Type keyword(s) to search

S40: Parvati Shallow

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Parvati's bio

https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/216311/

"I'm sure I will be targeted again right away, like I was on Heroes vs. Villains. So, this time I will have to take into consideration that I may be on the outside looking in at first. There also may be some people playing with me that I have history with—probably not good history—and I will have to clear my mind and see them as totally new, like we're meeting for the first time. I plan to be more aggressive and sneaky in hunting idols, distributing misinformation, letting other people lead and take credit, and really play up that I'm a new mom. I'm definitely not in as good of physical shape as I was the last few times I played, but I have a new stamina and capacity that comes from knowing that I can survive six months of sleep deprivation with a newborn. And, I know that I can connect with people in a completely different way as a mother."

• Love 1

Interview with Dalton Ross

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/27/survivor-parvati-shallow-winners-at-war-interview/

"It has to mean that. I don’t know what that really means. I don’t know what kind of box people can put me in because I doubt they’ll put me in the mom box, because typically in Survivor, the mom box is more for women who are a little more out of shape, who only identify with their children, which I think is bull. Honestly, I think mothers are the most powerful of all of the species now that I’ve come through that experience and had only just had a short time in the arena."

• Love 2

P. S.: I purely love Parvati describing herself as Arya Stark and Sandra as the Night King, I really really do.  I was about ready to give this upcoming season a pass, but that one comment may have turned me around.  🤣🤣🤣

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

P. S.: I purely love Parvati describing herself as Arya Stark and Sandra as the Night King, I really really do.

Right?? She made another GoT reference in a different interview: 

Holmes: This is like the lightning round. If Jeff let you pick a twist, what would you choose? And it can’t be Parvati gets permanent immunity.

Shallow: (Laughs) But that’s such a good twist!

Holmes: Nope.

Shallow: I think it’d be really cool if when people are voted out, they’re able to come back and do some kind of dastardly deed. Like the little fairies in “Game of Thrones” that created the Night King’s army.

I'll give her a pass on referring to the Children of the Forest as little fairies, lol. 

UO but I do love Parvati and hope she can avoid the inevitable target on her back until the merge at least. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was just on Sarah's thread saying how much I loved Sarah and I just realized that one reason is that Sarah is the Un-Parvati.  I hate Parvati's game of sexy flirtation  and Sarah's game of  skilled observation  is just the opposite. 

I'm starting to look forward to this season! May the best woman win!

• Love 10
21 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I was just on Sarah's thread saying how much I loved Sarah and I just realized that one reason is that Sarah is the Un-Parvati.  I hate Parvati's game of sexy flirtation  and Sarah's game of  skilled observation  is just the opposite. 

I'm starting to look forward to this season! May the best woman win!

Same.  But now that she is a MOM and came back to....show her daughter about strong women or something, will that change her game play?  I mean, does she want her daughter to watch her mom flirting her way forward?   I did like the black widow thing, closest thing to a womens alliance and a lot of that was Parvati.  Maybe she'll pull that back out.  

• Love 1

The whole "flirtation" thing gets so overblown and I blame Probst more than anyone else for this as that what he always talks about regarding Parvati's game play nevermind the fact that the reason she won her season was because of the relationships she made with women who succeeded in dominating the game. Nope,, Probst still sees her as the big flirt in Cook Islands as has not gone passed that at all.  Even though Parvati has.

• Love 13
15 hours ago, LanceM said:

The whole "flirtation" thing gets so overblown and I blame Probst more than anyone else for this as that what he always talks about regarding Parvati's game play nevermind the fact that the reason she won her season was because of the relationships she made with women who succeeded in dominating the game.

@LanceM Seriously! Thank you for saying this! She is one of my all-time favorite winners, and I'm sick of people thinking that flirting is her only skill set.  She won Micronesia because EVERY SINGLE WOMAN on the jury voted for her.  Jason was the only guy who voted for her, so she definitely wasn't relying on "charming the boys" to win her game.

• Love 6
On 2/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, LanceM said:

Nope,, Probst still sees her as the big flirt in Cook Islands as has not gone passed that at all.

It's also weird because the "flirt" act got her pretty far on Cook Islands. She was the second-to-last Raro voted out. She did alright for someone who I suspect was cast to be attractive cannon fodder.

• Love 4

The whole "flirtation" thing gets so overblown and I blame Probst more than anyone else for this as that what he always talks about regarding Parvati's game play nevermind the fact that the reason she won her season was because of the relationships she made with women who succeeded in dominating the game. Nope,, Probst still sees her as the big flirt in Cook Islands as has not gone passed that at all.  Even though Parvati has.

I agree with this. I know I have only seen 13'ish seasons so far, but there IS a reason why Micronesia is my favourite season, and a lot of it has to do with Parvati's gameplay. Yes, she flirted in Cook Islands, but she didn't really flirt in her other two seasons. Yes, Parvati took advantage of her looks, but it's not like she was dumb or wasn't capable of doing anything but flirting. She helped form the Black Widows, quite possibly the most successful all female alliance that I've personally seen. 

Yes, she had flirting as part of her technique, at least mostly for Cook Islands, but I think it was actually more about her charm winning people over than her flirting. And maybe that's where I differentiate here; I think she's charming, rather than flirty. And charm is more dangerous than flirty. I guess it helps that I pretty much watched all of her three seasons back to back (CI, Micronesia, and then HvV) so I was able to see more of how her gameplay worked. 

She's one of my favourite players for a variety of reasons. I get why people may not like her, but I fall under the other category. 

• Love 6

Well she for one brought it up a lot as a strategy.  She would say she was using flirting.  
Two, whenever I think of Parvati I think of James.  Man did she lay it on thick with him.  I felt sorry for him.  Three, I realize why she stuck with Russell and she did great with the idols, but ick ick ick ick.  She had to sleep next to him and be nice to him.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yes, she had flirting as part of her technique, at least mostly for Cook Islands, but I think it was actually more about her charm winning people over than her flirting. And maybe that's where I differentiate here; I think she's charming, rather than flirty. And charm is more dangerous than flirty. I guess it helps that I pretty much watched all of her three seasons back to back (CI, Micronesia, and then HvV) so I was able to see more of how her gameplay worked. 

She's one of my favourite players for a variety of reasons. I get why people may not like her, but I fall under the other category. 

Totally agree with this.  Her charm and charisma works on people of any gender in multiple seasons.  She totally won over Natalie Bolton and Alexis and was the glue of the Black Widow Brigade in terms of bringing Natalie and Alexis into the fold with Cirie and Amanda.  And in HvV, I feel like I recall Jerri saying something about how she didn't even want to like Parvati or work with her, but in the end Parvati won her over, became her bud (in part because of her spectacular idol save), and she got Jerri to vote for her to win.

Edited by Matteo
  • Love 6

Parvati herself has said she used  flirting as a strategy and some of the women on her seasons have said she flirts with the women, too.   Call it flirting or charm or  flattery, when it's used purposely and insincerely to sway people, of either gender, I just find it hard to watch, knowing it's so false.

Probst airs the Black Widow Brigade's plan with Erik giving up his immunity necklace to Natalie over and over and over.  He clearly thinks it's one of Survivor's great moments and the show will never tire of ridiculing Erik for that. 

The whole thing makes me really sad every time I watch it.  The women plot together to lie to Erik's face and take advantage of a sweet, good-hearted boy and laugh with glee when he gets voted out.   I know it's all fair game play, but I don't know why we celebrate it.  You don't have to be a strategic genius to come up with something like that you just have to be willing to go that low.

I expect if four men had grouped together and lied to a young girl like that we wouldn't think it was so special.

I thought it was telling that Parvati calls that the greatest example of Girl Power she's ever seen.  Is that Girl Power?  Lying and flirting with boys till they give you stuff?  I thought it was about  so much more than that.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Well she for one brought it up a lot as a strategy.  She would say she was using flirting.  

Personally I’ve always questioned whether Parvati’s flirt game TH comments were hers alone, or responses to producer-inserted questions; once Production had those quotes in the can, I’m pretty sure they’d view advertising the “flirt approach” as marketable as hell.

12 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Two, whenever I think of Parvati I think of James.  Man did she lay it on thick with him.  I felt sorry for him.  

So did I - some - although  I’ve always had the impression that after James’ inaugural season (and his surprise popularity), TPTB kept trying to push James into “roles” which were unnatural for James, but which Production saw as potentially more marketable.

At the beginning of the (Cook Islands) season Parvati gives a talking head where she says her strategy will be to flirt,  Then in a baby voice she says "it's what I do best!"

So no surprise people associate her with flirting to try to win.  I remember her targeting Nate with her flirting; Adam was already taken by Candace.  Jonathon didn't seem susceptible to it - didn't seem to even like her.  Too bad for her that her original tribe was so small.

• Love 2

Actually, in reading Yul's EW interview, this is one of the things that jumped out at me:

Yeah, that was interesting. So, for my season, Cook Islands, it was stacked in terms of talent. We had Ozzy Lusth. We had Parvati Shallow. We had John Penner. And we had Candice Woodcock. All four of those people have been invited back multiple times...

And so whenever someone else came on, I thought it was great to see them play. In some cases, I think people really evolved their game. Like Parvati. I knew she was strong the first time, but I think she really learned from experiences and became a really strong competitor, both on the social and strategy and athletic side. Ozzy, not so much. The guy has one way of playing, and he plays it very well. But it’s not a winning strategy.

source:  https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/20/survivor-yul-kwon-winners-at-war-interview/

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, simplyme said:

I knew she was strong the first time, but I think she really learned from experiences and became a really strong competitor, both on the social and strategy and athletic side. Ozzy, not so much. The guy has one way of playing, and he plays it very well. But it’s not a winning strategy.

Yul knows what's up! 

• Love 1
On 1/28/2020 at 1:24 PM, Nashville said:

P. S.: I purely love Parvati describing herself as Arya Stark and Sandra as the Night King, I really really do.  I was about ready to give this upcoming season a pass, but that one comment may have turned me around.  🤣🤣🤣

Ugh. This stuck up snobby witch! How dare she compare herself to Arya lol. I liked Arya not this snob who's shit doesnt stink in her eyes 

On 2/10/2020 at 10:56 PM, Machiabelly said:

I am hoping her and Sandra form a secret team and go all the way to the end.

I'm hoping Parv goes out early and doesnt come back in 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

Ugh. This stuck up snobby witch! How dare she compare herself to Arya lol. I liked Arya not this snob who's shit doesnt stink in her eyes 

I'm hoping Parv goes out early and doesnt come back in 

Hmmm... I could be mistaken, but I think I’m sensing a certain degree of tension here....  😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I don't remember a LOT of earlier seasons, but what I do recall is not ever caring for Parvati.   I didn't like the flirting.  I also recall her turning on alliances and hurting a bunch of people.   I think what bothered me the most about her is that she didn't seem to mind hurting others (this was back in the day when the players had time to really bond). In retrospect, this is really no reason for me to have disliked Parvati. 

She has always had a unique ability to separate her emotions from the game. 

I'm not minding Parvati this season.  She seems to have toned things down and may have developed a better sense of human emotion now that she's a mother. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

The thing with Parvati that doesn't get to talked about is that she always been extremely loyal to her main alliance. In Cook Islands she never backstabbed her core alliance of Nate or Candice. In Micronesia she never turned on Amanda or Cirie or Natalie or Alexis for that matter. In HvV she was  completely loyal to her alliance with Russell or Danielle. But yet  the narrative you will hear from the likes of people like Probst is that she will turn on anyone which I am sorry the facts just don't bear out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, LanceM said:

The thing with Parvati that doesn't get to talked about is that she always been extremely loyal to her main alliance. In Cook Islands she never backstabbed her core alliance of Nate or Candice. In Micronesia she never turned on Amanda or Cirie or Natalie or Alexis for that matter. In HvV she was  completely loyal to her alliance with Russell or Danielle. But yet  the narrative you will hear from the likes of people like Probst is that she will turn on anyone which I am sorry the facts just don't bear out.

That is true. She has pretty much stuck with her alliances thus her always getting far in the game. Right now, it seems she’s really tight with Rob & Ethan. She might have stuck with Danni but it looks like Danni blew that up. 

17 hours ago, Jextella said:

I don't remember a LOT of earlier seasons, but what I do recall is not ever caring for Parvati.   I didn't like the flirting.  I also recall her turning on alliances and hurting a bunch of people.   I think what bothered me the most about her is that she didn't seem to mind hurting others (this was back in the day when the players had time to really bond). In retrospect, this is really no reason for me to have disliked Parvatti

She has always had a unique ability to separate her emotions from the game. 

I'm not minding Parvoti this season.  She seems to have toned things down and may have developed a better sense of human emotion now that she's a mother. 

Are you sure you don’t mind her this season?  Perhaps subconsciously you do! 😔

8 minutes ago, WhereThereIsLife said:

Are you sure you don’t mind her this season?  Perhaps subconsciously you do! 😔

Well, maybe I just don't care enough about her to spell her name right.  Post corrected!

1 hour ago, violet and green said:

As someone who has previously referred to her as Perverti, soz!, I am rather enjoying her this season. But that's probably because she's teamed up with my new main man, Rob, and she is funny in talking heads when things are going her way. We shall see...

I like a more relaxed Perverti.  

I find Rob, Ethan, and Parvati just as fun to watch as people as they are as players. In fact, more so as people than players 🙂

• Love 2

Parvati looks so beautiful now. I always thought of her as pretty, but, as pretty girls go, kind of average. But there's something about her now that is stunning. Maybe it's marriage or motherhood or just getting older, but her face is so serene now.

• Love 5

Yeah, I always acknowledged that Parvati was objectively attractive, but in the same sense that I would note that someone was tall, or had red hair. But now, she draws my focus constantly. I do think it's a combination of her more mature looks, her more subdued/less "popular girl" nature (at least at the moment), and the fact that she's allied with people I like XD

Some of her pre-season stuff was very cringe-y. She described herself as a "goddess" in her bio (and I don't think this was tongue-in-cheek) and I found the way she talked about Michele being a fan of hers in some of her pre-game interviews to be dismissive and condescending.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Miss Scarlet said:

Some of her pre-season stuff was very cringe-y. She described herself as a "goddess" in her bio (and I don't think this was tongue-in-cheek) and I found the way she talked about Michele being a fan of hers in some of her pre-game interviews to be dismissive and condescending.

Like I've said before I find her Stuck up and thinks her shit doesnt stink. And has her overrated self's ego inflated 

22 hours ago, Miss Scarlet said:

Of course it was tongue in cheek, she is named after a Hindu goddess.

• Love 3

In any of her first three seasons (well, mostly FvF and HvV) I would have cheered to see Parvati go this early. But now...*sob*

The break from being on teevee did her good, I think. At least in how I viewed her. I'm sure she'd be gratified to know she changed my opinion XD

I think Rob and Parvati came back to the game a little too self-assured.  Or at least that is how they were portrayed. 

I give props to Tyson and Sandra for actually trying to make throughtful moves.  Rob just regurgitated his old ways and Parvati seemed frozen in time.  She didn't seem to know which direction to move in.  Ethan didn't get much of a chance to play but while he was there, it seemed he just aligned with what his old-school buddies were doing.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3

I thought Parvati seemed less self-assured, if anything. It didn't seem like her heart was really in it. I'm sure she was missing her baby.

She got royally hosed by the swap but was she was on borrowed time on her original tribe anyway so it may not have made much difference. I was hoping she could at least make it to the merge where she would have more options, but alas was not to be. 

I am glad she at least went out with some dignity by refusing to play Wendell's BS token exchange game. 

She also got kind of a lousy edit considering her place in the Survivor pantheon. We rarely got to hear her POV. I don't expect she'll get much on EOE either now that it's the Tyson & Rob show.

• Love 8
On 3/19/2020 at 12:06 PM, kassandra8286 said:

I thought Parvati seemed less self-assured, if anything. It didn't seem like her heart was really in it. I'm sure she was missing her baby.

She got royally hosed by the swap but was she was on borrowed time on her original tribe anyway so it may not have made much difference. I was hoping she could at least make it to the merge where she would have more options, but alas was not to be. 

I am glad she at least went out with some dignity by refusing to play Wendell's BS token exchange game. 

She also got kind of a lousy edit considering her place in the Survivor pantheon. We rarely got to hear her POV. I don't expect she'll get much on EOE either now that it's the Tyson & Rob show.

I feel this way about a lot of the winners this season.  Considering they had to pay some of them to return (on top of whatever other prize money they won), I do think some of these winners had to be heavily persuaded to come back.  And it would have been a pretty crappy milestone season not to have back people like Sandra, Rob, and Parvati, regardless of what you think of them, and especially because so many other early winners didn't return (and I know Rob won in S22, but I still count him as early as he got his start on S4, and is best known for his early appearances).  

Since it was rumored that Jeremy and Michele wanted to work with Parvati and Rob, I actually wonder if Rob/Parvati would still be there had there not been a tribe swap.  Obviously Denise had her idol, so she could have gotten one of them out that way, but it seemed like Adam/Denise/Ben were at the bottom.  But who knows.  I wouldn't be surprised if her and Rob went even without the swap.  

I know some people have said that, without Parvati being a flirt and manipulator, it's like the editors didn't know what to do with her.  And settling down (is she married?  Engaged?  I know she's with John from Samoa), and having a baby, I can see a change in her. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
On 3/19/2020 at 9:56 AM, Jextella said:

I think Rob and Parvati came back to the game a little too self-assured.  Or at least that is how they were portrayed. 

The vibe I got from both Rob and Parvati was a great deal more fatalistic than self-assured - as if they already knew going in that there was virtually zero chance of making it to the end, but they were going to give it their best shot anyway.

Also, though, I got the impression both were alarmed at the current game progression - like each had brought their own individual set of winning square pegs from previous seasons into this season, only to find the new gameboard was fitted solely with round holes....

• Love 5

I didn't watch Winners at War (heaven forbid) but I did hear that Parv and Rob were allies in it, and I have to say seeing the two of them being besties on Instagram is very heartwarming.  Although both of them have charisma to spare, I can't say it is a friendship which I would have predicted -- maybe for that very reason.  But they're pretty adorable.