Type keyword(s) to search

S40: Yul Kwon

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Man, I love this hot nerd.

This makes me remember one of my favorite Yul moments when, during an endurance challenge, he got talking about elephants and spouting off some random facts about them.  Then he said this is why he can never get a date.  

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

This makes me remember one of my favorite Yul moments when, during an endurance challenge, he got talking about elephants and spouting off some random facts about them.  Then he said this is why he can never get a date.  

"...and that is why elephants can't climb trees..."

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

That's a great interview. It would be wonderful if he could win and donate the $2M for ALS research and get CBS to match. I knew someone who suffered from that and it is a cruel, devastating disease. The person's mental faculties remain intact as they gradually become prisoners in their own bodies and then die. It's a horrible way to go.

I'm not crazy about Yul's plan to maybe become a foot soldier to a power player, though. Yul is an alpha and all of the other alphas he mentions -- Boston Rob, Sandra, Parvati -- know it. They'll let him pretend to be a beta, but they're all smart enough to cut his throat before he can take over (assuming someone else doesn't get them first). I think he's better off with the other plan, trying to ally with the other outsiders. Either way, I am looking forward to Yul Kwon: Uncensored!

• Love 14
On 1/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, Wildcard said:

Yul interview on EW.

He was already one of my favorites. This solidifies that opinion - especially, the Johnathan Penner part

Me too. I especially loved this part:

You talked a little bit about this, and how you’re hoping people will see you as very trustworthy. But how do you think they do see you? And it might be the same answer. You have your book on other people; they have their book on you. Flesh that out for me a little bit, and tell me how you think they see you.
My guess, in terms of how people see me, is that I’m a strong strategic competitor. I don’t know if they see me as much of a physical threat, because I was able to hide behind Ozzy for most of my season. I think people generally think of me as a fairly loyal person that hasn’t built a reputation for blindsiding people, just to make a big move, or to do it in a malicious fashion. So my hope coming into this is that people see me as a straight shooter, who’s not aligned with other people, and that they’d want to work with.

And when I go to like a Boston Rob, or Sandra or Parvati, I’ll basically say, “Listen, I won 13 years ago. I dropped off the map. I haven’t been following all the seasons. I don’t really know how it’s played nowadays. I feel like I need to align with someone who has more relevant experience. What I can offer you in return is a loyal vote.” I think I can play that up to the point where people will confide in me and trust in me. But the reality is I’m planning on playing a much harder game than I did last time…

I really hope Yul can successfully sell feeling out of his depth because it would be extremely entertaining, especially if we get to see confessionals where he explicitly says, "I'm playing this up." I'm not sure if any of the three he named (especially Parvati, who has played with him before) will fall for it. Whatever you may think of them as players and how they won their respective seasons, they all strike me as being hard to dupe.

• Love 3

As if I didn’t love Yul already, tonight just solidified that love for me.  I worried he was maybe playing too hard, too fast, and still worry that might come back to bite him (if he’s seen as being too strategic).  He killed it in the first IC, and I loved when they got back from the second IC and he was like ‘so what do we do now?’ 

Only complaint I had was him going to bat for Tyson.  I would have loved to see him go over Amber.  But in reality, I think even without Yul’s intervention Amber was a goner.  

• Love 1

I get the feeling that he's way too out in front now and is being set up for a downfall a few episodes down the line but it only took a single confessional to remind me why I liked the guy so much. He is by far the most articulate player in this show's history. And he always does in a way that doesn't come off condescending. 

I think I could enjoy an hour long conversation about physics with him and I know nothing about physics. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, loki567 said:

He is by far the most articulate player in this show's history. And he always does in a way that doesn't come off condescending. 

THIS! He is not only smart and funny, but also very humble and genuine. 

Right now, he is THE player I hope to enjoy till the very end. 

• Love 4

Yul has always been so even-keeled, thoughtful, and articulate.  I don't remember him once losing his cool on Cook Islands.  When he had a plan, if someone came to him with a different idea, he gave them his full attention and consideration.  And then there's his voice, which is as smooth as melted chocolate....but smart, melted chocolate.  Even I don't know what that means but somehow it makes sense.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Yul is the only player on any reality show I've ever watched (and I watch A LOT of reality tv) who I wanted to win from day one who actually did win.  Now, yes, I fully admit that my initial reaction had to do with mostly his looks but then he started talking and I fell madly in love with him.  I don't think men will ever fully understand how sexy intelligence is.

• Love 12

I love Yul.  We haven't seen much in the dynamics of his tribe, aside from Cops R Us, and Sandra getting confessionals, but I'm glad he's getting attention over there.  It must suck to be Wendell and Nick.  I think I've seen maybe 1 or 2 TH from them since the premiere.    

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I love Yul.  We haven't seen much in the dynamics of his tribe, aside from Cops R Us, and Sandra getting confessionals, but I'm glad he's getting attention over there.  It must suck to be Wendell and Nick.  I think I've seen maybe 1 or 2 TH from them since the premiere.    

I have a theory the ones with more airtime leave sooner rather than later.  It doesn't always pan out, but hopefully we'll see much more of Nick and Wendell in future episodes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Wildcard said:

Another interview with Yul, specifically about Jonathan.

He'll be matching the first 50K of donations.

Edited to add:

From Yul's twitter, Jonathan playing tag with Yul's children. So adorable.

In this interview, Yul says his decision to come back was driven by a desire to help Penner and Stacy and to raise awareness for ALS.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-yul-kwon-winners-at-war-interview-als/

I love the paragraph at the very end...

"I’m a bit nervous about how all this is going to be shown on television, I don’t think I’ve ever cried on camera before. I wonder if people will be surprised to find I’ve upgraded my Yulbot operating system with emotional software that includes a crying subroutine."

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

I say they give Jonathan the Sia money this season.

I love that Yul and Jonathan are so close still, and you can see how much this is affecting Yul, too.  It was heartbreaking watching that clip of Stacey at the CI family visit and seeing her now.  I’m glad he’s giving this a boost and that CBS did, too.

• Love 11