Type keyword(s) to search

S40: Boston Rob Mariano

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Gordon Holmes interview:

https://my.xfinity.com/ed/tv/2020/01/30/survivor-champion-boston-rob-mariano-its-important-for-the-big-names-to-stick-together/

Mariano: I’d like to see Parvati, Kim…those are two old-school players who are smart that I think I can work with. They’ve got to be able to check their egos at the door and I think they’re both smart enough to do that for a while. Sandra has a lot to lose, she’d be great to play with, but I don’t think she could check her ego. She’s too concerned with who’s wearing the crown, her or Parvati. That’s stuck in her head. I just spent 36 days with her out there…whoops…I meant 39 days. I don’t know if I can say that.

Holmes: “Island of the Idols” will have aired when this comes out.

Mariano: OK, well…we just spent an entire season together and I can tell that she still has a chip on her shoulder about that. And you can’t do that, not in this season with these players. You’ve got to be able to check that at the door. Maybe you can get me out first or second, but you’re going to be third or fourth. We need each other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/30/2020 at 7:24 PM, LanceM said:

Mariano: I’d like to see Parvati, Kim…those are two old-school players who are smart that I think I can work with. They’ve got to be able to check their egos at the door and I think they’re both smart enough to do that for a while. Sandra has a lot to lose, she’d be great to play with, but I don’t think she could check her ego. She’s too concerned with who’s wearing the crown, her or Parvati. That’s stuck in her head.

Yeah, sure, Rob. Other people's egos are the problem. 🙄

He's a strong competitor and I'll give him that he makes for entertaining (or at the very least, not boring) television, but I've never liked him—neither on Survivor nor on The Amazing Race. Fortunately, I don't think the group he's up against are likely to be taken in by his charisma and fame, and I doubt they'll let him call the shots or run the tribe for very long. If he makes it all the way to the end, I don't think it'll be on his terms.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Hera said:

Yeah, sure, Rob. Other people's egos are the problem. 🙄

LOL right. I was like, so he thinks he checks his ego at the door? Or does he think he is exempt from having to do that? Either way, lol.

I always go back and forth on Rob. I didn't like him at first but I grew to like him but then I hated that he won RI. In general, I like him, but I don't think he's really that great at the game and the hype he gets from the show (and believes in himself) is ridiculous.

• Love 4

Another Rob interview

https://ew.com/tv/2020/02/11/survivor-boston-rob-mariano-winners-at-war-interview/

So that’s what you’re going to try and do, is underplay yourself? Good luck with that, dude.
No, I’m not going to underplay myself. I’m going to try to create relationships and alliances with people that I can trust and figure out a way to see if I can control this game. I drive, bro. I don’t ride. I’m not going to play who I’m not. It’s all written down. They’ve all read the Boston Rob rulebook. They should know by now. They should know.

I’m not going to try to be somebody that I’m not. It’s not going to be easy, but if I can hook up with Parvati and Kim and other people that need protection too, and they can set their differences aside, then we can do some business. And I think Parvati and Kim are smart enough to do that. I do. I believe they are smart enough to know that they can use me for a while and we can be mutually beneficial to each other in that capacity.

That’s why I voted Sandra off first when you asked. Because Sandra is too stuck in her own head. Even on 39, the whole time out there, all she’s talking about is her crown and Parvati this and Parvati that. Sandra hates Parvati. She told me.

Why?
Because of jealousy. That’s why. I mean, I love Sandra. Don’t get me wrong. I think she’s awesome, but I know how dangerous she is. And I know the second Sandra sees me out there and she knows Amber’s out there, she’ll use that against us as soon as she can. She’ll try to use it for her at first, and then when it no longer benefits it, she’ll flip it against us. I can see three or four steps ahead, and that’s what you have to do in this game. On season 39 she was like, “Look it, how many days did you play, Rob?” “Why? I have no idea. I have no idea how many days I played Survivor. Why?” “Because I want to beat your record.”

Are you that dumb? You’re telling me this out here now and you think I’m going to forget in two weeks from now? I mean, it’s unbelievable. It’s unbelievable just what I heard come out of her mouth. It’s like, “How did you win twice?” And I figured out how she won twice. It’s pretty genius.

How?
You just sabotage your own alliance from the get-go. She made like she was with them and then as soon as there was any hint of any chance of dissension, she just immediately jumps ship, goes the other way. She’s the last person standing from her alliance and she sits with two people from the opposing alliance that have pissed off more people than her and she slides into it. It’s pretty smart. It’s really smart, but someone like that, I can’t play with because after the merge, she’s never a target and I always am. You understand?

She’s always going to sit out of any challenge to eat food and I never can. I’m always fighting for my life. Someone like her, if they make it through the first three Tribal Councils, she’s good. They start taking out the big threats early now because they know there’s going to be a switch in episode three or four or five.

It’s tough for an athletic dude to go deep in this game. It is. They make it hard. So that mentality, you have to understand what each person is coming from. That’s where Sandra is coming from. Parvati might not be coming from that spot. Kim’s not coming from that spot. Amber is not coming from that spot, but you have to understand individually where each person is coming from and what their motivation is. Yeah, everybody wants to win. I know that same motivation, but really, what drives them? What’s going to make them feel safe?

Someone like Yul, who hasn’t been out here forever, or Ethan, who hasn’t been here for a time. I know Ethan has relationships with Parv and some other people too, but Yul doesn’t talk to many people. He’s like, “Man, who can I grab onto?” He needs a friend. That dude needs a friend. Meanwhile, he was in the time machine. He looks like he just got off season 16 or whatever it was he was on. That dude hasn’t aged a day. Man.

Edited by LanceM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I actually liked that interview. He definitely always thinking about the game and isn't just trying to continue his 15 minutes, although clearly that's been extended. He's self-aware, he knows that he's polarizing, that some people just don't like him. And he's just fine with that.

That was kind of adorable, his little compliment on Yul's looks.

• Love 17

Yeah, I feel like Rob is probably doomed, but I'm liking his mindset going into this. He seems to be giving it more thought than Sandra, who is usually awesome but seems a little fixated on the wrong things. Her interviews are pretty much backing up what Rob is saying about her here. I'd love for them to work together for awhile, but it's not looking good. And I'm gonna have to back Rob (and Amber!) over her.

I agree that Sandra is fixated on the wrong things (based on her interviews for this season), but I don't think Rob's assessment of how she won her two seasons is correct at all. I don't think Sandra has ever "sabotaged her own alliance from the get-go". And honestly, Rob should know that, since she was allied with him on Heroes vs. Villains—she even voted with Rob at the Tribal Council where he was ousted. The demise of that alliance was in no way her fault.

I'm also not sure why he thinks Kim would need or want his "protection" or why she would let him control the game for her. Kim ended up being as dominant in One World as Rob was on Redemption Island and she did it without having any sort of producer hype, star power, or previous experience to fall back on. She also managed to be subtle about it. I don't think anyone playing with her saw how fully she controlled the game until it aired, unlike Rob where everyone could plainly see what he was doing, but no one knew how to stop him.

Someone like Yul, who hasn’t been out here forever, or Ethan, who hasn’t been here for a time. I know Ethan has relationships with Parv and some other people too, but Yul doesn’t talk to many people. He’s like, “Man, who can I grab onto?” He needs a friend. That dude needs a friend.

In Yul's thread, I was skeptical that anyone—and Rob specifically—would buy that Yul needs help understanding the game, but it sounds like Rob's primed to fall for it, so more power to Yul, I guess. I cannot wait to watch that play out.

• Love 6

https://www.google.com/amp/s/parade.com/996061/mikebloom/survivor-40-lex-van-den-berghe-amber-mariano/amp/

Welp, Lex is still bitter. 😂

And was I happy to see Rob and Amber in her cross-hairs? Duh! I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t. Rob’s shameless suspension of ethics and moral codes while playing has certainly served him well on Survivor. But eventually that stuff always comes back to haunt you.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CouchPotato said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/parade.com/996061/mikebloom/survivor-40-lex-van-den-berghe-amber-mariano/amp/

And was I happy to see Rob and Amber in her cross-hairs? Duh! I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t. Rob’s shameless suspension of ethics and moral codes while playing has certainly served him well on Survivor. But eventually that stuff always comes back to haunt you.

Yes, it certainly has come back to haunt him, what with the long, happy marriage, four kids, winning a later season, having the opportunity to play again with his wife, and generally seeming to have a very fulfilled life surrounded by friends and family. I'm sure he's regretting everything now!

Shut up, Lex.

1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

Insert Titanic meme: "It's been 84 years..." 🤣

Now I'm picturing old Rob tossing Amber's fire token into the ocean with a little gasp...

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I’m picturing Rob tossing Amber off the door & floating away.  LOL!!!

Nah, Rob would figure out the best seating configuration for weight distribution so they could both stay on the door until the Carpathian arrived. Now if it were Lex with him instead of Amber, well, RIP Lex.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Nah, Rob would figure out the best seating configuration for weight distribution so they could both stay on the door until the Carpathian arrived. Now if it were Lex with him instead of Amber, well, RIP Lex.

Point well taken.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, CouchPotato said:

I’m rewatching All-Stars now. It’s not like Lex didn’t lie or vote off his friend. What a hypocrite. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 8

It would be funny if (rigged of course) Rob won this season and then he could tell Sandra that he is now King. I think I read somewhere that Sandra would prefer that a woman didn’t win so she could keep her “crown” and, would actually vote against it. So, maybe she wouldn’t be that upset if Rob won. 

• Love 1

Rob's embodied the "crafty construction guy" construct so long that I think people forget (including other contestants who need to know better) that he got a psych degree from good school and was allegedly a good enough athlete to walk on to a D1 hockey team that's generally a contender. A lot of years have passed, but the level of underestimation never seems to fade, even among people in awe over his previous successes. 

• Love 14
On 2/14/2020 at 1:58 PM, Jextella said:

I just read that Boston Rob attended Boston University.  That's a pretty good school.   Amber went to Westminster College.  Neither are slouches, that's for sure.

Ha! I never knew this. I went to BU though a few years after Rob did. Also, my college boyfriend (also went to BU -- only specifying cause there's so many colleges right there) went to the same high school as Rob. Small world.

Of track, but it always freaks me out when I am acquaintances with someone on the show. This has happened twice. And it's just like, casually flipping on TV, "Oh, I used to work with that guy!"

• Love 4
On 2/16/2020 at 8:55 AM, tracyscott76 said:

Yes, it certainly has come back to haunt him, what with the long, happy marriage, four kids, winning a later season, having the opportunity to play again with his wife, and generally seeming to have a very fulfilled life surrounded by friends and family. I'm sure he's regretting everything now!

Shut up, Lex.

lmao...right? The thing is, I could have sworn I read some years ago that Lex said he was over the whole thing at some Survivor fan event. He admitted that it stung for a long while but part of why he got over it was seeing how happy and genuinely in love Rob and Amber were and realizing that their feelings were real on the island. So not sure what's going on with him now, unless he was playing up some part. But it's not doing him any favors. 

I hope he was just playing up a part because if Lex still genuinely feels this way then it's not only pathetic to sill be bitter about this all these years later. But also proves that the man has no self-awareness and is completely delusional. Because the fact is Lex was full of shit with this he saved Amber because Rob came to him as a friend and he just wanted to help his friend. 

Here's the real reason Lex saved Amber. Because he and his tribe were coming into the merge down in numbers because he'd done a great job getting rid of every strong male on his tribe, that could be a threat to him. He had a pre-existing relationship/alliance with Tom that he wasn't sure was still a thing, until Amber, back against a wall, offered them a "me, Rob and Tom, with you, Kathy and Shii Ann". 

And he and Kathy both realized that was their best chance to get a leg up after the merge. Not only did we see Amber making that offer to Kathy in the episode and Kathy then going to Lex and telling him why she thought it made sense for them, but Kathy and Shii Ann both later confirmed after the season that it was only then they switched the vote to Jerri. That before that discussion, the decision was dead set on Amber going home. So Lex needs to stop with this damn lie. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
On 2/16/2020 at 12:13 AM, CouchPotato said:

I was wondering if he'd gotten over it yet.  And...I think it's time to get over it, Lex.  You really think Rob/Amber are going to be devastated and destroyed for life over not winning this game?  Or hold a 17 year grudge?  Oh wait, I'm thinking of someone else.  Also, I think Kelly Goldsmith forgave you for voting her out over something she didn't even do.  Maybe ask her how to move on.

I just read that Boston Rob attended Boston University.  That's a pretty good school.   Amber went to Westminster College.  Neither are slouches, that's for sure.

My niece just got accepted to BU!  And she's super excited.  I remember when Rob first played in Marquesas, and I read in his bio that he was studying psychology.  I thought he had definitely learned a thing or two based on his game play.  It's funny, I was thinking tonight what some of these people do for a living, and thinking of Rob/Amber just being stay at home parents who live off their Survivor and reality show earnings.  I don't exactly know what they do, but it's weird sometimes to remember that these people actually have lives outside of the game, and while some may appear over and over (and over) again, it doesn't mean they are living solely off what they earn or aspire to be professional reality show contestants.  Which, after taxes, and 4 Marianos to feed, probably isn't a lot left over after all these years.  But again, I still picture Rob/Amber as the young couple who fell in love on Survivor, went on The Amazing Race (twice), and did some other reality show (I think it was when Rob was trying to become a professional poker player in Vegas-something like that anyway).  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

It's funny, I was thinking tonight what some of these people do for a living, and thinking of Rob/Amber just being stay at home parents who live off their Survivor and reality show earnings.  I don't exactly know what they do, but it's weird sometimes to remember that these people actually have lives outside of the game, and while some may appear over and over (and over) again, it doesn't mean they are living solely off what they earn or aspire to be professional reality show contestants. 

In the pre-show Gordon Holmes interview, Rob said he was renovating houses, and Amber was trying real estate, but Amber kind of indicated in her interview that she was basically busy being a mom to four little kids. But at any rate, it doesn't sound like they're JUST living off their reality earnings (though I'm sure that's helping).

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I don't think Rob is bullying anyone. I do think that Rob can read the room really well and identify peoples weaknesses. I don't think he would have tried the "If you don't tell me who is putting my name out there then you are against me" against someone like Parvarti or even Ethan or Jeremy. He knew Ben would fold so it was the response.

To be fair, this is exactly what bullies do.

I don't really find Rob to be a bully though. He's just super manipulative and his gameplay is like kinda bordering on emotionally abusive in a way lol.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

To be fair, this is exactly what bullies do.

I don't really find Rob to be a bully though. He's just super manipulative and his gameplay is like kinda bordering on emotionally abusive in a way lol.

I guess I see bullies in a different light. I think that they are trying to hurt someone in order to establish their dominance. Rob is playing a game. I suppose you could argue that his manipulations hurt others game play and establish his dominance but it doesn't feel like he has ill intent.

I look at Dan Foley, or Dan from last season, or Russell, or Mike Holloway, or Will or the idiots whose names I cannot remember who took and hid the machete in that one season and I see bullies. I see people who are mean for no good reason and lord themselves and their power over other people because they feel that they can. When called on their bad behavior they deflect and blame everyone but themselves.

Outside of Lex, who is kind of unstable, I don't see too many former players who are all that upset with Rob or how he plays. He seems to get along with most folks and is respected.

Manipulation and back stabbing are expected in the game. Everyone of the people who won did some manipulating or backstabbing. But you can do it in a way that is not hateful or harmful. Or you can be Russell/Will/ Dan.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I suppose you could argue that his manipulations hurt others game play and establish his dominance but it doesn't feel like he has ill intent.

This is why he doesn't come off as a bully to me. He doesn't seem like he's trying to hurt people or make them look stupid/feel small. I mean, I don't think he really cares whether they feel that way or not lol. He just comes off more manipulative/emotionally abusive to me. 

• Love 1

I remember a recap from one of Rob and Amber's Amazing Race seasons, in a scene where he rounded up some local kids to help them with some task, and the recapper noted that his recruiting method was something like "You can't say 'no' if I don't ask you". He's just very forceful in a way that isn't necessarily mean (usually), but very hard to ignore. As seen most recently with the bag emptying at Tribal Council.

I was always unimpressed by Boston Rob, groaning at his reappearance in reunions, etc, until he cracked open my reserve with his genial remarks and funny observations and general manner on Big Heads.

So I went back and watched all his prior seasons, and man, now I am a superfan of his! Having just seen it a month ago, I disagree he said anything untoward in Marquesas. He was so frank and so funny and so heartfelt there.

Watching his gameplay develop over the years, it seems to me he is always just his glorious self at whatever age; and has honed his ability to understand what people's primary underlying need is, and goes about playing to that, or working against that to frighten them into doing what he wants, whatever that may be at the time, long or short term - it's really clever. I thought it was just well-honed street smarts, but see he studied psychology at an apparently well-regarded university.

Plus he has street smarts in spades and a likable personality, and what Rosie O'Donnell at the Marquesas' Reunion referred to as "a million dollar smile", and the sort of personal gravitas and confidence to get people to tell him what they shouldn't or to open their bags at tribal! It's incredible!

And he's strong and team-focused in challenges. (No way Jeremy ever gets to the beach before sundown to throw those rings, without Rob!) 

I find it fascinating to see him work his charm and his personal power and to see these winners flop at his bidding, or flounder about blurting secrets and otherwise shooting themselves in the foot, like Ben and Danni did. It's a whole other, higher level of gameplay, in my view.

• Love 14
On 2/21/2020 at 3:52 PM, ProfCrash said:

I look at Dan Foley, or Dan from last season, or Russell, or Mike Holloway, or Will or the idiots whose names I cannot remember who took and hid the machete in that one season and I see bullies. I see people who are mean for no good reason and lord themselves and their power over other people because they feel that they can. When called on their bad behavior they deflect and blame everyone but themselves.

What has Mike done? I don't remember him being a bully.

3 hours ago, Asha124 said:

Wasn't that Rodney and Dan?

Mike was involved up until the auction when he went against the wishes of everyone and was booted from the alliance for wanting the advantage. Mike was finally less of an asshat once he was at the bottom and had to work with other people.

He was not Dan or Rodney or Will levels of awful but just below it and there when the others were being asshats participating if not rooting them on.

• Love 3
On 2/21/2020 at 1:13 PM, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but personally I'm uncomfortable with the word abuse being casually thrown out at anyone when in my opinion, they've done nothing particularly egregious. When I think of abusive players in this show's history, I think of those two assholes in Michelle's season who were physically and yes, verbally threatening to the other players. I will never forget the episode where they hid stuff around camp and essentially tried to sabotage the camp because they were so pissed the votes didn't go their way.

And when Aubry and Michelle proceeded to ignore it, not give them the reaction they wanted and continued preparing food like nothing happened, the one guy, I think it was Scott, so pissed that they weren't reacting to him, proceeded to dump water all over the fire/food. And dude was like 6 feet tall. That to me was abusive play. I stopped watching that season because I was so uncomfortable by the levels of toxicity and male chauvinism that was going on. 

Is Rob manipulative in a game where many players are manipulating each other, sure. Does he enjoy getting one on other players, absolutely. You can tell his absolute glee playing Survivor. Is he snarky and shady at times about other players, sure. But I've never seen this big, bad, mean bully others have declared him to be. I will always remember what he said about Philip at the Redemption Island reunion.

Yes, Philip was kind of a nutter who benefited his game but he'd already won the million, so he didn't have to say anything nice about Philip and instead he talked about how so many were quick to dismiss and go around insisting Philip was crazy without ever actually listening to what he was saying about life and what he'd been through. 

I have seen a lot of Rob over the years to feel like I can comfortably say I don't think he's this bad guy and I don't even believe he's a mean person. The fact that Rob was able to put aside what happened in Heroes vs. Villains to become close friends with Tyson after, shows that he can let the game just be a game. And I'm sorry but people who bring up dumb shit he said during Marquesas - like dude was 25 years old.

I'm not saying that makes it right but damn, let's give some benefit of the doubt that he's grown up in those years. Rob is a 45 year old husband and father and people still see him as this 25 year old who came on Survivor almost two decades ago. 

Yeah not only did Scot and Jason do that shit I remember that awful Julia encouraging it. Such a shame about Julia I liked her until she decided hitching her game and teaming up with those horrid guys was the way to win. Couldnt stand her either 

12 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Yeah not only did Scot and Jason do that shit I remember that awful Julia encouraging it. Such a shame about Julia I liked her until she decided hitching her game and teaming up with those horrid guys was the way to win. Couldnt stand her either 

Julia never encouraged it. But you are right she was panning on taking those two goats to the end which would have given her the best chance at the million

12 hours ago, LanceM said:

Julia never encouraged it. But you are right she was panning on taking those two goats to the end which would have given her the best chance at the million

I remember her being just as pissed as those 2 scumbags when they were blindsided and encouraging/laughing at their "Antics".  I liked her with Aubry and Michelle until she decided to stab them. And showed an ugly side! How dare they not play for her and let her stab them for 2 scumbags 

So Boston Rob is not a bully. He is very good at reading people and manipulating them. Why do you think he is still in the game?

Should his tribe be keeping him because he helps so much in competitions or do the pre game friendships and the like make getting to the swap/merge with numbers less important?

10 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Should his tribe be keeping him because he helps so much in competitions or do the pre game friendships and the like make getting to the swap/merge with numbers less important?

Is he 'helping so much' considering they've lost 2 of 3 comps? I don't think they need him for that let alone for any other reason.

I guess I kinda get thinking he's needed for comps since he has and can be quite an asset in them but I don't really understand why they're so interested in winning challenges that they'll keep around someone like Rob to help them in that. Usually all stars seasons have people who realize winning challenges usually doesn't really mean much.

I hope they're right to think they can easily dispense of him soon because I'm already tired of him lol.

• Love 2

He did toss people over the log roll and he does a ton around camp. He totally botched the puzzle in the last challenge and there was not much he could do about the first challenge. That was a 2 person at a time and had female and male teams, so his ability to participate was limited.

I do think that they should vote him out. He has shown that his game is still strong.

22 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

So Boston Rob is not a bully. He is very good at reading people and manipulating them. Why do you think he is still in the game?

Because he's good at reading and manipulating people. You kind of answered your question. 

18 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because he's good at reading and manipulating people. You kind of answered your question. 

In a game full of winners one would think that the other players would know that and target him fast. So why haven't they? Ethan and Parvarti are allied with him in the "Old School Alliance". Jeremy and Adam are discussing why he needs to go, so why is he there?

• Love 2