if Victoria had decided to go with more of the print, she might have had leftover, more forgiving, white fabric and if she had given it to Marquise he might not have had as much of a fit problem.

Speaking of Marquise, I checked out the aftershow video interview on YouTube, and there are more pictures of his ballroom scene creations, and he and Christian play a funny guessing game.  He was gracious (as was Shavi in his).  

• Love 4

I looked up Sergio's company's website, and he doesn't seem to have made up his clothing "activism" for the show:

CELESTINO believes in designing with a purpose, maintaining a strong socially conscious mentality and standing up for environmental and political issues that affect the United States and beyond. Each design is created with hidden messages in order to bring awareness to social causes, and in turn, prompt others to assist in resolving them. 

The clothes mainly look costume-y to me. And as a bonus, his fall/winter 2019 collection dives right into cultural appropriation (a concept that I have mixed feelings about, but in this case, cannot disregard). https://celestinocouture.com/collections/fall-winter-2019

Inspired by the Japanese warrior women known as Onna-Bugeisha, the fearless fighters of the Samurai time that have gone virtually unmentioned in the annals of time. Protecting their families, lands, and fighting for their beliefs, these warriors were a true display of the power of women; a quality that Celestino continuously strives to showcase and uphold. The strength of the onna-bugeisha combined with the elegance and beauty of the Japanese aesthetic found in the gardens, art, and fashions throughout history have been woven together to create the latest Celestino collection.

Rich, eye-catching pastels and floral brocades play on the classical Japanese imagery and the common fabrications found in traditional kimonos. Shapes commonly found in kimonos such as elongated sleeves and flowing hemlines have been coupled and blended into the classical silhouettes for which Celestino has become known. The innate strength of women displayed through a regal elegance. The entire collection was developed with women of all sizes in mind.

I will give him props for being, or at least claiming to be, size-inclusive.

*I was going to put this in the Sergio thread so as not to go too far off-topic, and then realized that there don't seem to be individual contestant threads. Am I missing something?

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Amen. Remember that many over-40s came up in the Sixties and still cherish the causes that influenced us then. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

and that image doesn't really want to explain what they're wearing, they just want to look good. I said I was probably stereotyping. 

Sergio has made some beautiful garments. But his arrogance regarding both his talent and "his" causes just makes me stabby. Ugh. 

Pretentious. Describes him perfectly. 

I think most people (not even just women) don't want to explain what they're wearing but just want to look good. And I think that's going to hurt Sergio if not on the show, then in his business. Perhaps he could just do slogan T-shirts.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Amen. Remember that many over-40s came up in the Sixties and still cherish the causes that influenced us then. 

I was born in 1958 and am 61.  I don't consider that I "came up" in the sixties - my sister, who was 4 years older than me, was much more influenced by that decade.  Most of the women who "came up" in the sixties are now in their 70s...I would be interested to see if they wanted to wear clothing featuring the names of dead children.

• Love 6