Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Regionals

• Start Topic

SEASON FINALE!

At the regional choir competition in Lexington, Arthur relishes the opportunity to finally stick it to his old rival, Magnus, when the unexpected happens. Presented with a surprise job offer, Ginny starts to doubt her worth before her big interview. Adams puts her past to bed with her still very alive dead husband, allowing her to move on.

Original air date: 1/23/20

41 minutes ago, reallyjustjen said:

Not at all what I expected, but still enjoyed this episode.  With those cliffhangers, I really need this show to come back for a second season! 

My DVR cut off before the end -- I know that Ginny got the job offer, but what else did I miss? 

And yes -- I want a second season as well. This show has charm to spare. Plus Bradley Whitford. 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, janeyjay said:

My DVR cut off before the end -- I know that Ginny got the job offer, but what else did I miss? 

Arthur showed up and wondered why they were in a drag club; still bummed out, he chooses to sit on the sidelines. Ginny opens with "Ava Maria" in choir robes, then strips down to one of the drag performers' costumes and the rest of the choir -- also decked out in the drag queens' costumes and wigs -- all bust out into an "Ava Maria"/"Do You Believe" mashup, backed up by three Cher impersonators and guest starring Adams' husband in full drag gear. Arthur watches from backstage, and eventually comes out wearing a boa and joining in -- they wrap the song, then he kisses Adams square on the lips, which takes them and everyone else by surprise.

4 hours ago, jmonique said:

Arthur showed up and wondered why they were in a drag club; still bummed out, he chooses to sit on the sidelines. Ginny opens with "Ava Maria" in choir robes, then strips down to one of the drag performers' costumes and the rest of the choir -- also decked out in the drag queens' costumes and wigs -- all bust out into an "Ava Maria"/"Do You Believe" mashup, backed up by three Cher impersonators and guest starring Adams' husband in full drag gear. Arthur watches from backstage, and eventually comes out wearing a boa and joining in -- they wrap the song, then he kisses Adams square on the lips, which takes them and everyone else by surprise.

Regarding the bolded: With respect, the Cher song is just titled “Believe”; the first song in the mashup is “Ave (with an e, not an a) Maria”.

I hope it comes back too. Does such a short season mean anything when it comes to renewal? Anyway, if it doesn't come back, I'm still satisfied with the ending. Sure there were loose ends but nothing I would lose sleep over, like if one of the characters were in an accident or something.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I hope it comes back too. Does such a short season mean anything when it comes to renewal?

If it starts out with a certain number of episodes meant to be a “full” season, especially to accommodate the wishes of the lead or series producer, then it’s not a bad thing. I’ve read the length was to accommodate Bradley Whitford. See The Good Place and Empire for similar kinds of season lengths. On the other hand, the ratings weren’t good so I don’t expect renewal, but the broadcast networks have surprised me lately with what they will renew, especially NBC

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but I kept seeing chemistry with Arthur and Ginny, even though she keeps going back to Wayne, so when Arthur kissed Adams I was floored.  I saw zero chemistry with them prior to this so it seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

I also hopes this gets renewed.  I know that Ginny can't take the job otherwise the biggest star, after BW, would no longer be on the show.  But, I still am interested in seeing her work through it. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

That was a cute singalong at the end, but what was with the autotune?

Fun stuff with Ginny and the would be boss who is a Doctor Who fan

If I’m not mistaken, Cher’s version of Believe used auto tune during some segments. I think they used auto tune with Ave Maria to easily segue into Believe.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

That was a cute singalong at the end, but what was with the autotune?

Believe was one of the first huge songs to use autotune and (for better or for worse) to popularize its blatant use (before that, it was used subtly to correct pitch, not as noticeable effect).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Maybe it's just me, but I kept seeing chemistry with Arthur and Ginny, even though she keeps going back to Wayne, so when Arthur kissed Adams I was floored.  I saw zero chemistry with them prior to this so it seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

I also hopes this gets renewed.  I know that Ginny can't take the job otherwise the biggest star, after BW, would no longer be on the show.  But, I still am interested in seeing her work through it. 

I feel like the Arthur character was envisioned as being closer in age to Ginny. It seemed liked they originally wanted a romantic pairing there but after BW signed on, it would have been too large of an age gap. 

I am surprised about how much I ended up liking watching this show. It was definitely more of a “feel good” sitcom then one with a bunch of laughs, but it worked well in that respect by creating characters that were enjoyable to watch and developed from their caricatures as the show progressed. It doesn’t look like it will come back on broadcast but the new Peacock service is always an option if the streaming numbers are good enough.

• Love 5

The end of the episode made me unexpectedly emotional; it was just so fucking sweet. 

Its not a great show but its grown on me, and I'm sad if it's over, which it probably is. I live in Kentucky, and tho a few of the stereotypes on the show bug me (like everyone here hunts and lives for UK sports -I'm a vegetarian who hates sports and horse racing-- still, they're stereotypes for a reason), I LOVE how inclusive and kind snd loving everyone on the show is. Seeing everyone at the drag club all decked out in feathers and wings and wigs and boas just made me tear up. Sweet. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

I feel like the Arthur character was envisioned as being closer in age to Ginny. It seemed liked they originally wanted a romantic pairing there but after BW signed on, it would have been too large of an age gap. 

I am surprised about how much I ended up liking watching this show. It was definitely more of a “feel good” sitcom then one with a bunch of laughs, but it worked well in that respect by creating characters that were enjoyable to watch and developed from their caricatures as the show progressed. It doesn’t look like it will come back on broadcast but the new Peacock service is always an option if the streaming numbers are good enough.

I think Arthur and Adams have a large age gap too, but for some reason, it doesn’t bother me the way the thought of Arthur and Ginny does.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

I think Arthur and Adams have a large age gap too, but for some reason, it doesn’t bother me the way the thought of Arthur and Ginny does.

I don't necessarily want to see Arthur and Adams together but I agree that it's much less bothersome than Arthur/Ginny. For me, Ginny comes off as unready to be in a relationship right now due to being in the middle of a divorce and always preoccupied with Cash (and Wayne to an extent). And even though she doesn't want to reconcile with Wayne, she did just sleep with him again pretty recently so it seems like she still needs to get past all of her Wayne stuff before she's ready to be in any kind of serious relationship. On top of that, she seems emotionally immature in many ways (not that I'm saying Arthur isn't too, but I'm talking about the differences between Ginny vs Adams).

Adams, on the other hand, seems like she's in a place where she could be in a relationship. As far as we know, she doesn't have any major emotional baggage that still needs to be dealt with or resolved (heh, I mean, aside from already having a boyfriend and a non-murdered husband).

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

This is the perfect example of age being more than just a number. Ginny seems much younger and unsure about herself. She reminds me of the type of person who has never been on their own. She's been a wife, she's been a mother but as an adult she's not quite just been Ginny. Adams, otoh, has been on her own for a while. She knows who she is as in individual. So while Ginny seems emotionally like she's in her lower to mid 20s, Adams could easily be 30s-early 40s. 

I don't ship Arthur with anyone, this isn't that kind of show for me, but I assumed the show was going to go with Arthur Ginny so I was shocked (in a good way) at the Arthur/Adams kiss. It was an interesting choice. 

• Love 3

Not the way I expected this episode to go, but I loved it and it gave us some closure while leaving a lot of story open for next season. I hope that we get another season, its such a fun sweet show with a really good cast that just seems to be getting better. 

Plus, its fun seeing a show set in Kentucky, as I lived there for a few years (actually pretty close to the Cumberlands!) and there arent a lot of shows that I can think of set there! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Spicymustard said:

Awww. I didn’t realize the season would be so short. I loved it and really hope there is more to come. 

As far as I know, it was as short as it was because NBC declined to order what they (the TV industry, not just NBC) call “the back 9”—the last 9 episodes in a normal full season for many TV shows (some shows can receive orders for more than 22 episodes a season, but these are more often dramas than comedies), or any other number of episodes (or scripts for possible episodes) above the original 13 episodes up to 22 normally. Another poster upthread, however, commented the season was so short to accommodate Bradley Whitford (but didn’t elaborate on how).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

As far as I know, it was as short as it was because NBC declined to order what they (the TV industry, not just NBC) call “the back 9”—the last 9 episodes in a normal full season for many TV shows (some shows can receive orders for more than 22 episodes a season, but these are more often dramas than comedies), or any other number of episodes (or scripts for possible episodes) above the original 13 episodes up to 22 normally. Another poster upthread, however, commented the season was so short to accommodate Bradley Whitford (but didn’t elaborate on how).

It was reported by Deadline and other sources that Bradley Whitford was only available for 13 episodes.

• Love 2

It was fine?  A good season finale.  It would have been ridiculous if they had won, in my opinion. But it would also have been sad if they didn't do well. Cancelling the competition was a good alternative.

"Platonic cuddling is the answer to all of life's problems" is the kind of merch I would buy.

If they were going to do this plotline, I wish Keith had been a more credible drag queen. I mean, James Monroe Iglehart has other jobs. He couldn't be expected to do all the shaving an waxing and whatnot for this tiny role. But that look was half-assed. A Party City wig, some red lipstick, and some fake eyelashes do not make a drag queen. 

It felt dumb to make Ginny choose between going to a practice (that Arthur changed last minute so there would actually be 2 practices) and doing her job interview. It would be more interesting for her to do a good job at her interview at then face the decision. 

"Spirit in the Sky" was a great song choice.

The Cher number and the kiss were a weird way to end the show if they don't get a second season.