Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: The Phantom of Bonny Scot

• Start Topic

When Nancy's quest to clear Carson's name clashes with Owen's pursuit of justice for the victims of the Bonny Scot, she must decide how far she's willing to go to get her dad out of jail.

Promo:

Original air date: 1/22/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

That was a good episode! Like last week's, it didn't rely too heavily on ghost stuff -- there was some, but Nancy mostly solved this week's problem with intelligence and trickery. 

I couldn't care less about whether Nancy and Owen get together, but I'm liking the possible George/Nick pairing. George is probably the best character on the show, and she and Nick have good chemistry. I figured he'd buy the restaurant, and I think that works well, story-wise. If they're not accountable to some other owner, the gang running off whenever they feel like it makes more sense.

I also like Lisbeth and Bess. Thank you, Lisbeth, for getting Bess to drop the fake American accent! I've been waiting for that. It seemed like Maddison's acting instantly improved when she could use her actual accent, too. Even though I like the couple, I don't mind the idea of this new precious minerals heiress coming in and possibly shaking things up.

(Also, I guess Bess actually is a Marvin -- either that or the matriarch thinks she'll be useful enough in that business deal to gaslight her a little longer. I do find it suspicious that everyone's welcomed her so quickly, but whether or not she's a Marvin, if she's useful for making them money it makes sense. I guess we'll see.)

I feel like the show's finally hitting its stride, building up the relationships between different characters and tying the different stories together. Hope it continues!

• Love 7

I thought Lisbeth revealed she was police a little to early. After the arrest, I thought the Hudson family would be in crisis mode, destroying evidence, letting slip secrets, confiding in their closest associates, etc.

• Love 3

So.... funny story!  I spent this entire episode feeling like I missed a few things, so I hop on here and discover that apparently the show actually returned last week and I'm behind an episode, apparently.  I figured it was coming back the same time as Riverdale, but I guess that is what I get for assuming.  I'll try and catch that one tomorrow, I guess.

Glad that they are letting Bess use her normal accent now, since Maddison Jaizani is ten times hotter with her British voice (and that's saying something.)  She and Lisbeth are nice together, but it sounds like she is going to end up having to decide if this relationship is more important or being a Marvin is, since it sounds like it is expected of her not to be with a "commoner" long-term.  Ah, rich socialites!

Nancy gets Mr. Hudson on a bribery attempt to cover up what really happened on the ship years ago, but still not on the hook for the murders.  And it sounds like Mrs. Hudson is even scarier, since she's apparently set up Carson for a date with a shank in prison.  I guess we'll see how powerful Scott Wolf's special "and" billing is!

Nick and George are awesome together.  Don't blow this, show!

Hopefully Ace won't be on vacation for too long.

• Love 4
(edited)

Haha, I love that the small town of Horseshoe Bay is still hipster enough to have a combination barbershop/coffee house. One stop shopping!

I officially love Diana and all her truth bombs. I mean, yes, she was a total snob when she told Bess that Marvins don't marry the help, but I was cracking up throughout the dinner with the Hudsons thanks to Diana. Can we keep her around to just keep spilling other people's secrets? I loved that after she let everyone at the table know about Celia's affair with Sebastian, Bess kept trying to eat her soup.

Why did the state police let Lisbeth be the one to arrest Everett? Do they honestly think that there's no more dirt to dig up on the Hudsons? They could have had ANYONE ONE ELSE arrest him so that her cover wasn't blown. But Lisbeth gets a high five for quickly convincing Bess to stop using her fake American accent. Thank goodness!

I'm glad that Nick bought the Claw instead of Ryan. I knew George was desperate if she asked Ryan for help, but she still doesn't know if she can fully trust him. Is that really the person you want to bail you out and to owe a huge favor to?  Having Nick buy it instead also gives him a more permanent way to integrate him into the group and have him hanging out at the Claw all the time (as opposed to him always coming by to get food).

I still think Owen is too old for Nancy. He lost additional points for his text to Bess ("You're meeting [Amaya] for lunch. Tomorrow."). Aren't rich people supposed to be well educated?

Also on my rich people shit list: Celia. First she puts a hit out on Carson and then she throws her phone into the water. Don't be a litterbug, bitch!

• Love 5
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hopefully Ace won't be on vacation for too long.

He's just fishing with his dad so he should be back soon (I never think of fishing as a long term vacation). I was actually glad to hear that's where he was since they seemed to have a bit of a reconciliation last week. I guess everyone on this show has daddy issues.

• Love 2

I found this episode underwhelming and not as engaging.  It felt like an episode of "The OC" or some show about rich people and their scandals.  It didn't feel like much of a mystery.

Owen was the one who found the survivor, not Nancy.  I'm surprised Mr. Hudson didn't have the survivor murdered after finding out.  How convenient that Nancy was looking for the counsellor files on Lucy and the ghost pointed out exactly where they were hidden.  Why not just destroy the documents?

Nick is such a nice guy.  It was pretty nice of him to stay with the ship survivor to ensure the ghosts didn't come.  Not to mention buy the restaurant.  George really put her all into the restaurant.

Diana welcoming Bess into the family felt a bit fast.  

The dinner party should have been fun but I feel we hardly know Diana, Owen, or Mr. and Mrs. Hudson so it was hard to be invested.

• Love 1
(edited)

Clues/info from this episode that may not matter in the future but that I wanted to make note of before I forget:

Lucy's birthday is 4/23/83 and her mother's name is Patrice Dodd.

I don't remember the last time I saw old school cursive like that!

lucy sable.jpg

• Useful 3

How you know a character is too nice. He buys into a falling restaurant in a cursed town. 😂 I’m tired of Nancy and Owen’s merry go round. Screw or move on. George and Nick are definitely going to happen. Can Nancy solve anything without a ghost’s help?  What happens when she solves Lucy’s murder? The series is fun. I wish more people watched it. I know it’s already been renewed.