Type keyword(s) to search

Clarice Anticipation: This Will Be Delicious

starri
  • Start Topic

CBS has just closed deals for Clarice, a crime drama series project based on the famous Thomas Harris character Clarice Sterling, which is set after the events in The Silence Of the Lambs. The project, written and executive produced by Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet, has received a big series commitment.

Mind blown.

• Love 2

^Sequel

Looks like not everyone is happy with the news

Fans Rally to #SaveHannibal in the Wake of “Clarice” Television Series Announcement from CBS

In the wake of the announcement, “Hannibal” fans have been using #SaveHannibal to show their undying support for Fuller’s take on Harris’ world, which had plans to bring Clarice Starling into the fold going forward. Unfortunately, MGM had different plans, leading them to partner with CBS on the “Clarice” series that will have nothing to do with NBC’s “Hannibal.”

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3600388/fans-rally-savehannibal-wake-clarice-television-series-announcement-cbs/

Edited by CabotCove
  • Love 1

Kal Penn, Michael Cudlitz and Nick Sandow have joined the cast.

Penn plays Emin Grigoryan, an agent with a Ph.D. in library science. Emin is the conduit between the Fly Team and ViCAP’s growing database, as opposed to Clarice’s unique knowledge of Behavioral Sciences. A former curator for the Smithsonian, FBI is, for him, a second career. With expertise in all things archival — from insects, to ancient manuscripts, to missing children. Grigoryan makes the dryest patterns of forensic evidence feel like they came from Dante.

Cudlitz (The Kids Are Alright, The Walking Dead) plays Paul Krendler. Leader of the VICAP Fly Team. Paul grew up in the second-best house in the second-best neighborhood in Hershey, Penn. His father was an executive at Hershey Park. Paul hated ‘The Sweetest Place on Earth’ with a vehemence. A truly gifted investigator for the Department of Justice, with solid legal skills. Krendler is also wily and sensitive to the shifting political winds.

Sandow (Orange Is the New Black) plays Murray Clarke, Clarice’s chief hazer. A heavy smoker. A bit out of shape. Slow to move in the office, but one of your best friends in the field. Hailing from a law enforcement family, Clarke went to Holy Cross on a lacrosse scholarship and a ticket to the FBI. Never made it past field agent, never wanted to. Clarke may present as a knock-around guy, but his uncanny barometer for the truth puts him in a category all his own.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/clarice-kal-penn-cast-speaks-cbs-silence-of-the-lambs-sequel-seriesnick-sandow-and-michael-cudlitz-1202930430/

• Love 1

I agree, CBS seems to be the worst for dullness and then the ratings expectations are always insane but I like the cast so hoping it works out. I’m just excited to see them get to work... or at least quarantine before getting to work.

• Love 1

You know, it's one thing to not bring in the Hannibal Lector character for this series, but to ignore him completely is utterly ludicrous.  Clarice made her name on solving the Buffalo Bill case and her association with Lector.  To ignore it like it never happened makes no sense.  To not even have one character at the FBI comment on it in passing in the Pilot is insane.  No one says they have to bring it up every episode.  Just mention it in passing in the first episode and then move on.  Not doing that is just a slap in the face.  I wouldn't be surprised that if the shows' ratings start tanking, they'll have a special "event" episode where they find a way to bring in Lector just to increase the ratings.

They can't bring in Lecter. His character is owned by a different entity.

This is produced and sanctioned by the folks who own Clarice's character.

This schism occurred when Dino de Laurentiis bought the rights to Silence of the Lambs but not Red Dragon. Because of that Clarice could not appear in the TV production of Hannibal. And now Lecter, Crawford, and other characters cannot appear in this.

Edited by MrsR
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

The one thing that I confess to being a little leery of is how they're going to handle the gender issues around Buffalo Bill.  SotL is one of my favorite movies, but I have to do a lot of remembering that 1991 was 30 years ago, and that they tried (and admittedly failed) to be sensitive by the standards of the day.  Thomas Harris is an outright homo- and transphobe, and I just don't know how you tapdance around that in 2021.

This is who they cast as Catherine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6JpDYcg1tN/

I'm sure she's a fine actress, but damn does it bug the shit out of me that they cast a skinny actress in a role that was canoically written as someone in the size 14-16 range. I know a year is a long enough time to Catherine to drop weight, but they had a chance to embrace body diversity but did the same thing they always do and cast a skinny actress instead. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I can believe that Catherine wouldn't weigh the same. She was kidnapped by a guy who was going to make a suit from her skin purely because she was big enough. I think the trauma of that and the PTSD of being a captive in general could definitely lead her to lose weight.

• Love 2