Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: The Laughing Stock

• Start Topic

…and Bud and Jessica have a sweet moment. 
After the next and final season, I could imagine the Bud and Jessica Show with a couple of guest appearances per season by each of the G&F principals. 

Grace and Frankie chasing down the toilet was sweet too. 

At least Brianna’s drama was not entirely her own fault. 

And kudos (I guess?) for the writers not making Robert’s financial gaff about senility. 
But would $20,000 really deplete the finances of a couple living in a home like theirs??? It seems like 2 successful, retired lawyers should be able to blow $200,000 without feeling it too much—which would completely deplete my savings that is supposed to supplement my tiny Social Security checks. But I guess it’s not going to be “not about the money but about the coverup,” or else why was Bob looking like they couldn’t afford a cruise after he donated $20,000 to the theater group?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7

Jessica was really great in this episode, her comments during brunch were on point. I loved her back and forth with Coyote.

I really felt for Frankie when the cop told Grace not to take Frankie to shark thank, you could see it really hurt her. She rarely becomes this sad and it's not nice to see. 😞

• Love 10

But would $20,000 really deplete the finances of a couple living in a home like theirs??? It seems like 2 successful, retired lawyers should be able to blow $200,000 without feeling it too much

Yeah, this. I get that Robert just doesn't want Sol to know he spent the money without telling him, but these two should be rolling in dough. $20K is a drop in the bucket for someone like them. Besides, they are only just recently married and should have their own finances, so it's really none of Sol's business if Robert wants to throw some of him own money at his theater group.

Also, it's going to take Robert the next 5 years to make $20K driving for Lyft. How dumb is he supposed to be?

• Love 9
On 1/17/2020 at 10:29 AM, shapeshifter said:

At least Brianna’s drama was not entirely her own fault.

It wasn't? What part wasn't her fault? Not being sarcastic - I truly don't remember if there was something that wasn't her fault.

Coyote sure has a sweet face when he's happy. I've always liked the way the actor looks - but he just glowed.

While driving for Lyft certainly won't recoup the 20,000 grand (a very stupid plot), that's still a big chunk of change. They're retired, and on a fixed income (whether or not that income is more than many of us make working). They might not be quite as solvent as they look - depending on whether they're paying a mortgage for that hugely expensive house, how successful their investments are, and how much cash they laid out for the divorces (California is a community property state, and while they played some financial tricks, their exes live pretty well too, so they shelled out a bundle.)

Married couples intermingle their finances all the time, I could see them being old fashioned enough to want to do that - even if it would be ill advised.

Then again, most of the impetus for this plot is that he doesn't want to let Sol know he donated the money that they'd set aside (I think) for their honeymoon. So their actual assets aren't really the point - despite the stupid Lyft story.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:04 AM, Clanstarling said:

Then again, most of the impetus for this plot is that he doesn't want to let Sol know he donated the money that they'd set aside (I think) for their honeymoon. So their actual assets aren't really the point - despite the stupid Lyft story.

I think your last paragraph sums up the issue.  I just think that Robert didn't want Sol to know he had taken the money without his knowledge.  It came from a part of their budget that they had earmarked for a vacation, and they just wouldn't want to dip into any other part of their savings to do that. I don't think they couldn't afford to go on the vacation anyway.  I'm sure $20,000 isn't THAT much for them.  If they could even think about going on a vacation that cost that much they'd have to be pretty rich to begin with, not to mention living where they live.

Agreed about the stupid Lyft story.  I know how little those people make.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

This is really getting silly.  (I know, it's a sitcom.)  Twenty thousand dollars is not this big a deal in their financial position that Robert would go through all these shenanigans rather than just fessing up he donated to the theatre.  But his Lyft passenger's "what the fuck" when he started singing in response to her request they just listen to some music instead of talking almost makes it worthwhile.

Grace and Frankie stealing the toilet back was funny, and very sweet when Grace talked Frankie out of the funk she was in after the cop's words.  I love ending it with "Are you really going to wear the cape?"/"Fuck no."

I've long been tired of the perfectly acceptable things that get labeled as inappropriate about Brianna in her relationship with Barry, and would like to see them continue on as they are, but her taking a job in San Francisco without even talking to him is beyond.  Saying - in the course of an actual discussion - I've received an offer, it's a great opportunity and I want to take it, and I want you to come with me, but if you don't, I'm still taking it, that's good.  But accepting the job and just casually presenting their joint relocation as a given, that's very bad.

• Love 3

Brianna is never going to be okay with the realities of Barry being a part of his kid's life. She assumed it was a sperm donation, not an active thing, but she's seeing now what it means to him. I hope the writers break them up because it's not good for Barry and even if Brianna softened, it won't be enough. (And I say this because I'm a little like Brianna IRL -- I never wanted kids, don't enjoy kids, and will not date someone with kids. It sounds horrible but I'm being realistic and protecting them, too. Their kids have to come first, yet I want to come first.)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, snarktini said:

Brianna is never going to be okay with the realities of Barry being a part of his kid's life. She assumed it was a sperm donation, not an active thing, but she's seeing now what it means to him. I hope the writers break them up because it's not good for Barry and even if Brianna softened, it won't be enough. (And I say this because I'm a little like Brianna IRL -- I never wanted kids, don't enjoy kids, and will not date someone with kids. It sounds horrible but I'm being realistic and protecting them, too. Their kids have to come first, yet I want to come first.)

I don't think it's horrible. I think it's good to know what you want, and what you don't want. It's better for you, and better for any children that might have been born if you hadn't known.

Neither of my daughters want to be mothers, and I fully support them. It's a tough gig even when you want it.

• Like 1