Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E07: Project Runway x Ashley Longshore

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, StillHere said:

Meanwhile Daeyoung’s will-she-won’t-she acts continues ...

Oh wow, I hope I'm not mistaken in my assessment above about her being a gentle soul.   I am fairly close to several Asian young women who truly are, so that's informing my perspective.   I will be crushed if Dayoung turns out to be a snake in the grass.

On another note, I can't say enough how much I'm loving Christian.   He's perfect in this role.   I really like Karlie too.   Heidi who?   Tim?  Who's Tim?

• Love 11

Okay, seeing the preview, I am done, finito mundo, with Da Young and her infirmities....and concomitant help from other contestants. Send her home.

Brittany: I liked the pleated skirt,  liked the 3-D butterflies, but the hackneyed hem? Yawn.

Delvin: Owed much to Christian's advice. But it was simply a fitted pantsuit.

Sergio: Sometimes a reveal is just a reveal. 

I agreed with the Auf. 

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Oh wow, I hope I'm not mistaken in my assessment above about her being a gentle soul.   I am fairly close to several Asian young women who truly are, so that's informing my perspective.   I will be crushed if Dayoung turns out to be a snake in the grass.

On another note, I can't say enough how much I'm loving Christian.   He's perfect in this role.   I really like Karlie too.   Heidi who?   Tim?  Who's Tim?

Oh, this isn’t to slight Dayoung’s character. ASFIK, she could be as lovely as she seems. But it’s one thing to be concerned and supporting her around her health, and it’s another thing entirely to help her with her garments. 

• Love 14

I haven't even finished the judging, but these guys are ridiculous.. in one breath they are saying that Delvin was amazing and really needs to focus on his "lane" stay in that lane!! 

And then two seconds later they were complaining that Victoria has this narrow place where she shines as a designer and is just missing the mark the last two weeks by basically "staying in her lane" and doing what she's comfortable with. 

Which is it judges??? HMMM??? 

I mean, I didn't hate Victoria's but she didn't use enough of the print and she does the same shape all the time... so I wasn't like rooting for her... but you can't tell another contested that they are great and should keep making tailored suits just with amazing fabrics no matter the challenge. 

I liked Brittanies except for that dumb mis-matched skirt. Why is this a thing???? It literally looks like two skirts, cut in half and sewn back together. Wouldn't it have looked just as nice if they were the same length? Or even angled short to long but on an angle instead of a complete straight change in the lengths? Ugh.. i just think it's a dumb trend... like the poopy pants a few years back. 

Dayoungs looked like a bathrobe to me.. or reminded me of like graduation sashes/ a graduation gown.

Nancy's just had so much bulk to it, but her print was fun, and her dildo pocket.... I can't believe Brandon was so scandalized by the word dildo and flood my basement! 

I'm sad to see Marquis go, since he really tries to do cool things... but his shirt was terrible... 

• Love 13

So, Sergio’s client is a 40 something rich woman interested in political statement couture? Sure.

I had no idea who Ashley was, but she was a blast. Brittany winning could have been a cool moment for her, but she’s too openly annoying about being the most extra extra that ever existed.

Dayoung gave props to Victoria on the runway for helping her. That was sweet and    totally something Sergio didn’t do the prior week. Poor girl looked really pale.

Vic wasn’t going home, but glad the judges are recognizing her coasting on the same cutouts. There’s a “signature style” and there’s a one way monkey (tm Dimitri). I think she was mad at herself more than being a brat. And when some people get mad at themselves, they need time alone, hard to do in a fishbowl.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

I had no idea who Ashley was, but she was a blast.

She sure was!   I'd never heard of her either, but she brought a spark to this week's show.   I love Cyndi Lauper, but she was kind of a drag on her week.  It surprised me.

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

There's a plane leaving for Moldova in half an hour, Victoria.  In case you're interested.

29 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Da Young and her infirmities....

25 minutes ago, roctavia said:

I'm loving your comments so much!  I love Dayoung, but I don't know if she has the constituition for this show.   As for the judges, ???   They probably say whatever TPTB tell them to say, although I hope that's not the case.  But contradiction is glaring.   It must be confusing to be a designer on this show!   The only one I'd listen to is Christian.

• Love 4

Oh, my gosh. Christian’s movements while explaining

Big

Oven

Mitt 

!

He is cracking me up tonight. 

He seems to be having so much fun this episode!

And then he made this grabbing motion saying “potato.” He reminded me of a heterosexual male stand-up comedian.

Loving him. 

Okay. I now have a crush on Geoffrey. “More happiness.” And his model could not be cuter. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Believe it or not, I'm like that too.   But Dayoung seems like such a gentle soul and  she was completely rebuffed by Victoria's snotty wave off of the hug.   She could have reached out, clasped Dayoung's hand, or something vaguely gracious, but she did not do that.   But I hear what you're saying about personal space.

I agree about personal space and not forcing hugs but I think we’ve seen Victoria hugging people. So I can see why Dayoung would have thought it was OK. Victoria could have declined without biting her head off. It will be fun to see how she reacts if she gets aufed. Way to build a crappy rep for yourself  

in real life aren’t the challenges filmed day after day, one after another? If so, in real time Dayoung has been sick for a little over a week, I think? I hope it’s just a bug and she just needs some rest and hydration or something. She does look super pale and moist. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I hate to say this but, Sergio’s dress was really good.  So glad Geoffrey is safe.  I was afraid for him.  Victoria did indeed miss the mark on this one.

Yes. For me, Sergio's should've been in the top 3 for sure. I actually liked the cute dress with the half belt in front and the flair in the back also.

And yes, Sergio can be a jerk, but for me Victoria ain't no picnic either.

The pant suit was interesting, but it was a pant suit.

The butterfly thing was interesting, but the bright yellow pleat piece hanging down - rather than a proper hem - ugh. And I hate bright yellow. Too many mid 80s flashbacks. ***

I've been terrible at picking the top 3 this season.

*** (And the horror that was bright neon colored and "Frankie say: Relax" sweatshirts. Sometimes both! As in neon colored "Frankie says Relax" sweatshirts. I never owned a one. Also didn't have those bizarre round wooden handled purses with changeable fabric outsides or those opened healed, wooden "clops" shoes that sounded like a bunch of horses going down the school hallways. Put all of those things with "fall color" corduroys and that's one ugly fashion era.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm wondering exactly what makes Sergio a political designer.  Does he actually do stuff to help the oppressed people he's exploiting to advance his career?  I recently worked with an author who's extremely political but is someone who puts his/her money where her/his mouth is.  So far I've just heard Sergio grandstand about what a hero he is.  And bully other people into embroidering the names of dead children into ruffles in a garment where they couldn't even be read.  And didn't he say he only used sustainable materials, or did I imagine that?  Hasn't seemed to be much of an issue lately, especially tonight.

He's very Laney Boggs crossed with Delia Deetz and Otho. It sounds like he should be fun, but he's not because he took all of the wrong things from those people.

* Not actually Laney Boggs

Edited by HunterHunted
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I really liked Sergio's garment, but not sad he wasn't on top.  I really liked Victoria's garment, but not sad she was on the bottom.  I mostly liked the winner's look.  I'm not getting Nancy's attributes at all, haven't seen anything yet that I would wear, though I love her story.  I haven't been wowed by anything yet that Dayoung has produced.  Don't know how to feel about Geoffrey or Chelsea yet.  The correct designer was auffed (auf'd?) this week.  Who have I missed?  I much prefer Christian the mentor to Christian the contestant.  It is interesting to say the least, that the designers don't seem to seek him out for his valuable expertise, and in fact seem to dread having to interact with him. 

I wouldn't wear any of these prints.  They're much better suited, I guess, to framed art.    

eta - Missed Delvin.  His runway look was far better than the early iteration, but I didn't find it noteworthy at all.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2

First things first - when I initially saw the table of food that was provided for the designers, I only noticed the plate in the foreground so I was like are you fucking kidding me, Ashley/PR producers? These designers just worked all day and you only provided one taco per person?! Then I noticed the second plate in the opposite corner.

711989783_projectrunway.thumb.jpg.30004a70051a31df420f2291815c7e12.jpg

• LOL 10
(edited)

Finally a print challenge! It annoys me when designers say that they don't work with color or prints so I really enjoy when they are forced to use a print. And although I do feel for the designers when they have very limited choices, part of me really liked that they only had bold colorful prints to choose from because I remember past challenges when designers grudgingly chose a tiny print or a very simple print like small houndstooth or plain stripes. This time they had no choice but to incorporate these bright prints into their designs!

The cynical part of me was tempted to believe that what Delvin said was ass kissing, but even the judges noted how much happier he seemed this week and how much he was smiling on the runway. It was nice to hear him say that he usually doesn't work with bright happy stuff but that working with Ashley's prints had him in a happy mood. I hope this inspires him to design some happy stuff in the future.

I love that we're already on week 7 but the designers still like each other enough (well, minus Sergio) to do things like offer their extra fabric to someone else. I always feel bad when the designers realize after a whole day of working on something that one of the fabrics doesn't work. In the real world, you would just go back to the fabric store but here, you're fucked. I agreed with Marquise that the gunmetal fabric didn't look right so it was nice when Geoffrey told him to help himself to all the white fabric he had. But why didn't he use any of that fabric to make a better top? If you have white satin, it has to be tailored to fit like a glove or you will see every imperfection.

Sergio butting in and trying to help Chelsey when Delvin was already helping was so deliciously awkward. I totally cracked up when Delvin said that all Sergio does is make circle skirts and then the editors gave us flashback shots of the numerous circle skirts that Sergio has made.

And I love that they were all checking on Dayoung. When Chelsey offered to help her if she needed anything and Geoffrey said that she doesn't like to bother anyone and then sat with her to make sure that she ate and then rallied everyone else to help her, it made me love them. Not everyone is kind enough to take valuable time from a competition to take care of someone who clearly isn't feeling well. He wasn't kidding when he said that she looked like ET when he was dying. She was so pale that it looked like she was wearing a layer of talcum powder on her face. It made me feel like I was watching Dangerous Liaisons.

IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING WALK OFF! Hahahaha, that will never not be funny.

Christian's critiques were really specific and spot on this week. He told Victoria to use more of the print and even showed her several different options, all of which looked great. When he told Delvin to make his Golden Girls pajamas more fitted and to shorten the jacket, it instantly looked better. Geoffrey's dress needed that cinched in waist. Christian knew that non-stretch white material for Marquise's top was going to be an issue.

Gawd, I am so tired of the long half skirt on one side over shorter skirt on the other side. WHY? I guess on the one hand, the yellow portion of the skirt on Brittany's dress gave the eyes a break from the print. It's always nice to have some contrast. I felt like the strappy bits were going to make the judges think it was Victoria's. I didn't really like it. The way she used the 3D butterflies didn't have much impact on the runway. I wouldn't have noticed them at all if I hadn't known that's what she did and been looking for it.

Geoffrey's dress looked too much like a little girl in a party dress. I'm glad he took Christian's advice to cinch in the waist because before that, she looked like she was wearing one of those inflatable sumo suits. I do like that Geoffrey is able to listen to critiques and make adjustments. He listened to Ashley and he listened to Christian and he incorporated their feedback. I get staying true to your vision and whatnot, but some of these designers are so stubborn/arrogant that they refuse to listen to feedback because they're convinced that their design is perfect and can't be improved upon by other people's professional opinions. Thank goodness Geoffrey isn't one of those people!

Delvin's suit looked so much better after he made the changes that Christian suggested. I still didn't love it but that was a huge improvement.

I liked that Marquise incorporated the beaded bee embellishments to go with the bee eater birds on his print, but overall his design didn't do anything for me. The big loose jacket with the loose skirt made his model look shapeless and a little sloppy. Not everything has to be skin tight (HEIDI) but you do have to think about how the pieces will look together.

Nancy's look was a lot. The reversible coat with pockets for wine, phone, and dildo was a fun idea. I liked the solid fuchsia top underneath. It was not overly fussy but it gave my eyes a break from the busy print. The problem for me was that the oversized coat didn't look right with the huge pants. You can have one or the other but not both.

I liked the shape of Chelsey's dress but I didn't love it.

Victoria made the same strappy thing she makes every fucking week. She also went out of her way to use as little of the flower part of the print as possible. I don't know what possessed her to lay out the fabric so that there were pink flowers right over the crotch area.

I liked Dayoung's outfit. It was smart to use that purple to break up the pattern a little. And Victoria won some points with me for offering to help her and cutting the skirt quickly. I'm glad that Dayoung made sure to give credit to Victoria for that on the runway.

Sergio is really sticking to his "I'm a political designer" story really hard now, isn't he? I liked the coat way more than I liked the dress. And wasn't that slit cut a bit high?

Am I a horrible person because the obvious look of disappointment on Sergio's face when he was called safe amused me?

Apparently Brandon doesn't watch RPDR because I remember when Ginger Minj made the "flood my basement" comment.

10 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I agree about personal space and not forcing hugs but I think we’ve seen Victoria hugging people. So I can see why Dayoung would have thought it was OK. Victoria could have declined without biting her head off. It will be fun to see how she reacts if she gets aufed. Way to build a crappy rep for yourself 

I agree. Of course you should respect other people's personal space but Victoria has not been a staunch anti-hugger until now which means that she's just a sore loser who was pouting and having a temper tantrum. There are ways to graciously tell people you don't want to be hugged/touched right now.

in real life aren’t the challenges filmed day after day, one after another? If so, in real time Dayoung has been sick for a little over a week, I think? I hope it’s just a bug and she just needs some rest and hydration or something. She does look super pale and moist. 

Yes, the challenges are filmed back to back. The first three challenges were two day challenges. The fourth challenge was a one day challenge that began immediately after the third runway. The fifth challenge was a two day challenge and the sixth challenge was another one day challenge. 

14 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

And Tumblr hashtags?

Nope, Instagram hashtags. I don't think anyone uses Tumblr anymore!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

DD is a fantastic model. That walk. Amazing.

But am I the only viewer who didn’t realize that she is still transitioning?

I don't know that we can stay "she is still transitioning".  I don't thing surgery is required for someone to identify as trans.  How far, if at all, they go medically is a private matter and an individual choice.

And it did annoy me that Sergio had chosen "trans" as his political theme of the week.  It sort of seemed like our conversation last week about cultural appropriation.  Maybe he just didn't speak about why he chose that theme, but Sergio didn't appear to have any connection to it except it fit his "I'm a political designer" notion.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

BTW, my closed caption changed dildo pocket to phone pocket. lol

There actually was a phone pocket, in addition to wine and dildo pockets.  Your CC just didn't want to go there, lol.

8 hours ago, nb360 said:

Does any one know what was going on in that exchange between Jeffrey (Geoffrey?) and Christian? I missed the first part of it.

CS glanced at Geo off to the side, in his brightly-colored rainbow outfit, and said something like "you're bringing us something" (color maybe?) to which Geo replied "you know I'm gay", to which CS replied, "oh we know".

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

DD is a fantastic model. That walk. Amazing.

But am I the only viewer who didn’t realize that she is still transitioning?

I thought DD was non-binary. When asked in the first episode I thought they preferred they/them as pronouns.  No transition happening. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

Geoffrey was wearing a rainbow print, Christian made a subtle comment about it (i.e., gay pride), and Geoffrey came back with a deadpan "you know I'm gay right." They were having a silly moment. I liked seeing Geoffrey's quiet cheeky sense of humor.

I wonder if DaYoung had an illness, and the lack of sleep and nutrition and stress exacerbated it. Geoffrey told her to eat. She's made two odd comments about physical sensations in her body.

I watched the CFDA mentorship competition reality series, and it was a big deal with heavy hitters as judges and mentors. Some of the winners went on to notable fashion careers. If PR's CFDA mentorship prize is real, then I figure the judges will pick someone like DaYoung or Brittany as the PR winner. DaYoung's work is elegant and marketable, and Brittany is smart and moldable.

Delvin should stick to strategic shade at people like Sergio. Much more appropriate than some of his earlier nasty snipes.

I feel like Ashley Longshore is just the latest media flash in the pan who knows how to market herself. She has a gallery in the French Quarter. I did enjoy her positive interactions with the designers.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 6

Almost fell off the couch at Geoffrey in his most flamboyant, Pride Parade regalia peeking from the background and asking Christian, “Did you know I’m gay?” He is a bit neurotic, but Geoffrey is really funny and sweet.

• LOL 3
  • Love 19

Sergio really seemed shaken that he was safe this week.   I thought his dress was quite pretty, maybe not worth the dramatic reveal though.   I suspect his problem was that he made a lovely dress but didn't embrace any of the zaniness.  That dress could have been made with pretty much any color or pattern of fabric. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Kroliosis said:

I thought DD was non-binary. When asked in the first episode I thought they preferred they/them as pronouns.  No transition happening. 

This is great and surprising to me.  I am very happy that modeling agencies have embraced this.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I wonder if DaYoung had an illness, and the lack of sleep and nutrition and stress exacerbated it. Geoffrey told her to eat. She's made two odd comments about physical sensations in her body.

when the medic was trying to get a sense of what she was feeling, she started talking about fountains, and the mechanism not working. I really felt for the poor medic! Uh, ok.....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7

The asymmetry is killing me this season. 

Same. Why so many squared-off "flaps" of varying lengths hanging off everything? I would have liked so many designs so far so much better without that kind of thing.

I hated how Victoria swatted Dayoung away, who was just trying to comfort her.

She could have been politer, but I totally get the "I really don't want to be rubbed and cuddled right now" thing.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

In addition to how sweet he was to DaYoung and the funny exchange about his outfit, I love how Geoffrey has become a human Victoria-hair-o-meter.  Maybe he's fascinated with it because he has none.  I have to admit I'm fascinated with it myself!  

I'd still rather she had left than Marquise, but he was never going to win; he took the loss with good grace and I look forward to watching the interview with Christian.  But I do enjoy Victoria's talking heads because I like her accent and I always like to hear how people who have a first language other than English phrase things.  

Glad Geoffrey didn't have giant 3-D nipples on the sleeves, LOL.  His model looked like she was having fun with the dress.

I was amused that Nancy went with the print with swear words to sort of be bold or whatever she said, but then she was taken aback (and apologized to her son) when she belatedly noticed the dildos, but then she embraced them.  I definitely agree that Ashley L liked how she took up the challenge with enthusiasm and I'm sure that helped save her.  

• Love 14
11 hours ago, njbchlover said:

If that's the case that he's feeling strongly about, why doesn't Sergio ever pick the nonbinary model (I'm sorry - I hope that is the correct term)?  

I may be wrong, but it has seemed that in quite a few of the challenges models are just assigned.  In the few challenges where they said the cards were on the table (or whatever) the designers all run over and randomly grab without really looking.  I am not a Sergio apologizer, because I think he's a terrible person, but I don't think it's an active choice of NOT choosing them. 

11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'll never blame someone for not hugging someone else or not wanting to be hugged. I don't like people touching me and I don't like to touch other people like that. Hugging is uncomfortable and weird and creeps me out. However Victoria was just snotty. You can express regret that someone's leaving without hugging them. You can shake hands; you can wish them well, or you could run off and pout in a corner because you weren't the prettiest girl at the prom. She did the latter.

I agree.  My initial thought when Victoria waved off a hug was that she didn't want it because she was trying to stay composed. That's how I am.  If I'm upset and someone hugs me, I will start to cry.  I also just hate hugs.  But, then I saw Victoria pout and wine and throw a temper tantrum.  So, she was just being a brat. 

10 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

10 hours ago, StillHere said:

Oh, this isn’t to slight Dayoung’s character. ASFIK, she could be as lovely as she seems. But it’s one thing to be concerned and supporting her around her health, and it’s another thing entirely to help her with her garments. 

I don't think Dae Young is pretending anything.  I think she's genuinely sick but I also don't think that the other designers should help her.  If she's not well enough to compete, she needs to step down.  Too much collaboration and it's no longer her garment and any win would be unfair.  

10 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm wondering exactly what makes Sergio a political designer.  Does he actually do stuff to help the oppressed people he's exploiting to advance his career?  I recently worked with an author who's extremely political but is someone who puts his/her money where her/his mouth is.  So far I've just heard Sergio grandstand about what a hero he is.  And bully other people into embroidering the names of dead children into ruffles in a garment where they couldn't even be read.  And didn't he say he only used sustainable materials, or did I imagine that?  Hasn't seemed to be much of an issue lately, especially tonight.

I think he's a political designer in name only.  Was last week the first time we even heard him say he was?  Before that he was just an "over 40's, wealthy" designer.

10 hours ago, roctavia said:

I haven't even finished the judging, but these guys are ridiculous.. in one breath they are saying that Delvin was amazing and really needs to focus on his "lane" stay in that lane!! 

And then two seconds later they were complaining that Victoria has this narrow place where she shines as a designer and is just missing the mark the last two weeks by basically "staying in her lane" and doing what she's comfortable with. 

There's a difference between staying true to your aesthetic and making the same damn thing over and over.  I think that's what they were trying to say. 

7 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

This made me throw up in my mouth a little.  😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I was amused that Nancy went with the print with swear words to sort of be bold or whatever she said, but then she was taken aback (and apologized to her son) when she belatedly noticed the dildos, but then she embraced them.  I definitely agree that Ashley L liked how she took up the challenge with enthusiasm and I'm sure that helped save her.  

Nancy would have been safe if she's have skipped that coat or turned it into a shorter jacket.   The pants were neat.  The blouse was certainly nothing new or innovative but it looked nice with the pants.

• Love 6

When Sergio doubled down on his political message and said he’s just “living my truth” and smirked at the camera, I literally groaned out loud. 

“Living your truth” does not mean appropriating causes and using them as a shield to ward off criticism of your work. How DARE you not put my tent cocoon on the top??!! It’s about TRANS RIGHTS!!

I’m not having it, and very glad the judges (and producers) aren’t either. 

He’s like a modern Willy Wonka character whose character flaw is hiding behind and weaponizing SJW causes for his own selfish gain. 

Victoria, meanwhile, was bringing her best Veruca Salt performance tonight. 

I find Geoff adorable and hilarious. He reminds me of a guy I dated briefly who was a librarian and full of nervous energy in a way that was really endearing. And I’m a sucker for a mustache. If you’re ever in Los Angeles, Geoff, holler at me!!! 😝

Edited by HelloOutThere
  • LOL 3
  • Love 21